Skyrim Ships 7M

ZeniMax Media announces having shipped seven million units of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, saying they expect Bethesda Softworks' RPG sequel to generate more than $450 million in global retail sales. "We are grateful for the fans’ response to Skyrim," said Robert Altman, Chairman and CEO of ZeniMax Media. "Todd Howard and his team at Bethesda Game Studios have crafted a very special game. Anticipation for Skyrim has surpassed any game in our company’s history, and we are pleased that sales and reviews have reflected the quality and hours of amazing gameplay it provides."
View : : :
105 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older

Re: Skyrim Ships 7M
Nov 17, 2011, 14:12
Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 14:12
Nov 17, 2011, 14:12

Verno wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 13:57:
I understand what you are saying. Let me explain how I think this is working. It’s not the most refined way and there’s no rhyme or reason to why Bethesda did it this way.

Right, that's a workaround involving other equips though like I mentioned earlier. People want to just hit one button to equip two weapons that they select without needing any workaround, end of story. It would just make things far easier. They don't want to be hitting 3-4 different keys to have to do it and they don't want to have to memorize what order they did things in so that it doesn't screw up in the middle of combat while they're worried about managing shouts/magic/weapons/etc. The way Bethesda implemented it was to accommodate gamepads but having used a gamepad with the game myself just for kicks, it doesn't work very well there either IMO.

Speaking of which, anyone know if there are Control 1-9 shortcuts or something? Having just 1-8 is really limiting and my favorites menu is bloated from all of silly dragon shouts and etc.
Silly Rabbit. XBox doesn't have a control key. So of course not.

But autohotkey works very well with Skyrim. You might possibly be able to script a chain of keys to a ctrl combination. But I don't think you can script mouse scrolling so maybe not. I love autohotkey. It's made Skyrim's UI somewhat more bearable.

Nov 17, 2011, 14:00
Darks

Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 14:00
Nov 17, 2011, 14:00
 Darks

Verno wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 13:57:
Right, that's a workaround involving other equips though like I mentioned earlier. People want to just hit one button to equip two weapons that they select without needing any workaround, end of story. It would just make things far easier. They don't want to be hitting 3-4 different keys to have to do it and they don't want to have to memorize what order they did things in so that it doesn't screw up in the middle of combat while they're worried about managing shouts/magic/weapons/etc.

Speaking of which, anyone know if there are Control 1-9 shortcuts or something? Having just 1-8 is really limiting and my favorites menu is bloated from all of silly dragon shouts and etc.

I don’t think there is, it seems to be locked down to just those 8. And to me I think they should have made three Favorites menus. One for Weapons, one for Spells and one for Potions. I hate having to wade through that long list of crap.
Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Nov 17, 2011, 13:57
Verno

Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 13:57
Nov 17, 2011, 13:57
 Verno

I understand what you are saying. Let me explain how I think this is working. It’s not the most refined way and there’s no rhyme or reason to why Bethesda did it this way.

Right, that's a workaround involving other equips though like I mentioned earlier. People want to just hit one button to equip two weapons that they select without needing any workaround, end of story. It would just make things far easier. They don't want to be hitting 3-4 different keys to have to do it and they don't want to have to memorize what order they did things in so that it doesn't screw up in the middle of combat while they're worried about managing shouts/magic/weapons/etc. The way Bethesda implemented it was to accommodate gamepads but having used a gamepad with the game myself just for kicks, it doesn't work very well there either IMO.

Playing: FF7R
Watching: The Last Dance

Nov 17, 2011, 13:46
Darks

Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 13:46
Nov 17, 2011, 13:46
 Darks

Verno wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 12:55:
I’m not sure why you all are having issues with it. I have two swords both with different enchantments. One with Ice the other with Fire and I’m having no issues at all with it. I haven’t tried an Axe. So I’m not sure about those. I switch back between the swords and my bow a lot and a heal spell. But, I have had some issues with other keys sometimes seemingly getting confused and not working until; I hit either TAB or escape and they work again.

Are they the same sword though? I think you're misunderstanding what people are wanting here, they want a single hotkey to equip different weapons for dual wielding purposes. Try equipping an axe and a sword to the same hotkey, you can't. Any items that are "grouped" under the favorites menu you can dual wield by hitting the same button twice. For example if I have 3 Imperial Swords and I assign hotkey 5 to them I can dual wield them by hitting 5 twice. Once equips one of those imperial swords in my right hand, a second time equips another in my left. Any items that aren't grouped can't be dual wielded without using two different hotkeys to select them. There is an annoying workaround involving having one previously equipped and switching hands but we're not counting that because its silly.

It's just a limitation of the system they chose unfortunately, the only way it'll be fixed is likely through mods.

I have two complete different swords. I bound one to #1 and the other to #2

I have my Bow bound to #4 and another one to #5

I think, the primary hand weapon needs to be the hot key used I hit the #1 key and both are re-equipped in both hands.

I will test out the Axes and Daggers when I get home. But I’m thinking that the primary hand weapon is the only key that needs to be hit in order to get both weapons equipped again. I may be wrong, but again I will test it when I get home. I do believe when I hit the #2 key only the one sword was equipped.

Also I do not have to hit the same key twice to get them to re-equip.

Nov 17, 2011, 13:31
Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 13:31
Nov 17, 2011, 13:31

Absolutely loving the game so far.. It has many of the same issues as Oblivion but it doesn't detract from the overall experience.. And I have to say, it looks absolutely amazing. Maybe not in an "omdjee this is the highest texture rez I've evar seen!11" way, but the overall art design, landscapes and small details has been amazing so far. Good on them for shipping 7 mill units; proves that you don't need cheap tacked-on multiplayer to move your game if it's good.

Btw, I'm currently playing as a 2h dude.. Does anyone know if the blocking perks like quick reflexed (i.e. ones that don't specifically mention shields) work for blocking with a 2h weapon? Haven't wanted to risk putting points in that tree yet even though 2h blocking certainly improves your blocking skill, so I have 6-7 points saved up at this point

Nov 17, 2011, 13:25
Verno

Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 13:25
Nov 17, 2011, 13:25
 Verno

Not going to be an issue for me... If I ever play the game again, I was considering heavy armor/2hd/smithing (though some comments scare me on this - maybe throwing diff slider higher will offset the OP nature?), and maybe enchanting or some resto (like having a quick heal, and even the base one seems useful enough at higher lvls).

Heavy Armor in general is kind of absurd just because the perks in that tree basically make the tradeoffs between it and Light Armor kind of minimal. Far better armor class, no weight/speed/noise penalties and etc. 2H is great for crowd control but you will take damage so I don't really consider it OP or anything. It's just like any other Bethesda game, if you really want to break it and make yourself godlike then its remarkably easy to do through min/maxing. If you find the challenge going down I would just bump up the difficulty, that's what I did and I'm really loving the game.

Nov 17, 2011, 13:16
Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 13:16
Nov 17, 2011, 13:16

Verno wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 12:55:
I’m not sure why you all are having issues with it. I have two swords both with different enchantments. One with Ice the other with Fire and I’m having no issues at all with it. I haven’t tried an Axe. So I’m not sure about those. I switch back between the swords and my bow a lot and a heal spell. But, I have had some issues with other keys sometimes seemingly getting confused and not working until; I hit either TAB or escape and they work again.

Are they the same sword though? I think you're misunderstanding what people are wanting here, they want a single hotkey to equip different weapons for dual wielding purposes. Try equipping an axe and a sword to the same hotkey, you can't. Any items that are "grouped" under the favorites menu you can dual wield by hitting the same button twice. For example if I have 3 Imperial Swords and I assign hotkey 5 to them I can dual wield them by hitting 5 twice. Once equips one of those imperial swords in my right hand, a second time equips another in my left. Any items that aren't grouped can't be dual wielded without using two different hotkeys to select them. There is an annoying workaround involving having one previously equipped and switching hands but we're not counting that because its silly.

It's just a limitation of the system they chose unfortunately, the only way it'll be fixed is likely through mods.

Plus... I haven't tried this, but say you're dual wielding sword/axe, then you throw on a heal spell (left hand), then when done, you want to go back to the axe. Hitting the axe # will throw it in the sword hand?

Not going to be an issue for me... If I ever play the game again, I was considering heavy armor/2hd/smithing (though some comments scare me on this - maybe throwing diff slider higher will offset the OP nature?), and maybe enchanting or some resto (like having a quick heal, and even the base one seems useful enough at higher lvls).

-Alamar

Nov 17, 2011, 12:55
Verno

Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 12:55
Nov 17, 2011, 12:55
 Verno

Nov 17, 2011, 12:48
Darks

Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 12:48
Nov 17, 2011, 12:48
 Darks

Verno wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 12:42:
Darks wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 12:23:
Actually they do, I have both one handed swords equiped and All I have to do is hit the #1 key and both are re-equiped. I havent had any issues at all with it.

That only seems to work if you have two identical items with the same ID. If you're trying to dual wield a sword and an axe or two swords with different enchantments it doesn't work. It's a limitation of the favorites system unfortunately.

Nov 17, 2011, 12:42
Verno

Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 12:42
Nov 17, 2011, 12:42
 Verno

Darks wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 12:23:
Actually they do, I have both one handed swords equiped and All I have to do is hit the #1 key and both are re-equiped. I havent had any issues at all with it.

That only seems to work if you have two identical items with the same ID. If you're trying to dual wield a sword and an axe or two swords with different enchantments it doesn't work. It's a limitation of the favorites system unfortunately.

Nov 17, 2011, 12:23
Darks

Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 12:23
Nov 17, 2011, 12:23
 Darks

everyone wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 06:41:
Ratty wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 00:55:
I swear some of the NPCs are voiced by Garrett himself, Stephen Russell.
That's because they are.
Darks wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 02:17:
You guys realize that you can hot key weapons and spells in this game with the key pad and the number keys right?
You realise that the hotkeys don't actually work if you want to dual wield, right?

Nov 17, 2011, 12:15
Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 12:15
Nov 17, 2011, 12:15

Cutter wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 09:27:
The actual mechanics aren't great. Again, it's an RPG-lite console game designed for console gamers from bottom to top. The flavour, size, and artwork are enough to compensate for it however and keep things interesting enough to want to see what's over the next hill. It's not as good as Oblivion or Morrowind but it's grander and prettier. I find it amusing people saying it's the best CRPG ever made. Hey, whatever floats your boat, but for me it's not even in my top 10.

I have to agree. The game is beautiful, runs great and the scale is epic but I find myself getting bored with this one real soon. I don't feel taken, though. The game is very polished, aside from the interface. Oh well, back to BF3!

This comment was edited on Nov 17, 2011, 12:54.
Steam: BenRichards

Nov 17, 2011, 11:47
Verno

Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 11:47
Nov 17, 2011, 11:47
 Verno

Sorry for the comment above, it sounded arrogant...
What I tried to say is that I will play it, but will wait some months for the price to come down as every Bethesda game gets better with time (like wine).

I agree with you on some points..

Off topic: Talking about spoilers, i spent 20 ours playing Dark Souls, guessing where to go, what to do, trying to understand (without reading online any faq or guide), and finally gave up. Got a guide because that game makes the effort for NOT telling you almost anything. After using the guide I finished it in 60 hours. I enjoyed the mechanichs and the difficult levels, but not knowing what to do for 20 hours is a joke. Discovering or exploring a world its nice, but figuring out wtf to do is crap. I still have to play Demon Souls....

Oh no worries man, I didn't take it as arrogant or anything. I agree with you as well that there are some games where you almost need the information because the game does a poor job of conveying anything to the player. In Dark Souls though it's deliberate because the developers literally hate us and the game turns into a competition to see if you can outsmart them

Nov 17, 2011, 11:45
Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 11:45
Nov 17, 2011, 11:45

Titus wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 03:47:
jimnms wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 03:02:
My only dialog option was something about overhearing an argument and asking what was going on, which led to him giving me a quest to find something. I had never seen this guy before or overheard an argument.

Some monologs / dialogs the NPC's have trigger quests or extra dialog options, which will stay triggered. You might have overheard something the last time you were in town but weren't wearing your headphones, was afk a minute without pausing, etc.

All the times I've seen a message popup top left corner (Map location added / Quest added etc) I heard some NPC talking about it, some times more audible than others. I actually love the little 'mental notes' you make like that for overhearing / noticing something like that.

This is a really good distinction... Your character can be aware of things that you, the player, are not...

However, in this specific case, you're wrong : ) I'm assuming it's the same occurence as mine, which was, when entering for the FIRST time, and just starting to walk up the main road, a character from way off (no where near me at any point) had this issue. It was the quest to get his family sword from a bandit camp up north.

This is an exception however... Most of these scripted upon visibility dialogues are in buildings, so as soon as you entering, you hear the bickering (the first likely being the trader and his sister).

-Alamar

Nov 17, 2011, 11:37
Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 11:37
Nov 17, 2011, 11:37

Jerykk wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 01:14:
Does nobody read anything anymore? Sigh Hit escape. Go to controls. The #5 and #6 entries say Left Hand and Right Hand. Behind them they say M1 and M2. Switch them around. Tadaaa, bug solved.

I think the issue is that they shouldn't have been mapped like that in the first place. It's completely illogical.

I don't like it, and it took me a few minutes to adjust to, but I think it's quite logical...

Most people are right handed... Most people use their index finger primarily...

-Alamar

Nov 17, 2011, 11:25
Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 11:25
Nov 17, 2011, 11:25

Verno wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 11:17:
ochentay4 wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 11:09:
Im sure Im going to have a better experience than you, as someone said above, will get it cheaper, patched, with DLC and more mature mods in a few months. I really dont get why everyone runs at launch day speccialy on RPG or similar games.

Whatever floats your boat I guess. It's a singleplayer game, there is no competition for who is having the best experience. I'm enjoying myself so I don't really care if you get the game for $5 with a McDonalds coupon, 5 expansion packs. More power to you man. People buy games at launch day because they want to play them, it's pretty much that simple. Some things I'm happy to wait for but great games like this I tend to pick up and play.

I'd also rather not have every aspect of the game spoiled for me over time as information tends to leak around despite best efforts to avoid it. There's something to be said for doing it yourself with no FAQs or outside information, it's been a fun time discovering everything for myself without knowing that X overpowered weapon comes from Y city because I happened to click on a thread and there was some discussion about the game (on topic or otherwise).
Sorry for the comment above, it sounded arrogant...
What I tried to say is that I will play it, but will wait some months for the price to come down as every Bethesda game gets better with time (like wine).

I agree with you on some points..

Off topic: Talking about spoilers, i spent 20 ours playing Dark Souls, guessing where to go, what to do, trying to understand (without reading online any faq or guide), and finally gave up. Got a guide because that game makes the effort for NOT telling you almost anything. After using the guide I finished it in 60 hours. I enjoyed the mechanichs and the difficult levels, but not knowing what to do for 20 hours is a joke. Discovering or exploring a world its nice, but figuring out wtf to do is crap. I still have to play Demon Souls....

Nov 17, 2011, 11:22
Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 11:22
Nov 17, 2011, 11:22

Ratty wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 11:21:
Verno wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 10:51:
Agreed, Min/Maxing Skyrim is a quick way to end your enjoyment of it. A friend of mine powerleveled smithing and hes just stomping around the game destroying everything now.
I haven't even started the main quest or even took on any major ones and I'm pretty much at that point. Archery and Stealth are both close to 90 - haven't really developed any of the other skills yet - and had to up the difficulty to expert already. I think I'm going to crank up the difficulty to max tonight.

I've been just tracing the outside edge of the map, mining all the ore I come across and picking every plant I see. I'm going to start developing my smithing and alchemy Real Soon Now before I start any of the major quests. I'm afraid I'm sabotaging my later experience by making a super character too soon.

Yeah, you kind of are...

Creston

Nov 17, 2011, 11:21
Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 11:21
Nov 17, 2011, 11:21

Verno wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 10:51:
Agreed, Min/Maxing Skyrim is a quick way to end your enjoyment of it. A friend of mine powerleveled smithing and hes just stomping around the game destroying everything now.
I haven't even started the main quest or even took on any major ones and I'm pretty much at that point. Archery and Stealth are both close to 90 - haven't really developed any of the other skills yet - and had to up the difficulty to expert already. I think I'm going to crank up the difficulty to max tonight.

I've been just tracing the outside edge of the map, mining all the ore I come across and picking every plant I see. I'm going to start developing my smithing and alchemy Real Soon Now before I start any of the major quests. I'm afraid I'm sabotaging my later experience by making a super character too soon.

Nov 17, 2011, 11:17
Verno

Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 11:17
Nov 17, 2011, 11:17
 Verno

ochentay4 wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 11:09:
Im sure Im going to have a better experience than you, as someone said above, will get it cheaper, patched, with DLC and more mature mods in a few months. I really dont get why everyone runs at launch day speccialy on RPG or similar games.

Whatever floats your boat I guess. It's a singleplayer game, there is no competition for who is having the best experience. I'm enjoying myself so I don't really care if you get the game for $5 with a McDonalds coupon, 5 expansion packs. More power to you man. People buy games at launch day because they want to play them, it's pretty much that simple. Some things I'm happy to wait for but great games like this I tend to pick up and play.

I'd also rather not have every aspect of the game spoiled for me over time as information tends to leak around despite best efforts to avoid it. There's something to be said for doing it yourself with no FAQs or outside information, it's been a fun time discovering everything for myself without knowing that X overpowered weapon comes from Y city because I happened to click on a thread and there was some discussion about the game (on topic or otherwise).

Nov 17, 2011, 11:09
Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 11:09
Nov 17, 2011, 11:09

Verno wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 08:57:
ochentay4 wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 07:39:
7 million units? now bethesda have no excuse to patch this game as soon as possible. Every Fallout or ElderScrolls have been plagued with bugs at launch. Until its not polished, I will not buy it.

Your loss, it's an amazing game and I'm having a blast with it.

EDIT: it sounded arrogant. What I tried to say is that I will play it, but will wait some months for the price to come down as every Bethesda game gets better with time (like wine).

This comment was edited on Nov 17, 2011, 11:19.
105 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older