Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Bend, OR 04/29

Regularly scheduled events

etc., etc.

View
3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

3. State of AAA Jul 3, 2012, 02:53 jdreyer

Okay, this is just stupid:

Epic Games, based in the unlikely city of Raleigh, North Carolina, is rapidly emerging as the poster child for survival in a post-AAA game industry landscape.

Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill is called the "Research Triangle" and is a magnet for highly intelligent and educated people and has several prominent universities like Duke and UNC pumping out fresh talent. It's also lush and verdant with nice weather and a relaxed lifestyle. It's hardly unlikely, quite the opposite: it's an obvious and excellent place to base a software company.

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.
Would you like to know more?
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

2. State of AAA Jul 3, 2012, 02:40 jdreyer

From the article:
Not only does the widening technological gap between consoles and PCs siphon profit and attention from AAA games developed for the consoles, but it puts the major publishers into a double disadvantage considering the staggering losses they generally attribute to developing strictly for the PC. Multiple sources speaking anonymously have pegged the PC game piracy rate at close to 90%, meaning only 10% of the people playing AAA games in the PC platform have actually paid for it. A new generation of console tech would cut that source of attrition off at the knees.

The thing is that most of that 90% wouldn't buy the game anyway, but some of them certainly would. I wonder what an objective assessment of that would be.

One way I like to think about it is comparing how I buy games now with Steam sales making them so cheap vs. how I bought them 10 years ago, when games were $50 and rarely dropped in price. Back then, I was much more selective and would play games much longer. I would buy games with mod and user created level potential like Quake and Unreal Tournament and Total Annihilation, so I could get free content, or build my own.

These days I buy games on a whim, which is easy when they are $5 or $10, and have many unplayed games. I think of pirates similarly, they pirate a lot of games, but probably only play a few of those religiously. If they had to pay full price for every game, they'd be a lot more selective, and not have nearly as many games in their libraries.

I enjoy AAA games at least as much as other types, so I hope they don't go away. I hope they can figure out a way to keep making them, even while providing paying customers with a good experience, and not overburdening with DRM.

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.
Would you like to know more?

1. Re: etc., etc. Jul 2, 2012, 21:07 nin

Man, I sure hope THQ can hold out long enough to ship (a quality) SR4...I sure am doubtful, though.

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo