Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

etc.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: EA/Bioware in Full PR Damage Control Mode Mar 18, 2012, 14:53 Creston

Bhruic wrote on Mar 18, 2012, 00:27:
I can't fire up my savegames right now because ME3 makes ME2 not run, but when you go back to the Citadel in ME2, after being resurrected by Cerberus, the entire Council is made up of humans. Not the Turian/Asari/Salarian threesome.

Miranda also states at the start of ME2 that after letting the council die, humanity is completely in charge.

I just played through it a few days ago. I assure you, that doesn't happen. You can create a "human only" council in ME1, but by ME2, it's already gone. As the wiki states about the ME2 intro:
If the Councilors are killed in Mass Effect, and replaced by an all-human Council, the following text is displayed:

“One month after the devastating geth attack on the Citadel, humanity seized political control of the galaxy.

Now the human-led Council is forced to respond to evidence that the Reapers

It's already "human-led" by this point, not "human only". From a gameplay perspective, there never is a period where humans are the only ones on the council.

That is so weird... I could have SWORN that you see a human-only council. I'm not kidding, the first time I played a "killed the council" Shep, there were three HUMAN councilors answering Anderson's call from his office (when Shep goes back to meet him for the first time.)

It's been a long time since I did that, so I guess maybe they patched that out of the game and changed it.

Weird. Well, anyway, I guess it doesn't really matter WHEN it's retconned.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: etc. Mar 18, 2012, 04:25 RailWizard

I had enough of bioware games after NWN and KOTOR. Same core gameplay in every game=boooooring. Some new art does not hide it.  

27. Re: EA/Bioware in Full PR Damage Control Mode Mar 18, 2012, 00:50 Leper

nin wrote on Mar 17, 2012, 20:55:
Prez wrote on Mar 17, 2012, 20:44:
Leper wrote on Mar 17, 2012, 19:14:
That's "The Abyss" for me. Fantastic movie, horrifically, brain-suckingly stupid ending.

Have you seen the director's cut? I don't know if the ending is better, but at least the whole movie makes more sense.

No, I haven't, actually. I only have the theatrical release on DVD; but maybe I ought to try the DC out.

I can't remember exactly, but I thought the DC of Abyss was a bit different, and I like it, years ago.

I believe (according to thedigitalbits) it's due on blu in 2013, along with True Lies (Yes!) and I'll be picking them both up on day one.

The DC has a lot more with the aliens that they cut out to get the running time down. I use to own the DVD, but it was stolen so I haven't seen it in a while either. Definitely worth seeing at least once for Cameron's original vision.

26. Re: EA/Bioware in Full PR Damage Control Mode Mar 18, 2012, 00:27 Bhruic

I can't fire up my savegames right now because ME3 makes ME2 not run, but when you go back to the Citadel in ME2, after being resurrected by Cerberus, the entire Council is made up of humans. Not the Turian/Asari/Salarian threesome.

Miranda also states at the start of ME2 that after letting the council die, humanity is completely in charge.

I just played through it a few days ago. I assure you, that doesn't happen. You can create a "human only" council in ME1, but by ME2, it's already gone. As the wiki states about the ME2 intro:
If the Councilors are killed in Mass Effect, and replaced by an all-human Council, the following text is displayed:

“One month after the devastating geth attack on the Citadel, humanity seized political control of the galaxy.

Now the human-led Council is forced to respond to evidence that the Reapers

It's already "human-led" by this point, not "human only". From a gameplay perspective, there never is a period where humans are the only ones on the council.

25. Re: EA/Bioware in Full PR Damage Control Mode Mar 17, 2012, 22:47 Creston

Bhruic wrote on Mar 17, 2012, 18:11:
One of the things that REALLLLLLY pissed me off was seeing that my Human Council from ME2

Actually, no, there never was a Human Council. I thought so too, but with my last playthough, I did that angle with ME1, but then in ME2, when you talk to Anderson, he's pretty clear that "the rest of the Council" is still aliens, not humans. I was kinda disappointed by that.

Creston

24. Re: EA/Bioware in Full PR Damage Control Mode Mar 17, 2012, 20:55 nin

Prez wrote on Mar 17, 2012, 20:44:
That's "The Abyss" for me. Fantastic movie, horrifically, brain-suckingly stupid ending.

Have you seen the director's cut? I don't know if the ending is better, but at least the whole movie makes more sense.

No, I haven't, actually. I only have the theatrical release on DVD; but maybe I ought to try the DC out.

I can't remember exactly, but I thought the DC of Abyss was a bit different, and I like it, years ago.

I believe (according to thedigitalbits) it's due on blu in 2013, along with True Lies (Yes!) and I'll be picking them both up on day one.

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

23. Re: EA/Bioware in Full PR Damage Control Mode Mar 17, 2012, 20:44 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

22. Re: etc. Mar 17, 2012, 19:49 Cabezone

Yeah....the all human council never happened. I think it was originally planned but they took it out...too late to change the voice work. The savegame for ME1 doesn't track the council state other than dead or alive.

The directors cut ending of the Abyss is much better....and is example of why the dumbasses saying they shouldn't change the ending are wrong. In today's modern digital era there no reason not to fix up bad parts of your media. It also allows for a dumbass like Lucas to change shit for the worse, but there's nothing wrong with making changes.

This comment was edited on Mar 17, 2012, 19:55.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

21. Re: EA/Bioware in Full PR Damage Control Mode Mar 17, 2012, 19:14 Leper

20. Re: EA/Bioware in Full PR Damage Control Mode Mar 17, 2012, 18:11 Bhruic

One of the things that REALLLLLLY pissed me off was seeing that my Human Council from ME2

Actually, no, there never was a Human Council. I thought so too, but with my last playthough, I did that angle with ME1, but then in ME2, when you talk to Anderson, he's pretty clear that "the rest of the Council" is still aliens, not humans. I was kinda disappointed by that.

19. Re: EA/Bioware in Full PR Damage Control Mode Mar 17, 2012, 17:34 Prez

I loved the movie Law abiding citizen... till the end. It seriously put me off the entire movie.

That's "The Abyss" for me. Fantastic movie, horrifically, brain-suckingly stupid ending. But overall I still enjoy re-watching "The Abyss" every few years because the rest of the movie is so well done. But GODDAMN, that ending...

I never followed "The Sopranos" past the first season, but I've heard people I know who loved the show hated the final scene with a passion.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

18. Re: EA/Bioware in Full PR Damage Control Mode Mar 17, 2012, 17:23 Creston

One of the things that REALLLLLLY pissed me off was seeing that my Human Council from ME2 had reverted back to a Turian, Asari and Salarian Council again (albeit with different councilors.)

Because it was obviously too hard for the ME3 writers to figure out how to have a completely Human Council say no to Shepard's request to come to the aid of Earth. So what do we do? LET'S JUST RETCON IT.

Creston

17. Re: EA/Bioware in Full PR Damage Control Mode Mar 17, 2012, 17:21 Bhruic

I was planning on playing my Renegade Femshep after that, and then I was going to do another run through 1-2-3, but making the absolutely most callous decisions I could. Reaper Queen? Dead. Wrex? Dead. Council? Dead. Collector Base? Saved. Because I wanted to see what would happen.

Now? I have no desire to do that, whatsoever, because the whole POINT of doing that is to see what changed, and NOTHING WILL FUCKING CHANGE WHATSOEVER. I will still get to choose one of three colored balls which will basically screw the universe over big times. So what's the point? Why would I bother with them?

Yes and no. There are some significant, yet insignificant changes to the way the actual game plays out based on your choices. Just not to the ending. Now, yeah, obviously the ending should have been influenced, but it's nice to see how some of my renegade choices are changing how things play out.

Although it's also a bit annoying at times, because I accidentally did a few nice things that ended up not changing some stuff. Like, even tho' I sent all the baddies on Virmire to the decoy team, I took out the comm tower (accidentally with biotics), and took out the fliers because that was the fastest path. So Kirrahe survived.

Still, it's interesting to see Wrex not trust me (I saved him with the Renegade option), and no Samara to try and save her daughters. Stuff like that is nice to see, and worth another playthrough - at least for me. I just won't bother playing through the ending.

16. Re: EA/Bioware in Full PR Damage Control Mode Mar 17, 2012, 16:49 Creston

nin wrote on Mar 17, 2012, 16:22:
Edit: And the Matrix series, good god. Who loved that 3rd one? Wasn't it detrimental to the other two?

Absolutely. I rewatched the Matrix probably a hundred times when it stood on its own. I watched Reloaded a good few dozen times. I didn't agree with some aspects of it, but it was a good movie, fun to watch, had fun characters, and left you with some good "WTF?" moments for the last one.

And then the last one happened. Neo died, which pretty obviously was going to happen, since he's the Messiah of the Matrix after all... and then they hit a big goddamn reset button and make it so that EVERYTHING that happened before had absolutely no fucking meaning or purpose.

They felt they had to do it, because their MMO wasn't going to work without an actual matrix being around. But it still soured me massively on the whole thing. Though I own Revolutions on DVD, I have watched it twice. I think the only other DVD I've ever bought that I've watched fewer times than that was The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Whenever I rewatch the Matrix, I just watch 1 and 2. I never bother with 3.

While ME3 has enough awesome stuff in it to not make it quite of that level, I intended to quit my second playthrough right after the epic boss fight with Marauder Shields. (NEVER FORGET!)

A shitty ending leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth. An ending that's full of plotholes, isn't true to its own universe (the gates blow up but nothing gets destroyed) and completely ignores everything that's gone before will just sour people on the entire thing to the extent they'd much rather just forget about it.

To give an example, I had replayed ME1 and ME2 just in time for ME3, so I could continue with that Shepard and have all the decisions fresh in my mind. While his decisions mattered during the course of the game, it all got wiped out by the horseshit "Three-Button-Ending."

I was planning on playing my Renegade Femshep after that, and then I was going to do another run through 1-2-3, but making the absolutely most callous decisions I could. Reaper Queen? Dead. Wrex? Dead. Council? Dead. Collector Base? Saved. Because I wanted to see what would happen.

Now? I have no desire to do that, whatsoever, because the whole POINT of doing that is to see what changed, and NOTHING WILL FUCKING CHANGE WHATSOEVER. I will still get to choose one of three colored balls which will basically screw the universe over big times. So what's the point? Why would I bother with them?

I played my Renegade femshep for about five or six hours, then stopped. Haven't touched that playthrough in almost three days now. I'll likely never finish it. What's the point? Everything I do leads to more War Assets, which are FUCKING USELESS IN THE END ANYWAY.

The big question, of course, is whether EAware cares. The old Bioware would have. If they saw that people were no longer replaying their game, they'd probably be upset and sad, and they'd try to do something about it. The new EAware? The arrogant cocksacks who tried to pretend that DA2 being so shitty was a problem in people's thought processes, rather than the fact that it was actually shitty?

I think they're counting their money, release a few carefully spinned pieces of empty PR bullshit (like that message from Casey Hudson. The guy should be a fucking politician. All that was missing was HOPE AND CHANGE at the end.) and will do absolutely nothing except release "during the game" DLC.

In April, they will announce a "Retake Omega alongside Aria T'loak!" DLC, due to be released in May, and they will never again address the ending situation.

And I'm done with their games. Not buying another one. Fuck you, EA.

(I'm still playing ME3 MP, because it's fun. )

Creston

This comment was edited on Mar 17, 2012, 16:57.

15. Re: EA/Bioware in Full PR Damage Control Mode Mar 17, 2012, 16:45 Fantaz

nin wrote on Mar 17, 2012, 16:22:

And the Matrix series, good god. Who loved that 3rd one? Wasn't it detrimental to the other two?

I definitely think Mass Effect series is like The Matrix... first one was the best with RPG/story, and the rest are action romps which are good but not as good.

14. Re: EA/Bioware in Full PR Damage Control Mode Mar 17, 2012, 16:43 necrosis

Prez wrote on Mar 17, 2012, 15:45:
I'm confused - you would skip an otherwise great entertainment experience because it had a lousy ending? (Speaking hypothetically here; having not played ME3 I don't know how great it is or isn't)
I loved the movie Law abiding citizen... till the end. It seriously put me off the entire movie.

ME3 and ME as a whole is like that with me right now. I want to replay ME2 to get a different save then play ME3 again. I wanted to do that even after I got done saying WTF?!? to myself after seeing the ending the first time. But i immediately started up a new game and started playing again. This was on a weekend so yeah...

Monday rolled around and back to work. Had a chance to sit back and look at what happened with the end of ME3. Ever since then I have just not had one iota of desire to touch the game again. It just feels like a loss because I know its going to end with the same bullshit decisions that completely disregard how I played the entire game up to that point.

So yes. Bad endings can destroy hour and hours of enjoyment in a very short period of time.

Imagine of the Sephiroth and Aerith scene was the end of FFVII. Because it was not it became one of the most iconic moments in video game history.

13. Re: EA/Bioware in Full PR Damage Control Mode Mar 17, 2012, 16:40 Bhruic

I dunno...maybe wait until the game is reviewed before buying it rather than blindly trusting the developer to do it right? Did you completely miss the DA2 fiasco?

I didn't, but I don't get the relevance. The rest of the game was quite good. Overall it's an enjoyable experience. If they hadn't pre-purchased, would that have made the ending better?

12. Re: EA/Bioware in Full PR Damage Control Mode Mar 17, 2012, 16:22 nin

I'm confused - you would skip an otherwise great entertainment experience because it had a lousy ending? (Speaking hypothetically here; having not played ME3 I don't know how great it is or isn't)

If it sucked, yeah. I don't want a crap ending. Especially when that crap ending is the ending for a series. I expect better than that.

Would Jedi have been better if they blew up the death star, but all the rebels died in the process?

And only the ewoks lived?

Edit: And the Matrix series, good god. Who loved that 3rd one? Wasn't it detrimental to the other two?

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

11. Re: EA/Bioware in Full PR Damage Control Mode Mar 17, 2012, 16:20 jdreyer

Yeah, I'm all about the journey with most of my games, so I agree with you there. On the other hand, I guess this puts the lie to the statistic that most games never get finished. Sounds like a lot of people played to the end of this one.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

10. Re: EA/Bioware in Full PR Damage Control Mode Mar 17, 2012, 15:45 Prez

- Mahatma Gandhi

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo