Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim

A few links for those enjoying The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Bethesda's RPG sequel being played by over a quarter-million concurrent players on Steam. We have Skyrim Intro & Gameplay Running on Multiple Monitors, some Performance Benchmarks to see if your rig is up to the game (thanks Acleacius), and, just for fun: Watch A Horse Ride A Dragon In Skyrim (thanks Ant).
View
68 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

48. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 10:27 Tim Collins

1st initial response to UI was....consolitis and lazyness

2nd thought was defending it for its "desire" to streamline

After a few days of using it I acknowledge it is Skyrim's biggest flaw

The best thing about it is its ability to do things in batches, sell all yer items quickly, chug all yer potions(last desperate move before a save reload), or drop a lot of equip.

My character has progressed into a Heavy Armor Bow sneak (anything to do with left/right equipping is avoided till they fix the wonkyness)

Horses actually have balls, they fight back, I can respect that

Dragons are too easy sometimes but not always, depends on if you have help.

I honestly don't how anybody can play with VSYNC turned off, microstudder and tearing even at 120fps(560ti OC SLI, 2700k)

I could go on and on but thats enough for now.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 08:31 elafos

I love the fact I can play with 1920*1080 with a Radeon 4890. 12 hours in, and I have not even started the main quest!  

46. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 08:26 LgFriess

I'm going to bed and waking up thinking about things to do in this game and I know I've only scratched the surface so far. I'm now an obsessive flower picker/butterfly murderer playing with alchemy.

Playing my old e8400, gtx280 at 1920x1200 on high settings with NO problems. My wife is even peeking over my shoulder making comments about how "pretty" the game looks. I find myself looking for places with a nice view.

45. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 08:17 Jerykk

I find myself fumbling at the keys a lot less than with Morrowind or Oblivion. I'm not sure If I could go back to using a Sam and Max interface in my RPG again to be honest, with the whole hover over a picture of something to see what it is and it's properties. I'm able to sort through this one pretty fast. Lack of stats and properties being listed makes it lose some of that old school RPGness but that's a sacred cow worth slaughtering to make it feel more natural (I think Attack speed and reach are still there anyway as far as I can tell, it's just not spelt out for your barbarian brain).

The problem with the UI is the ridiculous amount of scrolling you have to do. Want to check all your skills? You have to scroll. Want to check your perks? Scroll. Want to see the full map? Scroll. Want to check your inventory? Scroll. Want to equip something? Scroll. You probably spend at least 10% of your total playtime just scrolling through menus.

44. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 07:47 Numinar

Yeah, I did come across a bit strong there... I'm like one of those aggressive missionaries who cannot handle how others cannot feel the love of their messiah. "Come on guys! It's awesome! You just have to believe!"  

43. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 06:41 Asmo

Numinar wrote on Nov 13, 2011, 05:39:
As a multi system gamer I've been able to adapt to the UI. I feel sorry for you guys, you seem all stuck on a fairly minor issue if you can get over the INSULT that you're control system of choice was not accounted for.

I find myself fumbling at the keys a lot less than with Morrowind or Oblivion. I'm not sure If I could go back to using a Sam and Max interface in my RPG again to be honest, with the whole hover over a picture of something to see what it is and it's properties. I'm able to sort through this one pretty fast. Lack of stats and properties being listed makes it lose some of that old school RPGness but that's a sacred cow worth slaughtering to make it feel more natural (I think Attack speed and reach are still there anyway as far as I can tell, it's just not spelt out for your barbarian brain).

That's just me though. I genuinely feel sorry for people getting upset, annoyed or being forced to stop playing this game due to the UI. If I was in the focus group though I'd have given it a big thumbs up, console baby that I am.

Last ATI card I ever buy though! Is it AMD or the developers? Do devs just all ignore AMD stuff or is AMD really just that useless? Runs nice but I shouldn't have to tweak out the mouse to get it bearable. It's been a recurring problem in a few games recently.

Also, I take back the props I gave Bethsoft for making a game that only crashes every 3 to 6 hours. It still sucks that it crashes at all! Fix please! Although it's probably my ATI card again...

Yeah, the UI makes the game unplayable in Eyefinity (not to mention the Radeon's get a lot of CTD's and crossfire isn't working so using the eyefin mode means lousy FPS).

So yeah, for some people the UI isn't a minor problem. If you're going to whinge about the occasional CTD, perhaps you'd care to let people effected by the UI put their complaints out there as well...

42. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 05:39 Numinar

As a multi system gamer I've been able to adapt to the UI. I feel sorry for you guys, you seem all stuck on a fairly minor issue if you can get over the INSULT that you're control system of choice was not accounted for.

That's just me though. I genuinely feel sorry for people getting upset, annoyed or being forced to stop playing this game due to the UI. If I was in the focus group though I'd have given it a big thumbs up, console baby that I am.

Last ATI card I ever buy though! Is it AMD or the developers? Do devs just all ignore AMD stuff or is AMD really just that useless? Runs nice but I shouldn't have to tweak out the mouse to get it bearable. It's been a recurring problem in a few games recently.

Also, I take back the props I gave Bethsoft for making a game that only crashes every 3 to 6 hours. It still sucks that it crashes at all! Fix please! Although it's probably my ATI card again...

41. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 05:26 Flo

I'm playing it at 1600x900 with high details on an alienware 14x laptop with a 555m gt. Runs fine just a few very odd slow downs in certain in-door locations which also occur on low details, guess those are driver issues but other than that, it runs great.  

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

40. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 03:00 Jerykk

Really? I'm running a single 5870 at 1080p, everything as high as it can go, plus the Reddit tweaks, and mine is pegged at 60 (only because the vsync tweak seems to not be working). I have yet to see it dip below 60, even with many mobs on the screen in the middle of a city, and tons of effects/action going on.

Or are the 4870s really just that bad?

No, a single 4870 can handle pretty much any console port at 1080p and get a constant 60 FPS. That was certainly the case for Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas and all those games used the Gamebryo engine. As far as I know, Skyrim is just using a modified version of that engine, so performance should be similar. However, for some reason, there's a huge difference in Skyrim. ATI has stated that they're working on a Crossfire profile for the game, so we'll see how much of an impact it has.

Here's a comparison between the 4870x2 and 5870 in Fallout 3: http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5870-review-test/22

39. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 02:37 eunichron

Jerykk wrote on Nov 13, 2011, 01:32:
I don't know why they keep saying "If your rig is up to the game". If it can run on the XBox 360, it should run on your computer if you've upgraded it in the last 10 years.

Unless you have an ATI card. My 4870x2 can manhandle just about any console port out there, including Oblivion and FO3, but it's struggling to get 60 FPS in Skyrim. Ultra shadows alone drops my framerate by about 70%.

Really? I'm running a single 5870 at 1080p, everything as high as it can go, plus the Reddit tweaks, and mine is pegged at 60 (only because the vsync tweak seems to not be working). I have yet to see it dip below 60, even with many mobs on the screen in the middle of a city, and tons of effects/action going on.

Or are the 4870s really just that bad?

Also, just completed the Meridia questline. If you haven't done it check out Dragontooth Crater and you should find the Gem of Meridia in a chest there. It's a damn awesome quest that gives a pretty amazing 1h sword as a reward.

38. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 02:06 Cabezone

The shadows run in software on the CPU core, it's why they look like shit and tank performance. The game only runs on two cores, so anything beyond the AI, like shadows, destroys performance.  

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

37. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 01:40 Mashiki Amiketo

Jerykk wrote on Nov 13, 2011, 01:32:
Ultra shadows alone drops my framerate by about 70%.
SLI isn't working quite right with Skyrim right now. So I'm not really surprised.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

36. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 01:32 Jerykk

I don't know why they keep saying "If your rig is up to the game". If it can run on the XBox 360, it should run on your computer if you've upgraded it in the last 10 years.

Unless you have an ATI card. My 4870x2 can manhandle just about any console port out there, including Oblivion and FO3, but it's struggling to get 60 FPS in Skyrim. Ultra shadows alone drops my framerate by about 70%.

35. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 01:31 Mashiki Amiketo

Creston wrote on Nov 13, 2011, 01:24:
If you want Ultra settings (and believe me, you do!) you want a fairly nice machine.

Creston
Depends on what you mean by nice. A AMD x4-965, with 4gigs of ram and a 550/560 or 6870(or something close to it), and you can run on ultra just fine.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

34. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 01:24 Creston

JohnBirshire wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 23:32:

It will run, yes. But it will look really, REALLY shitty.

If you want Ultra settings (and believe me, you do!) you want a fairly nice machine.

Creston

33. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 01:00 Mashiki Amiketo

Esoteric wrote on Nov 13, 2011, 00:49:
I seriously think this is the best RPG I've ever played.
Without a doubt I'm really damn impressed with it. I might take a break tomorrow and see if I can break down the UI and tinker with it. I'm itching to see what can be done. I just wish they hadn't used flash and stuck to xml.

And the new 285's continue to be a fucking pile of shit. I loaded up the game then proceeded to have no less than 15 TDR's in a row between the game and simply sitting at the desktop. Back to the 275's not a damn problem.

This comment was edited on Nov 13, 2011, 01:29.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

32. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 00:49 Esoteric

I seriously think this is the best RPG I've ever played.  

31. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 00:43 Mashiki Amiketo

Bhruic wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 23:09:
Really? You can kill dragons at level 5? That's a bit disappointing.
Depends. Does a 15min fight of duck, cover, and the help of 15 other guards mean it's disappointing? I died the first 8 times I tried to kill it until I worked out a good strategy. I'm playing at the default difficulty level right now, just to help.

The named dragon was a pain, but it's the only one I've run across so far besides the 'quest starter' dragon.

On top of that, I just had my first CTD, after 7hrs of straight play and 20hrs of gameplay. That's pretty good.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

30. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 00:26 nin

The one that killed my mount was chewing on my horses' head between flame blasts. It looked like a rather deadly combination.

I've also seen a dragon attack a small village, and all the villagers start attacking and chasing the dragon. Suicidal group, those poor villagers.

Seems to be a bit of unintentional humor in this game.

29. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 00:06 Bucky

eunichron wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 23:33:
Bhruic wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 23:09:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 20:33:
have killed two dragons in total, wandered around a bit, and have played nearly 16hrs so far. And I'm only level 5...ah yeah.

Really? You can kill dragons at level 5? That's a bit disappointing.

It depends. There are standard, unnamed, dragons that are pretty easy to kill. Some of the named ones are quite a bit more difficult. What I don't like about them is they rely almost entirely on their breaths, once they land they stop attacking entirely and give you some free hits before taking off again. Would be nice to see them engage in ground/melee combat to make them even more of a challenge.

The one that killed my mount was chewing on my horses' head between flame blasts. It looked like a rather deadly combination.

I've also seen a dragon attack a small village, and all the villagers start attacking and chasing the dragon. Suicidal group, those poor villagers. They did soften up the beastie rather nicely, though.

68 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >