The Secret World Delayed

Funcom announces a new June 19th, 2012 launch date for The Secret World, their conspiracy-themed MMOG most recently planned for release in April. "Allowing for even more time to polish the game really shows just how much faith Funcom as a company has in 'The Secret World' and how committed we are to making it the best it can be," says Funcom's Ragnar Tørnquist. "The additional time will also allow us to carry out even more quality beta testing, and soon we will also be announcing several public beta events where hundreds of thousands of gamers will get to test the game prior to launch." Here's the meat of the announcement:
Feedback from hands-on press events and beta testing has proven very positive, and Funcom intends to spend the additional development time focusing on polish and tweaking to maximize the potential of the game. The beta feedback so far is showing very positive reactions to core game features such as the role-playing systems, combat, missions, dungeons, story and immersion. Among the beta testers surveyed, almost 9 out of 10 say they will play the game at launch.

More than 750,000 gamers are now registered as beta testers, which is significantly higher than Funcom’s previous MMO ‘Age of Conan’ had at the same point in development. Funcom expects the number of beta registrations to grow significantly in the coming months, as the company ramps up its major PR and marketing initiatives towards launch.

View : : :
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: The Secret World Delayed
Feb 22, 2012, 03:32
Re: The Secret World Delayed Feb 22, 2012, 03:32
Feb 22, 2012, 03:32

Not interested in a game where "every conspiracy theory ever is TRUE".

They're pitching themselves up against the Illuminatus! Trilogy there, which is a masterpiece of mindfucking. Even then I doubt it'll live up to it's own boasting.

Fnord.

Feb 21, 2012, 22:29
Re: The Secret World Delayed Feb 21, 2012, 22:29
Feb 21, 2012, 22:29

After the scam they did with AoC and the way they treated ppl on forums and "support" and continuous lies, I will NEVER buy another Funcom product ever. I still remember that after my guild finished all content (yeah extremely buggy raids)in less than 3 months and we knew abt all there was, when I posted on the forums to help FC to ask for that complete idiot Gaute Godager to be fired they banned me from forums for 6 months !
Even that they did fire that moron after abt 1 month they still didnt wanna give me back access even that my post was decent...
I wish Funcom FAST Bankruptcy ! (same for the damn idiots Bioware for SWTOR rip off )

Feb 21, 2012, 22:15
Re: The Secret World Delayed Feb 21, 2012, 22:15
Feb 21, 2012, 22:15

They say 750k people are registered as beta testers. However they don't specify how many beta testers they actually have. If they have a thousand and are gathering information like how many of them will purchase, those thousand people better expect that if they say no they won't be invited back. Since they could reasonable track and respond to 1k testers. If they had 100k testers and 9/10 still liked it, then I'd be impressed assuming all responded and were counted.

Funcom has a dismal history of poor MMO launches and buggy first year releases. Anarchy Online too a LONG time to recover from it's launch, and it hurt it in unmeasurable ways with all the poor reviews and such for the years to follow. AO was actually a really interesting game, but even in it's polished state it had a lot of really f-in annoying aspects they should have addressed in more timely manners. Hecklers and all things associated with them, people doing PVP ganks etc, FARRRR mission doors where it was simpler to just roll until you got a close mission than actually go there....etc.

Age of Conan, was basically a lie cloaked in Tortage. After Tortage it was a different game. You try it and see Tortage and buy it to get the rest of the miserable experience that was AoC. Have people one shot kill you and your buddies, have them sit on their horses and kick you off ledges, spend stupid amounts of time just wandering around boooorrrrriinnnngggg landscapes. I mean people got more joy out of Tortage than any other point in the game, and spent time griefing it when possible because that's where the MAJORITY of the players were.

I held very little expectations for Secret World, they've been really light on the information about this game...even though I get an email every so often telling me pretty much the same thing it told me the time before. Trying to keep it in mind, with no additional information they are willing to part with. The game better blow people away is all I can say.

Feb 21, 2012, 20:37
Re: The Secret World Delayed Feb 21, 2012, 20:37
Feb 21, 2012, 20:37

Hellbinder wrote on Feb 21, 2012, 15:15:
sempai you are an idiot.

you didnt read or pay attention to the news blurb. You have obviously not read any articles regarding the game. Further none of the games Funcom has released have been a "steaming pile of shit". so why would this one be? Both their single player and multiplayer games are quality products and many are very memorable and enjoyable.

Shill detected. Someone just implied AO was playable at release. Or that Age of conan wasn't a buggy mess that had next to no content after tortage.

Ill go as far as to say I would bet 1k+ that this will be a buggy unfinished mess at release. Pretty safe since that's all funcom does and let the fanboys pay for the retail beta.

Feb 21, 2012, 20:02
Re: The Secret World Delayed Feb 21, 2012, 20:02
Feb 21, 2012, 20:02

How isn't it a positive thing? It's better than getting a buggy, unfinished game.

Well, only two things wrong there. First, the delay is no guaruntee we won't get a buggy, unfinished game. And the second, you're buying into their marketing speak. Yes, releasing the game in an buggy, unfinished state would be bad. But the whole reason for the delay is that it's not ready for release when it was supposed to be. Sure, predicting a release date isn't an exact science, but the fact you predicted wrongly isn't a good thing.

Feb 21, 2012, 19:11
Re: The Secret World Delayed Feb 21, 2012, 19:11
Feb 21, 2012, 19:11

sempai you are an idiot.

you didnt read or pay attention to the news blurb. You have obviously not read any articles regarding the game. Further none of the games Funcom has released have been a "steaming pile of shit". so why would this one be? Both their single player and multiplayer games are quality products and many are very memorable and enjoyable.

Funcom doesnt need to learn anything. Most of their games are awesome and last for years. I still play AO and have 2 paid accounts and its still the most fun i have online.

even Age of Conan is a different, original game that a lot of people still play even if it had some problems. it doesnt make it a "steaming pile of shit" either.

I dont even need to bet 20$ to tell that you are a clueless moron with an ahole so big you have to talk out of it instead of your mouth. May you are the one who needs to learn not to run your mouth off without engaging your brain.

(yes some of the idiotic posters at this site are flipping irritating)

Aww..does someone need a tissue?

I think it's safe to say Funcom has quite the reputation that no one but Funcom is responsible for. But you're still their #1 fan! Hang in there kiddo!

Feb 21, 2012, 18:30
Re: The Secret World Delayed Feb 21, 2012, 18:30
Feb 21, 2012, 18:30

A two-month delay is meaningless, especially for a MMORG that has been years in development. Of course, if it has even a single bug on release, the peanut gallery will be screaming from the hilltops about how the greedy bastards rushed it out the door.

Feb 21, 2012, 18:29
Re: The Secret World Delayed Feb 21, 2012, 18:29
Feb 21, 2012, 18:29

Bhruic wrote on Feb 21, 2012, 16:43:
You've gotta give people credit for trying to spin game delays as positive things.

How isn't it a positive thing? It's better than getting a buggy, unfinished game. Waiting doesn't suck half as much as getting something crappy because it wasn't done when you bought it.

Feb 21, 2012, 17:31
Re: The Secret World Delayed Feb 21, 2012, 17:31
Feb 21, 2012, 17:31

Bhruic wrote on Feb 21, 2012, 16:43:
You've gotta give people credit for trying to spin game delays as positive things. "We were unable to meet our deadline, but that's going to be awesome for you, the consumer, because lots of the beta testers, people who had to put effort into getting access to the game, are currently claiming on a survey - where they don't actually have to put down any money - that they intend to play the game at launch!"

And not to mention the only people that get early access to these early betas are the rabid fanboys anyway. The devs could shit in a bowl and they'd still call it ice cream.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Feb 21, 2012, 16:43
Re: The Secret World Delayed Feb 21, 2012, 16:43
Feb 21, 2012, 16:43

You've gotta give people credit for trying to spin game delays as positive things. "We were unable to meet our deadline, but that's going to be awesome for you, the consumer, because lots of the beta testers, people who had to put effort into getting access to the game, are currently claiming on a survey - where they don't actually have to put down any money - that they intend to play the game at launch!"

Feb 21, 2012, 16:35
Re: The Secret World Delayed Feb 21, 2012, 16:35
Feb 21, 2012, 16:35

I may give it a try as I like the idea and I like funcom. Its unfortunate that signing up for beta isn't very straightforward.

Feb 21, 2012, 16:06
Re: The Secret World Delayed Feb 21, 2012, 16:06
Feb 21, 2012, 16:06

I've been really looking forward to this game a lot, but it doesn't really come as any surprise that it's delayed. I'm actually surprised it isn't delayed a bit further considering the lack of press it's had coming so close to a release date.

Feb 21, 2012, 15:46
Re: The Secret World Delayed Feb 21, 2012, 15:46
Feb 21, 2012, 15:46

9 out of 10 testers say they will buy the game... how can you say this game is going to fail? 90% of the people playing it plan on kicking out 60.00 then 15.00 a month to play it and its 4 months away from being ready. Hate all you want no matter what they do someones gonna be bitching about it.
Personally I think Funcom is a decent company that has worked on games that could of been huge if some things were done differently. The Secret World sounds pretty damn cool and different.

Feb 21, 2012, 15:33
Re: The Secret World Delayed Feb 21, 2012, 15:33
Feb 21, 2012, 15:33

Funcom doesnt need to learn anything. Most of their games are awesome and last for years. I still play AO and have 2 paid accounts and its still the most fun i have online.

I agree with you for the most part, but Funcom does actually have a lot to learn. On release, AO was "fun" but not for the reasons that a game company wants to be remembered. It was "fun" to make fun of a laugh at all the crazy bugs and random shit you could do in their poorly designed combat system and mission system.

Want to kill a healer NPC? Too bad! At level 10 they cast level 200 heals!
Who is the CEO of the company you are about to assassinate? A roller-rat! They make great CEOs. Especially when you put the company HQ in a cave in the middle of the desert.
Does it take you too long to swing your sledgehammer? No problem. Just switch to another sledgehammer in your inventory that isn't cooling down.
I can rename mobs that I have mind controlled and they keep their names after I release them? Excellent. I completely won't abuse to troll people or make horribly racist/sexist/idiotic mob names.

Now, admittedly a lot of the bugs in AO were fixed after enough patches (except the roller-rat one which is comedy), but the fact that some of their bugs got through QA and made the game unplayable shows that Funcom had a lot to learn.

I never did play AoC, but from what I hear its launch went a hell of a lot better than AO, but lacked balance and content. Funcom still has stuff to learn. Their products are not released anywhere near as polished as they should be or can expect to feel proud of in my honest opinion. Not to say they don't work to improve it and don't try hard, but I would never say they have nothing to learn.

Feb 21, 2012, 15:32
Re: The Secret World Delayed Feb 21, 2012, 15:32
Feb 21, 2012, 15:32

So, if they're pushing this back 3 months then it really needs at least another 6-12 months actual polish. So yes, this will be AoC all over again. You'd think Funcom would have learned by now. This will most likely be their last failure. Such potential wasted.

"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Feb 21, 2012, 15:21
Re: The Secret World Delayed Feb 21, 2012, 15:21
Feb 21, 2012, 15:21

Saw this coming. Every single had an initial release date of march or april and then was pushed back to june. Every one of them.

Feb 21, 2012, 15:15
Re: The Secret World Delayed Feb 21, 2012, 15:15
Feb 21, 2012, 15:15

sempai you are an idiot.

even Age of Conan is a different, original game that a lot of people still play even if it had some problems. it doesnt make it a "steaming pile of shit" either.

I dont even need to bet 20$ to tell that you are a clueless moron with an ahole so big you have to talk out of it instead of your mouth. May you are the one who needs to learn not to run your mouth off without engaging your brain.

(yes some of the idiotic posters at this site are flipping irritating)

The Whales name is Bob.

Feb 21, 2012, 15:09
Re: The Secret World Delayed Feb 21, 2012, 15:09
Feb 21, 2012, 15:09

Sempai wrote on Feb 21, 2012, 14:39:
Are they even beta testing this? Will Funcom ever learn?
$20 bucks says this game will be a giant steaming pile of shit when released.

How many $20 bucks and how can you ensure that each buck is worth $20?

Feb 21, 2012, 14:39
Re: The Secret World Delayed Feb 21, 2012, 14:39
Feb 21, 2012, 14:39

Are they even beta testing this? Will Funcom ever learn?
$20 bucks says this game will be a giant steaming pile of shit when released.

Feb 21, 2012, 14:38
Jivaro

Re: The Secret World Delayed Feb 21, 2012, 14:38
Feb 21, 2012, 14:38
 Jivaro

shocking.
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older