John Romero's Shooter Plans

Former id Software designer John Romero indicated earlier this year he still has plans to design a first-person shooter, and now Eurogamer has word from the Loot Drop CEO this will probably be a PC-first "MMO-ish" persistent world game, though this is not anywhere near development at this point. "Yes, I'm definitely going to be making another shooter and it will be on PC first," he tells them. It's a persistent game, it has persistent player data, the character grows and gets better over time. I think most gamers expect that now anyway, but this was a design I'd done a while ago. I think it's pretty valid. "You will be playing the game as you would expect a shooter to feel, but the specifics of your situation, narrative wrapper and reward system are all unique. I wouldn't want to give out any specifics until I'm close to shipping it. I've learned my lesson about talking too soon about specific game features and release dates."
View : : :
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: John Romero's Shooter Plans
Apr 6, 2012, 20:06
Re: John Romero's Shooter Plans Apr 6, 2012, 20:06
Apr 6, 2012, 20:06

RamataKahn wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 16:51:
That's all well and good, but that fact that he still saying the game failed because he released info about it before it shipped and not because it was a shitty shows he hasn't really changed.

nothing changed and nothing learned.

Apr 6, 2012, 16:51
Re: John Romero's Shooter Plans Apr 6, 2012, 16:51
Apr 6, 2012, 16:51

Rigs wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 15:57:
The way I see it is that while he fucked up royal, everyone makes mistakes. I know I've made some really bad ones in the past myself and I hate it when they are brought up 10 years down the line when I've totally changed since then. The sad part about it is he will never live that down - ever. And that's a shame but while he could just curl in a ball in the corner of his closet and disappear, he's swallowed his pride and tried to make the most out of what he has left. Surely something like that can be seen as respectable? He took blame for the horrific disaster that was ION STORM Dallas but, personally, I don't think he should shoulder all of it. He got swept up in it and soon it just took on a life of it's own, snowballing into a bigger debacle whenever he tried to take control of it. When people are throwing themselves and money at you for just the promise of doing something, it can go to your head real quick, I suppose. (I've never been in that kind of situation, sadly, but I would imagine it would)

All I can say is wait and see. If it's good, it's good. If not, then it's not. Not a big deal. At least he isn't promising something bigger and better that will make up for his past screw ups.

=-Rigs-=

That's all well and good, but that fact that he still saying the game failed because he released info about it before it shipped and not because it was a shitty game shows he hasn't really changed.

This comment was edited on Apr 6, 2012, 20:11.

Apr 6, 2012, 15:57
Rigs

Re: John Romero's Shooter Plans Apr 6, 2012, 15:57
Apr 6, 2012, 15:57
 Rigs

The way I see it is that while he fucked up royal, everyone makes mistakes. I know I've made some really bad ones in the past myself and I hate it when they are brought up 10 years down the line when I've totally changed since then. The sad part about it is he will never live that down - ever. And that's a shame but while he could just curl in a ball in the corner of his closet and disappear, he's swallowed his pride and tried to make the most out of what he has left. Surely something like that can be seen as respectable? He took blame for the horrific disaster that was ION STORM Dallas but, personally, I don't think he should shoulder all of it. He got swept up in it and soon it just took on a life of it's own, snowballing into a bigger debacle whenever he tried to take control of it. When people are throwing themselves and money at you for just the promise of doing something, it can go to your head real quick, I suppose. (I've never been in that kind of situation, sadly, but I would imagine it would)

All I can say is wait and see. If it's good, it's good. If not, then it's not. Not a big deal. At least he isn't promising something bigger and better that will make up for his past screw ups.

Also...this: (from here)

ION STORM TEAM: "John, what should we do about health? Should we just stick with the traditional health kits?"
POD PEOPLE: (quietly chanting) "Lame healing fruit... lame healing fruit... lame healing fruit..."
JOHN ROMERO: "WE NEED LAME HEALING FRUIT."
KILLCREEK: "John, I'm really worried about the direction that this project is heading-"
POD PEOPLE: (shoots Killcreek with their Gamma Ray Gun)
KILLCREEK: "I HAVE BREASTS."
JOHN ROMERO: "WE NEED MORE FROGS."
ION STORM TEAM: "We quit."

=-Rigs-=

Apr 6, 2012, 15:36
Re: John Romero's Shooter Plans Apr 6, 2012, 15:36
Apr 6, 2012, 15:36

Squirmer wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 02:28:
A level designer on a game with some of the best level design ever seen.

If you're suggesting Doom was only successful because of its technology, you're not qualified to give critical commentary on any videogames.
That level of sheer, idiotic fanboyism disqualifies you for residence on Earth. Get off my planet, you fucking oxygen-thief.

Apr 6, 2012, 13:19
Re: John Romero's Shooter Plans Apr 6, 2012, 13:19
Apr 6, 2012, 13:19

"I wouldn't want to give out any specifics until I'm close to shipping it. I've learned my lesson about talking too soon about specific game features and release dates."

lol, the lesson was not to make a shitty game.

Apr 6, 2012, 10:02
Beamer

Re: John Romero's Shooter Plans Apr 6, 2012, 10:02
Apr 6, 2012, 10:02
 Beamer

Necrophob wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 09:56:
Prez wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 21:22:
Who woulda thunk it? the first post in a thread about John Romero referred to his moronic (but iconic) "make you his bitch" campaign!

At any rate, despite my belief that he's the most overrated guy in gaming hisory, I'll at least keep an open mind until I see what he's going to give us. Of course, if it sucks, he can always go back to making throwaway mobile games.

Unfortunately, he incurs Derek Smart levels of rancor. And most people who pound away at him probably never even played Daikatana themselves anyways. You make several great games, followed by one bad game, and people consider you a shitty designer.

You are the core person responsible for the design of what was likely the most atmospheric game of its time and you designed what becomes institutions in an entire genre, and one bad game, a lot of bravado and, most notably, a terrible ad campaign created by someone else makes you one of the most hated people in the industry.

It's weird, right?
I'm not a huge Romero fan, but you'd think at some point he would have become the underdog and people would remember the good he gave us and feel bad for him, rather than constantly spitting on his grave.

Apr 6, 2012, 10:01
Re: John Romero's Shooter Plans Apr 6, 2012, 10:01
Apr 6, 2012, 10:01

Sepharo wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 01:21:
Cutter wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 01:05:
Yes, but the first PS wasn't bad, it was just ahead of its time. I think most of us were still on modems at that point.

It was 2003, little late for gamers to be on modems in my opinion. I got my cable modem in 1999 and I knew many who had cable before that.

Sadly, I was still on a dialup in 2005. Being a purveyor of single player games, it didn't really bug me. Until I bought WoW, that is. And even then, I didn't start noticing how bad dialup was until the honor system came out and more data started flying around.

Apr 6, 2012, 09:56
Re: John Romero's Shooter Plans Apr 6, 2012, 09:56
Apr 6, 2012, 09:56

Who woulda thunk it? the first post in a thread about John Romero referred to his moronic (but iconic) "make you his bitch" campaign!

At any rate, despite my belief that he's the most overrated guy in gaming hisory, I'll at least keep an open mind until I see what he's going to give us. Of course, if it sucks, he can always go back to making throwaway mobile games.

Unfortunately, he incurs Derek Smart levels of rancor. And most people who pound away at him probably never even played Daikatana themselves anyways. You make several great games, followed by one bad game, and people consider you a shitty designer.

Apr 6, 2012, 09:10
Re: John Romero's Shooter Plans Apr 6, 2012, 09:10
Apr 6, 2012, 09:10

I think his new "spouse to be" has made him -> her bioatch!

He's a short muddafuck, ain't he?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BAFTA2011_GameDevs.jpg
Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

Apr 6, 2012, 08:29
Re: John Romero's Shooter Plans Apr 6, 2012, 08:29
Apr 6, 2012, 08:29

He is right on the money with this-> persistent game

I wish they all would realize that a FPS should be just part of the mechanics of a great MMORPG lol I wish him well!

Apr 6, 2012, 08:17
Prez

Re: John Romero's Shooter Plans Apr 6, 2012, 08:17
Apr 6, 2012, 08:17
 Prez

zirik wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 06:31:
Icewind wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 22:58:
When is Stevie Killcreek Case's game coming out?

Oh that's right, she's on the street corner turning tricks.

ouch. its not that bad. at least she ended up married to a guy who is more stable than romero. wasnt she one of the "next game gods" on the cover of pc gamer a while back? they must regret that one.

That was under Rob Smith as EiC. At least 3 of the ensuing EiC's all very publicly decried that as one of the biggest gaffs in the magazine's history. I know it was a big joke in their 10 year anniversary issue.

How moronic is it if was so memorable its still the first thing people think of when they hear his name?

People remember him for his very embarrassing and very spectacular failure to deliver a decent game after mountains of hype that went on for years, made all the more spectacular given the expectations everyone had for someone who worked on such a brilliant game previously and seemed to have so much potential. The "bitch" campaign was just a sad footnote that has come to epitomize the idiocy and disappointment of the whole situation.

This comment was edited on Apr 6, 2012, 08:24.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 6, 2012, 06:44
Dev

Re: John Romero's Shooter Plans Apr 6, 2012, 06:44
Apr 6, 2012, 06:44
 Dev

Creston wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 00:30:

And to be fair, that was never HIS idea to begin with. It was the idiot publisher that came up with that.
How moronic is it if was so memorable its still the first thing people think of when they hear his name?

I wonder if running that campaign made them more sales or less? I've always heard that any publicity is good publicity.

Just thinking out loud, I don't know if it was a good thing or bad thing overall for that game and his name recognization.

Apr 6, 2012, 06:31
Re: John Romero's Shooter Plans Apr 6, 2012, 06:31
Apr 6, 2012, 06:31

Icewind wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 22:58:
When is Stevie Killcreek Case's game coming out?

Oh that's right, she's on the street corner turning tricks.

ouch. its not that bad. at least she ended up married to a guy who is more stable than romero. wasnt she one of the "next game gods" on the cover of pc gamer a while back? they must regret that one.

Apr 6, 2012, 05:01
Re: John Romero's Shooter Plans Apr 6, 2012, 05:01
Apr 6, 2012, 05:01

D_K_night wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 02:21:
Wraith wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 02:18:
All you are is a man-child who thinks his own personal vision of what's "cool" is somehow going to be shared by others.

In that regard you remind me of him

So much lyricism for a guy who just happened to release an overhyped game 12 years ago. Would be a sound idea to find a new obsession

Apr 6, 2012, 03:42
Prez

Re: John Romero's Shooter Plans Apr 6, 2012, 03:42
Apr 6, 2012, 03:42
 Prez

If you're suggesting Doom was only successful because of its technology, you're not qualified to give critical commentary on any videogames.

Okay, this made me laugh out loud. Laugh
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 6, 2012, 02:47
Re: John Romero's Shooter Plans Apr 6, 2012, 02:47
Apr 6, 2012, 02:47

He'll be the one laughing when we realize that he's singlehandedly released the best game ever made...

Apr 6, 2012, 02:39
Re: John Romero's Shooter Plans Apr 6, 2012, 02:39
Apr 6, 2012, 02:39

"PC-first", not PC-exclusive and "MMO-ish"... see I knew there was a catch if Romero had "plans". Obviously the plan is to fuck up again. OK. Have at it, Johnnyboy. Your money, not mine .

Apr 6, 2012, 02:28
Re: John Romero's Shooter Plans Apr 6, 2012, 02:28
Apr 6, 2012, 02:28

All you ever were, was a level designer for the most advanced engines ever made.
A level designer on a game with some of the best level design ever seen.

Apr 6, 2012, 02:24
Re: John Romero's Shooter Plans Apr 6, 2012, 02:24
Apr 6, 2012, 02:24

D_K_night wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 02:19:
And wasn't ION Storm(does it still exist?) just focused on iOS games?
I'm used to a lot of ignorance in comment threads about videogames, but this takes the cake.

Apr 6, 2012, 02:21
Re: John Romero's Shooter Plans Apr 6, 2012, 02:21
Apr 6, 2012, 02:21

For fuck's sake, John, it's about time you stopped believing your own bullshit.

All you ever were, was a level designer for the most advanced engines ever made. There is nothing startling or even halfway competent about your work.

* You do not understand gameplay.
* You do not understand complexity.
* You totally fail to grasp the purpose of character customisation
* You are clueless about atmosphere and how aesthetics produce specific effects upon the players
* Your understanding of scale and perspective is non-existent.

All you are is a man-child who thinks his own personal vision of what's "cool" is somehow going to be shared by others. Despite the fact that Daikatana was a bomb and every single good thing Ion Storm ever produced had sweet fuck all to do with you.

Your absence makes a game significantly better.

Don't worry about whether you talk about your game or not. It'll still be shit, because you simply have no fucking clue about what makes a good game.

Christ, I can't believe people are still giving this colossal failure more press. He's like the Derek Smart of the FPS world.

But...Design is law.

Sorry, I had to slip that in there
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older