Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Yesterday I saw some bees buzzing about some flowers in the yard when I noticed some of them were actually wasps, though they were clearly harvesting pollen from the flowers. I took note of their characteristics, but was not confident this would help identify them based on previously being unable to come up with positive IDs on birds this way. It turned out to be easy, however, not to mention logical, as they are Sphecius speciosus, or the eastern cicada killer. Easy, because they are pretty distinctive, and logical, since we are in a big year for cicadas (though we haven't actually seen any yet). The good news is that these are not nearly as belligerent as most other varieties of wasps, so there's no reason to think they are going to cause anyone any problems. Except the cicadas, of course.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Let's Go Jaywalking.
Wrrrmz.
Stories: The CW Orders a Second Season of Whose Line Is It Anyway? Well do they?
'Kick-Ass 2' stuntmen rescue suicidal woman on balcony at Comic-Con. Thanks reddit.
Science: If not for clouds and nitrogen, Earth could be an uninhabitable hell right now.
Follow-up: The writers of 'Ed Wood' are turning John McAfee's bizarro tale into a movie. Thanks nin.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: HO.LY.SHIT Jul 31, 2013, 03:44 InBlack

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 02:49:
Speaking of a "working" legal system. Whatever happened to those 2 attack chopper pilots that killed civilians and laughed about it?

Im guessing they got a medal and a pat on the back for a job well done?

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: HO.LY.SHIT Jul 31, 2013, 02:49 eRe4s3r

Speaking of a "working" legal system. Whatever happened to those 2 attack chopper pilots that killed civilians and laughed about it?  

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2013, 18:59 Creston

Cutter wrote on Jul 30, 2013, 17:05:
Those are European Honey Bees. The Japanese Honey Bees have a way of dealing with them!

Revenge of the Bees!

Yeah I read that, and it is insane that bees figured that out.

Creston

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2013, 18:26 MoreLuckThanSkill

Verno wrote on Jul 30, 2013, 14:26:
The Humble Indie Bundle is pretty ridiculous today:

http://www.humblebundle.com/

Damn, that is a great deal. Drawbacks: still on Steam, and I own all those games already except Sacred 2, Risen 2, and Riptide.

Although, it does show $4.78 when I go to that page, for everything but Riptide... very enticing even if just to give as gifts.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2013, 17:05 Cutter

Those are European Honey Bees. The Japanese Honey Bees have a way of dealing with them!

Revenge of the Bees!

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2013, 16:43 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Jul 30, 2013, 14:40:
I grew up near you Blue, but don't recall seeing those. I remember the yellow jackets, mud daubers, bumblebees, and of course honey bees. Those cicada killers look pretty cool, and apparently you can even handle them? They do look scary, but sounds like they have no temper.

As opposed to the Japanese Sparrow Hornet, a massive 2 inch long hornet that kills 30-40 people annually.

That hornet is fucking insane, and needs to be genetically wiped out. 50 of those fuckers will destroy a 30.000 bee colony in the space of a few hours.

Creston

14. Re: HO.LY.SHIT Jul 30, 2013, 15:17 Cutter

Creston wrote on Jul 30, 2013, 13:38:
Yeah, I expect they'll hit him with 50 years at the minimum. I was quite surprised that he chose for a judge rather than a jury. With all the outrage over the NSA bullshit that's currently going on, a jury might have acquitted him of everything except the stuff that he admitted to.

Creston

And yet Nixon was pardoned and Dubya and co. just waltz off into the sunset. America is just so bass ackwards about some things. No one even says tig ol' bitties anymore!

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2013, 14:40 jdreyer

I grew up near you Blue, but don't recall seeing those. I remember the yellow jackets, mud daubers, bumblebees, and of course honey bees. Those cicada killers look pretty cool, and apparently you can even handle them? They do look scary, but sounds like they have no temper.

As opposed to the Japanese Sparrow Hornet, a massive 2 inch long hornet that kills 30-40 people annually.

Stay a while, and listen.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2013, 14:26 Verno

The Humble Indie Bundle is pretty ridiculous today:

http://www.humblebundle.com/

Pay What You Want
Saints Row: The Third
Saints Row 2
Risen 2: Dark Waters
Sacred 2 Gold

$7.40 or more (81% off!)
Dead Island GOTY
SR3 Full Package (SR3 DLC!)

$25 or more (37% off!)
Dead Island Riptide

Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2013, 14:26 NegaDeath

I figure they didn't want to risk the jury being from the portion of the population that doesn't really have a problem with whats going on. At least a judge has the background to know that "aiding the enemy" charge is bullshit. Granted my knowledge of the US legal system is minimal at best, let alone a military court.  

10. Re: HO.LY.SHIT Jul 30, 2013, 14:23 Jivaro

Creston wrote on Jul 30, 2013, 13:38:
Yeah, I expect they'll hit him with 50 years at the minimum. I was quite surprised that he chose for a judge rather than a jury. With all the outrage over the NSA bullshit that's currently going on, a jury might have acquitted him of everything except the stuff that he admitted to.

Creston

I was puzzled by that as well. I chalked it up to my own inadequate understanding of legal wrangling. I am sure there will be a book or interview that addresses that point in the near future.

9. Re: HO.LY.SHIT Jul 30, 2013, 13:38 Creston

Creston

8. Re: HO.LY.SHIT Jul 30, 2013, 13:34 NegaDeath

Creston wrote on Jul 30, 2013, 13:23:
Bradley manning just got ACQUITTED for the aiding the enemy bit. I was certain they would nail that bullshit to him.

Creston

Looks like he's been nailed with pretty much everything else. He's going away for quite awhile.

7. HO.LY.SHIT Jul 30, 2013, 13:23 Creston

Bradley manning just got ACQUITTED for the aiding the enemy bit. I was certain they would nail that bullshit to him.

Edit: Changed URL to more comprehensive article.

Creston

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 2013, 13:36.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2013, 13:20 Jivaro

Cutter wrote on Jul 30, 2013, 12:16:
Jivaro wrote on Jul 30, 2013, 11:20:
This year is the first year in a decade that I have seen more than a handful of honeybees in the same 12 month period. We also seem to be getting our hummingbirds back. When I first moved here in 2000, which is the Oak/SF Bay Area, we had a lot of both in my little suburb. It was nice to have some of that back this year. I hope the trend continues.

Grab some books on Permaculture from your local lieberry and plant some beneficial plants that attract them.

Didn't have to, landlord did. (still a renter for at least one more month ) It didn't seem to make much difference. In fact, the local schools, parks, etc coordinated with the city council in my little nook to try to help by planting friendly species of plants. It is kind of predictable that a year after the funding ran out for most of it....I start to see some results. This is California after all. We are known our political and cultural ADD.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2013, 12:16 Cutter

Jivaro wrote on Jul 30, 2013, 11:20:
This year is the first year in a decade that I have seen more than a handful of honeybees in the same 12 month period. We also seem to be getting our hummingbirds back. When I first moved here in 2000, which is the Oak/SF Bay Area, we had a lot of both in my little suburb. It was nice to have some of that back this year. I hope the trend continues.

Grab some books on Permaculture from your local lieberry and plant some beneficial plants that attract them.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2013, 12:14 Cutter

I'm quite fond of bees. I've oft considered getting into the apiary business. That would be the bee's knees.

Something odd about that stuntman story. Really. What are the odds?

Edit: Now I'm all getting my Monty Python on....Eric the Half-a-bee!

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 2013, 12:54.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2013, 11:20 Jivaro

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2013, 11:13  Blue 

InBlack wrote on Jul 30, 2013, 10:30:
Its a shame you didnt see bees. Apparently they are dying off by the billions...

Oh I did see bees as well. I know there is a serious concern about colony collapse, but it's not very evident from our yard, as we have honeybees, carpenter bees, and bumblebees along with paper wasps and yellow jackets. I just had never noticed this variety of wasp before, so I wanted to investigate to see how aggressive they are.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2013, 10:30 InBlack

Its a shame you didnt see bees. Apparently they are dying off by the billions...  

I have a nifty blue line!

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo