Beamdog: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Pulled By Atari

Though he repeats that he cannot really comment on the matter, Beamdog and Overhaul Games president Trent Oster informs GameInformer that Atari is the previously unnamed publishing partner that is preventing Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition from being sold. That said, the situation otherwise remains as vague and confusing as before. "At the request of Atari legal we removed the game from sale on Beamdog and the App stores," Oster told them. "Atari is still selling the game through their channels. We're trying to remedy the situation and I'm hopeful we can come to an arrangement."
View : : :

Re: Beamdog: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Pulled By Atari
Jun 25, 2013, 21:47
Re: Beamdog: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Pulled By Atari Jun 25, 2013, 21:47
Jun 25, 2013, 21:47

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 21:35:
I know that the usual tards are going to blame this on Atari but what I am really asking myself is how stupid does Beamdog have to be?
With a loaded IP like Baldur's Gate how did they NOT get a written letter of consent from every single party that's been involved with the IP before beginning any work on enhancing anything at all?

That should have been the first order of the day during the planning phase. Cover your bases. All of them. Get written letters of consent and waiver declarations with regard to any legal pursuit of copyright violations or infringement. Get 'em from Atari, from WotC, from Infogrames (= Atari EU), from BioWare, from Obsidian, from Interplay, every-fucking-one. Then, and only then, start working on enhancing BG.
It is outright astounding or actually plain dumb that they apparently failed at legally securing their work properly. WTF?

Agreed, but as we don't have the entire story, maybe Atari is pulling some loophole bullshit because they didn't like the slice of the pie they agreed to before Overhaul started working on the EE versions.

I can't picture a group of supposedly veteran developers(mostly ex-Bioware guys from the old days) NOT getting the basic legal work done beforehand, but who knows.
Date
Subject
Author
Jun 25, 2013Jun 25 2013
  Re: Beamdog: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Pulled By Atari