Star Wars: The Old Republic Jedi Consular Trailer

The Star Wars: The Old Republic Website offers a new "Jedi Consular Character Progression" trailer from BioWare's upcoming Star Wars MMORPG. Word is: "The Jedi Consular is both a revered ally to the Republic and a dangerous adversary to the Empire. Their ability to revive fallen allies in combat and to manipulate the Force to remain hidden from their enemies makes them an invaluable asset. Get a small glimpse of the many paths of advancement for this powerful Force-wielding class."
View : : :
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

removed
Nov 27, 2011, 05:52
sir
removed Nov 27, 2011, 05:52
Nov 27, 2011, 05:52
sir

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 27, 2011, 12:43.

removed
Nov 27, 2011, 05:26
removed Nov 27, 2011, 05:26
Nov 27, 2011, 05:26

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 27, 2011, 06:00.

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Jedi Consular Trailer
Nov 27, 2011, 03:41
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Jedi Consular Trailer Nov 27, 2011, 03:41
Nov 27, 2011, 03:41

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 27, 2011, 02:58:
Veterator wrote on Nov 27, 2011, 02:50:
Is it a stress test or beta test?
Both. It simply depends on whether or not you were invited to the 'weekend' login server stressing, or if you're still a part of the long-term beta testing group. There's people from both groups in this thread. But there's still enough problems from what I've been reading it's still in a beta state, and there's still enough problems that they're going to have to seriously step it up for the stress testing to get close to a stable point.

Yeah, but I was trying to point out that having extra people around beyond a 36-48 hour period isn't exactly hurting them when they have more than one goal to achieve. Stressing and content testing are still needed. Stringing people along and then having people act like you owe the company a favor (or a dollar) for the treatment is a tad too much.

It's kinda like inviting everyone to see a movie for free while they test seating and aisle flow during a fire alarm drill. You think you get to see a movie, they think they'll get a shitload of people in the place and pull the alarm after 5-15 minutes into the movie and thanking them for their participation and sending them on their way. And can't figure out why that's rather irritating to the 500 people who showed up for a free movie.

Well we SAID it was a fire drill and a free movie, kids these days thinking we're going to let them actually enjoy something while we get our testing done for free using them.

Nov 27, 2011, 02:58
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Jedi Consular Trailer Nov 27, 2011, 02:58
Nov 27, 2011, 02:58

Veterator wrote on Nov 27, 2011, 02:50:
Is it a stress test or beta test?
Both. It simply depends on whether or not you were invited to the 'weekend' login server stressing, or if you're still a part of the long-term beta testing group. There's people from both groups in this thread. But there's still enough problems from what I've been reading it's still in a beta state, and there's still enough problems that they're going to have to seriously step it up for the stress testing to get close to a stable point.
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Nov 27, 2011, 02:50
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Jedi Consular Trailer Nov 27, 2011, 02:50
Nov 27, 2011, 02:50

Doombringer wrote on Nov 26, 2011, 07:08:
It's a stress test. The game launches in less than a month! Criminey. They're not going to give you weeks of beta access so you can burn out and not buy the retail product. If your friends are fans, and your experience with the beta has been relatively positive, then tell them to buy the game when it's out.

These kids nowadays... it's like "beta test" means "free game."

Is it a stress test or beta test? Stress test to me means content is generally done and you are checking to see if the any changes need to be made on the server side to better cover the load from player surges.

Beta test means the general concept and content of the game is there, late phase beta (1 month away) should be minor balance tweaks and quest fixes that the game could live without fixing before launch. But generally late phase beta/stress test phase = 99.99999% retail content. I am sure most people are convinced that there's a miracle patch to cover every problem before launch, but it never comes.....ever.

Now if this is a beta, they need more eyes testing it because there are problems with lag (still), prior to this weekend and during it. Lack of content at 30+ levels. Lack of content for PVP instancing. Unpopular mechanics (expensive re-rolls, and no changing of advanced class). Poor crafting systems overall, people had disappearing recipes on log out..that's assuming the stuff is worth making in the first place generally it's not.

If this is a stress test, they still have lag problems. A short period of holiday weekend players with a couple days notice prior via email to let them know when they could login. The turn out would have been higher if people hadn't been given short notice and didn't have holidays to contend with. Not to mention all of the driver issues people will experience with the game, as with all modern games.

It's the same argument people use in game. How do you test a game without playing the game? If you say "Im playing the game" someone out there says "You're doing it wrong! You're supposed to be testing!" Hell I used to test games from Sierra, tested Everquest and many other MMOs. If you aren't playing it like a game, I think you're doing something wrong. As for beta tests = free game, they used to send me copies of the games I tested for free after it launched. So.....they are getting more bang for their buck getting you to shell out for the game after it launches and all that free labor in beta. I guess kids these days have gotten used to being taken advantage of and looking at it as an "opportunity".

Nov 27, 2011, 02:27
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Jedi Consular Trailer Nov 27, 2011, 02:27
Nov 27, 2011, 02:27

Meh another testing weekend, with another shitty pile of crap. Between servers that are still packed at nearly 3am, with 4hr login queues, and then on exit it decides to redownload the entire client again. My desire to even purchase this is close to nil.
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Nov 27, 2011, 02:13
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Jedi Consular Trailer Nov 27, 2011, 02:13
Nov 27, 2011, 02:13

It's Star Wars. How many of you went to all 3 of the prequel trilogies hoping it'd get better?

Just because it has a lot of interest before there's any real information about it doesn't mean it's good enough to have staying power.

But yes, I look at this weekend only beta event with how short it was as Age of Conan and Tortage all over again. While not as drastic, the story content in SWTOR is noticeably lighter at the upper levels. And the flashpoints are not at all voiced over beyond Esseles and Black Talon, the initial blurb at the beginning is voiced. But I have yet to find one where inside the outcome is changed via dialog, it uses tradeskills to bypass sections and what not. No dialog. There was also no special commendations per flashpoint anymore, they were level appropriate planet commendations.

Would have given them usage of my beta account if it wasn't tied to my Origin account and all the info and such that comes with that.

I predict 1-1.5 million subscribers in the first month or two. And server merges in less than a year probably more like 6-8 months, at least 30% probably more like half of the servers especially on the PVP servers.

Nov 26, 2011, 17:32
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Jedi Consular Trailer Nov 26, 2011, 17:32
Nov 26, 2011, 17:32

Warhammer had something like 900k people in the beta. The big name WoWclones are never short of hype or players prior to launch.

Nov 26, 2011, 16:10
nin

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Jedi Consular Trailer Nov 26, 2011, 16:10
Nov 26, 2011, 16:10
 nin

sir wrote on Nov 26, 2011, 14:37:
I've just played for a couple of hours, and I found it moderately entertaining, but perhaps I'm not their target demographic - I only found World of Warcraft entertaining for a short while back in 2005.

Honestly, on my first beta weekend a few months ago, I went in with very high expectations and was initially a little let down. But the more I played it, the more I liked it.

Nov 26, 2011, 15:23
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Jedi Consular Trailer Nov 26, 2011, 15:23
Nov 26, 2011, 15:23

Nomaar wrote on Nov 26, 2011, 13:43:
Cutter wrote on Nov 26, 2011, 13:39:
Strees test my ass, it's a marketing beta. It means they're afraid to let people take a real look at the game. 'Nuff said.

You're usually smarter than this. Every MMORPG has a stress test--usually an open beta--to prepare for the launch. I don't see what's so unusual about it.

It's fairly simple. It's Cutter, and it's not Guild Wars 2, so he's going to say everything negative he possibly can. When you figure out this pattern you'll just learn to ignore him on anything MMO related.
-C22

Nov 26, 2011, 14:37
sir
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Jedi Consular Trailer Nov 26, 2011, 14:37
Nov 26, 2011, 14:37
sir

I've just played for a couple of hours, and I found it moderately entertaining, but perhaps I'm not their target demographic - I only found World of Warcraft entertaining for a short while back in 2005.

Nov 26, 2011, 14:17
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Jedi Consular Trailer Nov 26, 2011, 14:17
Nov 26, 2011, 14:17

Yes, that's why there are 30-40 servers all full with hours-long queues at the moment -- just as they were yesterday.

Rift had the same thing, and yesterday it was on sale for $5. So it's not unreasonable to suggest that 6+ months from now, there'll be a significant sale for SW:TOR too.

Nov 26, 2011, 13:56
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Jedi Consular Trailer Nov 26, 2011, 13:56
Nov 26, 2011, 13:56

Nomaar wrote on Nov 26, 2011, 13:41:
Yes, that's why there are 30-40 servers all full with hours-long queues at the moment -- just as they were yesterday. People are so disappointed with the game I guess they're just falling asleep at their keyboards.
Well I guess if they want to stress test their login servers they're doing fine. I guess I'll get around to this eventually, prolly at 3am.
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Nov 26, 2011, 13:43
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Jedi Consular Trailer Nov 26, 2011, 13:43
Nov 26, 2011, 13:43

Cutter wrote on Nov 26, 2011, 13:39:
Strees test my ass, it's a marketing beta. It means they're afraid to let people take a real look at the game. 'Nuff said.

You're usually smarter than this. Every MMORPG has a stress test--usually an open beta--to prepare for the launch. I don't see what's so unusual about it.

Nov 26, 2011, 13:41
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Jedi Consular Trailer Nov 26, 2011, 13:41
Nov 26, 2011, 13:41

Umbragen wrote on Nov 26, 2011, 08:12:
It really shouldn't take more than a weekend to realize this game isn't worth a pre-order or the list price. Wait until the price drops, it will be the same game with the same limited lifespan.

Yes, that's why there are 30-40 servers all full with hours-long queues at the moment -- just as they were yesterday. People are so disappointed with the game I guess they're just falling asleep at their keyboards.

Nov 26, 2011, 13:39
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Jedi Consular Trailer Nov 26, 2011, 13:39
Nov 26, 2011, 13:39

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Nov 26, 2011, 08:12
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Jedi Consular Trailer Nov 26, 2011, 08:12
Nov 26, 2011, 08:12

It really shouldn't take more than a weekend to realize this game isn't worth a pre-order or the list price. Wait until the price drops, it will be the same game with the same limited lifespan.

Nov 26, 2011, 07:08
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Jedi Consular Trailer Nov 26, 2011, 07:08
Nov 26, 2011, 07:08

Veterator wrote on Nov 25, 2011, 23:52:
What bothers me about this beta weekend is that they got thousands of people downloading 20-30 gigs worth of data. Waiting upwards of a week for more info. And they let them in Saturday at 10AM and it ends Sunday at midnight. That's not even 48 hours of opportunity to login for all your time invested up to this point.

I mean Ive been in the beta for awhile, and that pisses me off. I have friends who I had to convince to get in and they didn't even give them the holiday and the weekend to mess around. Gave them a day and a half at best if there are no problems....and they are going to take the servers down (probably wipe the temp servers) so that means you have repeat yourself the next time they give you 36 hours to try to login.

And the game prior to this massive influx of people has been having huge lag spikes, whether it's due to code or server issues. I hate to see my friends just flat out waste their time for a bunch of downloading/sign-up/lag/other problems the chance to play won't even make up for. And both of them are star wars fans.

It's a stress test. The game launches in less than a month! Criminey. They're not going to give you weeks of beta access so you can burn out and not buy the retail product. If your friends are fans, and your experience with the beta has been relatively positive, then tell them to buy the game when it's out.

These kids nowadays... it's like "beta test" means "free game."

Nov 26, 2011, 05:39
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Jedi Consular Trailer Nov 26, 2011, 05:39
Nov 26, 2011, 05:39

Asmo wrote on Nov 26, 2011, 03:15:
No one twists their arms to come in, it's a beta test and it's voluntary to help Bioware test their systems...

If you've paid for access to a beta product you have expectations of something higher (eg. minecraft), not when the offer to test isn't dependent on you buying something.

Plus I'm sure there are millions of other nuts who would be more than willing to take their keys... =)

Been playing over this w'end and I'm surprised at just how stable the build is. There are certainly still a few rough edges to polish off ( I wish the UI was unlockable and configurable) but generally it's been a pretty fine experience.

Oh there's technical nothing wrong with what you say. Beta being voluntary, but they don't tell them before they download when they will test or how long that test will be. So they download that 20-30 gigs of data and wait. One waited almost 3 weeks to hear when he would be allowed in after being told he'd be taken in soon. Starts Saturday at noon, I am not even sure he knows it ends Sunday and he's out again after that.

As for giving away your key, once it's used it's tied to an Origin account created at the same time you created your SWTOR beta account. If you use your existing Origin account it's linked to all your purchases and CC info, etc. So you can't just give that account to someone else without basically giving the other person your street address at a minimum, game collection and purchasing info otherwise. And THAT is not even really clear either that your SWTOR account is tied directly to your origin account info or an origin account created in your name with the same login info.

As for the build claims, no idea. They put out a patch thursday evening, prior to that the server was still getting huge lag spikes every ~10 minutes even in the dead hours. I'll say this though, the content you see at low levels especially the first Flashpoint and all it's dialog and stuff, is not present in future flashpoints. Reminds me of Age of Conan's city of Tortuga, it's misleading.

My best guesses at this point. This current weekend beta ends, Nov 27/28th depending on your time zone. The game is set for release Dec 20, they offer up to 5 days headstart to preorders. So that makes the start Dec 15th if they hold up that 5 days. That leaves 2 and a half weeks prior to it. And Im guessing they take the servers for wipe, maintenance, upgrades, etc at the end of the weekend prior to the 15th if not earlier. So that would be Dec 11 or 12. That leaves two weeks to generate a gold version and put the game out. And I can't even guess what kind of lead time they need on that to get the CDs pressed and the boxes out on time....I think 10 days would be pushing it.

This comment was edited on Nov 26, 2011, 05:49.

Nov 26, 2011, 03:15
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Jedi Consular Trailer Nov 26, 2011, 03:15
Nov 26, 2011, 03:15

No one twists their arms to come in, it's a beta test and it's voluntary to help Bioware test their systems...

If you've paid for access to a beta product you have expectations of something higher (eg. minecraft), not when the offer to test isn't dependent on you buying something.

Plus I'm sure there are millions of other nuts who would be more than willing to take their keys... =)

Been playing over this w'end and I'm surprised at just how stable the build is. There are certainly still a few rough edges to polish off ( I wish the UI was unlockable and configurable) but generally it's been a pretty fine experience.
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older