The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up

The Star Wars: The Old Republic Website has an update on the PvP problems that were just patched out of the Star Wars MMORPG (thanks nin). Though some players abused the problems that followed the version 1.1 patch, they say they will not be implementing a rollback, but they repeat a warning they will be taking actions in cases they feel the situation was exploited "to an unreasonable degree." Here' part:
The amount of Valor granted from these activities was significantly more than intended and we are now carefully investigating players who were on Ilum during this period, and present at some of these 'camping' events. I can reassure you that those who were involved and who gained an unfair advantage over other players inappropriately will be carefully reviewed and action will be taken to restore game balance. This could include Valor adjustments or account actions in accordance with the severity of the issue.

We have made the decision not to enact a mass 'rollback' of Valor points for all players in the game, or even on Ilum. This would unfairly penalize some players who may not have been present during this event. Rest assured though, anyone and everyone who is found to have exploited the situation to an unreasonable degree will be investigated and actions taken as needed. Our in-game metrics are able to give us precise details on where players were, what they were doing and what rewards they gained.

We take any sort of situation where one group of players gains an unexpected or unintended advantage over other players very seriously and will act to ensure that all players can have a fair and fun game experience.
View : : :
72 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up
Jan 21, 2012, 12:00
Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 21, 2012, 12:00
Jan 21, 2012, 12:00

We can all agree that most of the money went on advertising, voiceovers and licenses for SW content, and not on the actual game design, right?

Jan 21, 2012, 11:58
Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 21, 2012, 11:58
Jan 21, 2012, 11:58

Doombringer wrote on Jan 20, 2012, 23:37:
Creston wrote on Jan 20, 2012, 23:18:
and again Bioware punishes people for playing their broken game in a way that's allowed by the system. Creston

Because this is the first time this has ever happened in any MMO, ever, and Bioware is the first developer to punish players for "creative use of game mechanics" ...

RIGHT. If I had a dollar for any time a developer had to rollback or take action against a player, guild or raid group for cheesing a loot system, Honor system, or in general using a bug to their advantage... I'd be a rich man.

Don't make Bioware out to be some huge badguy here. This happens very often, in many MMOs. Just recently, Blizzard took action against raids who cheesed the LFR loot system, exploiting it, in patch 4.3... a patch that was on PTR for weeks upon weeks.

Fair enough, but have the other MMOs ever BANNED players for it? Not for cheating, but for playing a clearly broken mechanic?

I have no problem with them rolling back the ill-gotten gains, but why are people being banned for playing the game?

Creston

Jan 21, 2012, 11:39
Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 21, 2012, 11:39
Jan 21, 2012, 11:39

Granz wrote on Jan 21, 2012, 11:32:
I stopped reading at "I don't even play it". That really is code for "who cares what you say".

Wow, another one butt hurt from general internet observations.

So I can't have an opinion since I don't play the game, huh?

Well.. your opinion is just as ignore-able, since this is a gaming community where we discuss things, and you post count shows that you aren't truly part of it, yet, Mr. Suspect Rank.
Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

Jan 21, 2012, 11:32
Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 21, 2012, 11:32
Jan 21, 2012, 11:32

I stopped reading at "I don't even play it". That really is code for "who cares what you say".

wtf_man wrote on Jan 21, 2012, 11:27:
I never said the game was bad. As for the "exaggeration", I guess that's the impression I've been getting in various forums regarding their downtime.

That said, you seem awfully butt hurt over some observations that have been taken from internet chatter and soem news announcements.

None of it is scientific... but again, things don't look all that good for the the game (economically), regardless of whether you enjoy it or not.

/shrug

EDIT: And no I don't play it... lack of interest in Star Wars for the most part... nothing personal against the developers. (Well maybe a little against the publisher. )

Jan 21, 2012, 11:27
Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 21, 2012, 11:27
Jan 21, 2012, 11:27

I never said the game was bad. As for the "exaggeration", I guess that's the impression I've been getting in various forums regarding their downtime.

That said, you seem awfully butt hurt over some observations that have been taken from internet chatter and soem news announcements.

None of it is scientific... but again, things don't look all that good for the the game (economically), regardless of whether you enjoy it or not.

/shrug

EDIT: And no I don't play it... lack of interest in Star Wars for the most part... nothing personal against the developers. (Well maybe a little against the publisher. )

Jan 21, 2012, 11:26
Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 21, 2012, 11:26

wtf_man wrote on Jan 21, 2012, 10:53:
and because of full voice overs...

This is really starting to tell me whoever is talking has either not played the game - or they haven't played enough attention.

My character get's through the vast majority of quests using the same stock phrases even though the dialogue text reads different - for example:

TEXT: The droid army didn't stand a chance
V/O: "I didn't even break a sweat"

This happens on the vast majority of trees. Yes the game is fully voiced over but it's done to need the fewest lines possible from the character classes. In terms of adding flashpoints etc you need a droid to beep (flashpoints are nearly always delivered by a droid) and maybe two or three actors to provide the intro and mid mission lines.

Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 21, 2012, 11:26

Looks to me like this game will flop. Rumor isthat they have spent anywhere from 300-500 million making this game... (I said rumor)... and EA's shares have dropped already because the sales have been short of expectations.

That's odd. I just noticed an article linked on Reddit regarding this:

Joystick.com

Says the budget was 200 million and the stock has bounced back a bit on reports of total subscribers?

Will be interesting to watch things going forward. I like the game. My account go deactivated today though...so there is that...apparently my paypal billing information didn't go through...which is odd...because I used a 60 day time card so it shouln't have been trying to bill me at all...but even if it did the info was good so it should have gone through...

The 800 customer service line is a pretty big joke so far. I'll save that for another post....you do not want to call them if you don't have to...

Jan 21, 2012, 11:19
Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 21, 2012, 11:19
Jan 21, 2012, 11:19

Looks to me like this game will flop. Rumor isthat they have spent anywhere from 300-500 million making this game... (I said rumor)... and EA's shares have dropped already because the sales have been short of expectations.

Combine that with people that are not subscribing after the first month... at least 30% according to the polls I've seen on different gaming sites, which normally isn't bad for an MMO, but would be bad for an MMO that cost an immense amount and already had underperformed in sales. Of course those polls aren't scientific... but it does give somewhat of an indication.

Then you have people reaching level cap within a week, and the majority of their player-base the upper levels within the first 3 weeks, and because of full voice overs...there's a real challenge to add enough content in a timely manner.

Finally add the major gripes of a crappy UI, the servers constantly being taken down, the broken quests, the typical launch bugs, and the failed patching that causes "emergency patches"... in an over-saturated market that has plenty of competition.

Yeah... that's not pretty. And while it may not flop as fast as say Warhammer Online did... it will probably flop harder due to the development costs.

Over exaggerate much? Servers constantly down? They do one patch a week with the exception of a hot fix here and there. The servers aren't constantly down. The rest are typical MMO launch woes.

While I don't agree with Bioware "investigating" their player base for poor design, when all they needed were more turrets at faction bases/turrets that do AOE damage. Or the ways they've conducted themselves on negative forum topics, locking threads, warning/banning people.

Some are making a mountain out of a mole hill out of this, either due to their hate of EA, or their hate for any competing MMO that isn't the one they're currently playing/interested in.

The game isn't that bad. I'm enjoying it at least.

Jan 21, 2012, 10:53
Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 21, 2012, 10:53
Jan 21, 2012, 10:53

Combine that with people that are not subscribing after the first month... at least 30% according to the polls I've seen on different gaming sites, which normally isn't bad for an MMO, but would be bad for an MMO that cost an immense amount and already had underperformed in sales. Of course those polls aren't scientific... but it does give somewhat of an indication.

Then you have people reaching level cap within a week, and the majority of their player-base the upper levels within the first 3 weeks, and because of full voice overs...there's a real challenge to add enough content in a timely manner.

Finally add the major gripes of a crappy UI, the servers constantly being taken down, the broken quests, the typical launch bugs, and the failed patching that causes "emergency patches"... in an over-saturated market that has plenty of competition.

Yeah... that's not pretty. And while it may not flop as fast as say Warhammer Online did... it will probably flop harder due to the development costs.

Jan 21, 2012, 09:51
Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 21, 2012, 09:51
Jan 21, 2012, 09:51

Fibrocyte wrote on Jan 21, 2012, 09:39:
space captain wrote on Jan 21, 2012, 09:05:
Illumin wrote on Jan 21, 2012, 00:15:
If its not about making a good product then why do millions of people play them?

you must be a huge justin beiber fan

Young kids like Justin Beiber, bozo.

He still has a point. Popularity is meaningless in gauging quality. Talking about MMO's always brings out the gaming hipsters who like to boast of the superiority of their personal taste over that of the sheeplike masses, though. Fact is, there are good MMO devs and bad ones, and if one sees them all as bad then maybe they just aren't made for you.

Jan 21, 2012, 09:39
Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 21, 2012, 09:39
Jan 21, 2012, 09:39

space captain wrote on Jan 21, 2012, 09:05:
If its not about making a good product then why do millions of people play them?

Young kids like Justin Beiber, bozo.

Jan 21, 2012, 09:05
Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 21, 2012, 09:05
Jan 21, 2012, 09:05

Jan 21, 2012, 08:42
Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 21, 2012, 08:42
Jan 21, 2012, 08:42

s1mon75 wrote on Jan 21, 2012, 07:00:
So people who were playing the game, within the rules of the game, will be penalised for the lack of forsight by the patch creators / developers?

Glad I cancelled my account.

Now if you'd just cancel your life this world would be a smarter place.

Jan 21, 2012, 07:41
Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 21, 2012, 07:41
Jan 21, 2012, 07:41

So people who were playing the game, within the rules of the game, will be penalised for the lack of forsight by the patch creators / developers?

If what those people were doing doesn't SCREAM exploit to you, then I'm glad you cancelled your account too. One less retard looking to abuse game mechanics to ruin other peoples' experiences.

I'll bet you're a hypocrite too and were one of the people screaming for bans over people that used exploits in CoD or Battlefield.

Jan 21, 2012, 07:21
Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 21, 2012, 07:21
Jan 21, 2012, 07:21

It's called an exploit. It happens all the time in multiplayer games. Ruining the game for others just because you can and then getting called on it doesn't make you a victim, regardless of how crappy the patch was.

Jan 21, 2012, 07:00
Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 21, 2012, 07:00
Jan 21, 2012, 07:00

Jan 21, 2012, 06:18
Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 21, 2012, 06:18
Jan 21, 2012, 06:18

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 20, 2012, 23:57:
Alas, no. MMOs are not, in general, and never have been about making a good product. They're always cash grabs that see the "developer" riding it down to the bitter end, shutting down the studio and then opening up under a new name for yet another MMO cash grab. Lather, rinse and repeat.

You don't see many single player games that the same people are still enjoying ten years later. Quality and innovation have stagnated in MMO's over the past half decade or so, but we're not close to the point where you can make a blanket statement like that yet. For a developer like, say, Cryptic, and probably the vast majority of Asian grindfests? Yes, you're right. For others, not so much.

Jan 21, 2012, 05:35
Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 21, 2012, 05:35
Jan 21, 2012, 05:35

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 21, 2012, 00:55:

Ask Zynga. How many people still play "game"-ville, Mafia Wars and crap like that?

Popularity does not equate to quality. The Pinto, for example, was at one time wildly popular.

Yes, a business is run to make a profit. However, even in business there is a notion called "ethics". Bill Roper made a profit with Flagship Studios. Is what he did with Hellgate London and its customers ethical in terms of good will, good faith, long term profitability and brand trust?

Yikes... you keep digging your hole deeper.

Jan 21, 2012, 03:41
Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 21, 2012, 03:41
Jan 21, 2012, 03:41

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 20, 2012, 23:57:
The one thing I'll give CCP is that they are one of the few honest MMO purveyors. They largely don't give a fuck what you do in Eve so long as the cash keeps rolling in.

CCP? Honest MMO? BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You're forgetting about how they'd play favorites in the end PvP content and ensure certain factions would win?

Or when CCP would help hook up certain friends who played the game with high-end schematics so that they could corner the market?

Or the other shenanigans that CCP has repeatedly enagaged in that would be morally dubious in any other business endeavor?

Jan 21, 2012, 02:45
Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 21, 2012, 02:45
Jan 21, 2012, 02:45

If millions of people like Mafia wars then yes it is good for those millions of people thats a fact. Millions of people listen to rap music too, personally i hate it but that dosn't make it shit for the millions that love it. Its all taste / opinion if millions of sheep, er people want to part with their hard earned money on games they consider to be fun/ good quality so be it.
72 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older