Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA Dropping Licensed Firearms

Reuters reports on EA's plans to drop licensed guns from their video games, or more accurately the licensing part, as they still plan to include the guns without the licenses under the fair-use principle, quoting EA's Frank Gibeau saying "A book doesn't pay for saying the word 'Colt,' for example." They say recent shootings and the NRA's attempts to shift blame for them onto the games industry did not factor into this, quoting EA spokesman Jeff Brown: "The response from our audience was pretty clear: they feel the comments from the NRA were a simple attempt to change the subject." They also note that there is currently a preliminary legal action between EA and Bell Helicopter over unlicensed helicopters in the Battlefield series, which Bell says is trademark infringement, and they suggest how the Bell case turns out may reflect on the legality of using the firearms as fair use. The article also states: "Legal experts say there isn't a single case so far where gun companies have sued video game companies for using branded guns without a license." Activision declined to comment when Reuters asked whether they were considering dropping gun licenses from the Call of Duty series.

View
144 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

44. Re: EA Dropping Licensed Firearms May 8, 2013, 05:48 Mashiki Amiketo

The Half Elf wrote on May 8, 2013, 03:20:
Do I qualify as a anti-gun nut? (not to you Mashiki just asking in general) I like guns, don't plan on owning one, enjoy shooting them once in a blue moon, but really think we should have very strict registration laws on them.
Is there any reason someone MUST have a gun within a month (for example)?
Nope. But that doesn't make much of a difference to the knee-jerkers who believe that "owning" something automatically makes you capable of it. As for strict registration laws? We have those in Canada, you know what it does? Jack squat, because criminals still get guns, and people who want to inflict harm via guns, still get guns. And in 90% of the cases they're stolen from people who've followed the law.

And where they're not stealing legal guns, they're getting them from anywhere they can. Illegally smuggled from the US, China, Latin America or South America.

InBlack wrote on May 8, 2013, 03:23:

Erm what? Is this analogy like the ones where people blame Obama for world hunger and George W. Bush for hairy vaginas?
Not been paying attention to the anti-gun nuts lately? That's okay, you can go back over the better part of a decade, if you didn't catch the implication just remember--that because you play video games, you're already a psychopath. That one's been played out too.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: EA Dropping Licensed Firearms May 8, 2013, 05:39 mag

Jerykk wrote on May 8, 2013, 05:10:
Stricter gun control isn't going to reduce crime because criminals don't care about the law. Most of the guns used in crimes are already obtained illegally. Washington D.C. has some of the strictest gun laws in the country, yet it also has a significantly higher murder and violent crime rate than any other state, including those that have incredibly lax gun laws like Texas and Florida. There is no statistical correlation between gun control and crime.

If you want to reduce crime, you need to look at the factors that breed criminals in the first place. Poverty is the most obvious one. Abusive and/or negligent parenting is another. Address these two issues and crime will drop. Wasting taxpayer money trying to enforce gun control won't change anything (as the prevalence of narcotics can attest to).

I agree with some of what you're saying, but the argument that you make at the beginning, "Laws in X city don't reduce shootings in X city!" is not a good one. Of course strict laws in DC aren't going to stop people from getting firearms when they can just drive an hour and pick some up legally. Anything useful would have to be nation-wide.

Then I think there are two choices, if you want to make gun-control work.

1) Take a firm hand. Sweeping, extreme legislation a la Australia. Millions of guns surrendered/confiscated/destroyed. Personal ownership essentially forbidden.

2) "Gentle" touch. Guns have to be registered. Severe penalties if a gun registered under your name is used in a crime. Better not buy a gun and then give it to someone else, and better make damn sure you don't let it get stolen.

It would take quite a long time for the supply of unregistered (that is, illegal) guns to dry up in the latter case, but I think it would eventually happen. Of course registration lists pose problems, and maybe it's not the right solution. It would take a long time, and it would not be 100% effective, but I do think it would have an impact in time, at least on your everyday run-of-the-mill burglary/mugging/drive-by/gang & drug-related shootings.

Not going to stop the law abiding citizens from snapping and murdering their families or classmates. So that's where mental health care, proper parenting, blah blah blah comes in.

But yeah. Got to combat poverty and abuse if you really want to make substantive change. Absolutely.

42. Re: EA Dropping Licensed Firearms May 8, 2013, 05:10 Jerykk

Stricter gun control isn't going to reduce crime because criminals don't care about the law. Most of the guns used in crimes are already obtained illegally. Washington D.C. has some of the strictest gun laws in the country, yet it also has a significantly higher murder and violent crime rate than any other state, including those that have incredibly lax gun laws like Texas and Florida. There is no statistical correlation between gun control and crime.

