Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Trine 2 This Week

Finnish developer Frozenbyte announces release dates for Trine 2, their upcoming platformer sequel. The Windows and OS X editions are expected on Steam on December 7, the PS3 edition is expected for North America on PSN on December 20, and for Xbox 360 worldwide on December 21, while the game's European release on PSN is TBD, though they add "hopefully around the same time though." Here's word:
Trine 2 gets December 7 release date for PC and Mac Console versions will follow starting from December 20

Helsinki, Finland - 5 December 2011 - Finnish game developer Frozenbyte is pleased to announce that the Steam and PC/Mac retail versions of Trine 2 will be released on December 7th, 2011.

"FINALLY!" says Lauri Hyvärinen, CEO of Frozenbyte, but continues: "Alas, fans will have to wait a little longer for the console versions. Trine 2 will be available in North America for PlayStation 3 system via PlayStation®Network on December 20, and worldwide for Xbox 360 system via Xbox LIVE Marketplace on December 21. A European release date for the PS3 system version of Trine 2 is still awaiting confirmation but we hope it won't be far behind if delayed at all. The console releases might be arriving a bit later, but they are still in time for the holidays!"

Trine 2 is available for pre-purchase now on Steam and other channels, including GamersGate and Direct2Drive. The regular edition is priced at $14.99/12.99 euros/11.99 pounds. The Collector's Edition is available for $24.99/19.99 euros/17.99 pounds. The Collector's Edition includes a digital artbook with developer commentary and the original soundtrack by the acclaimed composer Ari Pulkkinen. All PC/Mac versions use Steamworks for easy multiplayer, Achievements, Steam Cloud and Steam Play support. A DRM free version of Trine 2 is coming in 2012.

Focus Home Interactive is releasing the retail, physical copy of the PC/Mac Trine 2 Collector's Edition in Europe this week. The retail Collector's Edition includes the beautiful physical artbook and the digital version of the soundtrack.

Trine 2 is set for December 7 release on Steam for PC/Mac, December 21 for Xbox LIVE® Arcade for the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, December 21 in North America and later in December in Europe for PlayStation®Network for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, later in 2011 in the Mac App Store for Mac, and in 2012 for Linux.

Further information:
Official website http://www.trine2.com/
Product page on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/35720/
View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Trine 2 This Week Dec 6, 2011, 22:15 Alamar

fb_joel wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 10:47:
Mac wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 03:50:
Strange release date given that we all know that it will be at least half price in less than a month in the Steam Sale ... ah well, it gives me time to finish the first one.

That's exactly why it's not strange - we specifically did not want to release during the holiday sale, because the game would get buried pretty bad. So we compromised on the release dates (original plan was to have all versions out the same time, but of course console certification is what it is), and will now release the game in a reasonably good period, all things considered.

Trine 2 will not be on sale during the Steam holiday sale. We have some behind-the-scenes reasons for that related to consoles and fair pricing and such, and on top of that we don't really agree with this new mentality of going 75% off a few weeks after release, it's just a bit too much in my opinion (though we're certainly not against big sales in general). Trine 2 will probably follow a very different trend sale-wise than many other recent games, and we sort of hope that pays off in the long term. I guess we'll see.

And thanks everyone for the comments, glad to hear you are looking forward to the game. I hope it meets and exceeds your expectations.

- Joel, Frozenbyte team, developers of Trine 2

I was at the Frozenbyte site the other day... Checking open positions and meant to write a gushing letter...

Had run through Shadowgrounds (pure pistol baby) this past weekend, and it reminded me how much I liked the company... Loved Trine as well, even though I haven't finished yet (slacker!), and had already tried to buy it (steam didn't let me), buy I know I will soon.

Anyhow, good job, and give the rest of the team a hug for me : )

/gushing

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Trine 2 This Week Dec 6, 2011, 20:07 PropheT

And thanks everyone for the comments, glad to hear you are looking forward to the game. I hope it meets and exceeds your expectations.

Thanks for the info, that makes picking it up right now rather than later a lot easier decision knowing it won't be on the holiday sale.

18. Re: Trine 2 This Week Dec 6, 2011, 17:10 StingingVelvet

Trine 2 will not be on sale during the Steam holiday sale. We have some behind-the-scenes reasons for that related to consoles and fair pricing and such, and on top of that we don't really agree with this new mentality of going 75% off a few weeks after release, it's just a bit too much in my opinion (though we're certainly not against big sales in general). Trine 2 will probably follow a very different trend sale-wise than many other recent games, and we sort of hope that pays off in the long term. I guess we'll see.

I applaud that, personally. This trend is just telling people they should never pay full price ever again. Even I, someone who used to always buy on release, have started waiting for games I'm not sure I will love to be half-off, like Saint's Row 3 and LA Noire.

I hope you get a lot of $15 sales.

17. Re: Trine 2 This Week Dec 6, 2011, 13:28 Fion

Wow nice timing on that release date. I cant wait, I loved Trine, it's easily my third fav indie title ever. Trine 2 looks to be even better! The new engine is gorgeous and the co-op is gonna be a blast.  

16. Re: Trine 2 This Week Dec 6, 2011, 11:14 siapnar

Trine 1 was fantastic. I think I played through it non-stop in one day.

Trine 2 looks to be a progression of everything that was good about the first one, while bumping up the visuals about 6 notches.

Kudos Joel and team.

15. Re: Trine 2 This Week Dec 6, 2011, 10:53 nin

we specifically did not want to release during the holiday sale, because the game would get buried pretty bad.

The TellTale folks have done that twice now, and I suspect it's hurt them. The launched Puzzle Agent 2 right at the start of the summer sale, and I think their JP game hit a week after Skyrim, a day after SR3, and about a week before the fall sale. They have the worst timing...

14. Re: Trine 2 This Week Dec 6, 2011, 10:47  fb_joel 

Mac wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 03:50:
Strange release date given that we all know that it will be at least half price in less than a month in the Steam Sale ... ah well, it gives me time to finish the first one.

That's exactly why it's not strange - we specifically did not want to release during the holiday sale, because the game would get buried pretty bad. So we compromised on the release dates (original plan was to have all versions out the same time, but of course console certification is what it is), and will now release the game in a reasonably good period, all things considered.

- Joel, Frozenbyte team, developers of Trine 2

13. Re: Trine 2 This Week Dec 6, 2011, 09:44 CmdrShepardsPie

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 5, 2011, 21:25:
Trine did NOTHING for me. Thought it was very boring and had been done before. Glad I got it for just a few bucks last year.

It's not the game that's fun, it's how you play it and who you play it with! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TRVZpaH_1c

12. Re: Trine 2 This Week Dec 6, 2011, 08:38 Fibrocyte

That trailer looks quite good...  

11. Re: Trine 2 This Week Dec 6, 2011, 06:04 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, apparently Trine 2 on Gamersgate still uses Steamworks as its DRM... guess it'll be a Steam purchase for me then. No point in getting charged 30 cents for "foreign credit services" on my bullshit credit card.

10. Re: Trine 2 This Week Dec 6, 2011, 04:59 jacobvandy

PropheT wrote on Dec 5, 2011, 23:37:
Wow, there's a release date out of nowhere. Don't remember ever seeing an "Oh, btw, it'll be out in 2 days" before.

They may not have put out a dedicated press release about it before, but the December 7th digital date has been around for a while, at least since their European retail publisher announced the ship date for the collector's edition.

9. Re: Trine 2 This Week Dec 6, 2011, 03:50 Mac

8. Re: Trine 2 This Week Dec 6, 2011, 02:50 StingingVelvet

I was tempted to get this, but I still haven't finished Trine. Got a new rule for myself about that sort of thing.  

7. Re: Trine 2 This Week Dec 6, 2011, 02:19 Jerykk

Trine did NOTHING for me. Thought it was very boring and had been done before.

Yet you enjoyed Homefront.

6. Re: Trine 2 This Week Dec 6, 2011, 02:18 DangerDog

Purchased Trine 1 during a Steam sale-o-thon, I remember reading some comment that it was really hard platform game when it came out so I ignored it. I didn't find it terribly difficult and it looked and played great.

Day one purchase for me, especially considering it's already priced so damn reasonable.

5. Re: Trine 2 This Week Dec 5, 2011, 23:43 bigspender

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 5, 2011, 21:25:
Trine did NOTHING for me. Thought it was very boring and had been done before. Glad I got it for just a few bucks last year.

you didn't play it 3 player co-op with a couple of beers did you?

It wasn't deep enough, but it was a blast playing it on hard mode and you actually had to work together - with of course some friendly team killing

Really looking forward to TRINE 2! The graphics are simply beautiful, ever area of the screen is a like a masterpiece landscape painting.

4. Re: Trine 2 This Week Dec 5, 2011, 23:37 PropheT

Wow, there's a release date out of nowhere. Don't remember ever seeing an "Oh, btw, it'll be out in 2 days" before.  

3. Re: Trine 2 This Week Dec 5, 2011, 23:32 spindoctor

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 5, 2011, 21:49:
Now, should it be Gamersgate or Steam...

It has been available on Steam for a month or two now. 15$ price and pre-ordering gets you access to the multiplayer beta and a couple of TF2 hats if that's your thing. It's pretty fun too, although I haven't tried MP yet.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

2. Re: Trine 2 This Week Dec 5, 2011, 21:49 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, a Trine hater.

Luckily no one will be holding a gun to your head, forcing you to buy Trine 2.

I on the other hand will be buying this immediately, Trine 1 was great, even on their ridiculously small budget.

Now, should it be Gamersgate or Steam...

1. Re: Trine 2 This Week Dec 5, 2011, 21:25 Retired

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >