Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Skyrim Versus ThreatFire

Long-time friend o' Blue's ^Drag0n^ sends along his discovery of a solution for a problem causing The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim to crash with a "Skyrim has stopped working" message. In his case he traced this back to the use of ThreatFire Antivirus. Here's word:
It looks like the PC version of Skyrim is not something that PCTools Threatfire likes. Threatfire causes the game to crash at the launcher when you hit "play" with no message, other than "Skyrim has stopped working."

How did I figure this out? I had a similar problem with CoD: World at War a while back which made me think Threatfire might be the issue.

The easiest way to fix the issue is to just uninstall Threatfire completely.

You can force-quit Threatfire from the process monitor, but you also have to force-quit ALL other ThreatFire/PC Tools modules to make that work (please note that you will have to reboot or open Threatfire from the Start menu to get it running again after doing this):

(1) CTRL + [RIGHT CLICK] Threatfire in the system tray, and select "exit."
(2) In an administrator-level command window, type "net stop threatfire" (without the quotes)

Note: "Suspending" ThreatFire alone from the systray will NOT fix the problem.
View
53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

33. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Nov 14, 2011, 06:14 Crustacean Soup

MSE is only really on here to prevent something nasty that rides in on some sort of 0-day remote execution exploit (Flash, Javascript, or whatever) from causing havoc, and even then it probably wouldn't save me. But then, neither would anything else, so I may as well go for the least resource-intensive AV. I don't download and run crap from crappy sources.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Nov 14, 2011, 05:33 finga

Marvin T. Martian wrote on Nov 13, 2011, 19:50:
Beelzebud wrote on Nov 13, 2011, 18:38:
Frankly I'm not sure why anyone would be using anything other than Security Essentials at this point. It's free, and it has an extremely light memory footprint.

"It's free" is your first clue that it should be avoided. Anyone who uses a program simply because it is free, needs their head examined.
Stay away.
Look at this noob who bought his web browser.

31. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Nov 14, 2011, 01:15 Mashiki Amiketo

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 14, 2011, 00:53:
5 systems probably have one failure a year on average. Not so much what I'm doing, where's the quality at these mfg plants?
I'd be asking what you're doing. I've had 3 HDD's fail in the last 10 years on personal machines, when I was in the biz 10 years ago it was worse because I'd be seeing a lot of machines out the door. I've still got drives that are working from the late 90's. It's not so much quality, but tolerances.

New drives don't have the give/take the older drives did because the track positions are so close together now. The first thing I'd look at is heat. Anything in the last 3 years don't get above 40C, anything made in the last 5 years, don't get above 50C.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

30. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Nov 14, 2011, 00:54 HorrorScope

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 13, 2011, 23:54:
HorrorScope wrote on Nov 13, 2011, 23:09:
It's all about experiences, but I have more business customers having huge problems with this one. Many systems I touch, are dog slow, look at the process and this app is just eating the whole processor up. I talk the to the customers and it's always the same. Yeah that system runs like a turd. I talk with them I either make a change there or give them a heads up for their IT team. Good for you, but I've had really poor luck with this one.

Well that's interesting, because right now my processor is probably the oldest part of my machine and I'm always fighting for processor power in games. Maybe I will try to shut it off and see if it matters.

You are probably ok, it's regular office workers that don't know squat about computers and this AV on several systems I've witnessed starts hosing the system. Gamer's seem to be much more in tune and clean in comparison.

29. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Nov 14, 2011, 00:53 HorrorScope

Kitkoan wrote on Nov 13, 2011, 23:36:
HorrorScope wrote on Nov 13, 2011, 23:07:
I have ghost backups just in case, in case is usually a HD fail.

How often do you have a HD fail? And what are you doing?

5 systems probably have one failure a year on average. Not so much what I'm doing, where's the quality at these mfg plants?

28. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Nov 13, 2011, 23:54 StingingVelvet

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 13, 2011, 23:09:
It's all about experiences, but I have more business customers having huge problems with this one. Many systems I touch, are dog slow, look at the process and this app is just eating the whole processor up. I talk the to the customers and it's always the same. Yeah that system runs like a turd. I talk with them I either make a change there or give them a heads up for their IT team. Good for you, but I've had really poor luck with this one.

Well that's interesting, because right now my processor is probably the oldest part of my machine and I'm always fighting for processor power in games. Maybe I will try to shut it off and see if it matters.

27. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Nov 13, 2011, 23:36 Kitkoan

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 13, 2011, 23:07:
I have ghost backups just in case, in case is usually a HD fail.

How often do you have a HD fail? And what are you doing?

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

26. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Nov 13, 2011, 23:21 verrul

I use spybot and malware  

25. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Nov 13, 2011, 23:09 HorrorScope

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 13, 2011, 19:53:
I use Microsoft Security Essentials and always have it running. Never had it cause problems with a game. Not the best AV of course, but I somewhat know what not to click on.

24. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Nov 13, 2011, 23:07 HorrorScope

mag wrote on Nov 13, 2011, 22:12:
Though I'll occasionally download a virus scanner to run it just in case, I've never kept one running in more than a decade, and I've never had a virus problem. Just don't be stupid and you'll be safe 99.99% of the time.

Same.

1. Threatfire is Spyware Dr with Antivirus, pretty popular.
2. I now scan occasionally with SuperAntiVirus my pc's.

Security in general is a lot better, '04 it was out of control. I run security on my end as an ever evolving thing. If it gets worse in general I'll bump it up. If things are staying clean I'll do what I do now. I have ghost backups just in case, in case is usually a HD fail.

What I've found is I could still get a virus with an anti-virus and in general any one that I have used as full time protection something else bad has happened. It's like there are sort of a virus themselves.

Fear sells.

23. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Nov 13, 2011, 22:34 Prez

I've had problems with Avast and AVG with games. Mostly L4D and TF2 if I'm remembering right.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

22. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Nov 13, 2011, 22:30 ^Drag0n^

It's somewhat odd, as I run multiple rigs, and the one I happened to install Skyrim on happened to also be the one I still had Threatfire on. In general, it hasn't caused many problems. I can't really say anything bad about it, as it has caugh a page or two off Yahoo! Links my wife visited. On this particular machine, it was running over MS Security Essentials, and both seemed fairly benign until 11-11-11 hit ;-)

That said, I doubt that I'll continue running it over MSSE, as this is actually the third game I've had issues with when running Threatfire. That, added to the fact that Lady ^D^ now has a MacBook Air she does everything on, really means that the marginally better security that the heuristic threat detection offers probably just isn't worth the hassle it gives until you realize what is driving the problem.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

21. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Nov 13, 2011, 22:18 Slashman

mag wrote on Nov 13, 2011, 22:12:
Though I'll occasionally download a virus scanner to run it just in case, I've never kept one running in more than a decade, and I've never had a virus problem. Just don't be stupid and you'll be safe 99.99% of the time.

This is true for me too. I will run a malware scanner every few weeks or so like Malwarebytes, but that's it.

20. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Nov 13, 2011, 22:14 Mashiki Amiketo

necrosis wrote on Nov 13, 2011, 21:20:
I will make sure to avoid Apache/PHP/MySQL and use IIS/ASP/MSSQL.
Don't forget to avoid unix, linux, bsd, beos, and aa whole variety of other OSS projects including modem and router firmwares.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

19. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Nov 13, 2011, 22:12 mag

18. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Nov 13, 2011, 21:20 necrosis

Beelzebud wrote on Nov 13, 2011, 18:38:
Frankly I'm not sure why anyone would be using anything other than Security Essentials at this point. It's free, and it has an extremely light memory footprint.

"It's free" is your first clue that it should be avoided. Anyone who uses a program simply because it is free, needs their head examined.
Stay away.

Just like theatfire (basic version is free) and they are quoting a 2008 review on their web page. Being cheap, puts you and your system at risk.
I will make sure to avoid Apache/PHP/MySQL and use IIS/ASP/MSSQL.

17. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Nov 13, 2011, 20:19 Slashman

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 13, 2011, 19:53:
I use Microsoft Security Essentials and always have it running. Never had it cause problems with a game. Not the best AV of course, but I somewhat know what not to click on.

That pretty much covers it for me too.

Anti-virus software really isn't that critical if you're a generally safe surfer and can resist the 'must-click' impulse. Of course, that rules out 7/8 of the entire internet population right there...

True story: One of our customer service reps once called me over to her PC to look at an email she had with an exe attachment.

Right after asking me what it was and if I thought it was suspicious, she proceeds to double-click on it without waiting for an answer.

Then she was shocked and offended that I got 'upset' about it... Wall

16. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Nov 13, 2011, 20:15 wtf_man

This is why my gaming rig is a "pure" gaming rig, and runs nothing but games... and isn't used to surf the internet (unless you count Steam pages from the client, or GOG). No other software to interfere with the games. I also mostly run it witht the wireless disabled, unless playing an MMO, downloading a game from the store, or updating a game.

My other rig is an iMac. I do everything except play games on it. It's running Sophos AV for OSX, and my Windows 7 virtual machine is running Microsoft Security Essentials (although I don't surf with that either... mainly is used to remote into work).

Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

15. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Nov 13, 2011, 19:59 Mashiki Amiketo

Stay away.
Right. Because as we all know, two of the best programs in terms of threat detection and lower footprint in the last few years have been avast and avg. Both offer free programs for personal use, and both offer free updates for those programs. And of course the programs with the worst threat detection, have been pay. Norton was very bad for several years. Though I hear the 2011 version isn't too bloated.

The only person who should have their head examined is the one who thinks that "free=crap".

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

14. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Nov 13, 2011, 19:54 nin

"It's free" is your first clue that it should be avoided.

Wrong.

53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >