Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie?

Ars Technica has details from today's D.I.C.E. Summit keynote by Valve's Gabe Newell and Hollywood's J.J. Abrams where one of the topics was a game/movie collaboration. At one point Abrams says he has an "idea for a game that we'd like to work with Valve on" which inspired the following response from Newell: "We're also interested in working with you guys on movies. We're going to see if we can make a Portal movie or a Half-Life movie."
View : : :

Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie?
Feb 6, 2013, 18:24
Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 6, 2013, 18:24
Feb 6, 2013, 18:24

DangerDog wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 17:54:
JJ Abrams movie pitch for Half Life

Okay we open the movie on Xen which is now a remote island in the south pacific, huge lens flare washes across the screen...

Except that lens flare was never in the script. JJ added them in himself. I didn't even notice them the first time I saw the movie.

Also, it was something that he did exclusively for Star Trek, and won't replicate in any other movie:

I wanted a visual system that felt unique. I know there are certain shots where even I watch and think, "Oh that's ridiculous, that was too many." But I love the idea that the future was so bright it couldn't be contained in the frame.
COVID infections: 133M - - - COVID deaths: 3M - - - Death rate: 2%
Vaccines administered: 711M - - - Vaccine deaths: 7 - - - Death rate: 0.00000001%
Your choice is clear.
Date
Subject
Author
Feb 6, 2013Feb 6 2013
 Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie?