Steamships Ahoy - Expeditions: Conquistador

Publisher bitComposer announces the release of Expeditions: Conquistador on Steam for Windows, Linux, and OS X, offering a 10% discount on the strategy/RPG for the next week. They provide a new gameplay trailer to celebrate the news, and here's a bit about the game, which will depict the suffering of the Spanish conquistadors at the hands of the savage natives they encountered in the harsh new world: "Conquer the New world: In the 16th Century, Spanish explorers and soldiers reached the shores of America. The search for gold, fame, and adventure drove these travelers into a treacherous wilderness where they faced hunger, disease, and dangerous predators. In their wake, the Aztec Empires lay in ruins."
View : : :
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Steamships Ahoy - Expeditions: Conquistador
Jun 1, 2013, 04:12
Re: Steamships Ahoy - Expeditions: Conquistador Jun 1, 2013, 04:12
Jun 1, 2013, 04:12

Played a few hours of this today. Seems pretty good so far. The writing is solid and there's a lot of roleplaying depth. Each of your companions is surprisingly fleshed out. Combat is pretty standard TBS fare, but it's entertaining. There's a lot of resource management outside of combat. Instead of permadeath, your companions get injured if they fall during battle. If you have a doctor in your group, you can attempt to heal them, provided you have enough medication. If you don't treat the wounds, there's a chance they'll get worse and potentially fatal. You have to feed your crew on a daily basis and you're forced to rest after performing a certain number of moves on the world map. That's probably my least favorite part of the game so far. It feels like you can't make enough moves before having to rest and consume food.

As for racism, you don't have to be racist. There are a lot of dialogue options that let you define your character and some quests seem to have diplomatic solutions. Your companions have different personality traits. Some might be racist, pious, greedy, etc, and they lose morale if you do things they disagree with. Luckily, you choose your team at the start of the game so you can ban all racists and religious people if you want.

Jun 1, 2013, 01:53
nin
Re: Steamships Ahoy - Expeditions: Conquistador Jun 1, 2013, 01:53
Jun 1, 2013, 01:53
nin

I'm reminded of my grandfather in-law talking about WW2 movies and games that were pretty popular when he was still around, and given that he was actually at Normandy those things had a bit of a different meaning to him when he saw them. His conclusion was that it was disappointing to see death thrown around as casually as it was in those mediums, but what really mattered was that people learned about them and took something from the experience that they might not have ever gotten without the risk being taken of telling the story.

Sounds like a sharp guy.

Jun 1, 2013, 01:51
Re: Steamships Ahoy - Expeditions: Conquistador Jun 1, 2013, 01:51
Jun 1, 2013, 01:51

ebone23 wrote on May 31, 2013, 16:47:
Virtually running around and shooting someone or stealing a car or beating up a hooker could be perceived to be in poor taste and sophomoric but the virtual victims of said crimes are anonymous; you're not running around wiping out a specified ethnic population. What this game is doing is pushing the now defunct perception of history as one of exploration and adventure w/out the death, disease and social exploitation.

I'm reminded of my grandfather in-law talking about WW2 movies and games that were pretty popular when he was still around, and given that he was actually at Normandy those things had a bit of a different meaning to him when he saw them. His conclusion was that it was disappointing to see death thrown around as casually as it was in those mediums, but what really mattered was that people learned about them and took something from the experience that they might not have ever gotten without the risk being taken of telling the story.

How is this game different than someone releasing "The Third Reich - the game that let's you create kill lists from the ghettos of Poland to the cattle cars to the crematorium! Get your friends and family together and get Auschwitz up and running in no time!"? Considering that by historical standards the genocide of Native Americans from Brazil to Canada was on the order of 10 times (on the low end) the magnitude of the Jews during the Holocaust, I'd have to say you don't know wtf you're talking about.

Considering the population of North America in 1492 was estimated anywhere from 2 to 18 million and South America about 30 million, I'd have to say you don't know wtf you're talking about. The combined population of the Americas in 1500 by most accounts wasn't even equal to 10 times the amount of people killed in the holocaust. The vast majority of people who died were from disease, and while some of that was certainly intentional much of it happened in a way that most Europeans who came to the Americas at the time never realized how many people were actually there to begin with since the populations were devastated before they'd ever had any real interaction with them.

Anyway, the game has a significant story and talks about letting players re-write how Europeans interacted with the natives in ways that don't involve bloodshed. It might be a good idea to not be so eager to be offended that you never bother to actually see what's involved before that kind of a rant.

May 31, 2013, 19:43
Re: Steamships Ahoy - Expeditions: Conquistador May 31, 2013, 19:43
May 31, 2013, 19:43

Let's face it, sandy vaginas aside, who doesn't want to play the winning side?
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

May 31, 2013, 18:18
Re: Steamships Ahoy - Expeditions: Conquistador May 31, 2013, 18:18
May 31, 2013, 18:18

Cutter wrote on May 31, 2013, 18:15:
Hey according to Eraser anything that lets you commit genocide - real - or fictional - is just awesome!

And whilst I really don't know much about Spanish history and how it related to the Aztecs and Mayans, I thought most of them died from the diseases Europeans brought with them - same with most Natives in North America.

Ironically the larger empires killed themselves off from constantly warring with each other and depleting the environment. Something liberal crybabies like to ignore. Look up how Native Americans used to hunt. They'd burn thousands of acres of wilderness to catch a few deer. By the time the Spanish came along they were already dying. It was the Portuguese who finished them.

May 31, 2013, 18:15
Re: Steamships Ahoy - Expeditions: Conquistador May 31, 2013, 18:15
May 31, 2013, 18:15

Hey according to Eraser anything that lets you commit genocide - real - or fictional - is just awesome!

And whilst I really don't know much about Spanish history and how it related to the Aztecs and Mayans, I thought most of them died from the diseases Europeans brought with them - same with most Natives in North America.

May 31, 2013, 18:10
Re: Steamships Ahoy - Expeditions: Conquistador May 31, 2013, 18:10
May 31, 2013, 18:10

Virtually running around and shooting someone or stealing a car or beating up a hooker could be perceived to be in poor taste and sophomoric but the virtual victims of said crimes are anonymous; you're not running around wiping out a specified ethnic population. What this game is doing is pushing the now defunct perception of history as one of exploration and adventure w/out the death, disease and social exploitation.

How is this game different than someone releasing "The Third Reich - the game that let's you create kill lists from the ghettos of Poland to the cattle cars to the crematorium! Get your friends and family together and get Auschwitz up and running in no time!"? Considering that by historical standards the genocide of Native Americans from Brazil to Canada was on the order of 10 times (on the low end) the magnitude of the Jews during the Holocaust, I'd have to say you don't know wtf you're talking about.

I'm sure all the present day Mayans and Aztecs appreciate your concern. You're such a liberal shitstain.

May 31, 2013, 18:05
nin
Re: Steamships Ahoy - Expeditions: Conquistador May 31, 2013, 18:05
May 31, 2013, 18:05
nin

Cutter wrote on May 31, 2013, 17:45:
Ladron3dfx wrote on May 31, 2013, 11:31:
Also available on GoG.com and GamersGate.com, DRM FREE!

Well I'm sure that you and the other guy on earth that doesn't like Steam will both be very happy about that.

Assley Putz, Assley Putz, Assley Putz!

(Damn, it's been awhile...)

May 31, 2013, 17:45
Re: Steamships Ahoy - Expeditions: Conquistador May 31, 2013, 17:45
May 31, 2013, 17:45

Well I'm sure that you and the other guy on earth that doesn't like Steam will both be very happy about that.

May 31, 2013, 16:47
Re: Steamships Ahoy - Expeditions: Conquistador May 31, 2013, 16:47
May 31, 2013, 16:47

May 31, 2013, 15:05
Re: Steamships Ahoy - Expeditions: Conquistador May 31, 2013, 15:05
May 31, 2013, 15:05

Oh, there's nothing necessarily wrong with it or its premise. It's not the subject matter per se (it's clearly not a detached, historical game), but the way they're selling it. I mean, "the suffering of the Spanish conquistadors at the hands of the savage natives," really?

They are specifically trying to leverage the Streisand effect.

edit:

Ah, I see that isn't actually their quote.

Also, I hadn't read the Steam description (just watched the video--saw hexagons and knew it wasn't for me), which makes it sound a little more reasonable.

This comment was edited on May 31, 2013, 15:31.

May 31, 2013, 13:27
Re: Steamships Ahoy - Expeditions: Conquistador May 31, 2013, 13:27
May 31, 2013, 13:27

Aero wrote on May 31, 2013, 12:03:
This definitely is in pretty poor taste, I have to say.

As compared to most games where you can run around and shoot people? Or drop bombs on them? Or ignite them with flame throwers? Or GTA where you can beat down any random person on the street or run over crowds? Or total war where you rampage across Europe, and the Americas to expand your empire? There's alot of stuff out there that is in poor taste but everyone buys it up, myself included. Id personally rather see someone let out some stress on a game then taking a gun into a mall and taking it out there.

May 31, 2013, 13:26
Re: Steamships Ahoy - Expeditions: Conquistador May 31, 2013, 13:26
May 31, 2013, 13:26

Having a large native family, I'd have to say that I'm more interested in how the game plays than anything else. Although I can't disagree with its questionable content either. Let's wait and see.

May 31, 2013, 12:03
Re: Steamships Ahoy - Expeditions: Conquistador May 31, 2013, 12:03
May 31, 2013, 12:03

This definitely is in pretty poor taste, I have to say.

May 31, 2013, 11:49
Re: Steamships Ahoy - Expeditions: Conquistador May 31, 2013, 11:49
May 31, 2013, 11:49

"Genocide - the new world! Play with your friends! Unlock new weapons like smallpox and measles and lay waste to those native heathens! Rape and pillage and make way for a new world order!"

May 31, 2013, 11:44
nin
Re: Steamships Ahoy - Expeditions: Conquistador May 31, 2013, 11:44
May 31, 2013, 11:44
nin

And on the filter you go...

May 31, 2013, 11:31
Re: Steamships Ahoy - Expeditions: Conquistador May 31, 2013, 11:31
May 31, 2013, 11:31

Steamworks

May 31, 2013, 11:11
Verno

Re: Steamships Ahoy - Expeditions: Conquistador May 31, 2013, 11:11
May 31, 2013, 11:11
 Verno

This actually looks pretty cool, has anyone picked it up and mind commenting on it?
Playing: Elden Ring, HZD: FW, Kingdom Rush series
Watching: Severance, The IT Crowd, The Batman
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older