Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming

The Bethesda Blog has word on the version 1.3 update for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim that's now available on Steam. They also announce they will be rolling out a patch next week for the Windows PC edition of the RPG sequel to support Large Address Aware configurations. Here's word on what the new patch does:

• General stability improvements
  • Optimize performance for Core 2 Duo CPUs (PC)
  • Fixed Radiant Story incorrectly filling certain roles
  • Fixed magic resistances not calculating properly
  • Fixed issue with placing books on bookshelves inside player purchased homes
  • Fixed dragon animation issues with saving and loading
  • Fixed Y-look input to scale correctly with framerate
View
106 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

26. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 7, 2011, 23:22 Acleacius

Dirwulf wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 20:44:
1.3 screwed up my game even more. ,,,,, I had NO quests in the fort. LAME!! I'm crashing about every 10 minutes now. As far as I'm concerned this game is unplayable.
My guess is your using texture mods and in particular texture mods that are doubling (or more) the texture. Then they fill in between with color, instead of redrawing the texture. What this does is BLOAT your VRAM, which causes crashing.

The quickest way to prove this is Quicksave often, then once you get to a spot that keeps crashing, exit the game. Then move your Whole Texture file somewhere and reload the last game, proceed to the crash spot and I bet 90% chance it won't crash.

This is a notorious issue with modding and Gamebro, it happened to me recently. Even though I was very careful to make sure the ONLY texture mods I get were Real Redrawn Textures but one got by me. One of the first mods I grabbed was Enhanced Horse Skins. I wasn't paying attention or was just so happy as it was one of the first mods released.

Besides the Large Address Aware, the only other mod you should need in regards to performance is this AntiFREEZE performance patch 9 ENBSeries. It's a little hard to follow since he keeps changing the name, but it's always ENB and his name Boris Vorontsov. He's the one who has been adding DX10 to older games with only DX9 for couple of years, as an example Bloodlines.

The most important thing, eliminate ALL texture mods that are NOT fully redrawn and use Boris's DX9 fixes. These two things will eliminate 90%+ crashing. Just make sure you READ Boris's readme, as you have to manually add in the HEX code for your Video card manufacturer and model. Also read what he says about your Video Drivers, it take 10 minutes or less.

Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs,
you would not hear of that party again in our political history.....and they are stupid. Dwight D. Eisenhower
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 7, 2011, 23:19 Jerykk

I'm wondering if my excessive amount of saves has had any impact. I've been playing for over 90 hours and have over 1500 saves. Apparently the PS3 version gets severe performance issues after you've created a lot of saves so it's possible the PC version has the same, only you need to make more saves before it becomes obvious.  

24. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 7, 2011, 23:13 Fletch

Jerykk wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 22:42:
Maybe it's just an issue of what type of CPU you have, rather than just clock speed. I have a Core 2 Quad and the game runs like ass in the cities. The patch says it optimizes performance for Core 2 Duos, which is basically the same as a Core 2 Quad (minus 2 cores), so hopefully that will improve things.

Core 2 Duo here, oc'd to 2.8ghz, with an absolutely ancient Abit AW9D-Max, 4GB ram, 5870 (1 GB) at 1920x1200, Xonar D2X, and Win7 32-bit. I haven't had any appreciable slowdown (admittedly, subjective) in cities, although I've had a few crashes. I can play a few hours before it CTDs (when it crashes; usually it doesn't), but no other real issues. I can't stand choppy video when gaming, but this game is surprisingly smooth for me.

You may have a bottleneck somewhere other than your CPU.

23. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 7, 2011, 23:11 LittleMe

Maybe it's just an issue of what type of CPU you have, rather than just clock speed. I have a Core 2 Quad and the game runs like ass in the cities. The patch says it optimizes performance for Core 2 Duos, which is basically the same as a Core 2 Quad (minus 2 cores), so hopefully that will improve things.

Yeah maybe so! I'm on a Core 2 quad and performance in cities is rather bad, but just playable. Unsure why. Out in the wilderness I get great performance. I'm overclocked to 3.6. 8GB of RAM with an ATI 5870.

I am using a modified .ini to enhance grass draw distance and ugrids are at 10. These settings should alter wilderness graphics much more than the cities.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

22. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 7, 2011, 23:07 JTW

~130 hours with a Core 2 Duo, 3.16 GHz and only had a slowdown in a couple of dungeons that had crazy numbers of lights, and then it only slowed down to ~15 FPS. Most of the time it runs ~40-60, and that was all pre-patch.

21. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 7, 2011, 23:02 wtf_man

After 105 hours...

1 consistent crash on 1 quest, so I used the console to get past it. (Before 1.02)
1 complete lockup (During 1.02)

5 Year Old machine.
Core 2 Duo (Overclocked to 4GHz, but always has been)
8800GTX (Also Overclocked)
4GB RAM
Windows 7 x64-bit

High Settings, MSAA turned off, FXAA turned on, and AF set to 8x.
1280x1024

Zero framerate problems (towns or anywhere else).
Zero new problems, as far as I can tell, caused by patches. (Other than that one lockup.. and we''ve all had 1.02 for quite a while)

/shrug

Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

20. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 7, 2011, 22:59 MeanJim

Jerykk wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 22:33:
What CPU do you have and what do you consider a decent framerate? If you have a less-than-4 GHz CPU and you get 60 FPS in towns and cities, I'm calling BS.

I have a Core i5 750 running the stock 2.66GHz, GTX 470 (again stock) and 12GB of RAM (which doesn't matter until the LAA patch next week). Even though auto-detect sets graphics settings to high, I'm running the game on ultra at 1680x1050 with AA bumped down to 2x.

I consider a decent frame rate one where I don't notice individual frames. I don't know what my frame rate is, I doubt it's 60, but it's smooth. Like others mentioned, Markarth does cause some slowdowns in certain areas.

"As a species, we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room,
we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another. Why do you
think we invented politics and religion?"

19. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 7, 2011, 22:53 Alamar

I just did some testing, and your ridiculous claim that fps wouldn't be affected by resolution (1920x1200 to 1280x800) was also true for me... I ran around Markarth (where I happened to be saved) and the numbers were pretty much the same on both resolutions...

That does seem odd to me... But I'm happy it runs as well as it does at the top : )

-Alamar

18. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 7, 2011, 22:42 Jerykk

17. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 7, 2011, 22:39 Dades

Core i7-2600k, I just clocked it down to stock to test. 60fps with the odd dips below but this isn't a round of Quake so I don't really see the big deal. The only city that gives me FPS problems is Markarth which is likely a density issue.

I just saw there's a Steam update and read the patch notes. There's a notable change in there thats somewhat related to Skyrim:

-Fixed keeping "Do not automatically update this game" setting

They fixed up offline mode and now that, I think my only steam complaints are now dust.

16. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 7, 2011, 22:33 Jerykk

It's good that it doesn't, then.

What CPU do you have and what do you consider a decent framerate? If you have a less-than-4 GHz CPU and you get 60 FPS in towns and cities, I'm calling BS.

15. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 7, 2011, 22:33 Alamar

Jerykk wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 22:11:
Games being horribly optimized is a real issue with this game. The game is entirely CPU-dependent. I can drop my resolution to 1280x720, turn off AA, AF, texture detail, lighting, etc, and gain exactly 1 FPS. My PC handles 99.9% of console ports at 1080p, 8xAA, 16xAF, max detail settings, all at a constant 60+ FPS. Skyrim is a console port based on 6-year-old hardware so there's absolutely no reason why it should need a 4+ GHz CPU to get a decent framerate.

I haven't noticed any major slowdown in any cities myself... and I have it all maxed...

My 2.8 GHz CPU seems to be handling it alright... And 'old' 5770 vid card... Running at 1680x1050 in a window... : )

-Alamar

14. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 7, 2011, 22:31 nin

Creston wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 22:17:
so there's absolutely no reason why it should need a 4+ GHz CPU to get a decent framerate.

Creston

Oh cmon, Creston! Never let the facts get in the way of a good lie.

13. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 7, 2011, 22:30 Alamar

jimnms wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 21:23:
I haven't seen the problem you describe with quest markers in Skyrim, but I saw it in FNV a lot. The path drawn on the map would have me go in the front door of a random house in the middle of nowhere and come out the back door rather than just walking straight to where I needed to go. Switching the active quest to a different one and back would update the path, so try toggling the quest off and back on if it does it again. I also turn off floating markers and rely on myself to navigate rather than following the quest marker on screen.

I have this problem with my GPS... Not literally into a house, but at one intersection (in London), it wants me to turn right, then turn right again : )

And really, GPS and in game mapping aren't all that different : )

-Alamar

12. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 7, 2011, 22:24 Dades

Performs fine for me in most of the cities but Markarth has really some heavy dips due to the waterfalls, area and number of npcs.  

11. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 7, 2011, 22:23 Sepharo

Running the game with maxed-maxed settings using my 2 year old PC. Admittedly only 1680x1050 because of my display but everything is nice and smooth even with tons of mods increasing texture sizes.  

10. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 7, 2011, 22:17 Creston

so there's absolutely no reason why it should need a 4+ GHz CPU to get a decent framerate.

Creston

9. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 7, 2011, 22:11 Jerykk

1.3.7 has been working great for me so far. But as always, I don't overclock, use mods, injectors or third party fixes. People who continue to have problems, particularly crashing, need to visit the forum thread on crashing issues to see if they can't narrow down the root cause - most likely to be hardware/drivers. Cursing at Bethesda for not supporting your configuration is not going to get the game running any faster.

You realize that the existence of these patches means that there are bugs within the game itself, right? It's not user error.

People running the game at settings their rig can't handle is an "issue" with all games.

Games being horribly optimized is a real issue with this game. The game is entirely CPU-dependent. I can drop my resolution to 1280x720, turn off AA, AF, texture detail, lighting, etc, and gain exactly 1 FPS. My PC handles 99.9% of console ports at 1080p, 8xAA, 16xAF, max detail settings, all at a constant 60+ FPS. Skyrim is a console port based on 6-year-old hardware so there's absolutely no reason why it should need a 4+ GHz CPU to get a decent framerate.

8. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 7, 2011, 22:09 jacobvandy

Slashman wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 22:03:
Jerykk wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 21:47:
Is this the patch that makes towns not run like ass if you don't have a 4+ GHz CPU?

That's an actual real issue?

Man...I'm beginning to feel better about holding off getting it now...

People running the game at settings their rig can't handle is an "issue" with all games.

7. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 7, 2011, 22:03 Slashman

Jerykk wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 21:47:
Is this the patch that makes towns not run like ass if you don't have a 4+ GHz CPU?

That's an actual real issue?

Man...I'm beginning to feel better about holding off getting it now...

106 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >