Tribes: Ascend Next Month

Hi-Rez Studios announces an April 12th release date for Tribes: Ascend, their upcoming multiplayer first-person shooter remake they are describing as the "world’s fastest shooter. They celebrate the news with a new Llama Island parody trailer: "Tribes is all about speed and movement," explains Todd Harris, Hi-Rez Studios Chief Operating Officer. "In fact the community uses the term llama to refer to a player moving too slowly, like a plodding llama. So this video demonstrates the perils of trying to capture a flag while going too slow. The outcome is predictable but no less tragic."

View : : :
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Tribes: Ascend Next Month
Mar 14, 2012, 22:06
Re: Tribes: Ascend Next Month Mar 14, 2012, 22:06
Mar 14, 2012, 22:06

Flatline wrote on Mar 14, 2012, 19:41:
I've actually shot the ground close enough to have the enemy *inside* the blast cloud take no damage. Lag maybe? Doubtful.

Well it's obviously hacks.

Mar 14, 2012, 19:41
Re: Tribes: Ascend Next Month Mar 14, 2012, 19:41
Mar 14, 2012, 19:41

PHJF wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 18:53:
Not sure of what physics issues are present. Physics in comparison with the original or just wonky physics in general?

Jetpacks are too weak and behave horribly under all circumstances. Having to mash the spacebar repeatedly just to turn is not smart design (yeah I switched MB2 and space, wanna fight about it?). Weapons are a total clusterfuck of varying inheritance. Piloting vehicles is just awkward across the board.

The maps are all shit, too, heavily favoring cappers (temple ruins was better in this regard). Nox is the only map I can't really complain about design wise, except it's too small.

Jetpacks *are* inefficient. Everyone from the old T1 days bitches about how fast they eat fuel and how relatively slowly, even with the energy pack, recharging is.

I miss T1/T2 skiing where you actually jumped as you hit the ground to maintain momentum. This "frictionless" skiing system is a little different and I miss the old systems.

Weapons... I dunno. The blast radius of the disc launcher has been reduced, and the blast radius is... funky. I've actually shot the ground close enough to have the enemy *inside* the blast cloud take no damage. Lag maybe? Doubtful.

And maps are atrocious. First, we need like 10-12 maps. Second, some of the classics need to come back, third, they're too small. Temple Ruins was actually a fun, old-school tribes map that they sadly immediately pulled out of rotation after one patch cycle. Fuckers.

Mar 14, 2012, 19:36
Re: Tribes: Ascend Next Month Mar 14, 2012, 19:36
Mar 14, 2012, 19:36

Shataan wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 16:15:
"N00b. You never skied. "

Aaaah, I chose not to use the skiing exploit. Doesn`t make me a nOOb. And if I played this new Tribes, I doubt I`d use skiing.... cause I still consider it an exploit. But say what ya like.... ya will anyways. ;p

Yup. N00b. Or troll.

Mar 14, 2012, 14:20
Re: Tribes: Ascend Next Month Mar 14, 2012, 14:20
Mar 14, 2012, 14:20

Veterator wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 08:29:
Played this game the past couple days......been in beta for awhile but I can't stand to play arena for very long so I stopped playing for a month or two.

I have two big complaints about this game that are kind of related to each other.

1) Team stacking, you'll know it's happening when it takes like 2 minutes to fill the teams on the next map. Everyone is trying to stack into one side or the other but can't until someone gives up and picks the other team. When it's bad, it COMPLETELY ruins the fun of the game. It will literally end up being like 7 minutes of flag caps, with possible base camping to boot.

2) When the teams are not well rounded (sometimes due to stacking), the whole CTF experience becomes a big mess. If all the flag runners join one side, you have no one to chase them. If no one has forcefields, it's hard to stop them. When people have the extra packs and stuff it gives them advantages you as a non-flag runner player will never match even if you are a decent player. I think this is related to stacking because it tends to be high ranked players who are runners, because flag capping gives stupid amounts of score compared to everything else.

And far below the other two 3) The classes don't seem quite balanced. Raiders have a lot of kick, and when they get mobile jammers they are better than the Sentinel jammers.

Technicians have no good ability to kill heavy classes, and their primary role is defense with their stationary turrets and repair gun (which is crazy slow considering how easy stuff blows up). And when the gen is taken out, your turrets are dead and you lose any advantage you might have had. It's quite infuriating to try to play one, because often the gens are just left dead by others even though the lack of radar, turrets, and forcefields really hampers the ability to defend the base from the run by flag guys.

And I keep reading about how people thing sentinels are really good, but their sniper rifles only does 500 damage when it's fully charged. Friggin juggernaut can kill half your team with one shell...like 1300 damage to each target. If someone plays this class I'd love to hear why it's so good, even the claymores do pretty crap damage...takes 2 or 3 of them to kill a light target usually.

The balance of the classes is OK, even tolerable when teams are pretty even on skillset. But the imbalances become really noticeable when you are doing what should be your classes primary role and someone comes in and eats your lunch for 5 minutes of the match at a time.
About the Technician role. It's quite funny really. People are complaining in the Hi-Rez forums that the Thumper armed Technician is way too powerful. I know I know, in pubs it's frustrating because some people do not play certain roles. But you really need someone on generator defense/repair role. It makes the defenders job a lot easier when they can put defensive flag turrets and the base turrets and forcefields to make the job of flag chasing easier. When I see that our generator is constantly down I switch roles and defend the generator in pubs.

Mar 14, 2012, 13:23
Re: Tribes: Ascend Next Month Mar 14, 2012, 13:23
Mar 14, 2012, 13:23

I'm not a fan of stacking. It's a lot more fun when it's competitive than one sided. HiRez needs to implement a random team feature. I want randomness to place me on a team if so choose to, so I'm looking for a Random button instead of picking from Blood Eagle or Diamond Sword.

Mar 14, 2012, 02:55
Re: Tribes: Ascend Next Month Mar 14, 2012, 02:55
Mar 14, 2012, 02:55

Weekend wasn't bad. But the week with it's lower populations is just rampant stacking, can only get in a round or two until a server is stacked to one side.

Hell I just go AFK at the beginning of a match for a minute or so and see if the teams are decided yet, because it can take a LONG time for the teams to stack up....then I decide if Im going to play. Just look at how the teams divide, if you see a couple gold players on one side, good luck.

Mar 14, 2012, 01:34
Re: Tribes: Ascend Next Month Mar 14, 2012, 01:34
Mar 14, 2012, 01:34

I agree that they're going to have to address team stacking at some point. It probably won't happen until after they've pretty well finalized most of the class/weapon stats, but it does need to happen. Other games have managed it, and while it might be tougher given the diversity of classes and their roles, even a straight balance based on points or rank or something would be better than nothing.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

Mar 13, 2012, 08:29
Re: Tribes: Ascend Next Month Mar 13, 2012, 08:29
Mar 13, 2012, 08:29

Played this game the past couple days......been in beta for awhile but I can't stand to play arena for very long so I stopped playing for a month or two.

I have two big complaints about this game that are kind of related to each other.

1) Team stacking, you'll know it's happening when it takes like 2 minutes to fill the teams on the next map. Everyone is trying to stack into one side or the other but can't until someone gives up and picks the other team. When it's bad, it COMPLETELY ruins the fun of the game. It will literally end up being like 7 minutes of flag caps, with possible base camping to boot.

2) When the teams are not well rounded (sometimes due to stacking), the whole CTF experience becomes a big mess. If all the flag runners join one side, you have no one to chase them. If no one has forcefields, it's hard to stop them. When people have the extra packs and stuff it gives them advantages you as a non-flag runner player will never match even if you are a decent player. I think this is related to stacking because it tends to be high ranked players who are runners, because flag capping gives stupid amounts of score compared to everything else.

And far below the other two 3) The classes don't seem quite balanced. Raiders have a lot of kick, and when they get mobile jammers they are better than the Sentinel jammers.

Technicians have no good ability to kill heavy classes, and their primary role is defense with their stationary turrets and repair gun (which is crazy slow considering how easy stuff blows up). And when the gen is taken out, your turrets are dead and you lose any advantage you might have had. It's quite infuriating to try to play one, because often the gens are just left dead by others even though the lack of radar, turrets, and forcefields really hampers the ability to defend the base from the run by flag guys.

And I keep reading about how people thing sentinels are really good, but their sniper rifles only does 500 damage when it's fully charged. Friggin juggernaut can kill half your team with one shell...like 1300 damage to each target. If someone plays this class I'd love to hear why it's so good, even the claymores do pretty crap damage...takes 2 or 3 of them to kill a light target usually.

The balance of the classes is OK, even tolerable when teams are pretty even on skillset. But the imbalances become really noticeable when you are doing what should be your classes primary role and someone comes in and eats your lunch for 5 minutes of the match at a time.

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 2012, 08:35.

Mar 12, 2012, 01:37
Re: Tribes: Ascend Next Month Mar 12, 2012, 01:37
Mar 12, 2012, 01:37

Ant wrote on Mar 11, 2012, 14:15:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Mar 11, 2012, 13:47:
Ant wrote on Mar 11, 2012, 10:14:
When does the beta end?
Haven't seen anything about it ending. Since it's a F2P game, they'll probably just drop the "beta" label at some point.
Oh, I didn't know it was F2P. I guess I won't bother with its beta and wait for it to be released with its F2P.
Well, it's quite playable and fun right now, so don't let the beta label hold you back. Only thing it really needs is some more maps, which I'm sure will be coming along in time. I'm sure they'll continue to tweak things for a while too, but I've been having a blast learning the game. I was never a big Tribes player before, so I'm having to learn a lot of skills now.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

Mar 11, 2012, 14:15
Ant

Re: Tribes: Ascend Next Month Mar 11, 2012, 14:15
Mar 11, 2012, 14:15
 Ant

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Mar 11, 2012, 13:47:
When does the beta end?
Haven't seen anything about it ending. Since it's a F2P game, they'll probably just drop the "beta" label at some point.
Oh, I didn't know it was F2P. I guess I won't bother with its beta and wait for it to be released with its F2P.

Mar 11, 2012, 13:47
Re: Tribes: Ascend Next Month Mar 11, 2012, 13:47
Mar 11, 2012, 13:47

When does the beta end?

Mar 11, 2012, 10:14
Ant

Re: Tribes: Ascend Next Month Mar 11, 2012, 10:14
Mar 11, 2012, 10:14
 Ant

When does the beta end?

Mar 10, 2012, 01:49
Re: Tribes: Ascend Next Month Mar 10, 2012, 01:49
Mar 10, 2012, 01:49

Shataan wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 16:15:
"N00b. You never skied. "
Aaaah, I chose not to use the skiing exploit. Doesn`t make me a nOOb. And if I played this new Tribes, I doubt I`d use skiing.... cause I still consider it an exploit. But say what ya like.... ya will anyways. ;p

I have to assume you didn't play Tribes for very long because if you refused to ski, you would have been utterly destroyed. Skiing did begin as an exploit, yes, but it quickly became the defining mechanic of the game. That's what made T1 so amazing. It's probably the pinnacle of emergent gameplay. Almost every tactic and strategy that players eventually came up with was never intended by the developers. Skiing, mine-discing, disc-jumping, grenade-jumping, mortar-jumping, bodyblocking, midair flag passing, using scouts to gain momentum, using skiing for heavy offense, using beacons to stop your forward movement or propel you straight up, using enemy missiles to gain momentum... the flexibility of the game's systems allowed for a depth that you don't see in shooters anymore.

Tribes: Ascend places a lot of arbitrary limitations on players, which greatly reduces the potential depth of the game. Class-specific loadouts, boundaries around the mission area, minimal vertical lift on the jetpack, negligible boost from disc-jumping from a standstill, small maps... the game is still fun but it's not going to ever match up to T1 unless they give players more freedom.

I always liked Katabatic and it's nice to see it make a return, but ya more maps, and especially vehicle-centric maps, are needed.

Eh, to each their own. I'd prefer that they remove vehicles completely, as they are never balanced. In T1, vehicles were easy to destroy and you could kill the pilot without harming the vehicle. That's the best option IMO. In T2, vehicles had tons of shields and firepower, making them impossible to take out unless you had a missile launcher or your entire team was focused on taking one out. In T:V, vehicles were just annoying. In T:A, vehicles are about as obnoxious as they were in T2.

Mar 9, 2012, 23:40
Re: Tribes: Ascend Next Month Mar 9, 2012, 23:40
Mar 9, 2012, 23:40

Thanks for all the tips and info guys. I think they've changed the packs you can buy now though. Looks more like this now:

$9.99 - 800 Gold + VIP
$19.99 - 1800 Gold + VIP
$29.99 - 3000 Gold + VIP + 30 Day Boost
$49.99 - 5500 Gold + VIP + 60 Day Boost

I'm going to go ahead and buy in now anyway. Just debating whether I want to spring for the XP boost or not.

Mar 9, 2012, 22:23
Re: Tribes: Ascend Next Month Mar 9, 2012, 22:23
Mar 9, 2012, 22:23

If you like the game, putting down $8 on the cheapest booster gives you at 10-day booster and for-life VIP status (only if you do it during the beta). I bit the bullet and did it; I've had enough fun out of the game for the devs to get something. It's the only F2P purchase I've ever made.

Mar 9, 2012, 20:43
PHJF

Re: Tribes: Ascend Next Month Mar 9, 2012, 20:43
Mar 9, 2012, 20:43
 PHJF

XP isn't THAT slow unless you are aiming for one of the 100K unlocks.

Remember these unlocks are the only means the game has of making money. Only a few of the unlocks are indispensable, anyways, so it's wise to use your XP on perks and a couple classes of which you are particularly fond.

And performance is negligible; most XP comes simply from time played.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Mar 9, 2012, 20:20
Re: Tribes: Ascend Next Month Mar 9, 2012, 20:20
Mar 9, 2012, 20:20

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 19:52:
Is there some trick to earning EXP faster? I'm only getting about 600-900 per match.

Your first win of the day will give you 1200 xp at the end of the match. Other than that the only ways to increase xp gain is by getting VIP status, which is a flat 50% xp increase across the board (currently all you have to do is spend any amount of money at the store and you instantly get VIP status), or buying boosts.

Mar 9, 2012, 20:18
Re: Tribes: Ascend Next Month Mar 9, 2012, 20:18
Mar 9, 2012, 20:18

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 19:52:
Is there some trick to earning EXP faster? I'm only getting about 600-900 per match.

XP depends on length of the match, performance (just a little bit), and if you win or lose (500 extra if you win). If you like the game and don't mind spending money, it's a good idea to go VIP. That is, make your first purchase (think the cheapest is an $8 booster that lasts for 10 days). Once you make your first purchase, you're permanently VIP, which is an automatic 50% XP boost, AND it stacks with the other boost. So for 10 days, instead of getting 1000XP for a match, you'd get 3000XP. The boosts also work on the new badge system (the extra XP unlocks for doing certain things), and you tend to get a lot of those when you first start playing.

Normal/VIP/VIP+Boost

500/750/1500

1000/1500/3000

2000/3000/6000

3000/4500/9000

EDIT: Not sure if I was clear, but the VIP bonus lasts forever (after the 10 days).

And try to find one class you really enjoy, and work on unlocking things in that class. Once you have everything you want in a fun class, just play and have fun, and the XP will roll in gradually.

This comment was edited on Mar 9, 2012, 20:27.

Mar 9, 2012, 19:52
Re: Tribes: Ascend Next Month Mar 9, 2012, 19:52
Mar 9, 2012, 19:52

Mar 9, 2012, 19:41
Re: Tribes: Ascend Next Month Mar 9, 2012, 19:41
Mar 9, 2012, 19:41

Lots of fun and takes me back, but ya, still needs some work as some have pointed out.

The maps aren't very vehicle-centric. The original Tribes had a number of maps with bases in mid-air and really the only way to get there if you weren't a light was by vehicle. Nothing beats the feeling of coming in with a fully loaded APC and raping a base. I have not experienced this in TA.

I always liked Katabatic and it's nice to see it make a return, but ya more maps, and especially vehicle-centric maps, are needed.

For the most part latency is good, but I do get terrible lag spikes at times. I think some of the weapons need tweaking too, for example the technician's SMG; way too wimpy to be even a basic self-defence weapon.

I'm wondering what the max player count will be. I haven't seen any matches with greater than 36 people. It'd be nice to have 64 players on larger maps.
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older