Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans

A Community Q&A for Star Wars: The Old Republic offers answers to fan-submitted questions about the force-powered MMORPG. This offers details on the game's next major patch, outlining plans for new animations, space port changes, new LFG functionality, and also touches on the possibility of providing more ship customization features at some point further down the road. Thanks VG247.
View : : :
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  ] Newer

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans
Feb 26, 2012, 10:48
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans Feb 26, 2012, 10:48
Feb 26, 2012, 10:48

This is one of the reasons I'm holding out on this game. I know it's great & has gotten some stellar reviews & word of mouth. However I'd rather wait for a more complete experience, at least a few months to allow it to mature, etc. Maybe in June Ill jump on board?

Feb 26, 2012, 10:52
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans Feb 26, 2012, 10:52
Feb 26, 2012, 10:52

sure its great if you want to pay someone for playing a single player console game with a glorified chat.
The Whales name is Bob.

Feb 26, 2012, 11:32
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans Feb 26, 2012, 11:32
Feb 26, 2012, 11:32

Hellbinder wrote on Feb 26, 2012, 10:52:
sure its great if you want to pay someone for playing a single player console game with a glorified chat.
That's sadly how the game pans out. There is plenty of fun stuff to do, but I got bored of it after about 2 weeks and that was it.
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Feb 26, 2012, 11:33
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans Feb 26, 2012, 11:33
Feb 26, 2012, 11:33

Hellbinder wrote on Feb 26, 2012, 10:52:

From your description of the game, WoW would be a consolized game, and apparently you have no friends since it's a single player game to you.

Not saying the game is the greatest in the world. But your description is way off base.
-C22

Feb 26, 2012, 11:35
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans Feb 26, 2012, 11:35
Feb 26, 2012, 11:35

WTB PVE content - NOW! I'm halfway through all the currently available raid content and my character is geared in a lot of the best gear in the game.

I really can't be bothered to level a 3rd 50 and am getting pretty bored - the content which is there is really pretty simple.

Feb 26, 2012, 11:36
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans Feb 26, 2012, 11:36
Feb 26, 2012, 11:36

I've been playing this for a month now. Honestly, it's simply something to do until either D3 or GW2 comes out. My take: It really blows if you are on a light population server. No pvp pops, no world pvp, hard to find groups. No word on server mergers or character transfers at all. It's not really that fun leveling up characters. Why? You run, run, run everywhere. You seem to spend 50% of your time running to get something, and 50% actually doing anything. Even when you get your mounts it is tedious. The maps are designed to make you run the furthest distance possible. Every door you go through...you are faced with a wall that you have to run around. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Feb 26, 2012, 11:40
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans Feb 26, 2012, 11:40
Feb 26, 2012, 11:40

I haven't logged in in a few days now and suffered from a certain degree of burn out. All my friends who started with me on day one slowly dropped out in the weeks ahead which forced me to join another guild to simply not be bored to tears with no one else to talk with. I squeaked out two 50s and a 45 which brought me to Legacy Level 22 but, for now, my attention is elsewhere.

Even so, it still provided good bang for my buck since I likely poured a couple hundred hours in to it and the potential is there to spend many more once they iron out the end game content and such.

It'll be a tough sell though after Guild Wars 2 comes out as well as Diablo 3 but they've been hard at work with another four or five content updates in the pipe so I won't count them out.

Feb 26, 2012, 11:52
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans Feb 26, 2012, 11:52
Feb 26, 2012, 11:52

Saboth wrote on Feb 26, 2012, 11:36:
No word on server mergers or character transfers at all.

You seriously think EA or Bioware would announce server merges after only 2 months?

That would scream FAIL... so that's the last thing they'll do.

As for their current retention woes... even though we haven't seen numbers yet, and the first month had good retention (from the numbers they did announce)... it seems like people are dropping like flies in month 2... mainly because people have run out of content. Also, with full voiced-over content.... it's probably difficult to add any reasonable amount of content, in a timely manner. So they are probably in deep doo-doo now, after spending anywhere from 150m to 300m making this game. (depending what ass the numbers got pulled from)

Anyway, they made their bed... now they have to lie in it.
Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

Feb 26, 2012, 12:00
Tom
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans Feb 26, 2012, 12:00
Feb 26, 2012, 12:00
Tom

Yep, ran out of stuff to do in this game... it just doesn't have legs. Can't wait to see the #'s on this over time.

I wish they had made a single player game instead. Would've made for higher quality story and gameplay, more focus, less busy work / timewasting. This game just loves to waste your time. Anything to keep you playing. Well, it's not going to work.

To hell with MMOs!

Feb 26, 2012, 12:19
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans Feb 26, 2012, 12:19
Feb 26, 2012, 12:19

Is there no end-game content? No end dungeons, raids, large group quests and/or tedious grinding quests to continue the story?

Feb 26, 2012, 12:25
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans Feb 26, 2012, 12:25
Feb 26, 2012, 12:25

Pigeon wrote on Feb 26, 2012, 12:19:
Is there no end-game content? No end dungeons, raids, large group quests and/or tedious grinding quests to continue the story?

There's hard modes of all the previous dungeons and two raids both with 5 bosses and 3 difficulties. You can walk straight from levelling into the normal level raids even in greens and do fine - we're doing hard mode atm so not sure how hard nightmare is.

And as other people have said server populations are pretty woeful a lot of the time. I stopped playing my first 50 because his server pop was always low (think 30 people max in fleet even at peak times). The new server is better but still feels like a ghost town most of the time.

Feb 26, 2012, 13:03
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans Feb 26, 2012, 13:03
Feb 26, 2012, 13:03

Techie714 © wrote on Feb 26, 2012, 10:48:
This is one of the reasons I'm holding out on this game. I know it's great & has gotten some stellar reviews & word of mouth. However I'd rather wait for a more complete experience, at least a few months to allow it to mature, etc. Maybe in June Ill jump on board?

Well, you'll be the only one playing because everyone else be in GW2.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Feb 26, 2012, 13:06
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans Feb 26, 2012, 13:06
Feb 26, 2012, 13:06

Pigeon wrote on Feb 26, 2012, 12:19:

It's got dungeons, raids and some really dull dailies, but for a game that's so solo friendly and KotoR 3+ branded there's nothing else to do. Mainstream MMOs now tend to have a playerbase that, in majority, doesn't regularly PvP, doesn't raid and doesn't give a shit about hard content. So TOR's PvP, raid or harder versions of dungeons you've already done comes across as a lack of content despite having reasonable amounts to do for people who do like those activities.

I've not played for a month, as it got a bit like replaying a singleplayer game immediately after you've finished it, but I'll go back for a while later in the year to try out the updates. Need roll only on items you can use will make pugging Flashpoints much better all by itself.

Feb 26, 2012, 14:22
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans Feb 26, 2012, 14:22
Feb 26, 2012, 14:22

Ill tell u what 2 months after DAOC came out I barely knew what the game was about.....2 months after this game out and all I do is log on each day do 2 PVP quests and IMMMMMMMMMMMMMEDIATLY log out...

Feb 26, 2012, 14:44
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans Feb 26, 2012, 14:44
Feb 26, 2012, 14:44

The game was fun for me at first, but the veneer wore off very quickly. The leveling experience is great, though what they don't tell you is that the "fully" voiced over quests still contain canned responses, and are nothing more than glorified, "Deliver X/Kill X number of Y/Collect X for me," quests.

I had played with my original WoW guild, and most of us hit 50 in the first 2-3 weeks of launch. Level 50 was entirely made up of doing dailies, and attempting to run dungeons that were so buggy that half the time we couldn't complete them, and if we did complete them getting loot was a crapshoot. PvP was dull and boring, Crew Skills (except for Biochem) were rendered entirely useless as soon as you started doing warzones, hard mode flashpoints and operations. The flashpoints and operations were extremely easy, and virtually no difference between normal/hard/nightmare mode other than the bosses had more hp and did more damage. I rationalized paying for one month by convincing myself that they would fix everything, that every MMO has issues at launch, etc. My guild finished hard modes within the first 6 weeks of launch, including the new bosses added in the first content patch. I stopped logging in after 7 weeks.

All in all, the game was a nice distraction, but it doesn't have legs. I know Ohlen has come out and said that it was not their intent to revolutionize the MMO genre, but only to build a solid MMO game. It has turned out to do neither, it is merely a single player game with an end-game that acts as an homage to MMOs. To quote Cutter, "F2P in 6 months."

Feb 26, 2012, 15:06
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans Feb 26, 2012, 15:06
Feb 26, 2012, 15:06

I also already hit burn out with this game.

Here is the problem (with MMO's in general). Beyond the setting, and story, there are no new ideas. Nothing brought to the table at all. You have WoW-style skill trees, you have dailies, warfronts (battleground), 4 man instances, and raids. It's all so cookie cutter. It's like MMO Paint by Numbers, these days.

Remember when MMO's used to actually come up with their own concepts? Now it's just 'copy the WoW formula and be done with it.'.

The one thing Swtor has that is original are the space shooter missions, but even those are uninspired. Here we have an MMO set in space, and the only space combat at all are just single player 'on-rails' shooting galleries. Where is the vision?

Oh and don't get me started on their customer support. It is non-existent. They outsourced all their support to a company in India, and most of the time when you actually get a response to a support ticket, it's in broken English, and has nothing to do with what your issue was. Their support staff has clearly never played the game, or possibly any games.

Feb 26, 2012, 15:12
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans Feb 26, 2012, 15:12
Feb 26, 2012, 15:12

The game lasted me about three weeks, (not counting early access), which has got to be a new record. I mean I even played WAR for longer then that lol.

I mean I'm happy some are still really enjoying it. My guild basically fell apart within a few weeks as we went from 40+ people pre-release all ready to go to about 10 about a week after early access. I left soon after that, not even waiting for my free month to run out.

Sadly it's simply more of the same thing only placed in an extremely linear box where choice counts for nothing and the entire game can be summed up with one word. Average.

I'm thinking of going back to Rift to wait until GW2 comes out, hopefully around may-june. All we know right now is NCSoft doesn't want to do a late year release and Anet is waiting for the beta weekends in march and april to pan out before they decide whats next.

Feb 26, 2012, 15:19
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans Feb 26, 2012, 15:19
Feb 26, 2012, 15:19

Stellar reviews yeah - by companies too shit scared to piss of EA. Everywhere ive seen word of mouth, on forums for instance and even on the official friggin forum, that word has mostly been 'unsubbed'. This is a turd of an MMO, all the cash went into the voice acting, but whats the point when youre on rails? they could be speaking mud and it wouldnt make the damnedest bit of difference. Play a Republic murdering git across the universe, attend jedi council meetings! So much for feeling a disturbance in the force. No LFG, no addons, INSTANCED!!! Seriously, an MMO where youre instanced, wtf??? No matter what they do, they cant fix the crap theyve done to the HERO engine, so the very engine of the game is screwed.

I reckon the SW franchise is cursed. How else could you take a successful single player game, spend $150 million on it and turn it into a tedious single player game masking as an MMO? im playing TERA now, at least its differentish.

Feb 26, 2012, 15:32
Tom
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans Feb 26, 2012, 15:32
Feb 26, 2012, 15:32
Tom

$150M? I heard they spent $500M...

Feb 26, 2012, 15:44
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans Feb 26, 2012, 15:44
Feb 26, 2012, 15:44

Tom wrote on Feb 26, 2012, 15:32:
$150M? I heard they spent $500M...

/ROFL

Not sure where that number came from. I've heard $150m (low) to 300m (high)... 500m is way high, and the first time I've heard that.

In any case... no one really knows. I do think it is safe to say they spent more than 100m, though.
Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  ] Newer