Steamships Ahoy - Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches

The Bethesda Blog has word that The Brigmore Witches DLC is now available for Dishonored, saying this pack for the first-person stealth/action game is out on Steam, Sony Entertainment Network, and Xbox.com. They also have a Review Roundup showing the favorable notices this is receiving. Here's word:
We’re pleased to announce that Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches, the final add-on pack for Arkane Studios’ critically-acclaimed first-person action game, is now available worldwide via Xbox LIVE (800 Microsoft Points). The content will be available worldwide on Steam and the North America PlayStation Store later today and on the European PlayStation Store tomorrow.

In The Brigmore Witches, you continue your journey as the legendary assassin, Daud, and bring his twisted narrative that began with The Knife of Dunwall to a close. After discovering the identity and intentions of Delilah, the leader of the Brigmore Witch coven, you set out to disrupt her from completing a powerful ritual that will spell your doom. Having already been betrayed by your lieutenant, Billie Lurk, you must rely on feuding gang factions—the Dead Eels and the Hatters—to negotiate your way through previously unseen districts of Dunwall en route to Delilah’s stronghold. Regardless of the way you reach your destination, one thing is for certain – you will finally answer for your treacherous actions and fall before the mercy, or punishment, of the Royal Bodyguard and Assassin, Corvo Attano. Additionally, your power, weapon and item upgrades, Chaos level, and player actions from The Knife of Dunwall will carry over via a compatible save file option.
View : : :
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches
Aug 15, 2013, 04:10
Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches Aug 15, 2013, 04:10
Aug 15, 2013, 04:10

Quinn wrote on Aug 14, 2013, 05:57:
I know how you feel about it, Jerykk. And I understand! But to me, it's a classic case of quantity (gameplay styles) over qualtiy (gameplay). Why should I care that you can Force Push enemies and doors to pieces, if I wanna play as a thief or the other way around? Sure, the game reaches a broader audience but again, why should I care? I don't see it as a selling point.

I still think the game would have been that much better if it was able to focus soley on either stealth or action, but I mostly believe that because I found the stealth part extremely limited.

The same could be said for any hybrid game. A game that focuses on one gameplay style will always handle that style better than a game that offers multiple playstyles. However, I think the stealth in Dishonored is strong enough to hold its own (I played through the entire game like Thief), largely due to the interesting things you can do with the powers. Most of the powers are equally useful in both combat and stealth. For example, pausing time has obvious benefits in the middle of a fight but it also silences anything you do, which I used to sneakily break into glass cases and steal the loot within. Try to get through the game without neutralizing anyone and you'll have to get creative with your powers.

Aug 14, 2013, 12:50
Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches Aug 14, 2013, 12:50
Aug 14, 2013, 12:50

Dishonored is a shooter, not an RPG. Do not compare to it Elder Scrolls games or Fallout just because it's played from first person. That's like saying you can compare GT5 and Mario Kart because they both have you driving a car.

Dishonored is more properly compared to Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Bioshock, Thief, or the old Jedi Knight series. It's built on the Unreal engine, so you won't have any wide open areas. You have a few linear, albeit perhaps contradictory goals(since you can't kill a guy and let him live), but you're free to accomplish them as you want. You can shoot him, knife him, drop him from a balcony, ignore him, knock him out, frame him, whatever.

There are linear corridor shooters where your only choice is which guy to shoot first and if you use a pistol or a grenade and every movement is scripted...that is not Dishonored.

The story was indeed a bit simple, but complex does not always equal good.

Aug 14, 2013, 12:14
Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches Aug 14, 2013, 12:14
Aug 14, 2013, 12:14

Never bought dishonoured, should really pick it up when its up cheap on steam.
Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

Aug 14, 2013, 12:01
Quboid

Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches Aug 14, 2013, 12:01
Aug 14, 2013, 12:01
 Quboid

I found Dishonoured to be incredibly overrated. I'm not sure why I didn't enjoy it to be honest. A large part was the weight of expectation. But I also found it to be strangely slow, not as in stealthy (which would be an odd thing to criticise it for) but in terms of pacing. Also the superficially intriguing game world didn't seem as deep as other open design games like The Elder Scrolls, which is hardly a particularly hardcore series its self.

It suffered for being open-level rather than open-world IMHO - each level felt like the small box that it was, rather than a part of Dunwall.

Aug 14, 2013, 11:31
Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches Aug 14, 2013, 11:31
Aug 14, 2013, 11:31

pnag wrote on Aug 14, 2013, 10:24:
Personally, speaking as a European (Irish person, specifically) - I loved it, and many of my friends here did too.

Then you and I will have a conversation this weekend when I'm going to Ireland on vacation! *balls his fists in anticipation*

Just kidding xD

Mountains of Wicklow, Kilkenny, Ring of Kerry... Ireland, here we come! (second time I'm going. I fucking love your country.)
Currently playing: Gas Station Simulator, Vermintide 2, Horizon Zero Dawn

Aug 14, 2013, 10:24
Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches Aug 14, 2013, 10:24
Aug 14, 2013, 10:24

Personally, speaking as a European (Irish person, specifically) - I loved it, and many of my friends here did too.

Aug 14, 2013, 09:38
Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches Aug 14, 2013, 09:38
Aug 14, 2013, 09:38

Not crying about it, except if that's what you call being observant of one's surroundings.

Never been reluctant to admit that I am and prolly always will be surprised that this game is loved so much. What's one of the worst games you've ever played, Verno? If your answer is a game with a somehow similar appreciation as Dishonored, you might be able to tap into your humanity and understand the feeling.

Aug 14, 2013, 09:06
Verno

Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches Aug 14, 2013, 09:06
Aug 14, 2013, 09:06
 Verno

coldcut wrote on Aug 14, 2013, 03:56:
You mean a European? If so, you found one. I liked it a great deal and didn't find it shallow in any way. Quite the contrary. I just hope the second DLC (will probably only buy it if it's on sale) will be a good deal longer than the first.

Hahaha exactly, makes no sense at all. If anything Dishonored probably did better in Europe than over here, NA gamers tend to like more actiony, linear stuff. "People like something I dont, time to obsess and cry about it!"

Gonna pick this up tonight when I get home, been waiting for the second story DLC to land.
Playing: Elden Ring, HZD: FW, Kingdom Rush series
Watching: Severance, The IT Crowd, The Batman

Aug 14, 2013, 07:26
Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches Aug 14, 2013, 07:26
Aug 14, 2013, 07:26

Though I have to add, after some reflection, a big subjective gripe. I just didn't like the atmosphere at all. I'm all for steampunk if it's done right. This entire semi-ominous cheesiness that was Dishonored rubbed me the wrong way.

Aug 14, 2013, 05:57
Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches Aug 14, 2013, 05:57
Aug 14, 2013, 05:57

I know how you feel about it, Jerykk. And I understand! But to me, it's a classic case of quantity (gameplay styles) over qualtiy (gameplay). Why should I care that you can Force Push enemies and doors to pieces, if I wanna play as a thief or the other way around? Sure, the game reaches a broader audience but again, why should I care? I don't see it as a selling point.

I still think the game would have been that much better if it was able to focus soley on either stealth or action, but I mostly believe that because I found the stealth part extremely limited.

Aug 14, 2013, 05:54
J
Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches Aug 14, 2013, 05:54
Aug 14, 2013, 05:54
J

I'm a European who enjoyed Dishonored; Spartacus.
nin: This forum is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Blue: What do you mean, "biblical"?
xXBatmanXx: What he means is Old BBS, El Presidente, real wrath of SysOp type stuff.

Aug 14, 2013, 05:33
Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches Aug 14, 2013, 05:33
Aug 14, 2013, 05:33

Quinn wrote on Aug 14, 2013, 03:39:
I yet have to find a Europian who likes Dishonored. All my friends, colleagues and acquaintences found the game as shallow and lifeless as me. This is either a sick coincidence, or something worth studying (since the americans tend to get arroused by the mere thought of the game), or ppl are just afraid to disagree with The Vince.

Whatever the reason, to me it has a sense of surrealism that this game is such a success while I'm getting a completely different vibe IRL.

It's really not difficult to understand. People like the game because it has large, open-ended levels that accommodate multiple, significantly different playstyles. Want to play it like Thief? You can do that. Want to play it like Bioshock? You can do that too. Want something in-between? Go for it. What you get out of the game is largely determined by what you put into it. Take the path of least resistance and you'll end up with the least interesting experience, as is the case with every game ever made. Challenge yourself to be creative and resourceful and you'll find the experience much more interesting.

Aug 14, 2013, 03:56
Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches Aug 14, 2013, 03:56
Aug 14, 2013, 03:56

Quinn wrote on Aug 14, 2013, 03:39:
I yet have to find a Europian who likes Dishonored.
You mean a European? If so, you found one. I liked it a great deal and didn't find it shallow in any way. Quite the contrary. I just hope the second DLC (will probably only buy it if it's on sale) will be a good deal longer than the first.

Aug 14, 2013, 03:39
Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches Aug 14, 2013, 03:39
Aug 14, 2013, 03:39

I yet have to find a Europian who likes Dishonored. All my friends, colleagues and acquaintences found the game as shallow and lifeless as me. This is either a sick coincidence, or something worth studying (since the americans tend to get arroused by the mere thought of the game), or ppl are just afraid to disagree with The Vince.

Whatever the reason, to me it has a sense of surrealism that this game is such a success while I'm getting a completely different vibe IRL.

Aug 13, 2013, 22:12
Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches Aug 13, 2013, 22:12
Aug 13, 2013, 22:12

I really hated letting that piece of shit live in my Ghost/No Kills playthrough. I genuinely enjoyed killing him. I probably replayed that duel a dozen times, killing him in different ways each time.
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older