Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Marvel Heroes Launches

Gazillion Entertainment announces the official launch of Marvel Heroes, the free-to-play superhero MMORPG designed by Diablo mastermind David Brevik. "For over three years weíve been building Marvel Heroes to be an exciting, free-to-play massively multiplayer action game, and we are ecstatic to finally put it in the hands of Marvel fans and gamers alike," said David Brevik, President and COO of Gazillion Entertainment. "The creation of Marvel Heroes has been a labor of love. As a die-hard Marvel fan, itís an honor to give players the chance to take on the roles of their favorite Marvel Super Hero in an epic adventure." Here's the game's opening cinematic which gets all those origin stories out of the way, and here's word on the game:
At launch, Marvel Heroes will feature 21 Super Heroes, each with unique and extensive leveling systems, power trees and equipment. Players can choose to wear costumes from over 70 years of Marvel history, including costumes from Marvelís recent theatrical blockbusters Marvelís The Avengers and Iron Man 3. At any time, players can swap between their favorite Marvel Super Heroes on the fly. Set across diverse locations from the Marvel Universe, Marvel Heroes offers fast-paced, action-packed game play with a robust crafting system, intense player-versus-player (PvP) combat, End Game, and much more.

Gazillion will be frequently releasing updates to add new content to the free-to-play experience, including additional story missions, new playable Marvel Super Heroes, end-game content and much more.

To download and start playing Marvel Heroes today, visit http://www.marvelheroes.com or download the game on Steam.
View
74 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

74. Re: Marvel Heroes Launches Jun 9, 2013, 20:12 kanniballl

Here's my review. And yes, unfortunately I spend a little money to get the heroes I want.

The short version: "Meh" It's not a specific failure in any one category, but at best it's mediocre. Add up a bunch of mediocre score and you get "Meh"

Honestly, they probably would have been better off not firing the Champions Onlines guys. That game wasn't great, but it was more fun than this. And with Marvel IP backing it, it probably would have lasted much longer before being sold to a Korean grind-fest company 1-2 years ago.

A) The gameplay mechanic is... a mixed bag. On one hand, it's Diablo-centric. On the other hand, it's less "fun" than even Champions Online, let alone DC Universe. City of Heroes was an epic game for its time, and even with its primitive mechanics it was superior to this game's point-and-click, point-and-click. No targeting is given so teleporting-bosses are annoying. Heck, I would have LOVED an XBox controller a-la the various XBox Marvel games.

B) Stories and missions are... not enthralling. DC Universe set the milestone for mission "text." Instead of boring walls-of-text, they had voice actors tell you what was going on (as well as offering the transcript). It made it much more engaging.

Marvel Heroes? Like 2 lines of text at the bottom of the screen saying "Go get the macguffin" or "go save <person_x>" Seriously, lame. As bad as Champions Online was in this regard, they at least gave you some funny stuff buried in their text.

C) Customization = FAIL. OK, I get it... they pigeon-holed you into picking a pre-existing hero and one of their pre-created costumes. But I just don't find it that engaging playing a cookie-cutter hero.

I'm really into comics and have a handful of "heroes" I've imagined: names, backstories, costumes, power sets, etc. I take it a bit far, but I guess so do some D&D players and such. Seriously, comics are my bag... I have a couple grand worth of comics (physical and digital).

So... while I guess it is nice playing as Iron Man from time-to-time... it's not what I want long-term.

D) Hero clones... this kind of goes along with C) but playing as a pre-built character is mildly annoying. Watching 10 of them on the screen at the same time is horrible. It really breaks any immersion you have what-so-ever if you are wandering a map and stumble upon like 2 or more of your characters.

I realize they have a story-reason for this... but it's still lame.

E) It's not as "Pay to Win" as people *itch about. The "pay" gives you either an XP-point booster for an hour, a rare-loot-drop-increase for an hour (which really does nothing), and a couple of pets to help you out if you need them. And of course, unlocking other heroes and their costumes.

It's not like you're buying powers or leveling up much with that stuff. It's not like you can by "The Sentry" or "Hyperion" and have an uber-hero instant-win or anything.

F) The heroes are... balanced well enough. None feel particularly OP compared to the rest. So going along with E), it's not like there are any must-have heroes to win the game easier.

Conclusion
All in all... for a FREE game (assuming you can live with the limitations) then have at it. If you like Marvel and you miss Dioblo point-and-click combat then it's not too bad.

But, it's meh.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

73. Re: Marvel Heroes Launches Jun 5, 2013, 16:48 Xero

Redmask wrote on Jun 5, 2013, 14:03:
Like Jivaro said it feels like a kids introduction to ARPG games. Nothing wrong with that but I need more complexity and depth to keep me interested.

Well that's the thing. They are trying to draw in the younger crowd/audience. Just how much complexity can you provide to them that won't make them go bored and think it's too technical to really have fun running around as wolverine?

Primarily playing: Witcher 3 again (2nd playthrough), MK11, Dead Cells, Trine 4

72. Re: Marvel Heroes Launches Jun 5, 2013, 14:03 Redmask

I had a chance to check it out as The Thing for awhile. It's ok, very simplistic game systems that probably err a bit too much on the side of accessibility, I assume to draw in the more casual crowd attracted by the license. After about 4 hours I was ready to move on though, people say it gets better at higher levels but I read just as many posts from other people say it doesn't. It was free but the quality is about what I would expect when I'm not paying for something. Ok, nothing special.

Like Jivaro said it feels like a kids introduction to ARPG games. Nothing wrong with that but I need more complexity and depth to keep me interested.

71. Re: Marvel Heroes Launches Jun 5, 2013, 13:12 Jivaro

I did the beta and tried out a total of eight characters through a significant level range. Here is my brief opinions:

1) The gameplay superficially seems very Diablo-like, but it can only be compared that way when referring to the basic mechanics and basic application of the skill system. The game is not as deep from character development standpoint as either of the first 2 Diablo games, instead opting for a simpler approach more akin to the 3rd game. (edit: When I say deep I mean build variety within a class. I realize that none of the Diablo games are actually all that "deep".) Despite some options in the skill system, Iron Man is Iron Man is Iron Man because as it is currently...only one build ends up being used. Maybe this will change as the game evolves. I doubt it. Given the whole "fuck that guy" drama, I find this to be highly ironic. I went into beta expecting a much deeper game in part because of David's interview. Of course, he was referring to how he would have done D3 not Marvel heroes, so maybe I was imposing my own expectations for the wrong reasons.

2) The crafting system is crap. Again, probably something that will get better as the game evolves but as it stands now...crap. This is an area they really should have looked at POE and applied some of that approach.

3) I wouldn't call it a "Pay2Win" game, but I would say that if you want a particular hero that isn't available for free, you are better off just buying him/her and then going on from there. Acquiring heroes in game doesn't happen often. After that purchase, I can't think of anything else worth buying. Perhaps the uniform varieties if that kind of thing is your cup of tea, but that isn't going to help you "win". Some of Black Widow and Captain America's classic uniforms are pretty cool if you are into the Golden Age comic stuff.

4) This is an "intro to ARPGs" game. Nothing more, nothing less. It is actually quite a good game when looking at from that perspective. For most of us reading this thread, that isn't the game we want to play and it certainly isn't the Marvel MMO that any of us would want. For the 15 year olds that didn't play the original Diablo games and are newly baptized Marvel fans due to the recent movies...this game probably seems pretty damn cool. Particularly given the price point.

5) Storylines and voicing are adequate. Not so good that you notice, not so bad that you find yourself saying "WTF". Except maybe Fury. Face it, since it isn't Jackson...we notice.

edit: Also, in reference to some of the other thread comments....yes, it is odd to spend the time commenting negatively on something you haven't actually tried when said game is free. That said, having not tried it doesn't mean you can't have reliable information with which to base your opinion. It just seems odd to spend the time commenting when you couldn't spend the time to actually give it a go. Just my two cents. It should be noted however that in the case of this game, a youtube gameplay video is more than enough to give enough info to form an opinion. This is a simple game with simple mechanics.

This comment was edited on Jun 5, 2013, 13:17.

70. Re: Marvel Heroes Launches Jun 5, 2013, 11:59 Xero

I haven't played the game so my opinion is more on speculation but does anyone think the devs thought they could win over the public just by having the Marvel license? Like the gameplay could be almost secondary as long as the characters look cool or show some impressive effects because it will sell for the fanbois of Marvel.

I'm not hating, it's just that most license based products sell primarily off the licensed product first and secondary of whatever it's trying to provide to the consumer(most Star War games).

Still, I can't fathom paying for that $200+ Ultimate pack when in the end, it's just 1 game. I don't care what it is.

Primarily playing: Witcher 3 again (2nd playthrough), MK11, Dead Cells, Trine 4

69. Re: Marvel Heroes Launches Jun 5, 2013, 11:21 Alamar

ASeven wrote on Jun 5, 2013, 09:10:
Have you played every single game, watched every single movie and TV series, ate every single piece of food on every restaurant, read every single book and comics you ever criticized?

Yes... Why would someone waste time trash talking something they don't know about?

However, it's a moot point, because, even having played a game (for a few hours), or read a comic, doesn't give you enough information to judge it's entirety. In short, people are lazy and disregarding, or simply, just like to judge/label.

Most people (I have ever known) will not tell you that the music they don't like, they don't like... They will tell you that it's crap : ) This is true of other forms of media, including games, movies, sports, etc...

-Alamar

68. Re: Marvel Heroes Launches Jun 5, 2013, 11:05 KS

Has anyone unlocked Squirrel Girl? Is it a real pet class, where the gameplay involves squirrels and healing the squirrels? Or do you just shoot energy bolts like Scarlet Witch, except it's a squirrel instead of pink blobs? i.e. like the spiders in clay pots the witch docter threw in Diablo 3.  

67. Re: Marvel Heroes Launches Jun 5, 2013, 11:05 Alamar

I played the open beta last month, as Iron Man, and played a few hours last night, as Dare Devil...

I don't know if they gimped all the mobs in the first few areas, or just that DD (or melee in general) is so much more powerful, but stuff was dying sooooo easily this time around. Plus, being melee, I didn't spend time dodging stuff.

-Alamar

66. Re: Marvel Heroes Launches Jun 5, 2013, 10:55 KS

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 5, 2013, 02:35:
Just played for a couple hours... It's Diablo in the Marvel universe. If you like one or both of those things, you'll probably like this game.

Tbis is a perfect description. Played as Scarlet Witch, leveled up a bit, unlocked Hawkeye, whom I have no intention of playing, and am done with it. Never got past the open beta in D3, either.

If you like that gameplay, bon apetit. Me, I was played out after my eight trlionth Pindleskin run in D2, which sat atop many plays of D1.

65. Re: Marvel Heroes Launches Jun 5, 2013, 09:15 Verno

Err, its free though. Download it and play it. You can certainly have opinions but that doesn't mean they will be well informed or should be given any consideration if you haven't even played the product. I treat opinions like that like I treat youtube comments.  

Playing: RDR2 PC, The Outer Worlds, Control
Watching: The Last Kingdom, Twin Peaks, Red Dwarf

64. Re: Marvel Heroes Launches Jun 5, 2013, 09:10 ASeven

Kosumo wrote on Jun 4, 2013, 20:06:
Just a quick question, have ASeven and Axis played the game?

Cos they both seem to be bagging a free game.

Have you played every single game, watched every single movie and TV series, ate every single piece of food on every restaurant, read every single book and comics you ever criticized?

And as was pointed several times, the idea that you cannot criticize something you haven't played is idiotic. Of course you can criticize stuff you haven't played based on the impressions you get from watching videos, reading community and site reviews, from what friends who have played have to say about it, etc.

Such backwards thoughts, that you can't crticize what you didn't play, a thought so close to the horrendous, pro-publisher "entitled gamer" crap, are thoughts that not only don't stand under proper logical reasoning, they also don't stand in any other industry.

63. Re: Marvel Heroes Launches Jun 5, 2013, 09:08 Verno

Krovven wrote on Jun 5, 2013, 00:53:
Free to play does not mean, 'here have the entire game and never pay us anything so we can quickly go out of business and stop providing you the game'. The intention is, play it, if you like it enough to keep playing, buy something to keep them in business.

If you don't like it, you haven't wasted your cash on a game you don't like.

Where I draw the line with f2p/p2w games is when they want to gouge the player repeatedly for money to an excessive level. As a general rule I don't like free 2 play game because of it. But I'm willing to give some a shot.

Yeah I'm with you on this and I think you're taking a lot of grief over nothing. Your comment about POE was wrong, that game has no P2W but other than that I agree with your sentiments and suggest people just give the game a shot. You have nothing to lose with F2P games except for your time and you can stop playing whenever you like.

I will say that I do dislike the trend of everything becoming F2P though, I actually prefer some games I just pay for once and I'm done with worrying about monetizing their product for them.

Playing: RDR2 PC, The Outer Worlds, Control
Watching: The Last Kingdom, Twin Peaks, Red Dwarf

62. Re: Marvel Heroes Launches Jun 5, 2013, 08:13 EUTHANIZE

Saboth wrote on Jun 4, 2013, 22:08:
EUTHANIZE wrote on Jun 4, 2013, 16:20:
If you are a Diablo/Marvel fan this game is a blast. If you didn't like D3 because it wasn't enough like D2, you'll also enjoy MH.

I've been playing since early beta and I really enjoy it. I picked up the X-men pack for 60 bucks, so between that and the 2 free heroes you start with I have 6 heroes to play.

All heroes (and most costumes) are random drops in the game as well.

I might check this out. I like ARPGs, and I like comics. Your comment struck me though...so 2 free heroes, and you paid $60 for Xmen Pack and have 6 total...so you only got 4 X-Men for $60?

Correct, the X-Men starter kit came with Wolverine, Cyclops, Jean Grey & Colossus, some exp/rare item boosters, 50$ in-game cash & a 4 day early start.

Before I had a chance to try the beta I wasn't going to invest any money into it, but once I played for several months I was sold. I'm happy with my purchase, although I don't plan on paying any more money on the game unless there is a really good sale on certain heroes. Otherwise I plan to just grind content for random hero/costume drops. During beta I was able to get 3-4 heroes as drops off mobs, and a few costumes as well so I hope they didn't lower the drop rate.

61. Re: Marvel Heroes Launches Jun 5, 2013, 08:10 ASeven

InBlack wrote on Jun 5, 2013, 03:45:
Krovven wrote on Jun 5, 2013, 00:42:
You support Paths of Exile, and have given them your money. It doesn't matter if you did it while it's still Alpha/Beta. They have a Pay2Win business model that you seem to hate so much. The fact that you don't understand this just goes to show you how fucking dense you really are.

Liar. POE is anything but pay to win. If you had bothered to read about at how Path of Exile works, let alone installed and tried it for more than a few minutes you would know how wrong that P2W statement is. But I suspect you already know that and enjoy lying to make yourself appear correct. I will call you out on it though. You are lying.

And here was I thinking Krovven had become something other than a dumbass and had actually grown some intelligence, guess I was wrong, and I will call Krovven on his lie as well, it's pretty obvious he never played PoE since it's the only F2P game out there that does F2P right and only sells cosmetic stuff. The fact Krovven says it's P2W means he hasn't even played a single minute of it.

Keep digging Krovven, like you did with the D3 discussions. Keep on digging.

60. Re: Marvel Heroes Launches Jun 5, 2013, 06:36 ViRGE

InBlack wrote on Jun 5, 2013, 03:45:
You support Paths of Exile, and have given them your money. It doesn't matter if you did it while it's still Alpha/Beta. They have a Pay2Win business model that you seem to hate so much. The fact that you don't understand this just goes to show you how fucking dense you really are.

Liar. POE is anything but pay to win. If you had bothered to read about at how Path of Exile works, let alone installed and tried it for more than a few minutes you would know how wrong that P2W statement is. But I suspect you already know that and enjoy lying to make yourself appear correct. I will call you out on it though. You are lying.
Although I have no need to be as hostile as InBlack, he is fundamentally right here. Path of Exile is incredibly unique in that it's a true Free To Play game without any strings attached. You can't buy characters, you can't buy weapons, you can't buy gear/gems, and you can't buy content. All you can buy are graphical effects and additional character slots. So whether you pay or not, everyone is on exactly equal footing, having exactly equal access to the same content at the same time. Buying power or buying flexibility simply does not exist.

Marvel Heroes on the other hand falls pretty solidly into the P2W category, due to the fact that you can buy characters and gameplay advantages (fortune cards).

59. Re: Marvel Heroes Launches Jun 5, 2013, 06:26 Ash

Path Of Exile has one of the most ethical business model in the industry, and they get a ton of respect from their players for it.
They are also beyond generous when it comes to what you get for free.

As for Marvel Heroes...argh. God, I wanted to love this game. At one point in beta, it even looked close to release-worthy.
But now it's nothing but a broken mess, with a company behind it that is completely and utterly inept at keeping deadlines, keeping promises or even having any sort of real technical prowess.

I bought an Ultimate Pack during the beta, only to regret it later when I saw that virtually every single major system in the game is broken to some extent, and the overall design of how the combat works is lackluster, to say the least.

If you want to play this game, be my guest. Play it for free. But I'd suggest you play it for a few weeks and see which way the hot wind blows (Mostly, from Gazillion) before you decide to invest any money in it.

58. Re: Marvel Heroes Launches Jun 5, 2013, 03:45 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

57. Re: Marvel Heroes Launches Jun 5, 2013, 03:41 InBlack

Axis wrote on Jun 4, 2013, 21:47:

For instance, if I don't like your face I won't want to fuck you. Sure I could try to fuck you and see if I like it, post a review about how great or terrible a fuck you are, but your face makes me wanna puke so I won't be testing your fuckability. Got it?

Oh man, quote of the day right there. Very good analogy Axis

I have a nifty blue line!

56. Re: Marvel Heroes Launches Jun 5, 2013, 03:13 Krovven

Beamer wrote on Jun 5, 2013, 02:18:
So why play something we think looks miserable just so we know for sure if it's miserable?

Then don't play it. We make that choice all the time. What kind of rationale do you have for people that aren't willing to take a few minutes to try a free game, yet they go out of their way to spend their time bad mouthing the game they have never tried? Normal people don't do that. It's that simple. Pretty sure you don't go onto topics discussing FarmVille to tell everyone how you hate it, have no interest in playing it and think those that do are idiots, do you?

55. Re: Marvel Heroes Launches Jun 5, 2013, 02:35 jacobvandy

Just played for a couple hours... It's Diablo in the Marvel universe. If you like one or both of those things, you'll probably like this game.  

74 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >