Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit

The Bethesda Blog announces the release of the promised Creation Kit for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, providing modification support for their RPG sequel. They also announce Steam now features a Skyrim High Resolution Texture Pack as free DLC, confirming indications that such a graphics upgrade was the "surprise" recently hinted at by Bethesda. Here's a tutorial video introducing the creation kit, and here's word:

Modders rejoice! We’re pleased to announce that the Skyrim Creation Kit is now available!

With the Creation Kit’s release, fans can now upload, download, and install custom content through the Skyrim Workshop on Steam. Get a crash course by reading level designer Joel Burgess’ blog post, and be sure to read up on our list of best practices for modding. Need more help? Don’t forget to to check out the official Wiki at www.CreationKit.com. In the coming days and weeks, we’ll be sharing tutorial videos for beginners and experts alike. Check out the first tutorial above, and visit the Bethesda Game Studios YouTube Channel for more.

In addition to releasing the Creation Kit and Skyrim Workshop, today we’re allowing players to experience Skyrim as you’ve never seen it before with the Skyrim High-Resolution Texture Pack. Before downloading it from Steam, make sure your system requirements exceed Skyrim’s recommended specs before attempting to install, including Windows Vista/7, a minimum of 4GB of system RAM, and a DirectX 9.0c compatible NVIDIA or AMD ATI video card with at least 1 GB of RAM and the latest drivers.

View
129 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

49. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 18:09 Wowbagger_TIP

justice7 wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 16:24:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 15:56:
Ugh. There's no such thing as a FPS/TPS game where console controller is better. Thumb knobbies are horrible compared to mouse/kb precision. It's fine if that's what you like, but they certainly aren't better in any objective sense.

Yes, they are. The fact that you do not have variable movement speed with a keyboard is the pure limitation of its class of control. The difference here, is that the mouse has more accurate control of direction on an X,Y scale.

Since you cannot press 1/3 of WASD, it leaves something to be desired for a "perfect" control scheme.
Why would that be any kind of benefit in a FPS/TPS game? Even if it did convey a benefit, it certainly wouldn't outweigh the ridiculous loss of accuracy. That's been well-established when pitting console players against PC players.

justice7 wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 16:24:
I'm as much of a PC Gamer as the next guy, quite adept with FPS gaming with the mouse, however the controller allows me to kick back on the big screen, surround sound and recliner; with PC graphics to boot. It's been said several times even here in Blues comments that the UI was made for a console. Well, the PC works as the best console on the planet.
UI made for console just means it is annoying and takes too long to get to anything, not that it actually works better with a controller. It's just designed with the limitations of a controller in mind.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 18:06 Reactor

The stock GTX260 only has just under 900mb of ram, so I'd love to know if it can handle it at all.  

47. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 18:02 Slashman

Will SOMEONE say something about performance after the pack???

I'm still deciding if its worth the download with my system specs:

Q8400 Core 2 Quad

Geforce GTX260(Overclocked)

4 Gigs RAM

Anyone with comparable specs running it OK?

Edit: Thanks Creston...I'll wait to hear from you.

46. Re: Skyrim Feb 7, 2012, 18:00 Creston

nin wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 17:20:

Is there going to be a new option in the menus to enable this or are all resolutions receiving better textures? Also wonder what sort of hit on performance this will have. Either way, I'm stoked.

I'd be curious of there's a way to toggle it in the options (with a restart, I'd guess). I'm assuming my card can handle it, but I'd hate to download both the game and the pack, only to have to try and revert back to the original textures (and hopefully not have to redownload anything)...

I'm downloading right now, so I'll let you know when it's done. If I had to guess, the HD textures will be an .esp or .esm that you can just select in the launcher.

Creston

45. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 17:54 Creston

Fion wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 17:50:
HD texture pack seems to only change some textures. Gear, clothing, weapons, etc look fantastic now. But most surface textures are only very slightly changed, with a few exceptions like rocks, stone walls, etc. Over all I think I'll still use graphics mods, but most likely only for non-character textures.

It would have been a huge surprise to see EVERY texture changed, to be honest. That would also have made the pack 20 Gigs large.

Most HD packs tend to focus on certain areas they improve. Nothing's stopping you from using additional HD packs from Nexus.

Creston

44. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 17:50 Fion

HD texture pack seems to only change some textures. Gear, clothing, weapons, etc look fantastic now. But most surface textures are only very slightly changed, with a few exceptions like rocks, stone walls, etc. Over all I think I'll still use graphics mods, but most likely only for non-character textures.  

43. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 17:49 Creston

Fuck Yeahhhhh.

Creston

42. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 17:47 Shok

Optional nickname wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 17:40:
I'm waiting for the Bethesda Elder Scrolls Super Millenium pack to appear on GOG.com for 9.99 in 2020. By then, with Fiber Optic Internet, the data will be in the pipe, waiting inline for the god damn hard drive to finish spinning it's platters (oh god I hope mechanical HDD manufacturers die a cluster knocking death by then)

Yeah, but you'll have to run it in an emulator on your smartphone so just buy it now.

41. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 17:40 Optional nickname

I'm waiting for the Bethesda Elder Scrolls Super Millenium pack to appear on GOG.com for 9.99 in 2020. By then, with Fiber Optic Internet, the data will be in the pipe, waiting inline for the god damn hard drive to finish spinning it's platters (oh god I hope mechanical HDD manufacturers die a cluster knocking death by then)  

40. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 17:35 ^Drag0n^

Techie714 © wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 15:44:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 14:46:
Suck it consoles. Suck it long, suck it hard.

LOL Nice!

LMAO.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

39. Re: Skyrim Feb 7, 2012, 17:20 nin

Is there going to be a new option in the menus to enable this or are all resolutions receiving better textures? Also wonder what sort of hit on performance this will have. Either way, I'm stoked.

I'd be curious of there's a way to toggle it in the options (with a restart, I'd guess). I'm assuming my card can handle it, but I'd hate to download both the game and the pack, only to have to try and revert back to the original textures (and hopefully not have to redownload anything)...

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

38. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 17:18 dardin

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 17:01:
Maybe it's just me, but mouse input seems to be outright bugged on menus. Even in the latest version I would constantly have to position the cursor just so to get it to actually select a dialog/menu choice. It would select the wrong thing so many times (but not until I actually clicked to select it) that I threw my hands up and switched to my 360 pad just to avoid the problem.

Can't say the experience is very hurt by it, either. Unlike you, however, the jumbo TV my PC is hooked in to is right in front of my bed, so I'd say my experience might be slightly better (or perhaps just lazier) than yours.

Really, everyone can keep up with their attitudes about how much of a sin it is for a PC gamer to use a controller even when appropriate as much as they want. I'd rather figure out what works better for each game individually adjust my position between chair or bed accordingly.

I have to agree the problems with the mouse on menus is quite annoying at times. I had really hoped to see a fix in the most recent patch. Though it's not enough of a problem for me to sacrifice the precision of a keyboard/mouse for the rest of the game. My hands also cannot take the fatigue and soreness a controller causes, especially for a game like Skyrim which I plan to get 100+ hours from.

37. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 17:10 Slashman

Hmmm...currently running Windows 7 64-bit, Core 2 Quad Q8400, GTX 260(overclocked), 4 GB RAM...I'm thinking I should be able to handle this pack. Anyone know for sure?

Any ideas? Not much that I don't run at max settings these days.

Been lazy in upgrading. Was planning to wait til later in the year.

36. Re: Skyrim Feb 7, 2012, 17:01 Elessar

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

35. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 17:01 Dr. D. Schreber

Maybe it's just me, but mouse input seems to be outright bugged on menus. Even in the latest version I would constantly have to position the cursor just so to get it to actually select a dialog/menu choice. It would select the wrong thing so many times (but not until I actually clicked to select it) that I threw my hands up and switched to my 360 pad just to avoid the problem.

Can't say the experience is very hurt by it, either. Unlike you, however, the jumbo TV my PC is hooked in to is right in front of my bed, so I'd say my experience might be slightly better (or perhaps just lazier) than yours.

Really, everyone can keep up with their attitudes about how much of a sin it is for a PC gamer to use a controller even when appropriate as much as they want. I'd rather figure out what works better for each game individually adjust my position between chair or bed accordingly.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

34. Skyrim Feb 7, 2012, 16:57 Comet

Skyrim is so worth the money. Thanks for all the support Bethsoft.  

33. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 16:36 Shok

With this $40 sale I have a feeling Skyrim will be back at the top of the Steam charts again this week  

32. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 16:25 Fion

Pulling 1.2 so yea, servers are slammed indeed. My normal on steam is 3.5  

31. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 16:25 Armengar

just buy a long HDMI lead and a long USB extension, thats what I did.  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

30. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 16:24 justice7

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 15:56:
Ugh. There's no such thing as a FPS/TPS game where console controller is better. Thumb knobbies are horrible compared to mouse/kb precision. It's fine if that's what you like, but they certainly aren't better in any objective sense.

Yes, they are. The fact that you do not have variable movement speed with a keyboard is the pure limitation of its class of control. The difference here, is that the mouse has more accurate control of direction on an X,Y scale.

Since you cannot press 1/3 of WASD, it leaves something to be desired for a "perfect" control scheme.

I'm as much of a PC Gamer as the next guy, quite adept with FPS gaming with the mouse, however the controller allows me to kick back on the big screen, surround sound and recliner; with PC graphics to boot. It's been said several times even here in Blues comments that the UI was made for a console. Well, the PC works as the best console on the planet.

129 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo