Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie?

Ars Technica has details from today's D.I.C.E. Summit keynote by Valve's Gabe Newell and Hollywood's J.J. Abrams where one of the topics was a game/movie collaboration. At one point Abrams says he has an "idea for a game that we'd like to work with Valve on" which inspired the following response from Newell: "We're also interested in working with you guys on movies. We're going to see if we can make a Portal movie or a Half-Life movie."
View : : :

Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie?
Feb 6, 2013, 16:51
Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie? Feb 6, 2013, 16:51
Feb 6, 2013, 16:51

While that portal movie that Danny Trachtenberg made was totally awesome, I don't know that there's enough in Portal to make a movie.

Half Life (1 or 2), on the other hand are basically already storyboarded and would make great movies once adapted into a script. While I think JJ is a great fit (he's a geek of the first order) for something like that, his plate is pretty full for the next decade. Let's run through the list:

Joss: his talent is really with large casts, and HL is a lone wolf story. Still, a top director for this material.

Zack Snyder: excels at action, but I'd want him to cut back on the slo mo.

Michael Bay: As long as he got a good script, an over the top actiony HL could be fun. Thinking more The Rock and The Island, not Transformers.

Neil Marshall: Directed The Descent, would definitely make a tension filled HL movie.

Sam Raimi: A solid choice. Good for this material having done both action and horror.

My number one though?
Chris Nolan: This would be an amazing Half Life movie. Gritty, with the right balance between action and realism.

COVID infections: 133M - - - COVID deaths: 3M - - - Death rate: 2%
Vaccines administered: 711M - - - Vaccine deaths: 7 - - - Death rate: 0.00000001%
Your choice is clear.
Date
Subject
Author
Feb 6, 2013Feb 6 2013
Re: Valve/J.J. Abrams Collaboration? Half-Life or Portal Movie?