Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Aliens: Colonial Marines in February 2013

SEGA of America announces another delay to Aliens: Colonial Marines, saying the upcoming first-person shooter is now expected globally on February 12, 2013. The game was last expected this Fall after a delay from this spring, but the announcement doesn't address the delays:
SAN FRANCISCO & LONDON (May 21, 2012) - SEGA® of America, Inc., SEGA® Europe Ltd., Gearbox Software and Twentieth Century Fox Consumer Products are thrilled to announce that the highly anticipated first-person shooter Aliens: Colonial Marines™ will be in stores worldwide on February 12, 2013. As the authentic addition to the ALIENS franchise canon, the game’s stunning visuals and adrenaline pumping action will deliver breathtakingly immersive single, cooperative and competitive multi-player modes. Providing for an innovative asymmetrical competitive multiplayer experience, Aliens: Colonial Marines lets players fight in first person as the ultimate combatants – the United States Colonial Marines, or in third person as the universe’s deadliest killers – the Xenomorphs. Plunging into familiar and new environments from the iconic film franchise, players will have to fight the fear and face the true horrors of the ALIENS universe.

“I am thrilled to announce the definitive launch date for Aliens: Colonial Marines,” said Randy Pitchford, President of Gearbox Software. “Aliens: Colonial Marines is the culmination of a life-time of inspiration from the films and relentless passion and drive from the exceptionally talented development team behind the scenes.”

“We knew this game would be incredible from the moment Gearbox began developing Aliens: Colonial Marines,” said, Gary Knight, Senior Vice President of Marketing for SEGA Europe and SEGA of America. “Now that the title is in its final stretch of development, we can confidently release the exact date that gamers will finally get to experience this blockbuster thrill-ride.”

“SEGA has a proven track record with the ALIENS franchise. ALIENS vs. PREDATOR released by SEGA in 2009 became one of their top-selling titles,” said Gary Rosenfeld, Senior Vice President for New Media for Fox Consumer Products. “We look forward to working with them and bringing an exciting new way for fans to immerse themselves in the ALIENS world.”

In partnership with Twentieth Century Fox Consumer Products and developed by critically acclaimed studio Gearbox Software, Aliens: Colonial Marines will bring new levels of bone-chilling suspense and adrenaline-filled action to the renowned franchise. Aliens: Colonial Marines begins with an ostensibly abandoned ship, the U.S.S. Sulaco, recovered in orbit around LV-426. Players lead a group of highly trained United States Colonial Marines as they board the deserted craft to uncover the fate of the crew. They will have to fight to survive unspeakable horrors and their own anxieties as they chase down the truth behind a galaxy-spanning deception that places humanity at the mercy of the most murderous and deadly species in the universe. Aliens: Colonial Marines features authentic environments, such as the surface of LV-426 and Hadley’s Hope, weapons inspired by the film series and is designed to provide an exhilarating and engaging new chapter in the ALIENS universe.

Aliens: Colonial Marines will be available in stores across the globe on February 12, 2013 on PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Windows PC. A release date for the announced Wii U™ version will be revealed at a later time.
View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in February 2013 May 22, 2012, 17:33 Jerykk

StingingVelvet wrote on May 22, 2012, 10:36:
Jerykk wrote on May 21, 2012, 18:21:
I kinda wish this was canceled instead of the Alien RPG by Obsidian. At least that had the potential to be interesting. Colonial Marines looks like CoD with Xenomorphs. Really slow Xenomorphs that apparently don't bleed acid. Also, they act like the concept of marines vs aliens has never been done before, except it was done in AvP on the Jaguar, AvP on the PC, AvP 2 on the PC and the latest multiplatform AvP. It's not a novel concept anymore.

They could have done something interesting with this game, like turning it into an X-COM-ish experience where you send marines to investigate various colonies, space stations, spaceships, etc, in an effort to wipe out the xenomorphs and track down the queen. Events could happen in real-time too, so if you decided to check out a space station before a colony, everyone on the colony could already be dead/impregnated by the time you get there, resulting in less intel and more aliens.

You act like the market doesn't want simple shooters. They do.

I never said the game wouldn't sell. I'm just saying that it won't sell to me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in February 2013 May 22, 2012, 12:16 Dades

StingingVelvet wrote on May 22, 2012, 10:36:

Maybe they want simple shooters but that doesn't mean every single shooter has to be that way. I don't think dumbing down Aliens is the right way to go, most of the fans of the franchise want a degree of complexity and attention to detail.

34. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in February 2013 May 22, 2012, 10:36 StingingVelvet

I kinda wish this was canceled instead of the Alien RPG by Obsidian. At least that had the potential to be interesting. Colonial Marines looks like CoD with Xenomorphs. Really slow Xenomorphs that apparently don't bleed acid. Also, they act like the concept of marines vs aliens has never been done before, except it was done in AvP on the Jaguar, AvP on the PC, AvP 2 on the PC and the latest multiplatform AvP. It's not a novel concept anymore.

They could have done something interesting with this game, like turning it into an X-COM-ish experience where you send marines to investigate various colonies, space stations, spaceships, etc, in an effort to wipe out the xenomorphs and track down the queen. Events could happen in real-time too, so if you decided to check out a space station before a colony, everyone on the colony could already be dead/impregnated by the time you get there, resulting in less intel and more aliens.

33. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in February 2013 May 22, 2012, 10:06 wtf_man

DangerDog wrote on May 21, 2012, 18:11:
No they were two completely different games, no switching from RPG to Shooter. SEGA is on rocky grounds financially and couldn't bet the farm on both games most likely.

Oh. I thought the 2010 AVP was the "other game" which was supposed to be a shooter, and CM was Obsidian's RPG. I didn't know there were two games in the works after AVP 2010.

Anyway... it's easy to see how one got confused over this. Thanks.

Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

32. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in February 2013 May 22, 2012, 02:42 Dmitri_M

DayZ like Aliens mod  

31. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in February 2013 May 21, 2012, 21:41 Jerykk

Sepharo wrote on May 21, 2012, 21:11:
Jerykk wrote on May 21, 2012, 20:23:
Prez wrote on May 21, 2012, 20:14:
I still find the Alien fascinating, and would love to see Colonial Marines be spectacular. If the game comes close to capturing the dread and desparation feel of "Aliens" I'll be in heaven. The troubling part is that this game is being billed as "action-packed". The action was only the culmination of a build-up of tension, and an Aliens game built around pure action sounds like it is missing the point.

Agreed. I think it would be much more interesting if you played as a colonist trying to survive a xenomorph invasion. The objective would be to stay alive until a rescue team arrives and you'd have to deal with other survivors, along with ambiguous moral choices and all that good stuff. It would basically be a zombie survival-horror game, only with xenomorphs instead of zombies. There could be a lot of interesting scenarios within that context. Like if someone gets facehuggered, you'd have to choose between killing them immediately or letting things pan out. If you kill them immediately, you don't have to worry about any chestbursters. However, doing so would cause the victim's husband/wife to hate you, which could have significant long-term repercussions.

Now I really want a survival horror xenomorph game. That is exactly what the series is suited for. Though I suppose it would end up more like Dead Space... It'd be neat keeping ship systems functional, sealing/unsealing hatches, using the environment to take down and/or trap aliens. I'm sure there will be some of that in this game too but it will be manifested as waypoints and tap-A inbetween shoot-everything.

I think guns really undermine the threat that xenomorphs present. In Alien and Alien 3, the survivors had to figure out a way to deal with the alien without any guns and that forced them to be more creative. With guns, you just point and shoot. If you base an entire game around shooting, the lack of variety (in both gameplay and enemy types) becomes all too apparent.

30. Natural Selection? May 21, 2012, 21:24 Ant

How a team based like Natural Selection mod.? Build nest, base, defense, offense, etc.? I want that!  

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

29. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in February 2013 May 21, 2012, 21:11 Sepharo

Jerykk wrote on May 21, 2012, 20:23:
I still find the Alien fascinating, and would love to see Colonial Marines be spectacular. If the game comes close to capturing the dread and desparation feel of "Aliens" I'll be in heaven. The troubling part is that this game is being billed as "action-packed". The action was only the culmination of a build-up of tension, and an Aliens game built around pure action sounds like it is missing the point.

Agreed. I think it would be much more interesting if you played as a colonist trying to survive a xenomorph invasion. The objective would be to stay alive until a rescue team arrives and you'd have to deal with other survivors, along with ambiguous moral choices and all that good stuff. It would basically be a zombie survival-horror game, only with xenomorphs instead of zombies. There could be a lot of interesting scenarios within that context. Like if someone gets facehuggered, you'd have to choose between killing them immediately or letting things pan out. If you kill them immediately, you don't have to worry about any chestbursters. However, doing so would cause the victim's husband/wife to hate you, which could have significant long-term repercussions.

Now I really want a survival horror xenomorph game. That is exactly what the series is suited for. Though I suppose it would end up more like Dead Space... It'd be neat keeping ship systems functional, sealing/unsealing hatches, using the environment to take down and/or trap aliens. I'm sure there will be some of that in this game too but it will be manifested as waypoints and tap-A inbetween shoot-everything.

28. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in February 2013 May 21, 2012, 20:36 Shataan

I still think anything Aliens, or AVP ingeneral still has alot of miliage left in it.

Gotta agree with the "forcing a 3rd pov is retarded" comment made earlier. Gameplaywise, it makes absolutely no sense. It reminds me of the time Bungie was bound and determined to release Halo as a 3rd pov only game.

I personally did quite a few poll threads at as many sites as I could, and the alround vote was for both 3rd AND 1st pov to allow for player choice. Bungie crapped when they found out. Thank God Micro$oft got the game and released it as a what? 1st person game. Go figure.

I suspect the 3rd pov aspect is because Randy Pitchford and Company are too lazy or not talented enough to make the 1st pov control scheme for Alien work on the XBox 360 and other consoles. And THEN they decided to force it on PC players to make it look like a game design decision.

So Alien PC gamers are gonna get bent over and forced to use the XBox 360 asscam view.... instead of being allowed either 3rd OR 1st pov..... aka choice. And so cometh the de-evolution of PC gaming.

I do have to add that I think the visuals in this last vid footage are amazing.

27. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in February 2013 May 21, 2012, 20:23 Jerykk

26. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in February 2013 May 21, 2012, 20:14 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

25. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in February 2013 May 21, 2012, 19:49 Orogogus

Jerykk wrote on May 21, 2012, 19:39:
I feel like the RPG was a pretty bad idea, too. The enemy list relating to Aliens is played out, with relatively little variety compared to almost any game out there. Their hand-to-hand nature would tend to make RPG combat repetitive -- what's going to happen in this mission? Well, aliens might burst out of the walls and floors and ceilings and try to eat my Marines to death. The suspense is kind of missing, especially the OMG! ALIENS!!! WTF!! thing that the movies revolve around.

Yeah, xenomorphs have grown a bit stale. You already know pretty much everything about them. Granted, Obsidian could have taken some creative liberties here and there. Xenomorphs are supposed to retain characteristics from their host, so if there were other non-xenomorph aliens to impregnate, that could have made for some interesting enemy variety.

I think the first time you run into an acid-spitting alien, a flamethrower alien or an elephant/Ultralisk/Carnifex sized alien, you'd just stop and wonder, "Am I still playing an Aliens game?" At which point, again, it makes more sense to just make a new franchise, or at least use one that gives you a little more to work with than 3-4 monsters, 3 vehicles, a handful of guns and a power loader suit. Warhammer 40K, Starcraft, Dead Space. Freaking Starship Troopers. Even Xenophobe, or Incubation.

24. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in February 2013 May 21, 2012, 19:39 Jerykk

I feel like the RPG was a pretty bad idea, too. The enemy list relating to Aliens is played out, with relatively little variety compared to almost any game out there. Their hand-to-hand nature would tend to make RPG combat repetitive -- what's going to happen in this mission? Well, aliens might burst out of the walls and floors and ceilings and try to eat my Marines to death. The suspense is kind of missing, especially the OMG! ALIENS!!! WTF!! thing that the movies revolve around.

Yeah, xenomorphs have grown a bit stale. You already know pretty much everything about them. Granted, Obsidian could have taken some creative liberties here and there. Xenomorphs are supposed to retain characteristics from their host, so if there were other non-xenomorph aliens to impregnate, that could have made for some interesting enemy variety.

23. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in February 2013 May 21, 2012, 19:29 DangerDog

lol at that Alien into the vent video, yeah I jumped.  

22. Aliens Colonial Marines Suspense Trailer May 21, 2012, 19:27 Ant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0oqONEdlzU for a trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG4opj3dMxc for IG Extended: Aliens: Colonial Marines - Hands On from last month. Did Blue miss this?

This comment was edited on May 21, 2012, 19:44.

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

21. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in February 2013 May 21, 2012, 18:59 Mad Max RW

God A:CM looks worse every time I see it. And it's not like they have shown anything new. The gameplay looks so damn watered down and console oriented. Maybe the singleplayer will be an OK distraction like with AvP3, but there is NO WAY multiplayer will touch either AvP1, 2, or even the long forgotten Aliens Online.

The only thing that can reinvigorate this dead franchise is to hand it off to indie devs to make hardcore PC exclusive online shooters and Amnesia style horror games. This guy has the right idea and will likely get shut down by lawyers before getting much further.

20. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in February 2013 May 21, 2012, 18:50 Orogogus

About the only interesting thing you might be able to do with the universe in my opinion is take a step back from the aliens and have a game that has the Colonial Marines kicking ass against whatever it was they were supposed to have been fighting before they ran into the aliens.

Or even better, you could also just make up a new setting and run with that (see: Dead Space). The Aliens setting was good for making at least two movies, and I'm not sure it was ever good for more than one or two games.

19. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in February 2013 May 21, 2012, 18:37 DangerDog

Yeah, you can geek out a little on the nostalgia factor if your an Aliens fan but it is a little tired now, the biggest thing that you had in the movie is that you actually cared about who lived and who died.

I don't think they can get away with that here no matter how hard they try. When Aliens came out it was far from the norm to see women kicking ass in movies, especially in a military roll (vasquez).

And now you have Prometheus coming out which will modernize the Alien universe technology wise, it's going to be harder to slot this into the world of Aliens. They're playing it too safe perhaps, I haven't seen anything that expands on the tech from the movie.

18. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in February 2013 May 21, 2012, 18:21 Jerykk

This comment was edited on May 21, 2012, 18:28.

17. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in February 2013 May 21, 2012, 18:16 Cutter

Unless they've radically changed everything about this game it's going to suck.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >