Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

It's an impressive development to add the ability to receive Emergency Broadcast Network alerts on mobile phones, as this seems a far more reliable way to warn people about emergencies than via TV and radio alerts. Last night seemed to be an overreach in this regard, however, as my phone started screeching at 3:51 am to inform me that there was an Amber Alert in Manhattan for a tan Lexus. It's not that a missing child isn't a serious matter, but waiting until almost 4:00 am to broadcast an alert for a child abducted by her mentally ill mother some 12 hours before more than 50 miles away doesn't seem the most logical use of the system, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was some sort of mistake. Anyway, here's hoping they find that baby and her mom and that everyone's okay.

P.S.: Sorry about the delayed update this morning, as it had to wait for Network Solutions to sort out its DNS services.

Alert Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Contra Z.
Frank N Slime.
Stories: ABC Announces Its 2013 Fall Premiere Dates, Including Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Fox Cancels American Dad, TBS Picks Up American Dad.
Science: Why are some people mosquito magnets? Thanks Slashdot.
Evidence for a Martian Ocean. Thanks Slashdot.
Brain Test to Diagnose A.D.H.D. Is Approved.
Media: Stephen mocks KTVU for their reporting on Asiana 214 crash. Thanks nin.
Never Trust a Picture on the Internet.
This is why you don't brake-check a car in your motorcycle.
Follow-up: Twinkies return to store shelves, may be smaller than people recall.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 18, 2013, 01:08 Retired

Sepharo wrote on Jul 17, 2013, 23:30:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 17, 2013, 23:07:
Almost nude ads are back. "Male Gamers Only". Then when I clicked, post reply, NCAA Football banner came up.

If it's the same one that I just capped:
http://i.imgur.com/cp2xQ0x.png
That's not too bad.

NOpe, white/blond hair with a white/nude dress, huge cans. I dunno, racy for a front page banner on the site.....also rated M....

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2013, 23:30 Sepharo

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 17, 2013, 23:07:
Almost nude ads are back. "Male Gamers Only". Then when I clicked, post reply, NCAA Football banner came up.

If it's the same one that I just capped:
http://i.imgur.com/cp2xQ0x.png
That's not too bad.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2013, 23:07 Retired

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2013, 22:25 PropheT

NBC News has a story about the amber alert in New York and a bit of an explanation about it, made me think of the OOtB when I saw the story.

Amber alert EMS story

It sounds like the kid is ok, too.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2013, 20:37 eRe4s3r

InBlack wrote on Jul 17, 2013, 11:00:
Fuck that mosquito story there isnt anything new there, and most of the stuff is blatantly false! Like that dirty feet theory Jesus....

Im one of those people who gets sucked dry by mosquitoes every summer, Im also one of those people who are much more attractive to mosquitoes. Let me illustrate. Last night I had a few friends over, it was quite hot in my apartment and so I left the windows wide open. Naturally the mosquitoes decided that it was open buffet. After a couple of hours I was full of welts and it was basically itchy and scratchy show time for me, while none of my friends even noticed the mosquitoes. Thats how bad they prefer my blood over everybody elses. Motherfuckers...

One other thing, I have no idea why this is but they target my hands and fingers most of the time. Then my legs. I have been bitten on the joints of my fingers more times than I care to remember, what gives...

Get a Window Mesh against insects.. have it on all my windows and 0 mosquito's in the house since.. ever. ^^

And to mirror what someone replied to you already, face reality. You can forget being outdoors during certain times if you don't want to get bitten. From Dusk till Dawn is a no-go ;p (Now you know why we call them vampires)

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2013, 20:34 Retired

1badmf wrote on Jul 17, 2013, 18:28:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Jul 17, 2013, 13:28:
That KTVU screwup was some of the funniest shit I've seen in awile. It takes some kind of stupid not to realize those were BS names.

haha if the anchors were anything short of braindead, they would've had the loudest mental "fuuuuuuuck meeeeee" in history as they were reading it.

They jus tread what is on the screen - they have no common sense. I have dealt with a number of TV personalities here in MN in my tech days, and they are dumb as hell.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2013, 20:33 Retired

nin wrote on Jul 17, 2013, 16:38:
Prez wrote on Jul 17, 2013, 15:49:
What the hell was the motorcycle rider in that "brake check" video thinking? Wonder if he was okay.

Fuck him, he earned it.

Someone translated the comments and said that the driver of the car had to pay his medical expenses (sadly).

From the video, the moto is 100% at fault. First he tries to run the guy off the road, then he brake checks? What an idiot. There is nothing in that video that indicates the car was doing anything that warranted how that moto acted. Pass on the right and keep going you AHOLE. (I ride moto) The moto got what he wanted and got what he deserved.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2013, 18:50 The Half Elf

Seriously noone picked up the Anchorman humor here?  

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2013, 18:28 1badmf

Yosemite Sam wrote on Jul 17, 2013, 13:28:
That KTVU screwup was some of the funniest shit I've seen in awile. It takes some kind of stupid not to realize those were BS names.

haha if the anchors were anything short of braindead, they would've had the loudest mental "fuuuuuuuck meeeeee" in history as they were reading it.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2013, 18:03 Cutter

Yeah from what we saw I would have driven off. Hell, if I reckon I could have got away with it I'd have probably run the asshole over as I was leaving the scene. Fucking clowns like that have no business on motorcycles. Way too many self-entitled assholes on motorbikes and regular bikes that are just begging to be run over.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2013, 16:38 nin

Prez wrote on Jul 17, 2013, 15:49:
What the hell was the motorcycle rider in that "brake check" video thinking? Wonder if he was okay.

Fuck him, he earned it.

Someone translated the comments and said that the driver of the car had to pay his medical expenses (sadly).

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2013, 15:49 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2013, 13:28 Yosemite Sam

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2013, 12:50 Cutter

S'funny because I haven't really been bitten much in the last several years that I recall but over the last few days I've been ravaged by the little fuckers. Going out to get some DEET and other biochemical warfare agents to deal with the bloodthirsty little bastards at this point as I'm tired of slopping on the Afterbite, Tea Tree oil and banana peels.

And good that TBS picked up AD. Roger is the funniest fucking character ever!

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2013, 11:19 Verno

I usually just puff cigars while I'm camping and stuff, smoking seems to get rid of mosquitoes better than anything else I've tried.  
Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2013, 11:16 NegaDeath

I can relate to being a tasty treat for Mosquitos. I can put spray on and they'll STILL target me and ignore my friends right next to me. Little bastards, share the pain!  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2013, 11:05 nin

InBlack wrote on Jul 17, 2013, 11:00:

Fuck that mosquito story there isnt anything new there, and most of the stuff is blatantly false! Like that dirty feet theory Jesus....

Im one of those people who gets sucked dry by mosquitoes every summer, Im also one of those people who are much more attractive to mosquitoes. Let me illustrate. Last night I had a few friends over, it was quite hot in my apartment and so I left the windows wide open. Naturally the mosquitoes decided that it was open buffet. After a couple of hours I was full of welts and it was basically itchy and scratchy show time for me, while none of my friends even noticed the mosquitoes. Thats how bad they prefer my blood over everybody elses. Motherfuckers...

One other thing, I have no idea why this is but they target my hands and fingers most of the time. Then my legs. I have been bitten on the joints of my fingers more times than I care to remember, what gives...

Your case sounds identical to my own...I was never much of an outdoor person to begin with, but mosquitoes make sure I stay indoors.

Had a 4th of July where I got bitten over 30 times on my legs. Never again.

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2013, 11:02 Beamer

I turned off emergency alerts. I get that amber alerts are serious business, but I repeatedly got them while I was asleep, waking me up, for something over 100 miles away.

Sorry, the infinitesimal chance one of those was something I could help in wasn't worth being woken up once or twice a month.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2013, 11:00 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo