Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Interview

A video interview on Games On Net talks with Jay Wilson of Blizzard about Diablo III and "why item acquisition is more important than ladders, how they plan to handle latency for Australians, and why they will not incorporate an 'offline mode." They also have a blurb up about some comments Wilson made about the stand he took against changing the visual perspective in the action/RPG sequel that's due for release next week: "Very early on in the process we had some people who argued that we should not make the game isometric, that it would be better technology, more modern, if we made a third or first-person game," said Wilson. "I really would have nothing of it. For me a camera is not a technology choice, there's more than enough first and third-person games out there."

View
134 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

54. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 16:25 Slashman

Prez wrote on May 7, 2012, 16:09:
Enough has been said about Blizzard's excuses for always-on DRM and the inclusion of a cash shop; I absolutely despise both design decisions, but it's not going to change so the point seems moot. What I do find interesting is what feature they picked to remain true to from traditional Diablo mechanics - namely the isometric perspective.

Hellgate turned out to be a disaster because of Bill Roper's greed and incompetence, but the fundamental mechanics were actually pretty sound. Many people called it a "First-Person Diablo" and what little I tried of it left me with a similar impression. Also, Guild Wars had a similar feel and it was ots third-person. Which all compels me to believe that changing the perspective alone doesn't make it "not Diablo". In truth, I would contend that the things they have changed make it less Diablo than a perspective change would. But maybe that's just me.

I pretty much agree. Allowing camera adjustments really doesn't make the game less or more Diablo as long as the gameplay remains familiar.

Still not buying it, but yeah...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

53. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 16:21 Wowbagger_TIP

ASeven wrote on May 7, 2012, 14:50:
In other, better news...

Grim Dawn fully funded just now!

Awesome. I haven't bought into that one yet. Guess I was waiting around for the Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun Returns ones to finish. Gonna get in now though. Hope they can raise a lot more and add more content.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

52. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 16:21 Luke

Enough has been said about Blizzard's excuses for always-on DRM and the inclusion of a cash shop; I absolutely despise both design decisions, but it's not going to change so the point seems moot.

The power lies with the gamers we can if we WANT to...but it seems peps eat all they throw at you

51. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 16:09 Prez

Enough has been said about Blizzard's excuses for always-on DRM and the inclusion of a cash shop; I absolutely despise both design decisions, but it's not going to change so the point seems moot. What I do find interesting is what feature they picked to remain true to from traditional Diablo mechanics - namely the isometric perspective.

Hellgate turned out to be a disaster because of Bill Roper's greed and incompetence, but the fundamental mechanics were actually pretty sound. Many people called it a "First-Person Diablo" and what little I tried of it left me with a similar impression. Also, Guild Wars had a similar feel and it was ots third-person. Which all compels me to believe that changing the perspective alone doesn't make it "not Diablo". In truth, I would contend that the things they have changed make it less Diablo than a perspective change would. But maybe that's just me.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

50. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 15:50 Flatline

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 7, 2012, 13:12:
eunichron wrote on May 7, 2012, 12:59:

Oh wait, the only differences are that one has an RMAH and always-online DRM.
To be perfectly honest, if you're going to allow a RMAH, there's no real way to get around it. It's going to have to have an 'always on' connection if nothing to break dupers, and reducing the chances of seeing 29370879878909 SoJ's. Like we saw last time, you know, in D2.

Is it going to break dupers though? Where there's a will there's a way.

49. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 15:44 Agent.X7

rist3903 wrote on May 7, 2012, 15:15:
So to steer the discussion away from flamebait, what's everyone playing?
I'm psyched to play a Demon Hunter with all the homing rocket abilities I can pick. Games need more homing rockets/missiles, IMO.

Sorcerer. I always pick that in new games, it seems. I guess I like the pretty 'splosions.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

48. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 15:42 Flatline

Wallshadows wrote on May 7, 2012, 10:39:
From what I recall, the reason there is no offline mode is due to the fact that most of the items, if not all, are stored server side to prevent the wide-spread duping found in D2 and D1 where the information was stored locally. Could you imagine the RMAH with Diablo 2 duping?

Another ruststorm could come and wipe out all the duped items or items disappear after you leave the game and those who bought in to them will be calling for heads to roll while the seller cashes out.

It makes sense to me and if it actually makes a dupe-free market then I think this design will impress more people than turn away.

You inadvertently hit on the core here: Blizzard wants you to buy shit from the auction house with real money. Even in this day and age, I'm willing to bet more people play a game single player, offline, than online with multiplayer. In fact, I'm almost positive of it. You sell 10 million copies of the latest COD game (whose only redeeming value is multiplayer at this point) but you only ever see 2-300,000 people online at once.

So they probably thought "let's do a real-money auction hall!" and someone said "that's awesome! But only 25% of the people who play the game will get on battle.net" and someone else said "let's make it 100% online on battle.net, then everyone can spend money!"

And thus "offline" mode was ditched.

47. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 15:15 rist3903

So to steer the discussion away from flamebait, what's everyone playing?
I'm psyched to play a Demon Hunter with all the homing rocket abilities I can pick. Games need more homing rockets/missiles, IMO.

46. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 15:03 Undocumented Alien

I'm only hoping that Runic hasn't ruined the Torchlight series by changing the game play to cartoon graphics as shown in the game's opening trailer.

In regards to Torchlight 2, the actual game play footage I have seen looks very similar to T1, doesn't look any more cartoon'ish.

45. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 14:51 WaltC

What a thread...;) First off, I want to say that I very much enjoyed the original D1&2 games at the time they were released. IIRC, they were both very good single player games that were so much fun, in my opinion, because of the atmosphere they created for the player--the music, the narration, all of it. If you didn't play the original D1&2, then pick up a copy of Torchlight (1) by Runic--it has much of the same wonderful atmosphere of D1&2 (If you haven't played Torchlight, play it immediately!).

It's too bad, but I understand that D3 will not be single player and cannot be played offline--basically, the opposite of D1 and D2. The guy in the interview, near the end, says "You can play single-player, but we don't recommend it." How is that possible offline with Blizzard selling only the client? I also understand that D3 will use a fixed camera. OK, so that lets me out--not interested at all anymore. Absence of single-player/offline play for a Diablo sequel seems like a nutty design decision if ever there was one. Cameras were indeed often fixed a decade or more ago, but it was because of the hardware technology limits of the day, and programming decisions relative to writing to the lowest common technology denominator of the day--as opposed to some kind of appealing design decision.

If you have played Witcher 1, then you'll know what kind of camera I prefer. In Witcher 1 you can zoom all the way in to First Person, out to third person, and still further out to an overhead view. It's your choice. (I think it is one of the things I really missed in Witcher 2, which has a fixed, third-person camera view.) Today I think it's silly not to include a zoom-able camera, like the one found in Witcher 1 and lots of other games, actually.

So for these reasons I will likely skip D3. T2 looks very promising. I'm only hoping that Runic hasn't ruined the Torchlight series by changing the game play to cartoon graphics as shown in the game's opening trailer.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

44. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 14:51 nin

ASeven wrote on May 7, 2012, 14:50:
In other, better news...

Oh sweet! I need to get in on that one! Saw Jane Jensen made hers too.

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

43. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 14:50 ASeven

In other, better news...

42. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 14:48 ASeven

Verno wrote on May 7, 2012, 14:30:
Krovven wrote on May 7, 2012, 14:03:
So NIN solidifies himself as a punk bitch troll that can't actually discuss things, just make personal attacks. Pretty sure he has me on ignore, which makes his attacks even more childish. If you want to say something, stop being a punk bitch taking personal pot shots and hiding behind the ignore function.

Yes, who do we know who does this? Hmm, let me think hard to the last D3 thread where someone did exactly that...wait it was someone using your username, the rascals!

Also getting baited by such low hanging fruit is pretty golf clap worthy. Responding with a vocabulary consisting of "dickhead, stupid, moron, idiot" will totally help smooth things out though, way to go on that last word Bullseye

Thread was going ok too, sigh

What do you expect from Krovven though? You should lower your expectations quite a bit when it comes to Krovven. Lowest common denominator perhaps?

41. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 14:30 Verno

So NIN solidifies himself as a punk bitch troll that can't actually discuss things, just make personal attacks. Pretty sure he has me on ignore, which makes his attacks even more childish. If you want to say something, stop being a punk bitch taking personal pot shots and hiding behind the ignore function.

Yes, who do we know who does this? Hmm, let me think hard to the last D3 thread where someone did exactly that...wait it was someone using your username, the rascals!

Also getting baited by such low hanging fruit is pretty golf clap worthy. Responding with a vocabulary consisting of "dickhead, stupid, moron, idiot" will totally help smooth things out though, way to go on that last word Bullseye

Thread was going ok too, sigh

Playing: Renovate My Kitchen
Watching: MI Fallout, Deadpool 2, House

40. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 14:18 RollinThundr

nin wrote on May 7, 2012, 13:55:
RollinThundr wrote on May 7, 2012, 13:53:

To be perfectly honest, if you're going to allow a RMAH, there's no real way to get around it. It's going to have to have an 'always on' connection if nothing to break dupers, and reducing the chances of seeing 29370879878909 SoJ's. Like we saw last time, you know, in D2.

I still want to know what Blizzard and their fanboys like Krowen are going to come up with as an excuse when dupes start showing up anyway.

Krowwwwween will tell you Blizzard MEANT to do that, of course!

Further goes to prove the dickhead trolls don't actually pay attention to what anyone says. I've always stated that there will still be cheating, but with it being always online they will be able to track abnormalities and deal with them more easily. Only a moron would suggest there would be zero cheating.

Says the guy who was arguing it only being online to prevent cheats and not trying to push people towards using the RMAH. Riggggght. Evilgrin

So what's the excuse going to be Krowen? Made one up yet?

39. removed May 7, 2012, 14:03 Krovven

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 7, 2012, 14:48.

38. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 13:55 nin

RollinThundr wrote on May 7, 2012, 13:53:

I still want to know what Blizzard and their fanboys like Krowen are going to come up with as an excuse when dupes start showing up anyway.

Krowwwwween will tell you Blizzard MEANT to do that, of course!

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1

37. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 13:53 RollinThundr

36. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 13:51 nin

eunichron wrote on May 7, 2012, 13:49:
deqer wrote on May 7, 2012, 13:20:
So, you did NOT watch the stream. Okay.

So, you did NOT play the Diablo 3 beta. Okay.

See how that works? I can do it too.

I find it funny he shits all over everything else - but when TL2 comes up, by god, everyone better preorder now!

35. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 13:49 eunichron

deqer wrote on May 7, 2012, 13:20:
So, you did NOT watch the stream. Okay.

So, you did NOT play the Diablo 3 beta. Okay.

See how that works? I can do it too.

134 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo