Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Safety Dance

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 17, 2012, 09:33 eRe4s3r

Working to hide your browser footprint increases the uniqueness of said footprint.. making it easier to track you, and not harder.

I assume you are not aware of this fact so let me help you --> https://panopticlick.eff.org/

Have fun with that site For most people (particularly on Opera, Firefox and Chrome) this ones an eye opener.

Also my browser appears to be unique simply because i am on the latest beta of firefox 11 sucks ;=P

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 17, 2012, 09:02 Verno

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 07:07:
Your privacy is already violated each day by tracking cookies anyway

Or, these stupid-ass like buttons that link directly to facebook and whose image is on a facebook server, that means viewing it gives facebook full access information about what you are reading and when

Privacy is a very relative term, physical real-id privacy is pretty easy by just staying away from these sites, but actual IP based privacy is near impossible. And before you say IP's are not unique, theres ways to profile a browser so neatly that you can ID a browser footprint and link it to IP's. Which allows profile building even with dynamic ip

Firefox is the worst offender for profiling because it openly communicates what addons/plugins are active and which font is used etc. (Much more than that is visible to a website that knows how to check for it)

All of those things are easily disabled and/or turned off in both the options and about:config. Browsing privately is accomplished easily enough, it's just a question of whether most people want to bother with the initial setup required and ongoing things like not using password cookies and etc.

Playing: Renovate My Kitchen
Watching: MI Fallout, Deadpool 2, House

4. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 17, 2012, 08:24 Beamer

What makes people think it's just online?

"Target assigns every customer a Guest ID number, tied to their credit card, name, or email address that becomes a bucket that stores a history of everything they’ve bought and any demographic information Target has collected from them or bought from other sources. "

Cash fixes this, but who wants to carry around cash?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 17, 2012, 07:07 eRe4s3r

Your privacy is already violated each day by tracking cookies anyway

Or, these stupid-ass like buttons that link directly to facebook and whose image is on a facebook server, that means viewing it gives facebook full access information about what you are reading and when

Privacy is a very relative term, physical real-id privacy is pretty easy by just staying away from these sites, but actual IP based privacy is near impossible. And before you say IP's are not unique, theres ways to profile a browser so neatly that you can ID a browser footprint and link it to IP's. Which allows profile building even with dynamic ip

Firefox is the worst offender for profiling because it openly communicates what addons/plugins are active and which font is used etc. (Much more than that is visible to a website that knows how to check for it)

2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 17, 2012, 05:51 Prez

I agree with most everything the article points out. The only reason I'd rather not have my name and address sold to every Tom, Dick, and Harry on the internet is so I don't get spammed by virus-laden emails and truckloads of useless flyers in snail mail.

Basically, if you want total internet privacy, stay off the internet, and don't touch social networking sites with a 10 foot ethernet cable.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 17, 2012, 04:19 mag

I care. I remember all of those outrages. I stopped using most of the offending services. So, y'know. Bite me Matt Rosoff, Industry Shill.  

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo