Blizzard Confirms Titan Setback

ZAM (thanks Massively) has an official statement from Blizzard on last night's rumor that development of Blizzard's unannounced MMORPG codenamed Titan was back to the drawing board after a 70% reduction in the game's development team, setting back the game's release to at least 2016. While not addressing any of the specifics, the statement indicates the report has the gist of the situation:
We've always had a highly iterative development process, and the unannounced MMO is no exception. We've come to a point where we need to make some large design and technology changes to the game. We're using this opportunity to shift some of our resources to assist with other projects while the core team adapts our technology and tools to accommodate these new changes. Note that we haven't announced any dates for the MMO.
View : : :
51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Blizzard Confirms Titan Setback
May 31, 2013, 00:48
Re: Blizzard Confirms Titan Setback May 31, 2013, 00:48
May 31, 2013, 00:48

I have a hunch they jumped the gun, implemented a RMAH using the same framework used for D3's RMAH, and now they've (luckily) discovered it's a terrible, terrible system. Apart from removing the RMAH, they're now in the process of gutting whatever soul remained in Project Titan in a feeble attempt to reach out to their newfound "everyone" market.

This comment was edited on May 31, 2013, 01:00.

May 30, 2013, 14:34
nin
Re: Blizzard Confirms Titan Setback May 30, 2013, 14:34
May 30, 2013, 14:34
nin

Xero wrote on May 30, 2013, 07:58:
I just thought I'd throw in the fact that my local best buy has 3 copies of the collector's edition of Heart of the Swarm sitting on the shelves... Does this show a chink in Blizzard's armor? Are the the people really seeing how much of a let down Blizzard products have been as of late?

Amazon had one of the last CEs for wow (can't remember if it was Panda or Cat) for like $40 last weekend, but it looks like they've gone back up (somewhat)...

May 30, 2013, 09:27
Re: Blizzard Confirms Titan Setback May 30, 2013, 09:27
May 30, 2013, 09:27

Tulwinn wrote on May 30, 2013, 04:36:
There is a lot of truth in that but even if bugs increased it didnt reflect in loss of players. You dont have those numbers without good retention AND new blood, Wow subscriber numbers were still increasing until fairly recently. Veteran players moaned and threatened to quit over the years and some did and then a lot came back. That looks to be changing now, I myself played a long time and I used to consider myself a player with a short attention span per game. I’ve stopped playing so that’s one long term subscriber they lost but it will take a long time to lose those numbers.
Of course bugs don't always result directly in lost players. If that were the case, the Battlefield series would never have sold any units. But increasing amounts of bugs are an indication of decreasing quality of programming and development. As for players leaving WoW, that's been happening en masse since TBC's release. It just wasn't obvious because for a while they kept getting more new players than the players they lost. When I last played WoW (early Cata) there were very very few players around that had been there since vanilla. Heck, there were very few that had even been there for TBC. I would love to see statistics on how many different players have had active subs to WoW. I would be surprised if that number were less than 100 million.

May 30, 2013, 07:58
Re: Blizzard Confirms Titan Setback May 30, 2013, 07:58
May 30, 2013, 07:58

I just thought I'd throw in the fact that my local best buy has 3 copies of the collector's edition of Heart of the Swarm sitting on the shelves... Does this show a chink in Blizzard's armor? Are the the people really seeing how much of a let down Blizzard products have been as of late?

May 30, 2013, 07:40
NKD
Re: Blizzard Confirms Titan Setback May 30, 2013, 07:40
May 30, 2013, 07:40
NKD

Prez wrote on May 30, 2013, 01:02:
Diablo 3 is definitely not a failure (at least in the financial sense) but I kind of hope it is the game that makes people start realizing that you can no longer buy a Blizzard game on name alone and expect a quality game.

Yep. I always found the idea of buying a game based on the company behind it pretty fucking stupid to begin with. First, even if we assume that a BLIZZARD sticker meant the same exact people made this game as made the last one, no one, no matter how talented, bats a thousand.

And that assumption is not even true. There is enormous churn in game development, even at some of the more successful studios that have never had to deal with studio closure or project transition layoffs. The level of talent in a studio that's been around a long time is going to fluctuate.

Every title should be judged individually. No one should go out and just slap a preorder down just because they liked the last game made by a studio.

With regards to Titan, it's hard to say what kind of major changes they might have had to make considering we didn't have any confirmed information about it to begin with.
Do you have a single fact to back that up?

May 30, 2013, 04:36
Re: Blizzard Confirms Titan Setback May 30, 2013, 04:36
May 30, 2013, 04:36

Endo wrote on May 29, 2013, 16:42:
And to understand how the quality of their developing has gone downhill during the span where all they released were WoW xpacs, you had to pay attention to the trend of steadily increasing bugs and hotfixes, and how many veteran players hated each new xpac (and quit because of them). WoW only did as well as it did for as long as it did because they were able to keep drawing in new blood.
There is a lot of truth in that but even if bugs increased it didnt reflect in loss of players. You dont have those numbers without good retention AND new blood, Wow subscriber numbers were still increasing until fairly recently. Veteran players moaned and threatened to quit over the years and some did and then a lot came back. That looks to be changing now, I myself played a long time and I used to consider myself a player with a short attention span per game. I’ve stopped playing so that’s one long term subscriber they lost but it will take a long time to lose those numbers.

May 30, 2013, 04:03
Re: Blizzard Confirms Titan Setback May 30, 2013, 04:03
May 30, 2013, 04:03

HorrorScope wrote on May 29, 2013, 12:22:
Xero wrote on May 29, 2013, 11:23:
So Blizzard take 10 years to complete a single game within their current franchises but then when it comes to putting out a new IP they axe it? lol.

I must get a job there:

A. I will rise quickly.
B. I can sit around and do little and get a check for a decade before they catch on.

I always wanted to work for a more liberal company, really.

The friend I had that worked in call support said it was a fantastic place to work at, even though they paid the CS people shit. There was always rock band or some kind of shindig or the full gym or something else to do if you ever looked around and realized you worked your ass off for 10 bucks an hour and never was going to move anywhere in the company.

Then they sacked most of their WOW-related CS and she got a job that didn't have rock band marathons until 2am, but did pay her triple what she made under the Big B.

I generally got the impression it was kind of a party over there for years.

May 30, 2013, 01:02
Prez

Re: Blizzard Confirms Titan Setback May 30, 2013, 01:02
May 30, 2013, 01:02
 Prez

Creston wrote on May 29, 2013, 12:20:
Their Diablo 3 failure sold like 12 million copies, so there's literally nobody at Blizzard who views it as a failure.

Creston

Diablo 3 is definitely not a failure (at least in the financial sense) but I kind of hope it is the game that makes people start realizing that you can no longer buy a Blizzard game on name alone and expect a quality game.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

May 29, 2013, 23:37
Re: Blizzard Confirms Titan Setback May 29, 2013, 23:37
May 29, 2013, 23:37

zombiefan wrote on May 29, 2013, 11:07:
....AND...nobody cares.

3 pages of comments seem to argue otherwise.

May 29, 2013, 20:41
Re: Blizzard Confirms Titan Setback May 29, 2013, 20:41
May 29, 2013, 20:41

Pyloff wrote on May 29, 2013, 18:36:
Hellbinder wrote on May 29, 2013, 14:15:
what possible reason could they have for wanting to make huge design and technology changes to the game now?? after so many years?

Honestly why do companies do this?? I am sure Titan is fine the way it is and heck its probably awesome. I guarantee you they do not need to change the game design or the technology.

The question is what clueless suit wearing douche-bag walked in and made such a retarded decision.

You can't be that naive.

The suit walked in said let's ship this pile of shit already and the one honest guy with ballz of steel stopped the freight train. Their only redemption is they haven't married it to a massive expensive marketing campaign with a vague release date.

Like I said yesterday, it's more like a suit walked in and said "This needs to be F2P, rework the economy to make it so." Then the honest guy with the balls of steel told him they couldn't just slap that onto the existing game (à la D3) so he told them to start over and you might as well make it work for PS4 and Xbox1 while you're at it.

May 29, 2013, 19:45
Re: Blizzard Confirms Titan Setback May 29, 2013, 19:45
May 29, 2013, 19:45

probably got pushed back to support PS4 and Xbox One...

May 29, 2013, 18:36
Re: Blizzard Confirms Titan Setback May 29, 2013, 18:36
May 29, 2013, 18:36

Hellbinder wrote on May 29, 2013, 14:15:
what possible reason could they have for wanting to make huge design and technology changes to the game now?? after so many years?

Honestly why do companies do this?? I am sure Titan is fine the way it is and heck its probably awesome. I guarantee you they do not need to change the game design or the technology.

The question is what clueless suit wearing douche-bag walked in and made such a retarded decision.

You can't be that naive.

The suit walked in said let's ship this pile of shit already and the one honest guy with ballz of steel stopped the freight train. Their only redemption is they haven't married it to a massive expensive marketing campaign with a vague release date.

May 29, 2013, 18:09
Re: Blizzard Confirms Titan Setback May 29, 2013, 18:09
May 29, 2013, 18:09

What a surprise they are short of ideas! All them billions and i bet they are short of cash, next thing you know they will be asking for money in the kickstarter website!

May 29, 2013, 16:54
Re: Blizzard Confirms Titan Setback May 29, 2013, 16:54
May 29, 2013, 16:54

ASeven wrote on May 29, 2013, 10:53:
Verno wrote on May 29, 2013, 10:43:
I would rather they start over than shit out some derivative MMO. Better yet go make Warcraft 4 or hell just make a new non-MMO game.

After D3 I no longer trust them to do quality games like they used to pre-D3. Only S2 seems to be the exception and even so the latest HotS doesn't seem to advance the game that much compared to the first episode of S2.

And considering that Starcraft 2 was generally considered to be Starcraft 1.5, that's not saying much.

May 29, 2013, 16:42
Re: Blizzard Confirms Titan Setback May 29, 2013, 16:42
May 29, 2013, 16:42

Xero wrote on May 29, 2013, 16:06:
PropheT wrote on May 29, 2013, 12:12:
Mr. Tact wrote on May 29, 2013, 10:27:
Blizzard will be making money for a long time to come even if the connoisseurs of gaming here at Blues have long turned up their noses at their products.
The scary part about Blizzard is that they finally had their failure with Diablo 3, but it's not so much that it was a huge disappointment to so many people... it's that so many people predicted it beforehand.

I think people predicted it beforehand after sampling the short beta demo of the game. It was easily realized at that point.

I've been predicting D3 being a disappointment since almost 4 years ago, based on the fact that they lost all their top devs. The thing that made it hard for most people to pick up on Blizzard's falling quality is the fact that Blizzard doesn't release many new games. They haven't really released anything new worthwhile since WoW (some will argue since WC3). SC2 is basically (I've been told) SC1 reskinned with a few tweaks... and even so, I don't think most players consider it a real improvement. D3 was a huge letdown. Other than that, all they've released since WoW is... WoW expansions. And to understand how the quality of their developing has gone downhill during the span where all they released were WoW xpacs, you had to pay attention to the trend of steadily increasing bugs and hotfixes, and how many veteran players hated each new xpac (and quit because of them). WoW only did as well as it did for as long as it did because they were able to keep drawing in new blood.

May 29, 2013, 16:06
Re: Blizzard Confirms Titan Setback May 29, 2013, 16:06
May 29, 2013, 16:06

Blizzard will be making money for a long time to come even if the connoisseurs of gaming here at Blues have long turned up their noses at their products.
The scary part about Blizzard is that they finally had their failure with Diablo 3, but it's not so much that it was a huge disappointment to so many people... it's that so many people predicted it beforehand.

I think people predicted it beforehand after sampling the short beta demo of the game. It was easily realized at that point.

May 29, 2013, 15:44
Re: Blizzard Confirms Titan Setback May 29, 2013, 15:44
May 29, 2013, 15:44

Creston wrote on May 29, 2013, 12:20:
Their Diablo 3 failure sold like 12 million copies, so there's literally nobody at Blizzard who views it as a failure.

Creston

I mean failure more in the sense that, unlike everything else in their library, Diablo 3 almost universally has a bad reputation and holds a steady spot on 'most disappointing' lists anywhere you look. They're a company that can sell games on reputation alone like nobody else out there, and a game like that puts a pretty big dent in the armor.

I'm not suggesting they're going out of business or anything, just that their status as one of the few remaining untouchables of gaming needs something new to reinforce that respect for a new generation of gamers...and it's not coming any time soon.

May 29, 2013, 15:35
Re: Blizzard Confirms Titan Setback May 29, 2013, 15:35
May 29, 2013, 15:35

Stockholders aren't happy when companies blow several hundred million with nothing to show for it regardless of potential return. It makes them nervous. I know after seven years of this nonsense only to hear this I'd be dumping my stock.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

May 29, 2013, 15:03
Re: Blizzard Confirms Titan Setback May 29, 2013, 15:03
May 29, 2013, 15:03

Endo wrote on May 29, 2013, 14:15:

I used to defend Blizzard until I stopped to really think of what they'd done in the last ten years. World of Warcraft was very good, but having no real competitors for so long destroyed MMO's to the point where nobody even tries anymore; they just make free to play stuff and try microtransaction cash grabs instead. Starcraft 2 I don't even know what to think of; it's Starcraft 1 with new paint, it's far from bad but it's just so...forgettable. Diablo 3 was the disappointment of the decade.

And that's it. That's all they've done. A rehash, a failure, and nearly a decade of milking their cash cow. Is that enough for them to be a revered giant in gaming when most of the people who made the things we really loved are long gone from the company? The closes comparison I can think of is that Spider-Man 3 sold tons of movie tickets but still killed the franchise. The scary part about Blizzard is that they finally had their failure with Diablo 3, but it's not so much that it was a huge disappointment to so many people... it's that so many people predicted it beforehand.

That's almost everything they've done. They also released four WoW expansions... but even there most people will agree, each new one was worse than the last.

I've been pointing these things out since... 2008?

You've been pointing out incorrect statements for 5 years? Do you do parties too? : )

-Alamar

May 29, 2013, 15:01
Re: Blizzard Confirms Titan Setback May 29, 2013, 15:01
May 29, 2013, 15:01

bilzzrad r teh suXX0r!!!111
51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older