If you want to reduce crime, you need to look at the factors that breed criminals in the first place. Poverty is the most obvious one. Abusive and/or negligent parenting is another. Address these two issues and crime will drop. Wasting taxpayer money trying to enforce gun control won't change anything (as the prevalence of narcotics can attest to).

41. Re: EA Dropping Licensed Firearms May 8, 2013, 04:55 mag

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on May 8, 2013, 04:47:
No shit I'm afraid?! Do you live in Europe? If so, look around. They breed like cattle. Go the The Hague in the Netherlands, and I'll guarantee you that you will have a hard time spotting actual Dutch people. Now, if we don't talk about the increase in violence and say that The Hague isn't per se a violent place, we can debate why hardly spotting Dutch people is a bad thing, but that's just hitting philosophical bedrock with the shovel of a stupid question.

This... Islamophobia that you imply, is a term that doesn't exist, because a phobia implies an irrational fear. Seeing Islamic families of 8+ children; a people who's holy book demands them to "conquer the earth with the wombs of your women" and be a soldier of the jihad ( which is NOT simply a "spiritual war")... then fuck yes I'm afraid. I'm frustrated. I'm angry.

Nonsense & rubbish? No. Not at all.

Maybe if you had more guns you could shoot Islam.

40. removed May 8, 2013, 04:47 Eldaron Imotholin

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 8, 2013, 08:45.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

39. Re: EA Dropping Licensed Firearms May 8, 2013, 04:44 jdreyer

Hey, we own guns because... because... FREEDOM!!!11 That's why, so shut up.  

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

38. Re: EA Dropping Licensed Firearms May 8, 2013, 04:43 mag

Quinn wrote on May 8, 2013, 03:54:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 8, 2013, 02:53:
The Half Elf wrote on May 8, 2013, 02:35:
What if I have OTHER games besides 'murder simulators'. Like for example Kerbal Space Program, does that qualify me to work for NASA? ...
Now STFU.
According to the anti-gun nuts, yes those qualify you to work for NASA and be a quarterback. Not to mention to be a professional truck driver across Europe, among other things.

Do I qualify as a anti-gun nut? (not to you Mashiki just asking in general) I like guns, don't plan on owning one, enjoy shooting them once in a blue moon, but really think we should have very strict registration laws on them.

What I'm not getting is why people in the States can simply just... own.. a gun. To us Europeans that simply sounds completely and utterly out of this world. In fact, it's a face-palm thing to most of us regarding the USA. That whole "I'm cleaning my gun every night and I'm god durned proud of it" is simply one hell of a hill-billy mentality.

Apart from the Islamification due to blind tolerance here, the USA should look at Europe a bit more, imo. There is simply no freaking need to let everyone own a gun.

We do have a bunch of guns, and it's deeply embedded in our culture thanks to the frontier history, the birth of the nation from a war, and the related codification of the right to own arms in the Constitution.

But. All things considered, a lot of European countries aren't too far behind us. Specifically, Switzerland and Finland have about half as many per capita, and Sweden, Norway, France, Germany, and Austria have about a third as many per capita.

Obviously we've still got far more here, but they're also obviously not exactly rare there. Still, I'm sure we talk about them far more because of just how deeply our national identity can be rooted in them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

This comment was edited on May 8, 2013, 04:51.

37. Re: EA Dropping Licensed Firearms May 8, 2013, 04:28 Julio

ledhead1969 wrote on May 7, 2013, 22:24:
The gun industry protects your pathetic existence and makes it possible for you to live in your mom's basement spouting off about how bad guns are.

Pass the roll of foil, I need to make a hat too
I'm pro-gun, but that's more off the deep end then me.

36. Re: EA Dropping Licensed Firearms May 8, 2013, 04:24 Julio

Kajetan wrote on May 8, 2013, 04:17:
Islamification? Rubbish! Utter nonsense & rubbish! There is no "Islamification", there is only fear and hate mongering from people, who are afraid of the unknown future.

I think they're afraid of minor things like genocide in the future to non-islamics and those left being forced to wear the hajib. It's pretty clear Islamicification is only good for Islamics (and politicians who must be getting bribed quite well).

35. Re: EA Dropping Licensed Firearms May 8, 2013, 04:17 Kajetan

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on May 8, 2013, 03:59:

What I'm not getting is why people in the States can simply just... own.. a gun. To us Europeans that simply sounds completely and utterly out of this world. In fact, it's a face-palm thing to most of us regarding the USA. That whole "I'm cleaning my gun every night and I'm god durned proud of it" is simply one hell of a hill-billy mentality.

Apart from the Islamification due to blind tolerance here, the USA should look at Europe a bit more, imo. There is simply no freaking need to let everyone own a gun.

Hehe Quinn, you stole the words from my mind. I am sure you are not talking for all of Europe but definitely for me. Considering the islamification of western societies, I damned well hope you speak for all... although I know all too well the holier-than-thou's with their heads in the sand. T_T
Islamification? Rubbish! Utter nonsense & rubbish! There is no "Islamification", there is only fear and hate mongering from people, who are afraid of the unknown future.

34. Re: EA Dropping Licensed Firearms May 8, 2013, 03:59 Eldaron Imotholin

Hehe Quinn, you stole the words from my mind. I am sure you are not talking for all of Europe but definitely for me. Considering the islamification of western societies, I damned well hope you speak for all... although I know all too well the holier-than-thou's with their heads in the sand. T_T

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

33. Re: EA Dropping Licensed Firearms May 8, 2013, 03:54 Quinn

What if I have OTHER games besides 'murder simulators'. Like for example Kerbal Space Program, does that qualify me to work for NASA? ...
Now STFU.
According to the anti-gun nuts, yes those qualify you to work for NASA and be a quarterback. Not to mention to be a professional truck driver across Europe, among other things.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

32. Re: EA Dropping Licensed Firearms May 8, 2013, 03:32 Nucas

InBlack wrote on May 8, 2013, 03:23:
Now STFU.

Erm what? Is this analogy like the ones where people blame Obama for world hunger and George W. Bush for hairy vaginas?

there seems to be a lot of this going around all of a sudden.

31. Re: EA Dropping Licensed Firearms May 8, 2013, 03:23 InBlack

Now STFU.

I have a nifty blue line!

30. Re: EA Dropping Licensed Firearms May 8, 2013, 03:20 The Half Elf

Now STFU.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

29. Re: EA Dropping Licensed Firearms May 8, 2013, 03:12 InBlack

Agent.X7 wrote on May 7, 2013, 20:05:
I always wondered why gaming companies paid to license firearm names when Hollywood doesn't. I mean, I'm a firearms guy, but fuck them. Free advertising for your guns. Nobody asks Whirlpool if they can show their refrigerator in a TV show. Ditto for cars. So tired of seeing car manufacturers paid for using their cars in games. Shit, Aston Martin PAID MGM to start using their cars in Bond again after they went with BMW. Most companies PAY to have their products featured. Why should gun companies BE paid.

This. Exactly this.

I have a nifty blue line!

28. Re: EA Dropping Licensed Firearms May 8, 2013, 02:53 Mashiki Amiketo

Now STFU.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

27. Re: EA Dropping Licensed Firearms May 8, 2013, 02:39 The Half Elf

Creston wrote on May 8, 2013, 00:24:
mag wrote on May 8, 2013, 00:12:
For a related reason, games that feature licensed cars tend to (or at least used to) not feature visible vehicle damage.

That's actually a requirement of the license? That's just absolutely fucking retarded.

Creston

It use to be, that the license cars could only have limited amount of damage and could not be flipped onto it's roof. That's changed over the years, but Forza 4, Horizon (and maybe 3) have huge disclaimers when the game starts that not all parts are street legal, airbag deployment is not simulated, and obey the law.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

26. Re: EA Dropping Licensed Firearms May 8, 2013, 02:35 The Half Elf

ledhead1969 wrote on May 7, 2013, 22:24:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on May 7, 2013, 20:55:
It was disgusting that EA was funding the gun industry anyway.

Checking your Steam games you are chock full of murder simulation playing, or criminal simulation if I include your GTA games. Stop thinking you are any better than the rest of us, NRA included. The gun industry protects your pathetic existence and makes it possible for you to live in your mom's basement spouting off about how bad guns are.

So I have a question for ya ledhead. What if I have OTHER games besides 'murder simulators'. Like for example Kerbal Space Program, does that qualify me to work for NASA? If I play Madden am I qualifyed to be a quarterback/coach? Can I drive a big rig across Europe because I've played Euro Trucker 2? I mean I have shitloads of hours in Theme Hospital, Rollercoaster Tycoon, so can I practice medicine at my custom built theme park?

And as for GTA (GTA4 in particular), I taught my nephew (who was 5 at the time) how to drive a bus, stay in his own lane, stop at red lights and drive perfectly NORMAL, without firing a single weapon, or running anyone over. YES he played a 'murder simulator' without killing anyone, or having to swap insurance information.

Now STFU.

25. Re: EA Dropping Licensed Firearms May 8, 2013, 02:21 mag

Creston wrote on May 8, 2013, 00:24:
mag wrote on May 8, 2013, 00:12:
For a related reason, games that feature licensed cars tend to (or at least used to) not feature visible vehicle damage.

That's actually a requirement of the license? That's just absolutely fucking retarded.

Creston

Possibly not always, but I do remember it being the excuse for some games not having the feature.

144 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo