Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Morning Metaverse

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Morning Metaverse May 21, 2013, 23:13 eunichron

avianflu wrote on May 21, 2013, 14:07:
That wikipedia article was fascinating. At the same time I am not surprised. If by policy, anyone can edit and also edit anonymously.....

Having been working on my MLIS degree for the last year this discussion comes up constantly, that is, the reliability and accuracy and Wikipedia. The answer always tends to be that Wikipedia is no less reliable or accurate than any of the other big-name print encyclopedias (Britannica seems to be the one it gets compared to the most in studies).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Morning Metaverse May 21, 2013, 22:45 Sepharo

What happened there is I failed to save Blue's News on Wikipedia, but I tried. If only I had checked it every single day instead every few months Puppyeyes  

9. Re: Morning Metaverse May 21, 2013, 18:30 Kosumo

Blue's News MUST be returned to wikipedia.

Can't deny something that has been around that long ... WHAT THE FUCK??!?

that 'what happended here' is total wtf.

8. Re: Morning Metaverse May 21, 2013, 18:07 Tom

There may be a lot of stupid crap going on thanks to jerks on Wikipedia, but it's still a mind-bogglingly useful site. For example, where else are you going to effortlessly find goldmines of information like these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Intel_graphics_processing_units
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_NVIDIA_graphics_processing_units
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_device_bandwidths

etc.

But it is criminal that there's an article for Shacknews but not Blue's News. WTF!

7. Re: Morning Metaverse May 21, 2013, 14:07 avianflu

That wikipedia article was fascinating. At the same time I am not surprised. If by policy, anyone can edit and also edit anonymously.....  

6. Re: Morning Metaverse May 21, 2013, 12:59 Bodolza

Agreed that the new Flickr design is eye-bleedingly awful. Thankfully, I use Picasa (and Picasaweb), which is still refreshingly old-school. I'm just crossing my fingers that Google doesn't pull a Yahoo! with their service.  

5. Re: Morning Metaverse May 21, 2013, 12:51 BobBob

Between rabbit ears (over 40 channels, most in HD) and the library, I never pay to watch television shows or movies.  
Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

4. Re: Morning Metaverse May 21, 2013, 11:43 Ratty

eRe4s3r wrote on May 21, 2013, 11:27:
Looks like alternatives to Flickr need to be found.. I equally find it completely unusable. Flickr was about comments and discovery, now you are flattened with a huge chunk of photos with no context overview or usability flow.. terrible.
I know Flickr has been considered the MySpace of photo sharing sites for awhile but I still loved it. I've not found anything remotely as good. It had the right mix of social options and photos and I've developed a great circle of friends. I'll hate to see them drift off to different sites now but I know that's what will happen. I used to visit several times a day but I can barely make myself visit once in the morning now.

Every review I've seen so far has raved about it. Written by designers who've never actually used the site of course.

3. Re: Morning Metaverse May 21, 2013, 11:27 eRe4s3r

Looks like alternatives to Flickr need to be found.. I equally find it completely unusable. Flickr was about comments and discovery, now you are flattened with a huge chunk of photos with no context overview or usability flow.. terrible.  

2. Re: Alas Flickr, it's been fun May 21, 2013, 11:03 Ratty

Wow. Just wow. The Flickr redesign just sucks so hard. They've followed the Microsoft trend of making everything huge. Used to I could login and see all my friends latest photos on one screen of thumbnails. I could see at a glance which of their photos had comments and how many. Now everything is gigantic and you have to mouse over every single enormous image to see if it has comments.

I know people will always complain when there's a redesign, but this was clearly done by people who never actually used Flickr regularly. They made it all nicer looking and tablety and Windows 8-ey but practically wiped out all usability and functionality. My guess is they're more interested in attracting new users than anything else.

As a sometimes web designer this is actually a good lesson for me. Don't sacrifice form for functionality. If it's a question between usability and looking good, always choose the former. Find out how your visitors actually use your site and design for that. I sometimes forget all that and get too enamored with my own gorgeous designs.

1. Re: Morning Metaverse May 21, 2013, 10:40 eRe4s3r

Wikipedia editors are like dictators on miniature islands...

Personally I don't use wikipedia for anything anymore. But if you think wikipedia US is bad, you have not seen the German Wiki. It's much more corrupt and broken. Fewer people that write articles means more ego's writing articles with spin.

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo