Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 10, 2012, 18:26 SectorEffector

Quboid wrote on Dec 10, 2012, 16:41:
Are you guys talking about a different PopCap? Maybe confusing them with PopTop? The PopCap I am familiar with were hated here for raping PC gaming and turning a generation of gamers into casual gaming lovers.

Funny how quickly things change when there's a hint of conflict with EA. Not even a hint, a theory. If that. EA are doing what they want with an organisation who voluntarily agreed to let them do this? Ohh, evil EA. Ohh, poor little PopCap. Oh, poor Peggle, remember how we loved this game?

No, no we didn't, we hated that game and we hated that developer. "Popcap's fantastic reputation"?! Are you kidding me? To be fair, maybe you did like them and PvZ is popular here (despite being the sort of casual game that we're supposed to be too cool to enjoy), but their reputation here was dismal.

Half - being generous - the posts here are just contrary EA bashing based on zero facts.

ignore crestons usual "take that" quips. He must not be questioned I wouldn't be surprised if you're right. Albiet quoting us would help. This is bluesnews, we all have drank the coolaid long ago when we decided nothing but blue appealed to our tongues.

I standby the PC gamer prima donnas at blues news, we are so awesomely entrenched in our views here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 10, 2012, 18:04 NegaDeath

Are you guys talking about a different PopCap? Maybe confusing them with PopTop? The PopCap I am familiar with were hated here for raping PC gaming and turning a generation of gamers into casual gaming lovers.

You might be thinking of Zynga hate.

And yes Popcap is pretty good.

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 10, 2012, 17:47 Creston

Half - being generous - the posts here are just contrary EA bashing based on zero facts.

Yeah, I'm gonna go with you just making that up so you can seem like the cool guy. I don't remember many people bashing PopCap for making casual games. That's just what they did.

And rather than "raping PC gaming" (Which you definitely made up out of thin air), they got quite a few people interested in gaming with some pretty inventive stuff. Admittedly the games they made people interested in were casual, but oh well. This wasn't a "generation of gamers." A substantial subset of PopCap's customers were people who'd have never bought a game otherwise.

I personally bought Bejeweled, Bespelled, Rocket Mania and Plants vs Zombies, and thoroughly enjoyed all four of them for hundreds and hundreds of hours. Those are the kind of games PopCap is good at making. Not "AAA" games in the fucking Frostbite 2 engine. Ergo, Latin, fuck EA.

Though I agree that we don't have to pity PopCap, as they agreed to be bought by EA. (Well, its owners did, anyway. I doubt the employees had any say in it whatsoever.)

Creston

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 10, 2012, 16:57 nin

The PopCap I am familiar with were hated here

I don't recall people here saying that at all.

Oh, poor Peggle, remember how we loved this game?

No, no we didn't, we hated that game and we hated that developer.

Again, I don't recall that. And I loved Peggle.

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 10, 2012, 16:41 Quboid

Funny how quickly things change when there's a hint of conflict with EA. Not even a hint, a theory. If that. EA are doing what they want with an organisation who voluntarily agreed to let them do this? Ohh, evil EA. Ohh, poor little PopCap. Oh, poor Peggle, remember how we loved this game?

No, no we didn't, we hated that game and we hated that developer. "Popcap's fantastic reputation"?! Are you kidding me? To be fair, maybe you did like them and PvZ is popular here (despite being the sort of casual game that we're supposed to be too cool to enjoy), but their reputation here was dismal.

Edit: This is unfair. PopCap were more popular than I'd thought and some people enjoyed their work. It was incorrect of me to assume that there was overlap between those who mindlessly hated on casual gaming and those who supporting PopCap here. I thought there was contrarian snobbery at play here but I was wrong and I apologise for this.

Also, I meant Bejeweled, not Peggle. My bad.

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2012, 19:23.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

6. Popcap AAA Title Dec 10, 2012, 14:45 jdreyer

Wow. What is there to say? If Popcap had still been independent and announced this, it would have been an interesting story to follow for sure, although I would have worried how they expected to pull this off with their resource levels. It takes more than 10 or 20 people to make an AAA title, but that's typical of what Popcap uses to develop its games.

I agree that Popcap's fantastic reputation is sliding into junk status, esp after the layoff of George Fan, who won't be involved in PvZ 2.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 10, 2012, 13:28 MDB

Bejeweled 3D. BE THE DIAMOND.  

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 10, 2012, 12:05 Creston

Verno wrote on Dec 10, 2012, 11:07:
Domgrief wrote on Dec 10, 2012, 10:50:
I'm glad the EA acquisition hasn't changed PopCap's focus on great casual games, and that they haven't just been coerced into turning out licensed products like Monopoly, or incorporating whatever the engine of the month is into their newest game.

Oh wait...

I'm trying to stay optimistic about it but every announcement related to PopCap seems to indicate the usual EA culture and soul crushing is in progress.

Yup. After all, AAA titles is what PopCap does best! It'll be a great day for the world when EA finally dies.

I can't blame the owners for cashing out, though. They made some serious fucking BANK. That EA then goes and rapes your company, like it's done with Bullfrog, and Origin, and Maxis, and Bioware, eh. If you have 300+ million in the bank, you probably don't care that much.

Creston

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 10, 2012, 11:07 Verno

Domgrief wrote on Dec 10, 2012, 10:50:
I'm glad the EA acquisition hasn't changed PopCap's focus on great casual games, and that they haven't just been coerced into turning out licensed products like Monopoly, or incorporating whatever the engine of the month is into their newest game.

Oh wait...

I'm trying to stay optimistic about it but every announcement related to PopCap seems to indicate the usual EA culture and soul crushing is in progress.

Playing: Pillars of Eternity 2, Far Cry 5, Persona 5
Watching: Safe, Game Night, Last Flag Flying

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 10, 2012, 11:02 Shok

Plants vs. Zombies the FPS...with multiplayer! Did I mention it has ZOMBIES???  

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 10, 2012, 10:50 Domgrief

Oh wait...

71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo