Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

Looks like the thunderstorms that have battered much of the country lately are still hanging around here today, and I think they are going to derail our plans. I guess that will work out for Hudson the wonder dog, as our presence will make this less miserable for her, though that's not to say she won't be miserable. Oh well.

Homey Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Detective Grimoire.
Deadly Neighbors 2.
Stories: Boyle opts for modesty as London follows Beijing’s lavish opening ceremony in austere times.
Science: Officials: Ebola breaks out in Uganda.
Images: Olympic opening ceremony- Photos from a good time in London.
How Much Does It Cost To Be Batman?
Media: Woah: Heath Ledger's Joker Was Basically Tom Waits.
My Little Pony The Fighting Game! No Really!
Squirrel Olympics 2012.
Follow-up: Dilbert.
View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2012, 16:36 RollinThundr

jdreyer wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 15:29:
RollinThundr wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 15:02:
Rattlehead wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 14:39:
Don't you love how people use the world liberal like it's a derogatory term.

Let's be honest, if it were a republican President who bailed out all these banks and companies, we'd never hear the end of "corporate welfare" yada yada. Obama does it, it's ok, no one cares.

Remember kids it's alright to add record debt as long as you're a democrat. Is that pretty much the moral of the story or what?

Wow, you really have no clue do you? Over the past 40 years, debt has fallen under Dems and risen under Repubs. Those are just facts.

As for Obama, he inherited the worst financial crisis since the great depression, exacerbated by the Bush tax cuts (which Obama extended during the crisis). During such an event gov't stimulus is the only way to kickstart the economy. Austerity only causes further economic shrinkage, and the Brits are discovering. If anything, the stimulus has been too small, and that's why we're still languishing.

Actually you would be wrong. [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Federal_Debt_1901-2010_.jpg[/url] Broken down by senate and congress as well. You don't need government to stimulate anything, the Great Depression wouldn't have dragged on as long if Gov didn't meddle and spend spend spend. Markets tend to correct themselves. This is something democrats just don't understand.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2012, 15:42 jdreyer

RollinThundr wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 15:25:
So the taxpayer should pay for them making too many SUV's rather than making a Prius? (and no that god awful Volt doesn't count) Here's the thing, when you or I screw up at work, or screwed up growing up, we paid the consequences for it.

This is the main issue with political correctness, there's no such thing as personal responsibility being taught these days.

Government is there to provide infrastructure, roads, police, fire military protection etc. They're not there to hand out bailouts for companies or individuals fucking off.

Unions were necessary 30 years ago, the unions of today that thrive off greed and making political contributions to the DNC are not the same as those working for worker's rights back then. And this is coming from someone in one.

Here's a better analogy: your company builds solar panels, but the main silicon plant is destroyed by a hurricane driving prices up. Your company has to lay off 30% of its workers, and you're one of them. It's the recession, so it will take you a years to get another. By your logic and credo, you're going to refuse government unemployment assistance and welfare, am I correct?

As for making a Prius, only a couple companies in the world at that time were working on hybrids or electrics out of dozens and dozens. GM was hardly in the minority. Ford survived b/c they'd just sold off a bunch of assets and had lots of liquid cash, and they'd just restructured. It was foresight combined with luck.

Unions of the past were much more in control of politics than they were today. Unions back then basically bought and paid for politicians, even selecting who would run. Today things are much less corrupt. Corporations are much more in control which is why the system is rigged so strongly in their favor. Read that article I linked to above. Wages are suffering b/c union influence is waning.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2012, 15:29 jdreyer

RollinThundr wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 15:02:

Let's be honest, if it were a republican President who bailed out all these banks and companies, we'd never hear the end of "corporate welfare" yada yada. Obama does it, it's ok, no one cares.

Remember kids it's alright to add record debt as long as you're a democrat. Is that pretty much the moral of the story or what?

Wow, you really have no clue do you? Over the past 40 years, debt has fallen under Dems and risen under Repubs. Those are just facts.

As for Obama, he inherited the worst financial crisis since the great depression, exacerbated by the Bush tax cuts (which Obama extended during the crisis). During such an event gov't stimulus is the only way to kickstart the economy. Austerity only causes further economic shrinkage, and the Brits are discovering. If anything, the stimulus has been too small, and that's why we're still languishing.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2012, 15:25 RollinThundr

jdreyer wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 15:13:
RollinThundr wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 14:32:
When you're not selling cars and the AWU continues to ask for more more more. Which they did for years. Who does some of the blame fall on? That's great GM's turning a profit, lovely, shame the tax payers won't see a penny of it.

GM paid back some. They didn't pay back everything they borrowed like some liberals will try to tell you.

First you say the tax payers won't see any of it, then you say it won't all be paid back meaning they've paid back some already. Does your right hand know what your left hand is typing?

Unions are not perfect, but you'd prefer to return to Victorian England where the vast majority of the population worked for subsistence wages for obscenely rich industrialists? It's no coincidence that over the last 30 years unions have been falling by the wayside while middle class wages have stagnated and the rich have gotten much richer. Thunder, your salary is lower by $1000s b/c the rich have been manipulating the system into their favor, including an aggressive campaign vs. unions.

As for GM, lots of car companies worldwide needed bailouts from their governments. GM's mistake was focusing too much on SUVs, but much of what happened to them was beyond their control: the twin catastrophes of the financial collapse and the doubling of gasoline prices. In a normal economic cycle they would have had time to adjust, but the pace of economic change was just too great. It's exactly for these kind of once-in-a-lifetime events that governments exist.

So the taxpayer should pay for them making too many SUV's rather than making a Prius? (and no that god awful Volt doesn't count) Here's the thing, when you or I screw up at work, or screwed up growing up, we paid the consequences for it.

This is the main issue with political correctness, there's no such thing as personal responsibility being taught these days.

Government is there to provide infrastructure, roads, police, fire military protection etc. They're not there to hand out bailouts for companies or individuals fucking off.

Unions were necessary 30 years ago, the unions of today that thrive off greed and making political contributions to the DNC are not the same as those working for worker's rights back then. And this is coming from someone in one.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2012, 15:13 jdreyer

RollinThundr wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 14:32:
When you're not selling cars and the AWU continues to ask for more more more. Which they did for years. Who does some of the blame fall on? That's great GM's turning a profit, lovely, shame the tax payers won't see a penny of it.

GM paid back some. They didn't pay back everything they borrowed like some liberals will try to tell you.

First you say the tax payers won't see any of it, then you say it won't all be paid back meaning they've paid back some already. Does your right hand know what your left hand is typing?

Unions are not perfect, but you'd prefer to return to Victorian England where the vast majority of the population worked for subsistence wages for obscenely rich industrialists? It's no coincidence that over the last 30 years unions have been falling by the wayside while middle class wages have stagnated and the rich have gotten much richer. Thunder, your salary is lower by $1000s b/c the rich have been manipulating the system into their favor, including an aggressive campaign vs. unions.

As for GM, lots of car companies worldwide needed bailouts from their governments. GM's mistake was focusing too much on SUVs, but much of what happened to them was beyond their control: the twin catastrophes of the financial collapse and the doubling of gasoline prices. In a normal economic cycle they would have had time to adjust, but the pace of economic change was just too great. It's exactly for these kind of once-in-a-lifetime events that governments exist.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2012, 15:02 RollinThundr

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2012, 14:39 Rattlehead

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2012, 14:32 RollinThundr

Beelzebud wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 13:50:
RollinThundr wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 22:57:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 19:59:
Cutter wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 16:57:
Bailout: An Inside Account of How Washington Abandoned Main Street While Rescuing Wall Street

Just saw a good interview with Neil Barofsky about his book and all the stuff still going on with TARP. The corruption and the sheer volume of theft and how the American tax payer has been screwed - yet again - simply boggles the mind. I'm just surprised more of you aren't snapping and going ballistic when you learn about this stuff. I look forward to giving this a read.

Yeah, TARP and the lack of transparency is shocking. People complain about the GM bailout, but that was small potatoes (billions vs trillions) and much of it has been paid back (and was useful in preserving an iconic American industry that actually makes stuff). Most of the TARP money will never come back, and we'll never know who most of those monies were dispersed to. Also, usually losses are repaid out pennies on the dollar, but for some reason TARP paid 100% of losses, which is unheard of.

Sadly, the financial collapse will result in few or no new laws to prevent a repeat. The financial industry pays off the politicians to prevent it. And the Citizens United decision by the SCOTUS further cements that state of affairs.

On the plus side, at least the LIBOR investigation seems to be going well.

I think the part that always gets me with the GM Bailout, is the major reason GM needed a bail out was their greedy employees in the first place. the auto workers union is a prime example of why unions in the US have way too much clout.

The GM "bailout" happened because no banks were in a position to loan them the money. It's amazing that you call the workers "greedy", considering that GM still uses a complete union work force and is already back to turning profits, and paying down their loan.

That's the right-wing mentality for you though. Call the workers greedy, and advocate a position that would have meant even more jobs lost.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2012, 13:50 Beelzebud

RollinThundr wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 22:57:
Bailout: An Inside Account of How Washington Abandoned Main Street While Rescuing Wall Street

Just saw a good interview with Neil Barofsky about his book and all the stuff still going on with TARP. The corruption and the sheer volume of theft and how the American tax payer has been screwed - yet again - simply boggles the mind. I'm just surprised more of you aren't snapping and going ballistic when you learn about this stuff. I look forward to giving this a read.

Yeah, TARP and the lack of transparency is shocking. People complain about the GM bailout, but that was small potatoes (billions vs trillions) and much of it has been paid back (and was useful in preserving an iconic American industry that actually makes stuff). Most of the TARP money will never come back, and we'll never know who most of those monies were dispersed to. Also, usually losses are repaid out pennies on the dollar, but for some reason TARP paid 100% of losses, which is unheard of.

Sadly, the financial collapse will result in few or no new laws to prevent a repeat. The financial industry pays off the politicians to prevent it. And the Citizens United decision by the SCOTUS further cements that state of affairs.

I think the part that always gets me with the GM Bailout, is the major reason GM needed a bail out was their greedy employees in the first place. the auto workers union is a prime example of why unions in the US have way too much clout.

The GM "bailout" happened because no banks were in a position to loan them the money. It's amazing that you call the workers "greedy", considering that GM still uses a complete union work force and is already back to turning profits, and paying down their loan.

That's the right-wing mentality for you though. Call the workers greedy, and advocate a position that would have meant even more jobs lost.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2012, 23:45 Ray Marden

On top of all this, the items that "had" to be saved because they were "too big to fail" are bigger than they ever previously wore. Maybe a few of them have (meager) additional funds set aside, but it is not like they will not be saved again...

Meanwhile, who has actually gone to jail over this? What type of sweeping reforms have we had? How much house cleaning did we do to get industry hacks out of government? Oh, right...
And why should they if "the people" don't care? So sad.
Hearing the Team America song in my head,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2012, 22:57 RollinThundr

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2012, 19:59 jdreyer

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2012, 19:47 Sepharo

eunichron wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 18:30:
If anyone was wanting to catch some Olympics events but doesn't want to deal with NBC's bullshit you can Google and download Expat Shield proxy. It will give you a UK IP so you can watch the BBC's live streams. It's infinitely better than NBC's garbage.

Eh I wanted to check out the Olympics for a bit but then they made me login through Comcast which was like "You're a dirty cable cutter! No streaming for you!" ... "Fine I guess I won't +1 your viewer count and watch your ads. You got me!"

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2012, 18:58 jdreyer

I played Path of Exile last night. Wow, pretty much copies Diablo II verbatim.

I didn't get very far, but I found TL2 more fun. Does anyone else have thoughts on it?

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2012, 18:30 eunichron

If anyone was wanting to catch some Olympics events but doesn't want to deal with NBC's bullshit you can Google and download Expat Shield proxy. It will give you a UK IP so you can watch the BBC's live streams. It's infinitely better than NBC's garbage.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2012, 17:53 PropheT

Don't believe everything you read and do some research on the claims he makes prior to reading the book. He misrepresents everything from the amount of money that went out on the deal to the effects of the deal (which is actually likely to make money by the time it's over due to interest) and so on. It's just more crap where it's pretty convincing until you look at the stuff he's not telling you.

4. Re: KOTOR 2 Finished Jul 28, 2012, 17:23 nin

http://kotaku.com/5370864/kotor-2-is-finally-finished

Oh wow. And there was just a recent rerelease of a boxed copy of both KOTOR games...wish the second was on steam.

Also has anyone played Vessel? I remember seeing a video for it awhile back and recently picked it up on Steam. I'm typically not a 2d platform or puzzle person but I'm really enjoying it.

I debated getting it when it was like $3.74, and decided to wait, and then ended up grabbing it for like $7.50 on the last day of the sale. The videos looked really neat, but I'd not heard of it before (it apparently came out earlier this year?).

So yeah, eventually...it's in the pile in the steam client.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2012, 16:57 Cutter

2. KOTOR 2 Finished Jul 28, 2012, 16:30 The Half Elf

http://kotaku.com/5370864/kotor-2-is-finally-finished

Also has anyone played Vessel? I remember seeing a video for it awhile back and recently picked it up on Steam. I'm typically not a 2d platform or puzzle person but I'm really enjoying it.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2012, 15:18 JeffD

the batman infographic is like, not even attempting to be accurate. 600 million for the manor? 50k grappling launchers? $250 encrypted memory sticks?!?! The small arms sections is hilariously overpriced.  

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >