WoW Plans Microtransaction-fuelled XP Boosts?

A WoW DB Entry shows a new item found in the version 5.4 patch on the Public Test Realm for World of Warcraft called the "Enduring Elixir of Wisdom" which is sold from within the MMORPG to provide double XP, saying simply: "Experience gained from killing monsters and completing quests increased by 100%." This continues a steady trend over the life of the game to make leveling up quicker, though this would be the first chance to pay to not play the game. A blue post from Blizzard also explains they are testing the ability to make in-game purchases: "We are currently exploring the possibility of adding a way for players in certain regions to make purchases directly within the game. As part of this process, elements related to this will be appearing on the PTR. We’ll provide additional updates on our plans as development progresses." Thanks Blend Games.
View : : :
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: WoW Plans Microtransaction-fuelled XP Boosts?
Jul 6, 2013, 00:10
MattyC

Re: WoW Plans Microtransaction-fuelled XP Boosts? Jul 6, 2013, 00:10
Jul 6, 2013, 00:10
 MattyC

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 5, 2013, 23:51:
MattyC wrote on Jul 5, 2013, 18:58:
Did you skip over MC?
Our guilds first Rags kill was rogues, plate, and healer resist only. All the other ranged DPS did without. When we got better at it, we were our servers first 2min Rags kill no resist gear, with only a touch of BWL gear.

Things like that, were fun. It's kinda like the night we had double binding drop. What burned my ass in all of vanilla raiding? I never had my T2 helm drop, and neither did any other mage in our guild. I got my T3 set completed before that and most had a mix of T2/3 before we saw our first helm fall.

Interesting. I was a Warlock back then (a pretty rare thing at least on my server) and I was needed as a banish bot for the second half of MC. As a result I more or less had a FR set before Rag just for that (those things could wreck you if you missed a banish). I guess I just remember farming FR for that and using it on rag because (and on the banish bot duties there).
"I don't like being outside, Smithers... For one thing, there are too many fat children."

Jul 6, 2013, 00:06
Re: WoW Plans Microtransaction-fuelled XP Boosts? Jul 6, 2013, 00:06
Jul 6, 2013, 00:06

briktal wrote on Jul 5, 2013, 20:50:
s1mon75 wrote on Jul 5, 2013, 19:02:
That was back when one person out of 40 could wipe the raid by standing in the wrong place or not running to the wall etc. Since then Wow has become too easy catering for the bitches who thought the game was too hard. It was hard but now anyone can gear themselves with purple pixels. But hard was what made it challenging. I was part of a guild that got a bunch of local guys (mostly) together to talk tactics etc. You dont need that today.

You're right. These days, it's only one person out of 10 or 25 that could wipe the raid.

But when you're running 40 people that greatly increased your chance of some nimbit screwing it up for all of you. Yet you needed all those heals, CC, backup tanks and of course the always stoned dps players.

I guess to be brutally honest, I miss having the ability to game to midnight every day of the week.

Jul 5, 2013, 23:51
Re: WoW Plans Microtransaction-fuelled XP Boosts? Jul 5, 2013, 23:51
Jul 5, 2013, 23:51

MattyC wrote on Jul 5, 2013, 18:58:
Did you skip over MC?
Our guilds first Rags kill was rogues, plate, and healer resist only. All the other ranged DPS did without. When we got better at it, we were our servers first 2min Rags kill no resist gear, with only a touch of BWL gear.

Things like that, were fun. It's kinda like the night we had double binding drop. What burned my ass in all of vanilla raiding? I never had my T2 helm drop, and neither did any other mage in our guild. I got my T3 set completed before that and most had a mix of T2/3 before we saw our first helm fall.
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Jul 5, 2013, 23:13
Ant

Re: WoW Plans Microtransaction-fuelled XP Boosts? Jul 5, 2013, 23:13
Jul 5, 2013, 23:13
 Ant

InBlack wrote on Jul 5, 2013, 10:50:
nin wrote on Jul 5, 2013, 10:47:
WOW...miss the friends, but I don't miss the game.

I miss the pre-WoW Blizzard.
I miss a lot of old gaming days.
Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

Jul 5, 2013, 21:59
Re: WoW Plans Microtransaction-fuelled XP Boosts? Jul 5, 2013, 21:59
Jul 5, 2013, 21:59

Ahh, the first Nefarian kill, 1 am, after 5 hours of raiding. First alliance kill on the server. Those were the days...40 people running around in a somewhat organized dance. I miss that.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Jul 5, 2013, 20:50
Re: WoW Plans Microtransaction-fuelled XP Boosts? Jul 5, 2013, 20:50
Jul 5, 2013, 20:50

s1mon75 wrote on Jul 5, 2013, 19:02:
That was back when one person out of 40 could wipe the raid by standing in the wrong place or not running to the wall etc. Since then Wow has become too easy catering for the bitches who thought the game was too hard. It was hard but now anyone can gear themselves with purple pixels. But hard was what made it challenging. I was part of a guild that got a bunch of local guys (mostly) together to talk tactics etc. You dont need that today.

You're right. These days, it's only one person out of 10 or 25 that could wipe the raid.

Jul 5, 2013, 19:02
Re: WoW Plans Microtransaction-fuelled XP Boosts? Jul 5, 2013, 19:02
Jul 5, 2013, 19:02

PropheT wrote on Jul 5, 2013, 17:49:
Trevellian wrote on Jul 5, 2013, 15:12:
But on the TBC issue he is correct. The way raids worked in TBC was the way it should have been done. Complete 1 raid to get attuned for the next raid. It's called progression. It wasn't tedious.

Whereas where they went after that was the "Invite everyone and his brother who has never played the game to the highest raid currently in game" as well as "Queueing for dummies"

My glasses are not rose colored. I quit the game after it was obvious they were making it a casual experience.

There is literally zero point in devoting the resources gained from everyone's monthly fee to content that only 5-10% of the people playing will ever use.

Personally I liked the idea of keys which was a throw back from EQ. But then I miss 40 man raids, progression that made you hurt and I mean HURT. My fondest memories were our first boss kill in BWL, our first C'thun kill, and the first boss kill of vanilla naxx. That was back when one person out of 40 could wipe the raid by standing in the wrong place or not running to the wall etc. Since then Wow has become too easy catering for the bitches who thought the game was too hard. It was hard but now anyone can gear themselves with purple pixels. But hard was what made it challenging. I was part of a guild that got a bunch of local guys (mostly) together to talk tactics etc. You dont need that today.

As for paying for 100% xp bonuses, its worth little if anything to the regular players and its for the newbies who dont have a wall of 90's etc.

If it was 100% + to faction ... then it would be something worth talking about.

Jul 5, 2013, 18:58
MattyC

Re: WoW Plans Microtransaction-fuelled XP Boosts? Jul 5, 2013, 18:58
Jul 5, 2013, 18:58
 MattyC

I also don't recall ever needing resist gear for anything other than a few bosses in AQ40 and in Naxx, and it wasn't exactly tedious to do as most of it could be crafted half the time.

Did you skip over MC?
"I don't like being outside, Smithers... For one thing, there are too many fat children."

Jul 5, 2013, 17:49
Re: WoW Plans Microtransaction-fuelled XP Boosts? Jul 5, 2013, 17:49
Jul 5, 2013, 17:49

But on the TBC issue he is correct. The way raids worked in TBC was the way it should have been done. Complete 1 raid to get attuned for the next raid. It's called progression. It wasn't tedious.

Whereas where they went after that was the "Invite everyone and his brother who has never played the game to the highest raid currently in game" as well as "Queueing for dummies"

My glasses are not rose colored. I quit the game after it was obvious they were making it a casual experience.

There is literally zero point in devoting the resources gained from everyone's monthly fee to content that only 5-10% of the people playing will ever use.

Jul 5, 2013, 17:13
Re: WoW Plans Microtransaction-fuelled XP Boosts? Jul 5, 2013, 17:13
Jul 5, 2013, 17:13

FloorPie wrote on Jul 5, 2013, 15:56:

Your guild example from what I saw in game was rare. My guild has survived six years by being casual with some serious raiders off and on. Yet, the main reason it has survived has been the leadership and overall quality of the members who wanted to make things work.
Well that's the thing right? It comes down to the guild, the leadership of the guild, and in turn class leads to do their work to make sure everyone is on the same page. By the time Wrath was finishing up the guild I was in was a top 50. Kara and SSC were both quite fun..in my book. What ended up killing raiding for me was stupid gimmicks.
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Jul 5, 2013, 16:00
Re: WoW Plans Microtransaction-fuelled XP Boosts? Jul 5, 2013, 16:00
Jul 5, 2013, 16:00

InBlack wrote on Jul 5, 2013, 10:50:
I miss the pre-WoW Blizzard.
Yeah me too. Those guys were the best.

Jul 5, 2013, 15:56
Re: WoW Plans Microtransaction-fuelled XP Boosts? Jul 5, 2013, 15:56
Jul 5, 2013, 15:56

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 5, 2013, 15:15:
kamodius wrote on Jul 5, 2013, 14:27:

Sure.. if unending grinds for resist gear and soul-wrenchingly tedious attunement quests (over and over and over for new members) and having 15 useless people out of 40 were your idea of fun.

Sure. How're those rose-colored glasses fitting?

/backs away slowly
Farming resist gear war hard? I guess you didn't have any good guild alliances didja? And if anything, the attunement quests were useful for ensuring that those "15 people" weren't useless.

So...I guess that would be a guild problem wouldn't it? We had an exceptionally low overturn rate, because we had a main raiding section and a backup section for those who couldn't raid full time. Worked out well.

Worked out well, until your guild imploded over drama or enough people quit. After awhle Kara attunments and SSC stuff turned me off off raiding. They brought back the attunement requirement for the TOES raid this xpac. It was old school blizz, because the required kill of the bug queen in Heart of Fear, which is the worst instance of the xpac so far. So bad that the Garalon fight is repeatedly beaten by a bug (pun intended) instead of fought normally and Blizz has done nothing about it. Its funny because new folks to HoF have balked at trying it for fear of being banned. These days no one bothers because of LFR and enough people can get into TOES who want to.

Your guild example from what I saw in game was rare. My guild has survived six years by being casual with some serious raiders off and on. Yet, the main reason it has survived has been the leadership and overall quality of the members who wanted to make things work.

Jul 5, 2013, 15:42
Re: WoW Plans Microtransaction-fuelled XP Boosts? Jul 5, 2013, 15:42
Jul 5, 2013, 15:42

kamodius wrote on

Sure.. if unending grinds for resist gear and soul-wrenchingly tedious attunement quests (over and over and over for new members) and having 15 useless people out of 40 were your idea of fun.

/backs away slowly [/quote:

at least it meant something back then, now in LFR wiping on trash because people cant comprehend jack shit. I mean back then even leveling meant something. I played wow the day it launched, and still do on private server. and theres just something about vanilla that other expansions just cant get even close to. (and I also play on the official servers.) so no I dont have Rose-colored glasses !!!

I was expecting micro transaction, when blizz would drop the sub model for wow! So I am kinda suprised.

Jul 5, 2013, 15:15
Re: WoW Plans Microtransaction-fuelled XP Boosts? Jul 5, 2013, 15:15
Jul 5, 2013, 15:15

/backs away slowly
Farming resist gear war hard? I guess you didn't have any good guild alliances didja? And if anything, the attunement quests were useful for ensuring that those "15 people" weren't useless.

So...I guess that would be a guild problem wouldn't it? We had an exceptionally low overturn rate, because we had a main raiding section and a backup section for those who couldn't raid full time. Worked out well.
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Jul 5, 2013, 15:12
Re: WoW Plans Microtransaction-fuelled XP Boosts? Jul 5, 2013, 15:12
Jul 5, 2013, 15:12

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 5, 2013, 12:25:

I miss both, but it's particular parts of the game that I miss. Pre-TBC raids, TBC raids and instances. Sadly when they made it "easier" they dropped the entire quality of the game.

/backs away slowly

Vanilla raids definitely had issues.

I also don't recall ever needing resist gear for anything other than a few bosses in AQ40 and in Naxx, and it wasn't exactly tedious to do as most of it could be crafted half the time.

-C22

Jul 5, 2013, 14:27
Re: WoW Plans Microtransaction-fuelled XP Boosts? Jul 5, 2013, 14:27
Jul 5, 2013, 14:27

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 5, 2013, 12:25:

I miss both, but it's particular parts of the game that I miss. Pre-TBC raids, TBC raids and instances. Sadly when they made it "easier" they dropped the entire quality of the game.

/backs away slowly

Jul 5, 2013, 13:13
Re: WoW Plans Microtransaction-fuelled XP Boosts? Jul 5, 2013, 13:13
Jul 5, 2013, 13:13

deqer wrote on Jul 5, 2013, 13:01:
Well, I didn't stop playing because of the money. I stopped playing because of the constant changes. By changes, I don't mean expansions; I mean, they literally would go back to the drawing broad and make drastic changes to the system, mechanics, abilities/talents, etc. basically erasing everything you've learned (and become familiar to). Quite annoying.

This is largely what stoped me playing that and the fact i am a PvP and ghostcrawler really has zero idea about pvp and ruined the game.
Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

Jul 5, 2013, 13:01
Re: WoW Plans Microtransaction-fuelled XP Boosts? Jul 5, 2013, 13:01
Jul 5, 2013, 13:01

Well, I didn't stop playing because of the money. I stopped playing because of the constant changes. By changes, I don't mean expansions; I mean, they literally would go back to the drawing broad and make drastic changes to the system, mechanics, abilities/talents, etc. basically erasing everything you've learned (and become familiar to). Quite annoying.

Jul 5, 2013, 12:44
Re: WoW Plans Microtransaction-fuelled XP Boosts? Jul 5, 2013, 12:44
Jul 5, 2013, 12:44

Now newer than ever, spend $100 US and hit level 200 in 7 days instead of waiting the full 8 days!
‘What is this bullshit that you people are doing?’
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably.
Beating and Gassing Americans for Jesus!
Ain't no tweetin, in jail jammies!

Jul 5, 2013, 12:43
Re: WoW Plans Microtransaction-fuelled XP Boosts? Jul 5, 2013, 12:43
Jul 5, 2013, 12:43

Sounds like a great idea! Did MS buy WoW or something?

Creston
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older