Skyrim Ships 7M

ZeniMax Media announces having shipped seven million units of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, saying they expect Bethesda Softworks' RPG sequel to generate more than $450 million in global retail sales. "We are grateful for the fans’ response to Skyrim," said Robert Altman, Chairman and CEO of ZeniMax Media. "Todd Howard and his team at Bethesda Game Studios have crafted a very special game. Anticipation for Skyrim has surpassed any game in our company’s history, and we are pleased that sales and reviews have reflected the quality and hours of amazing gameplay it provides."
View : : :
105 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older

Re: Skyrim Ships 7M
Nov 17, 2011, 09:03
Verno

Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 09:03
Nov 17, 2011, 09:03
 Verno

I still can not believe I paid $60 for a Fallout 3 TC.

It doesn't have much in common with Fallout 3 unless you make a shallow surface comparison to bare mechanics. They are both sandbox games with similar RPG mechanics, that's about it. It's like saying you paid $60 for a GTA TC. The UI isn't good but with some mouse sensitivity fixes I've been able to work with it.

I have never played a game on PC that has had this level of consolitis when it comes to the UI.

Oblivion's UI was an utter trainwreck in most ways too IIRC. Bethesda peaked at UI design with Morrowind and people had complaints about that too. They are not good at designing multiplatform UIs. I tried playing Skyrim with a gamepad before the mouse fixes were known and it's just as cumbersome and annoying IMO so it's not like they're any better off.
Playing: FF7R
Watching: The Last Dance

Nov 17, 2011, 08:58
Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 08:58
Nov 17, 2011, 08:58

I still can not believe I paid $60 for a Fallout 3 TC.

Not to mention the one massive bug the game has that will likely never get fixed... the horrible consolised UI. I basically shelved the game because of this alone. Just got completely sick of fighting with the thing.

Nov 17, 2011, 08:57
Verno

Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 08:57
Nov 17, 2011, 08:57
 Verno

ochentay4 wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 07:39:
7 million units? now bethesda have no excuse to patch this game as soon as possible. Every Fallout or ElderScrolls have been plagued with bugs at launch. Until its not polished, I will not buy it.

Your loss, it's an amazing game and I'm having a blast with it.
Playing: FF7R
Watching: The Last Dance

Nov 17, 2011, 08:15
Dev

Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 08:15
Nov 17, 2011, 08:15
 Dev

7 million units? now bethesda have no excuse to patch this game as soon as possible. Every Fallout or ElderScrolls have been plagued with bugs at launch. Until its not polished, I will not buy it.
If you wait for the GotY version with all the DLC you accomplish a few things things.

First, you wait until they get most of the bugs out. As you said, beth is known for a lot of bugs in these games.
Second its much cheaper (this is a $60 game, and I bet there will be at least 4 DLC of the $10 price, totaling $100+ at normal non-sale prices).
Third, the DLC is done and its all included.
Fourth, the good mods mature and you can have the game in a far better state.

Nov 17, 2011, 07:45
Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 07:45
Nov 17, 2011, 07:45

Flatline wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 00:18:
Aside from the unusually craggy mountains which feel like they were auto-generated (I'm fine with craggy, but some of those crags are Mass Effect 1 levels of random peaks), the art direction is among the best I've ever seen.

Seeing smoke plumes from the city change directions in the breeze, watching a wave of wind sway a valley full of trees, the fog/clouds/mist flowing over mountains and forming off of peaks, it's amazing. The small things get me too: I was in the north country near the Mage College and watched as the sun came out after a wicked snow storm, and within a few minutes water was dripping from the edges of cliffs.

It's still buggy (for some reason on the PC my weapons are mapped backwards: The left hand on the screen is activated by the right mouse button), and the quests are glitchy, and some of the enemies are the definition of cheap, but I keep coming back for the art direction. Finding waterfalls and hot springs and other acts of nature are almost more encouragement to play than the quests.

The weapons mapped to LM and RM aren't a bug, or a mistake. If you started off playing sword and board, you'd expect your left mouse button to attack and your right mouse to block with shield, or if you only had one weapon you'd fully expect left mouse to attack with it. That's where it came from. LM = Main hand, RM = offhand. If you want to swap them so that left is left and right is right, then feel free.

Nov 17, 2011, 07:39
Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 07:39
Nov 17, 2011, 07:39

Aside from the unusually craggy mountains which feel like they were auto-generated (I'm fine with craggy, but some of those crags are Mass Effect 1 levels of random peaks), the art direction is among the best I've ever seen.

Seeing smoke plumes from the city change directions in the breeze, watching a wave of wind sway a valley full of trees, the fog/clouds/mist flowing over mountains and forming off of peaks, it's amazing. The small things get me too: I was in the north country near the Mage College and watched as the sun came out after a wicked snow storm, and within a few minutes water was dripping from the edges of cliffs.

It's still buggy (for some reason on the PC my weapons are mapped backwards: The left hand on the screen is activated by the right mouse button), and the quests are glitchy, and some of the enemies are the definition of cheap, but I keep coming back for the art direction. Finding waterfalls and hot springs and other acts of nature are almost more encouragement to play than the quests.

Nov 17, 2011, 07:32
Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 07:32
Nov 17, 2011, 07:32

netnerd85 wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 02:52:
Who knew rabbits could run fast underwater!

Seriously, why do they never get punished for their awful programming!? Is it because the bugs are funny? Yet other games get a thorough review raping for the smallest bug. Unfair. Toff

They build games so deep and complex that other companies can't be bothered. Is it any surprise that there are bugs? We tolerate it because no one else does anything like it and most of us understand it's practically impossible to ship something like this without them. Some bugs are hilarious and unintended, others are a result of unpredictable interactions and others are just simple oversight in a massive game. I think it's remarkable how polished this game is when you consider the breadth of content and how many possibilities they need to account for in its design.

Nov 17, 2011, 07:30
Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 07:30
Nov 17, 2011, 07:30

PHJF wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 07:25:
All right I finished the main quest up last night (or should I say this morning) at a final level of... 51. I've been death incarnate for the past twenty levels so I figured I'd stop delaying the inevitable. Final boss went down in about 1.75 seconds.

They do if you're dual wielding the same item, never tried to get different ones to work, but I'd hazard a guess that it's just one more button press at worst.

Not if you've upgraded them.

Upgraded, as in smithing? All my equipment is upgraded including the sword and dagger I just tested dual wielding with.

Nov 17, 2011, 07:25
PHJF

Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 07:25
Nov 17, 2011, 07:25
 PHJF

All right I finished the main quest up last night (or should I say this morning) at a final level of... 51. I've been death incarnate for the past twenty levels so I figured I'd stop delaying the inevitable. Final boss went down in about 1.75 seconds.

They do if you're dual wielding the same item, never tried to get different ones to work, but I'd hazard a guess that it's just one more button press at worst.

Not if you've upgraded them.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Nov 17, 2011, 07:22
Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 07:22
Nov 17, 2011, 07:22

everyone wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 06:41:
Ratty wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 00:55:
I swear some of the NPCs are voiced by Garrett himself, Stephen Russell.
That's because they are.
Darks wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 02:17:
You guys realize that you can hot key weapons and spells in this game with the key pad and the number keys right?
You realise that the hotkeys don't actually work if you want to dual wield, right?

Edit: Just tested and hotkeys worked fine for dual wielding different items. You can't set them to the same key, but swapping between a 2hander/bow and my right hand weapon via it's hotkey brought up both my dual wielded weapons every single time.

This comment was edited on Nov 17, 2011, 07:28.

Nov 17, 2011, 06:41
Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 06:41
Nov 17, 2011, 06:41

Ratty wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 00:55:
I swear some of the NPCs are voiced by Garrett himself, Stephen Russell.
That's because they are.
Darks wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 02:17:
You guys realize that you can hot key weapons and spells in this game with the key pad and the number keys right?
You realise that the hotkeys don't actually work if you want to dual wield, right?

Nov 17, 2011, 06:07
Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 06:07
Nov 17, 2011, 06:07

I rerolled a new character because the last one was too spread-out. I used too many skills and my character level didnt really represnt the relative power of my character. As a result I got my ass handed to me by most of the critters in the wilderness

Rerolled a Dark Elf bastard.

Primary skills I plan to "powergame": Destruction, Light Armor, Sneak, One-Handed Weapons.

Secondary: Smithing (apparetnly the only useful way to get really good shit), Enchanting

Any tips, pointers on how not to fuck up my char??? Right now Ive visited Riverun, I didnt visit Whiterun and Im on my way to find the Dark Bortherhood in that town where its mentioned they might be found...
I have a nifty blue line!

Nov 17, 2011, 03:47
Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 03:47
Nov 17, 2011, 03:47

Creston wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 01:00:
Same for the whole "the snow map is dynamic." Yeah, if by dynamic you mean "dynamically placed by the mappers," sure.

I know you can melt away the snow with a Flame spell, didn't have the patience to see if it snows back up again though..

jimnms wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 03:02:
My only dialog option was something about overhearing an argument and asking what was going on, which led to him giving me a quest to find something. I had never seen this guy before or overheard an argument.

Some monologs / dialogs the NPC's have trigger quests or extra dialog options, which will stay triggered. You might have overheard something the last time you were in town but weren't wearing your headphones, was afk a minute without pausing, etc.

All the times I've seen a message popup top left corner (Map location added / Quest added etc) I heard some NPC talking about it, some times more audible than others. I actually love the little 'mental notes' you make like that for overhearing / noticing something like that.

Nov 17, 2011, 03:17
Vio
Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 03:17
Nov 17, 2011, 03:17
Vio

I'm hoping for one of the following in a TES sequel: Kajiit or Argonian homeland / The return of the Dwemer.

On the UI - really the PC implementation is pis poor, clicking on chat options register as not clicking on them, mouse wheel scrolling is erratic, selecting items to sell or changing categories drop you straight our at random as if you clicked off the sell menu or hit tab, and navigating proficiency trees are just idiotic how it at random decides to go to the wrong point or a different tree..., also why is scrolling through the skills so SLOW, and why can't we sort our loot by value/weight/damage/armor class/type? - Having to scroll through all your stuff to find out these things a simple sort would do is ridiculous. Binding Items/powers directly to keys and have mwheel scroll through them? I like the Favorites menu as a extra, but not the overriding 'lord' that it imposes itself to 1-8 shortcuts (WHICH ARE BUGGED because they unbind themselves at random).

I know mods will probably fix these things, but really..., these are glaring UI bugs and plainly expected reasonable "normal" features.

Still a great game, but UI bugs detract/frustrate the most in my opinion.

Nov 17, 2011, 03:02
Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 03:02
Nov 17, 2011, 03:02

Since I was out of town the weekend of release day, I've only got 16 hours in. I'm actually feeling disappointed with the game. I had to modify the game's control map myself because if you use a custom key setup, it was a pain in the ass because the in game interface still displayed the default keys to press for certain actions. My fix is here for anyone interested.

I have only been to two towns so far. After the beginning, I followed that guy to Riverwood. I did a few little things there then headed to Witerun to see the Jarl.

There are a lot of little bugs and things that kind of ruin it for me. When I've talked to some people for the first time, I have dialog options to ask them about things that I don't/shouldn't know about yet. I don't remember specifics off hand, but the last one I was out in the streets of Whiterun at night. There was a guy walking by himself, so I talked to him. My only dialog option was something about overhearing an argument and asking what was going on, which led to him giving me a quest to find something. I had never seen this guy before or overheard an argument.

After I had spoken to the Jarl, I walked around and like a kleptomaniac I took anything that wasn't nailed down. The majority of the stuff wasn't "owned," so it wasn't stealing. But I was in the Jarl's bedroom, in plain sight of the guards steeling shit from drawers, cabinets and wardrobes. They only seem to give a shit if you steal something laying out in the open, but not if you take it from a container.

I'm not too fond of the health regen, it defeats the purpose of food and cooking since it regenerates so fast. There is a console command that can disable it, but in the forum thread where I found out about it, someone said it breaks potions and other items that give you a temporary health regen. I wish they would have made that part of the difficulty system, or better yet, offered a hardcore mode like in Fallout New Vegas. I'm sure mods will take care of this, but why does every damn game that comes out now have to have health regen?

At first I liked that conversations didn't stop the world, but now I wish they did. Too many times have I been trying to talk to someone and had another person walk up and start talking making it impossible to hear either of them.

I also don't like the in-game map. I would rather have a detailed 2D map than this 3D map where I can't make out roads and paths. And I was really pissed off when the pre-order "cloth" map turned out to be a textured paper map.

And there are things that I think Oblivion did better, like the lock picking. I could go on, but I need sleep. Don't get me wrong, I like Skyrim, but it's frustrating because it could be so much better.
"The only way anyone can live in peace is if they're prepared to forgive." - The Doctor

Nov 17, 2011, 02:52
Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 02:52
Nov 17, 2011, 02:52

Who knew rabbits could run fast underwater!

Seriously, why do they never get punished for their awful programming!? Is it because the bugs are funny? Yet other games get a thorough review raping for the smallest bug. Unfair. Toff

Nov 17, 2011, 02:17
Darks

Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 02:17
Nov 17, 2011, 02:17
 Darks

MisterBenn wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 00:54:
my weapons are mapped backwards
Use Left Hand and Use Right Hand are remappable ingame! They are reversed by default to be the same as previous games presumably.

Just hover the mouse over any item so that it turns white. And this has to be done while the Favorites menu is open. Then hit the number key to while the item is highlighted. Get out of the Favorite menu and hit the number key you assigned it and it is now hot keyed. In the Favorites menu if it works correctly you will see the number pop up in front of the item you hot keyed.

Works great and it’s so much easier. They are basically using the same key mapping of items like Fallout.
Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Nov 17, 2011, 01:47
Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 01:47
Nov 17, 2011, 01:47

Dev wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 01:25:
Kastagir wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 01:06:
$450 million and counting...I hope that means we can get some support for this game. The UI, as horrible as it is, is broken in a few places and needs to be fixed to make remapping keys less of an obstruction.
Beth gives a decent amount of support in patches to titles as seen in the past. They don't fix everything, but the mod community usually fixes most of the rest. The UI is rarely changed much though by beth, usually the mod community fixes that up to be more appropriate to PC instead of a direct port from console.

I don't need Bethesda to overhaul the UI for PC users - that would be ridiculous. I'm sure they had a spec requirement for the UI to function a certain way across all platforms, and it fills that requirement well enough. The mod community can do a far better job of coming up with a PC-specific UI on their own. What Bethesda needs to fix is the broken keybindings and how the game's different menus' commands don't work (at all) if you start rebinding keys. That and the 'button help' graphics that don't change even if you remap keys. This stuff is just dumb choices/oversights that should, and probably will, be fixed in the first patch.

Nov 17, 2011, 01:25
Dev

Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 01:25
Nov 17, 2011, 01:25
 Dev

Kastagir wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 01:06:
$450 million and counting...I hope that means we can get some support for this game. The UI, as horrible as it is, is broken in a few places and needs to be fixed to make remapping keys less of an obstruction.
Beth gives a decent amount of support in patches to titles as seen in the past. They don't fix everything, but the mod community usually fixes most of the rest. The UI is rarely changed much though by beth, usually the mod community fixes that up to be more appropriate to PC instead of a direct port from console.

Nov 17, 2011, 01:24
Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 01:24
Nov 17, 2011, 01:24

Jerykk wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 01:14:
I think the issue is that they shouldn't have been mapped like that in the first place. It's completely illogical.

In fairness by default they are how the previous games have been, at least for a sword and shield character. It was the expansion to the two handed system and introducing the notions of left and right hand that made it weird for some.
105 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older