Magic 2014 — Duels of the Planeswalkers Released

Steam News announces the release of Magic 2014 — Duels of the Planeswalkers:
Magic 2014 — Duels of the Planeswalkers is Now Available on Steam!

Ignite your spark with Magic 2014 — Duels of the Planeswalkers!

With over 12 million fans, discover what makes Magic: The Gathering the world’s premier trading card game.

Become a Planeswalker and travel the planes of existence unleashing a torrent of spells and creatures to devastate your opponents. Prove yourself in combat against Chandra Nalaar—a fiercely independent Planeswalker with an affinity for fire and quick temper—then battle your way through the planes to face the mysterious villain trying to pull Chandra’s strings.
View : : :
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Magic 2014 — Duels of the Planeswalkers Released
Jun 27, 2013, 07:02
Re: Magic 2014 — Duels of the Planeswalkers Released Jun 27, 2013, 07:02
Jun 27, 2013, 07:02

Krovven wrote on Jun 27, 2013, 01:31:
Most decks can be unlocked by playing the game. Foil cards are a waste of money and for "collectors". There is zero need to pay to unlock decks if you just play the game.

Fun fact, you can turn off foil effects in this one. If you just want your multiplayer opponents to see your shinies, the foil purchases are even more derp than usual.

I suppose I'm just giving Mooninny more ammunition, though.
NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

Jun 27, 2013, 03:46
Re: Magic 2014 — Duels of the Planeswalkers Released Jun 27, 2013, 03:46
Jun 27, 2013, 03:46

If you a) don't use the cloud saves that are enabled by default and b) don't back-up your saves yourself, then how can you expect the game to save your progress after uninstalling the game? It's not that kind of magic...

If you don't like the game, fine, but you have no argument for it being a rip off when you can pay $10 or less for ten decks to play with. Good luck getting that kind of MtG value out of the physical or virtual trading card games...

Jun 27, 2013, 03:08
Re: Magic 2014 — Duels of the Planeswalkers Released Jun 27, 2013, 03:08
Jun 27, 2013, 03:08

mootant wrote on Jun 27, 2013, 02:17:
Hey I think someone here loves DLC so much they are accepting of things such as "day 1 dlc", "deck unlock keys", "dlc packs (for a measly 2 decks, "foil covers" and 1 campaign challenge"
I guess I was COMPLETELY wrong and this isn't a cash grab. Oh and if you reinstall the game it relocks everything unless you paid up, I WAS SO WRONG and you don't sound mad at all.

This is no different than buying singles in a brick and mortar store.

Funny though, I know plenty of Championship Magic players who like DOTP and the yearly iterations...the 'DLC' is exactly what DLC should be, shortcuts to things that are in no way making the game imbalanced and for cosmetic bullshit no one really cares about.

As for 'reinstalling locks the unlocked items', I know from personal experience that doesn't happen, so yea, I'd take anything you say with a massive grain of salt.

No subject
Jun 27, 2013, 02:17
No subject Jun 27, 2013, 02:17
Jun 27, 2013, 02:17

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 2013, 11:10.

Jun 27, 2013, 01:31
Re: Magic 2014 — Duels of the Planeswalkers Released Jun 27, 2013, 01:31
Jun 27, 2013, 01:31

Mootant you are full of shit.

The price point on DoTP releases is very cheap compared to if you were to buy the physical pre-made Theme Decks. Especially when they are released with new sets every 3-4 months and new Core set ever year. DoTP is for the casual Magic player for the most part. If someone wants to get really competitive, open boosters and make their own decks to really get into pro decks, they will do in in Magic Online.

Most decks can be unlocked by playing the game. Foil cards are a waste of money and for "collectors". There is zero need to pay to unlock decks if you just play the game.

If you think $20 a year is a cash grab, you clearly have no basis for what that means. A single pre-made Theme Deck in real life retails for about $15. There is what, 8 to 10 decks in the base game?

No subject
Jun 27, 2013, 00:25
No subject Jun 27, 2013, 00:25
Jun 27, 2013, 00:25

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 2013, 11:10.

Jun 26, 2013, 23:30
Re: Magic 2014 — Duels of the Planeswalkers Released Jun 26, 2013, 23:30
Jun 26, 2013, 23:30

Given that 90% of your post history is negative, I don't hold much hope in a reasonable conversation with you.

That said, from the Steam page:

* Deck building: Open virtual booster packs of Magic cards to build decks and battle in single-player and multiplayer modes.

* Sealed Play Mode; introduces deck building

That mode is brand new to DOTP 2014, and allows you to custom build your deck. You're correct that in previous versions you were only really allowed to sideboard in cards to pre-constructed decks that were limited, but that's not true to 2014.

Moving on, regarding your comment that the game doesn't even work properly: there are only 2 threads in the first few pages of the Steam discussion around the game crashing on launch. Personally, it launches fine on my two machines.

Is the game perfect? No. There are legitimate criticisms, such as the sealed deck slot limitations. But the game serves as a great introduction into Magic for those who haven't been playing for years, provides a great pick-up-and-play option for Magic vets, is available on all gaming platforms (the iPad version is my favorite), and it's remarkably cheap.

I would hope that in the future, before you take to a public forum to criticize a game that many folks put a lot of effort into making, that you take the initiative to play it first.

mootant wrote on Jun 26, 2013, 21:07:
Ah Magic the gathering 20xx +1 (No idea why they add a year to each game for the past 3 years)
Terrible game, you think you would get a Magic card game that is balanced, nope! You are DEAD wrong.
Lets see what is wrong, oh yes you can't customise your deck, sure change a few cards around but no real customisation.
Decks are broken, weak, imbalanced or downright stupid.
They charge you to unlock decks, oh and if you reinstall the game you LOSE ALL your progress.
No fast forward button, tedious animations.
AI cheats (well basically since you cant customise decks and everything is locked, you are stuck with shitty decks vs AI with better decks)
Game doesn't even work properly, half the people have launch problems.
Limited decks, yes you have to PAY to get dlc which are just more limited decks. Magic 2012 is the same as Magic 2013 which is the same as Magic 2014...exact same game and engine EXCEPT different decks and cards. So why would you keep buying the new game? OH YES, you can't customise the decks or cards, so basically you are paying for the same game, same dlc cards for slightly different imbalanced, predetermined card decks.
Just stay away from this broken rubbish game, wait for a game like Hex or the real magic the gathering game, this game oozes with imbalance, money grabbing leeches and sub par quality.
Playing: Overwatch, FFXIV, Ion Fury
Xbox Live: Heinekev
PSN: Heinekev

Jun 26, 2013, 22:35
Re: Magic 2014 — Duels of the Planeswalkers Released Jun 26, 2013, 22:35
Jun 26, 2013, 22:35

Some of the past decks were a bit stupid (a goblin charge deck when none of the others are set to counter it, Jace's mill deck is slow and boring every time) but overall I love the game. I'm still playing 2013 and I've bought them every year since the series started, for about UK£7 a year you can't go wrong IMO.

I bought the game then downloaded a scene release and extra modded decks last year so for me deck variety and card unlocking wasn't a problem. Most of the DLC is not necessary but extra decks for a small cost during the year I don't find a problem at all. It's diluted from the main Magic experience but there's still a lot of gameplay there for the money if you don't mind that; I'd recommend it without hesitation.

No subject
Jun 26, 2013, 21:07
No subject Jun 26, 2013, 21:07
Jun 26, 2013, 21:07

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 2013, 11:11.
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older