World of Warplanes Open Beta

Wargaming puts out the call for test pilots, as World of Warplanes soars into open beta testing, allowing everyone access to this MMO aerial combat shooter. Signups are being conducted on the North American Website and European Website for the game, and here's the rundown of what to expect:
July 2, 2013 — Wargaming, the leading free-to-play developer and publisher, today announced that the company's highly anticipated free-to-play flight combat MMO World of Warplanes has officially gone into open beta testing, inviting all virtual pilots to climb into the cockpits of some of the most iconic warbirds from the 1930s to the early 1950s. Open beta goes live today in Russia and North America, and July 4th in Europe. In total, the closed beta saw more than 2.7 million applications from 194 different countries.

Featuring planes from the United States, the Soviet Union, Germany and Japan, players will be able to jump into white-knuckle 15 vs. 15 PvP matches, where supremacy of the skies is determined not only by skill, but also coordinated teamwork and cooperation.

World of Warplanes enters open beta with features including a real-time tactical feedback system to help players learn the best possible combat tactics, as well as crews and crew skills, consumables and various types of ammunition. The game will also feature a brand new tutorial to give fledgling pilots a chance to learn the ropes before they hit the deadly skies.

At the late stages of the open beta, World of Warplanes will also see the official launch of the Unified Premium Account system, allowing players of either World of Tanks or World of Warplanes to purchase a premium account and have its benefits extend to both titles.

As a bonus, players who took part in the closed beta testing phase will also receive special prizes.

"We thank every single World of Warplanes player out there, whether they're just getting into the game during open beta or have been with us since the very start," said Victor Kislyi, CEO of Wargaming. "The game has grown and evolved tremendously since we first announced it and I'm confident virtual pilots are going to be extremely excited when they get behind the cockpits of the game's truly amazing warbirds."
View : : :
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: World of Warplanes Open Beta
Jul 3, 2013, 04:07
Re: World of Warplanes Open Beta Jul 3, 2013, 04:07
Jul 3, 2013, 04:07

Lets get something straight, when I said War Thunder is better than World of Warplanes, what I meant is that War Thunder is better than World of Warplanes!!! I never mentioned Il-2 or god-forbid DCS. This game is not a simulation, its an arcade game thats MUCH, MUCH better than that other arcade game.

Ive been getting to know the P51 Mustang in DCS and this is obviously a whole other ballgame, where even getting the plane off the ground is quite a challenge. (Im stuck on a mission where I have to get the plane to 25000ft, my engine keeps shutting down on account of there being very little oxygen in the air that high up I guess but Ive yet to figure out how to change the air-fuel mixture)
I have a nifty blue line!

Jul 2, 2013, 23:38
Re: World of Warplanes Open Beta Jul 2, 2013, 23:38
Jul 2, 2013, 23:38

I didn't like it the first time I tried it when the closed beta started, but it's gotten a lot more polished and fun now. I really like that the premium days in WoT apply to this game too.

Jul 2, 2013, 19:41
Re: World of Warplanes Open Beta Jul 2, 2013, 19:41
Jul 2, 2013, 19:41

I was at the start of this game for closed beta alpha what ever and I have to say, its still shit! I left when it was in beta, I got bored silly...

Jul 2, 2013, 19:25
Re: World of Warplanes Open Beta Jul 2, 2013, 19:25
Jul 2, 2013, 19:25

War thunder for hardcore simmers? We must have been playing a different game. The only way to progress in early stages is using a mouse in third person and then its pretty much kill two, die once. The deflection shot is even calculated for you, not that you need to worry too much about doing anything other than spray and pray. When jet mig variants,, catalinas and your american biplane fly together, fair to say reality goes out the window and hardcore simmers out the door,

Fun for what it was, which wasnt alot.

Jul 2, 2013, 18:59
Re: World of Warplanes Open Beta Jul 2, 2013, 18:59
Jul 2, 2013, 18:59

War Thunder is based on Gaijin's evolution of the IL-2 engine. I hear lots both ways about it, though most of the legitimate criticism seems more about the gameplay mechanics (small maps, missions designed around the arcade settings) and historical accuracy (theaters and plane match ups) rather than the simulation itself.

I tried it early in the beta and didn't care for it. The basics of the simulation were sound enough though. It didn't seem like much had changed from Wings of Prey, which in turn was pretty similar to IL-2. So far as hardcore flight sims go, it's a dated physics and systems engine, but it got most of the basic concepts right.

It is damn beautiful looking and very well optimized if nothing else.

Jul 2, 2013, 18:19
Tom
Re: World of Warplanes Open Beta Jul 2, 2013, 18:19
Jul 2, 2013, 18:19
Tom

Never heard of either of these before. War Thunder looked promising (great graphics!) until I started reading some of the criticism about using a stick. Apparently it's way unbalanced in favor of mouse users..?

http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/43187-joystick-users-disgust/

Jul 2, 2013, 18:08
Re: World of Warplanes Open Beta Jul 2, 2013, 18:08
Jul 2, 2013, 18:08

Sounds like you play better by yourself anyway, thanks for staying 'in'

Jul 2, 2013, 18:07
Re: World of Warplanes Open Beta Jul 2, 2013, 18:07
Jul 2, 2013, 18:07

And isn't the team an offshoot from the IL2 team or used to work with Oleg?!

Jul 2, 2013, 17:16
Re: World of Warplanes Open Beta Jul 2, 2013, 17:16
Jul 2, 2013, 17:16

Despoiler wrote on Jul 2, 2013, 17:05:
It's funny you mention IL-2 because all of the historical junkies in War Thunder talk trash about its flight models.

Odd. Aren't some of the WarThunder developers the same people who made IL-2?

Jul 2, 2013, 17:05
Re: World of Warplanes Open Beta Jul 2, 2013, 17:05
Jul 2, 2013, 17:05

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jul 2, 2013, 15:45:
Despoiler wrote on Jul 2, 2013, 12:07:
This. War Thunder is an actual sim. The flight models, planes, etc are all modelled after the real thing using real historical data. World of WarPlanes is terrible mess of an arcade fantasy.

They must have entirely rewritten the whole game since last summer then, because what was on offer a year ago was pretty fucking awful from a simmers perspective. If you've put some hours into IL-2 online -- and IL-2 is generally regarded as pretty sim-lite (press I to start the engine, messages flash on screen when you're engine is starting to overheat, etc.) -- then WarThunder was pretty much unplayable. The flight models did not seem to encompass the limitations of aircraft of that era: you could enter an 800km/h powered dive with the FW-190, and quickly pull out of it without bleeding much energy at all or doing any damage to airframe or pilot, despite the fact that the control surfaces freeze up at that speed, and the G-loading that would be required to execute such a quick pull out would render the pilot unconscious and snap the wings of the airframe right off. It didn't help that the community was completely retarded and didn't have even a basic grasp of fighter tactics, the use of energy in air combat, or teamwork. A buddy and I would drag and bag in our 190s and were completely untouchable because no one could seem to figure out that altitude IS an advantage, and would instead take off and head straight to enemy territory without building up the "energy bank". Disappointing game that got boring very quickly. I'll stick with IL-2 for WWII air combat, and DCS for combat flight simulation in general.

Flight models get applied to the planes as they are finished not as the planes are made available. Until then they just have a default flight model. It's funny you mention IL-2 because all of the historical junkies in War Thunder talk trash about its flight models.

Jul 2, 2013, 15:45
Re: World of Warplanes Open Beta Jul 2, 2013, 15:45
Jul 2, 2013, 15:45

Despoiler wrote on Jul 2, 2013, 12:07:
This. War Thunder is an actual sim. The flight models, planes, etc are all modelled after the real thing using real historical data. World of WarPlanes is terrible mess of an arcade fantasy.

They must have entirely rewritten the whole game since last summer then, because what was on offer a year ago was pretty fucking awful from a simmers perspective. If you've put some hours into IL-2 online -- and IL-2 is generally regarded as pretty sim-lite (press I to start the engine, messages flash on screen when you're engine is starting to overheat, etc.) -- then WarThunder was pretty much unplayable. The flight models did not seem to encompass the limitations of aircraft of that era: you could enter an 800km/h powered dive with the FW-190, and quickly pull out of it without bleeding much energy at all or doing any damage to airframe or pilot, despite the fact that the control surfaces freeze up at that speed, and the G-loading that would be required to execute such a quick pull out would render the pilot unconscious and snap the wings of the airframe right off. It didn't help that the community was completely retarded and didn't have even a basic grasp of fighter tactics, the use of energy in air combat, or teamwork. A buddy and I would drag and bag in our 190s and were completely untouchable because no one could seem to figure out that altitude IS an advantage, and would instead take off and head straight to enemy territory without building up the "energy bank". Disappointing game that got boring very quickly. I'll stick with IL-2 for WWII air combat, and DCS for combat flight simulation in general.

Jul 2, 2013, 15:11
Re: World of Warplanes Open Beta Jul 2, 2013, 15:11
Jul 2, 2013, 15:11

Not a very good game IMO, the flight mechanics are poor at best. There are better games out there than this, Wargaming did not do their homework making this game.

Jul 2, 2013, 14:25
Re: World of Warplanes Open Beta Jul 2, 2013, 14:25
Jul 2, 2013, 14:25

Techie714 © wrote on Jul 2, 2013, 12:36:
WOW! That "War Thunder" looks AWESOME!

Yeah, been looking at the vids and it looks great. Problem is like most freemium games the prices for stuff are insanely overpriced.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Jul 2, 2013, 14:05
Re: World of Warplanes Open Beta Jul 2, 2013, 14:05
Jul 2, 2013, 14:05

Played in the closed beta of World of Warplanes, and I prefer by far, War thunder.

Jul 2, 2013, 12:36
Re: World of Warplanes Open Beta Jul 2, 2013, 12:36
Jul 2, 2013, 12:36

WOW! That "War Thunder" looks AWESOME!

Jul 2, 2013, 12:07
Re: World of Warplanes Open Beta Jul 2, 2013, 12:07
Jul 2, 2013, 12:07

InBlack wrote on Jul 2, 2013, 10:38:
What a load of bollocks this game is. Much better game IMO is War Thunder. Everything form the grind to the actual plane handling to the missions to pretty much everything is better done in War Thunder.

Jul 2, 2013, 11:15
Re: World of Warplanes Open Beta Jul 2, 2013, 11:15
Jul 2, 2013, 11:15

It sure worked for World of Tanks which seems to collect awards like dirty socks and I enjoy the shit out of it. WoWp on the other hand I did not, controls were the biggest issue for me.

Jul 2, 2013, 10:52
Re: World of Warplanes Open Beta Jul 2, 2013, 10:52
Jul 2, 2013, 10:52

I hate how in a post "World of Warcraft" world every fricking thing from every two-bit company has to be WORLD OF "BLANK" or "BLANK"CRAFT. It's such an amateurish marketing decision...

Jul 2, 2013, 10:38
Re: World of Warplanes Open Beta Jul 2, 2013, 10:38
Jul 2, 2013, 10:38

What a load of bollocks this game is. Much better game IMO is War Thunder. Everything form the grind to the actual plane handling to the missions to pretty much everything is better done in War Thunder.
I have a nifty blue line!
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older