Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours?

According to the guesstimate on VGChartz, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim has sold over 3.4 million copies in 48 hours, a figure which does not include digital sales. They say: "59% of units were sold on the X360 (over 2 million copies) and 27% on the PS3, with 14% on PC." Thanks Lens of Truth via Reddit.
View
68 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

48. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 15:02 Verno

Creston wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 14:56:
Bucky wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 12:56:
I just figured out that you hit R to unlock shouts with stored up dragon souls. Every time I'd tried to select a new shout, it had just said I needed a dragon soul. I'd pushed along in the relevant quest lines, killed dragons and then immediately tried to select the shout.....and then 20 minutes ago I accidentally stumbled across how to do it. Bah!

DAMMIT BETHESDA.

/wants to go back home and unlock his Dragon shouts.

Creston

Oh man, you went 40+ hours without knowing that one? Ouch dude Granted its not terribly well explained.

Playing: Hades, Beat Saber, Control
Watching: Uncut Gems, The Good Place, The Office
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 14:56 Creston

I just figured out that you hit R to unlock shouts with stored up dragon souls. Every time I'd tried to select a new shout, it had just said I needed a dragon soul. I'd pushed along in the relevant quest lines, killed dragons and then immediately tried to select the shout.....and then 20 minutes ago I accidentally stumbled across how to do it. Bah!

DAMMIT BETHESDA.

/wants to go back home and unlock his Dragon shouts.

Creston

46. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 14:53 Creston

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 12:25:
Quboid wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 12:13:
But it gets worse. I then get to the Broom Dungeon and never use my Super Broom of Soul Raping, because I'm worried that just around the next corner I'll need it. 80% of the valuable things in my inventory become too awesome to use.

I think "too awesome to use" is more a sign the game is too easy than anything else. If I am ever in a situation where I am going to die and I really don't want to die I will use my best items, but that situation is really rare in games now-a-days.

I actually frequently die because I'm desperately trying to get my heal spell to go off, and I forget about the (not joking) 80 lbs of heal potions that I have with me. I don't know why I even bother with the damn things. I NEVER use them.

Creston

45. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 14:21 Cutter

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 11:42:
Creston wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 11:30:
LOL.

Hey, I only played it for like 42 hours since Friday!

/did put in 40 minutes before work this morning.

Creston
I'm just short of you on that. 40 hours so far. hah. I still haven't gotten very far on the main quest either. Working on the mage college stuff.

I'm sitting at 44 hours atm. Went the Subodai route, which is to say, archer & thief.

Heh, I love the line when guys are close to death and they're running away "Death is overrated!"

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

44. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 14:06 Jivaro

Acleacius wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 11:49:
No wonder Nexus is chugging like a Model A, PC count must be through the roof.

Nexus has been under DoS attacks. Dark0ne posted about it earlier.

43. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 13:42 Fion

Best Elder Scrolls YET! And by far the most stable and bug free Bethesda release ever lol. I love every aspect about it, the crafting, the landscapes, the spell system, the combat, the uniqueness of each 'dungeon' (even though there aren't remotely as many dungeons as Oblivion, Oblivion's were hyper-generic most of the time.)

Game is fantastic, you can really play it how you like. For example I myself spent about three hours (real time) just hunting in a wide expansive area in the mountains. I came across a camp with a cooking setup and just hung around there hunting and cooking stews and exploring. I loved every second of it!

For those who are complaining about the graphics, check out the FXAA Post Process Injection mod. (Skyrimnexus.com seems to be down atm). I suggest if you get it, use the 'low' setting.. the 2nd option as the first replaces the generally gray look with a blue one. You can turn it on and off with the pause button (it makes night rather dark). But overall it just gives all the textures a depth and detail that you'd expect from a modern game.

Edit: I think there is one very good reason why the PC version of the game sold so well. Mods. Because Oblivion was the first Elder Scrolls that saw mass market appeal on consoles. Over the years those players saw just how much the game was improved upon on the PC thanks to modding. Every aspect of Oblivion was made that much better with the mods, and because Oblivion had some serious balance issues (auto-leveled monsters for example) it became a pain in the ass to play at higher levels without said mods.

I mean we all remember in Oblivion being able to kill a goblin at level 2 with three sword swings but by level 30 you still had goblins only by then they were so powerful each fight lasted a full minute and hundreds of individual attacks. Thank's to the great modders on the PC that was no longer the issue.

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 2011, 13:56.

42. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 13:29 Darks

fujiJuice wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 13:19:
The UI still irritates me, not because it sucks with the mouse (I just use the keyboard) but because so much is hidden. I just figured out that you hit R to unlock shouts with stored up dragon souls. Every time I'd tried to select a new shout, it had just said I needed a dragon soul. I'd pushed along in the relevant quest lines, killed dragons and then immediately tried to select the shout.....and then 20 minutes ago I accidentally stumbled across how to do it. Bah!

It should unlock on selection, but to be fair it does tell you at the bottom that R will unlock it.

The UI is a big irritation, especially when it comes to remapping keys. I like how you remap a key and the interface still shows the default key as the mapping and does not reflect what you have remapped it too. That bugs me to no end. Plus you cannot use the Key pad to remap keys either. Iím a left hander and always use the Arrow keys and the Key pad. So remapping keys is essential for me. It drives me crazy that Developers are so close minded and think that everyone uses WASD to play games. Moron Developers!!

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

41. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 13:26 Bucky

The UI still irritates me, not because it sucks with the mouse (I just use the keyboard) but because so much is hidden. I just figured out that you hit R to unlock shouts with stored up dragon souls. Every time I'd tried to select a new shout, it had just said I needed a dragon soul. I'd pushed along in the relevant quest lines, killed dragons and then immediately tried to select the shout.....and then 20 minutes ago I accidentally stumbled across how to do it. Bah!

It should unlock on selection, but to be fair it does tell you at the bottom that R will unlock it.

*loads Skyrim*

Embarassed

Clearly, I'm an idiot. The shouts don't unlock on selection with the mouse, but the information on how to unlock them is given. Thank you for pointing out that I've spent over 30 hours of time in Skyrim with an IQ that rivals a cabbage.

40. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 13:26 Kastagir

Unless you remap 'Ready/Sheathe Weapon' to something other than the default, 'R,' in which case 'R' won't work for unlocking a selection (or anything else) though the UI will still tell you to use 'R.'

Stoopid Bethesda.

39. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 13:19 fujiJuice

38. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 13:18 Kastagir

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 11:23:
Steam almost hit 290k(289k) concurrent users on sunday. Figuring the variety of digital services and all that, PC sales were probably in the 1m range easily.

Quboid wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 11:22:
Except Skyrim requires Steam, so even the 476K people who did buy physical copies will show up on Steam's stats.
Nope. The launcher requires steam, the game itself doesn't. You can fudge down the skyrim stats by simply running the skyrim.exe, it's not encrypted. And doesn't require steam to run.

Do you mean TESV.exe? That's the executable that runs the game without requiring steam (as SkyrimLauncher.exe does). Also, running TESV.exe doesn't overwrite your ini changes, which the Launcher does.

I'm one of the people who purchased the PC version on disk, preordered through Amazon and received on the release date. I was a little disappointed that the game still requires steam (though I knew of this beforehand) and at the skimpiness of the manual. The map is nice, but I honestly don't know why Bethesda even bothered printing DVDs for the PC version. They should have just gone the Steam route all the way. I would have much preferred a PC release like Morrowind or Oblivion - simple disk, no online activation, no DRM. People are still going to buy it in droves because it's quality.

Though, after reaming us with this UI (that doesn't reflect correct key mappings if you change anything), that may no longer be the case.

37. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 12:56 Bucky

I've actually been pretty lucky with loot, scrolls in particular keep coming up big for me. Anything enchanted I tear apart if I can't use it, and all crafting materials get sold. That's the nice thing about being a mage focusing on enchanting--you don't carry around very much. I've only got about 50lbs of gear on me when I've cleaned out my inventory.

36. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 12:48 rist3903

So, yes, some PC gamers are entitled shits.

Apparently I am an entitled shit, because I am holding out for them to fix some mouse issues before I buy this game. Hoping for some user interface love too, but not holding my breath.

I haven't pirated it or anything, I am just keeping an eye on the forums where there is a lot of bitching going on about the aforementioned issues.

35. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 12:47 DG

wtf_man wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 10:08:
[...] While that may be true, the numbers may not be as big as you think. I mean Steam only peaked at 250k or so concurrent users... [...]
Aye but then compare to MW3.

Steam Peak Today numbers at time of writing:
231,443 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
79,252 Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 - Multiplayer

I'm not convinced the stat is useful at telling you anything much further than what it is.

34. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 12:25 StingingVelvet

Quboid wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 12:13:
But it gets worse. I then get to the Broom Dungeon and never use my Super Broom of Soul Raping, because I'm worried that just around the next corner I'll need it. 80% of the valuable things in my inventory become too awesome to use.

I think "too awesome to use" is more a sign the game is too easy than anything else. If I am ever in a situation where I am going to die and I really don't want to die I will use my best items, but that situation is really rare in games now-a-days.

33. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 12:23 StingingVelvet

Digital sales are about 50% of the PC market in the US, but I believe Europe is behind that. I would guess if they sold 400k in boxes on the PC they probably sold 600-700k total, which lines up relatively well with 300k being online at once this weekend.

Great game, deserves the success. Happy to see the PC version selling well, even if the Xbox version sells much more.

32. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 12:13 Quboid

nin wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 12:00:
Creston wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 11:27:
I keep TRYING not to, but then I stumble on another bandit camp, and five minutes later I'm loaded with all kinds of loot again.

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/11/14

Oh God that's so right.

31. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 12:06 Halo

wonkawonka wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 11:36:
Btw, I HATE that they did loot the exact same way as in Oblivion. It's horseshit. Yes, the bandits aren't walking around in Daedric armor, but even so, it's fucking stupid that you can't find any decent loot when you're low level. Isn't that the whole POINT of exploring? That when I find a chest guarded by a puzzle and a Master lock, I get something decent when I open it? Rather than 14 fucking gold and a potion of fucking Stamina???

I'm with you on that. I did once manage to steal an elf bow, but I think it was a special case: it was in the display case of the earl or something like that. I can't think of any other RPG where I had to actually MAKE all my fucking armor and weapons because what I found isn't good enough to match it (and all at less than 20/100 smithing).

I gave up on Oblivion because of this. I like a game where there's risk and challenge. I traveled all the way across the map in a mountain area hoping I could stealth past a massive beast, WRONG it was just more skeletons and bandits and crap loot.

30. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 12:00 nin

I keep TRYING not to, but then I stumble on another bandit camp, and five minutes later I'm loaded with all kinds of loot again.

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/11/14

29. Re: Skyrim Sells 3.4M in 48 Hours? Nov 15, 2011, 11:57 Darks

Verno wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 11:10:
Creston wrote on Nov 15, 2011, 11:07:
And this is why we get a shitty UI.

/mods already in the work.

Creston

Once I fixed the mouse sensitivity problems I didn't really mind the UI. There's a bit too much scrolling but the sub-categories take care of that for the most part. Then again I actually use my houses for storage and don't walk around like a mobile armory so *shrug*

Btw, I HATE that they did loot the exact same way as in Oblivion. It's horseshit. Yes, the bandits aren't walking around in Daedric armor, but even so, it's fucking stupid that you can't find any decent loot when you're low level. Isn't that the whole POINT of exploring? That when I find a chest guarded by a puzzle and a Master lock, I get something decent when I open it? Rather than 14 fucking gold and a potion of fucking Stamina???

I recently found an underwater ruin where there was a glass mace lying on a table. Sweet! So with my Orc warrior playthrough, I run there to go pick up my sweet weapon. Yeah. For my Orc, the mace was Iron.

Actually, ALL of the loot feels pretty shitty. They're obviously using a Diablo like system, where you have a main range of items, and then you can have a few modifiers to it, so an Iron Mace can be a Hallowed Iron Mace of Fire, for example.

Except that in Skyrim, the modifiers are mostly shitty, and there seems to be maybe a dozen of them, and that's it. I can't even fucking count the amount of weapons I've found that "make undead flee."

Is there really NOBODY at Bethesda who understands that part of the fun in a big open-world RPG is going into a very dangerous area, and managing to sneak out with a Daedric weapon, or piece of armor? They fucking knew this in Morrowind?!

I guess we'll have to wait for Oscuro's successor to fix that.

Creston

Your choice if you want to use this or not. but you can use this code to increase your weight limit that you can carry. This code will add to your existing weight. So if your carrying 300 now and add another 2300 with the code you get 600.

player.modav carryweight xxx Use to set the weight you can carry

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

68 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >