Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit

The Bethesda Blog announces the release of the promised Creation Kit for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, providing modification support for their RPG sequel. They also announce Steam now features a Skyrim High Resolution Texture Pack as free DLC, confirming indications that such a graphics upgrade was the "surprise" recently hinted at by Bethesda. Here's a tutorial video introducing the creation kit, and here's word:

Modders rejoice! We’re pleased to announce that the Skyrim Creation Kit is now available!

With the Creation Kit’s release, fans can now upload, download, and install custom content through the Skyrim Workshop on Steam. Get a crash course by reading level designer Joel Burgess’ blog post, and be sure to read up on our list of best practices for modding. Need more help? Don’t forget to to check out the official Wiki at www.CreationKit.com. In the coming days and weeks, we’ll be sharing tutorial videos for beginners and experts alike. Check out the first tutorial above, and visit the Bethesda Game Studios YouTube Channel for more.

In addition to releasing the Creation Kit and Skyrim Workshop, today we’re allowing players to experience Skyrim as you’ve never seen it before with the Skyrim High-Resolution Texture Pack. Before downloading it from Steam, make sure your system requirements exceed Skyrim’s recommended specs before attempting to install, including Windows Vista/7, a minimum of 4GB of system RAM, and a DirectX 9.0c compatible NVIDIA or AMD ATI video card with at least 1 GB of RAM and the latest drivers.

View
129 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

109. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 8, 2012, 15:52 ^Drag0n^

Plasmas still running cheaper, in general?  

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

108. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 8, 2012, 15:22 Verno

I guess it depends on your priorities. If you want a super slim TV and whatnot then go with an LCD. If picture quality is the biggest concern then plasma is totally the way to go, even the best LEDs can't produce black levels like a middle priced plasma SKU can. Plasmas are pretty incredible for gaming and sports as well I've found. I have a Panasonic and we love it, we got a very well priced 50" ST30 which is last years model. There are a lot of old myths about burn-in and whatnot but for the most part they aren't a concern these days unless you leave ESPN running 24/7 for years.

On the flipside we have a Samsung LCD/LED, I do like its thin bezel and the connectivity features are decent. It doesn't put out much heat and uses about half as much power as our Panasonic which saves about $2 a month.

Playing: Renovate My Kitchen
Watching: MI Fallout, Deadpool 2, House

107. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 8, 2012, 15:19 Beamer

^Drag0n^ wrote on Feb 8, 2012, 15:16:
Verno wrote on Feb 8, 2012, 14:33:
Hey agreed bro, that's one of the reasons my big ass TV is a plasma I had a FW900 for a looong time but it finally started going yellow and kicked the bucket 3-4 years ago. Once I got over the initial shock I found IPS LCDs to be a worthy replacement in most considerations.

Agreed.

On the TV side, I'm torn...did you notice recently that you can get a 60" Sharp Aquos Quattro for under a grand now at Worst Best Buy?

Daaaayum.

^D^

You get what you pay for. Especially with Sharp.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

106. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 8, 2012, 15:16 ^Drag0n^

Verno wrote on Feb 8, 2012, 14:33:
Hey agreed bro, that's one of the reasons my big ass TV is a plasma I had a FW900 for a looong time but it finally started going yellow and kicked the bucket 3-4 years ago. Once I got over the initial shock I found IPS LCDs to be a worthy replacement in most considerations.

Agreed.

On the TV side, I'm torn...did you notice recently that you can get a 60" Sharp Aquos Quattro for under a grand now at Worst Best Buy?

Daaaayum.

^D^

105. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 8, 2012, 14:33 Verno

104. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 8, 2012, 14:23 ^Drag0n^

I agree with you, mostly, Verno, but the bang for the buck, coupled with refresh rates and tearing, were an initial turnoff. I think what killed CRTs was the demand for larger screens overriding early concerns over image quality/refresh rates.

That said, even on modern plat panels, "black ain't BLACK." ;-)

Oh, and that Sony FW-900 was one badass widescreen monitor; I had one at work, and cried when it was replaced by the flat panel. It was a back-breaker and a space hog for sure, but damn, what an image. Dot pitch was ridiculous. Even by today's standards. I don't even know if anyone other than Sony even MADE a widescreen CRT.

^D^

103. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 8, 2012, 12:51 Verno

Jerykk wrote on Feb 8, 2012, 12:36:
LCD isn't a step back. It was when it first came out but not anymore. If you need color accuracy and high refresh there are LCD screens for that. You just have to buy the right type (and those don't come cheap).

The problem with LCDs is that you have to choose between image quality or performance. IPS displays have good color reproduction and contrast but bad input lag. 120 Hz monitors have little to no noticeable input lag and allow you to turn off V-sync without worrying about tearing, but their colors and contrast aren't that great. CRTs offered the best of everything. You also didn't get significantly degraded quality when running at anything other than the highest resolution.

Really, the only downside to CRTs is their size and weight.

Energy consumption and heat output as well. Modern IPS LCDs have made great strides with input lag anyway. I agree that CRTs were fantastic displays but the world has moved on and while early LCDs had glaring downsides I don't really find that to be the case anymore - provided you purchase a quality IPS. There was a 120hz IPS monitor but I forget who makes it.

102. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 8, 2012, 12:36 Jerykk

LCD isn't a step back. It was when it first came out but not anymore. If you need color accuracy and high refresh there are LCD screens for that. You just have to buy the right type (and those don't come cheap).

The problem with LCDs is that you have to choose between image quality or performance. IPS displays have good color reproduction and contrast but bad input lag. 120 Hz monitors have little to no noticeable input lag and allow you to turn off V-sync without worrying about tearing, but their colors and contrast aren't that great. CRTs offered the best of everything. You also didn't get significantly degraded quality when running at anything other than the highest resolution.

Really, the only downside to CRTs is their size and weight.

101. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 8, 2012, 12:20 Creston

Verno wrote on Feb 8, 2012, 09:15:
The presentation is better than the Nexus and it doesn't come with the weird and selective staff from over there. I've always found their site clunky and their navigation ignores several browsing standards which makes it cumbersome at times.

Well, right now their presentation does not include a "Search" feature. So...

Creston

100. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 8, 2012, 10:27 space captain

ForgedReality wrote on Feb 8, 2012, 00:20:
Yep. Haven't noticed anything different.

its quite possible you are incapable of noticing anything different

Go forth, and kill!

99. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 8, 2012, 09:15 Verno

The presentation is better than the Nexus and it doesn't come with the weird and selective staff from over there. I've always found their site clunky and their navigation ignores several browsing standards which makes it cumbersome at times.  

98. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 8, 2012, 08:34 theyarecomingforyou

Creston wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 23:40:
As for Steam workshop being "the future of modding" ... it's basically a direct copy of the Nexus sites. The only thing it does better than Nexus is auto-updating. (which I will admit is a seriously cool feature.)
The problem with traditional mods is that they don't auto-update, they aren't automatically installed on different computers, the modding websites aren't always easy to find or always trustworthy and the pages are usually long and inaccessible (Nexus Mods especially). Steam Workshop is simple to use, has easily accessible preview videos / images, puts comments and ratings upfront, auto-manages updates and new installs, etc.

I don't want to see traditional modding die off, nor do I want to see Valve or the developer have so much control that they can shut down mods that they don't like at a whim. But I do think the Steam Workshop is a good way to bring modding to the masses, in a format that is even suitable for consoles (when Steam hopefully expands).

8700K @ 4.9GHz / Kraken X62 / 32GB DDR4
GTX 1080 Ti OC / Optane 900P

97. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 8, 2012, 08:02 theyarecomingforyou

ForgedReality wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 23:25:
Bothy 720 and 1080 are pretty fucking low res. I don't know how anybody handles it. :\
You need two 7970s to even contemplate gaming at 1440p/1600p with high detail and you'll still be let down by titles that aren't well optimised for multi-GPUs or that are ported badly; 1080p/1200p is the best compromise for PC gaming.

I look forward to 1600p OLED 120Hz displays and GPUs beefy enough to power them. Unfortunately it costs £4000 for a 24.5" OLED, so they're not there yet.

8700K @ 4.9GHz / Kraken X62 / 32GB DDR4
GTX 1080 Ti OC / Optane 900P

96. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 8, 2012, 07:47 nin

I play on a 24" widescreen CRT (Sony FW-900) at 2304x1440

And you're clearly in the minority. And your eyes checked, it sounds like.

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

95. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 8, 2012, 07:31 Silicon Avatar

ForgedReality wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 23:57:
nin wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 23:33:

19x10 is low rez?

Yes. LCD technology is a step backward from the days when we could go much, much higher, with way better color accuracy and higher refresh rates. I play on a 24" widescreen CRT (Sony FW-900) at 2304x1440 and I don't have to enable stupid vsync.

All that and a free aneurysm if you ever have to move it.

94. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 8, 2012, 07:08 Dades

ForgedReality wrote on Feb 8, 2012, 00:20:
Yep. Haven't noticed anything different.

Prescription glasses are the only thing that will help you then.

93. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 8, 2012, 01:09 ^Drag0n^

Prez wrote on Feb 8, 2012, 00:29:
Also, SkyUI. If people aren't using it then they are letting down humanity.

Well I detest humanity and would love to "let it down", but I also want a better UI. What should I do???

Use SkyUI, and name your character, "Hater Menneskeheten. "

^D^

92. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 8, 2012, 00:57 Wowbagger_TIP

Dammit. I just wish I could download the hi-rez pack and try it out! Unfortunately my PSU blew up last week (electrical flash/cloud of smoke/the works) and my replacement won't get delivered until Monday Bigcry

Of course then I just have to hope it didn't fry anything else in my system...

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

91. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 8, 2012, 00:53 Creston

Kastagir wrote on Feb 8, 2012, 00:41:
Not all the textures were "uncompressed." Some were left out, some were broken. To see a detailed list of what got upgraded and what got broken by Bethesda's packaging errors, take a look at this thread.

Short version: texture artists are not out of a job, but they have a new baseline to work from.

Really the only thing that "broke" is the fire normal map. The other errors they made just means you don't actually get the high res version of that texture displayed.

They'll fix it pretty soon, I'm sure. (sadly, because of the way they did it, that means we'll either have to redownload 3 Gigs of files, or they have to create another esp to fix the bug...)

Creston

90. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 8, 2012, 00:41 Kastagir

Not all the textures were "uncompressed." Some were left out, some were broken. To see a detailed list of what got upgraded and what got broken by Bethesda's packaging errors, take a look at this thread.

Short version: texture artists are not out of a job, but they have a new baseline to work from.

129 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo