More on WoW Changes

Explanation of 4.3 Balance Changes, Part Two has more on what to expect from the next patch for World of Warcraft (if you missed it, here's part one). This article goes into class and buff changes in Blizzard's MMORPG, offering this overview of their approach to balance tweaking: "In particular, we try to be really conservative when buffing spec B of a class upwards to compete with spec A of the same class. We have gotten it wrong before, and forced a large number of players to swap specs. Ideally we want you to play the spec you enjoy the most and not the one that does the highest DPS, but asking you to continually swap specs to achieve that highest DPS is an unreasonable thing for us to ask."
View : : :
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: More on WoW Changes
Nov 14, 2011, 18:56
Re: More on WoW Changes Nov 14, 2011, 18:56
Nov 14, 2011, 18:56

They majorly missed the boat years ago already, and with each rebalancing effort it only gets magnified (and worse). I quit just 11 months ago and the game has already changed so much I recognize barely half of the spells and talents they're discussing.

Anyway, back to my original point. What they needed to do early on was separate PvP and PvE functions. Many abilities should have one function when used against an NPC target, and a slightly different one when used against a player target. They kind of did that with CC, which is a good starting place, but it needed to be more apparent what the differences are from player to NPC targets, needed to be implemented on more abilities, and the differences needed to be more significant. That's precisely what ArenaNet did with GW and it allowed them to keep the same abilities around and keep them balanced with only minor changes. And the best part is, a PvP nerf need not affect PvE, and a PvE nerf need not affect PvP.

In a brief scan of the article, they think melee dps is fine for PvP, but too low for PvE. So they change "raid buffs" to increase melee attack power by 20%, but ranged still only 10%. Um... no one ever uses "raid buffs" for PvP?? Really? WRONG. The correct answer is to tweak some specific rogue damage talents to increase damage vs. NPCs while keeping it the same vs. players. Simple and to the point. Instead, now melee DPS will be OP in PvP and players will whine about that. Newsflash Blizzard: IT HASN'T WORKED IN 7 YEARS, AND IT STILL WON'T.

As someone else mentioned, the more they "balance" the more they normalize classes, and they're working towards making classes just copies of every other class with the only real difference being ability names.

I'm so glad I quit WoW and I have no desire to ever go back.

Nov 14, 2011, 07:34
Re: More on WoW Changes Nov 14, 2011, 07:34
Nov 14, 2011, 07:34

Fion wrote on Nov 13, 2011, 13:10:
Their inability to balance their game 'years' after release, and their crazy fondness for the nerf stick is largely why I left WoW. I got sick and tired of them completely reworking my fav class (the druid) every six months!

I could not agree more. I quit WoW for the exact same reasons. After the EQ1 druid, the WoW druid was my favorite class. Such a shame Blizzard won't leave well enough alone for more than a few months at a time.

Ah well, I have Skyrim now

Nov 13, 2011, 13:10
Fion

Re: More on WoW Changes Nov 13, 2011, 13:10
Nov 13, 2011, 13:10
 Fion

So WoW is making heavy handed balance changes that will change every class... again. What a surprise.

/sarcasm off

Their inability to balance their game 'years' after release, and their crazy fondness for the nerf stick is largely why I left WoW. I got sick and tired of them completely reworking my fav class (the druid) every six months!

Nov 13, 2011, 12:41
Re: More on WoW Changes Nov 13, 2011, 12:41
Nov 13, 2011, 12:41

In the end, their efforts to please everyone, will please no one.

Nov 13, 2011, 09:04
Re: More on WoW Changes Nov 13, 2011, 09:04
Nov 13, 2011, 09:04

What do you expect? They are normalizing every class. Already almost every class can stun and run fast. Not anymore only those who really needed it because they were squishy.
Its only getting worse. Too much whining by kids who dont have a clue about classes and balance and Blizzard actually listening to them, thus they have no clue either.

This comment was edited on Nov 13, 2011, 09:14.
I have given up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

Nov 13, 2011, 08:40
Re: More on WoW Changes Nov 13, 2011, 08:40
Nov 13, 2011, 08:40

They really need to hire someone who knows a little math and knows wtf they're doing so they don't feel the need to keep changing the entire system every fucking xpac.

Bingo.

I guarantee the new talent system will make balance much worse, especially between PvE and PvP.

They don't even have an answer for Rogues and why a group should bring them to a raid when a Feral Druid can do just as much DPS but will have their support role buffed which will likely be the same for the Monk. Tricks is nearly useless now with the threat buff and their spec raid buff is transferable to other classes/pets so why bring a Rogue if a Feral Druid can DPS, spot heal, and battle res?

I don't know and neither does Blizzard at this point...

Nov 13, 2011, 04:46
Re: More on WoW Changes Nov 13, 2011, 04:46
Nov 13, 2011, 04:46

They really need to hire someone who knows a little math and knows wtf they're doing so they don't feel the need to keep changing the entire system every fucking xpac.

I'm all for new, shiney and better, but Blizzard has turned this thing into a literal gdamned hamster wheel.

Nov 12, 2011, 20:32
Re: More on WoW Changes Nov 12, 2011, 20:32
Nov 12, 2011, 20:32

Well, I believe, it is much easier said than done.

Nov 12, 2011, 15:43
Re: More on WoW Changes Nov 12, 2011, 15:43
Nov 12, 2011, 15:43

I often wonder how long it would have taken them to actually balance each class and spec without having to revamp the system with each new expansion and the logic they have between a shared PvE and PvP talent tree continues to puzzle me...

They're still double-dipping each talent tree with PvE and PvP so they'll end up in the same boat once nerfs and buffs are made or entirely ignored for one end of the spectrum or the other. They keep talking about balance yet the biggest issue which affects balance is staring them right in the face for all these years.

Have you seen the Druid talents? Yeah, any chance some of those talents actually make it to live without being changed will be hotfixed out of the game quicker than the 3.0.1 Ret Paladin buffs and the cycle will simply repeat.

On the healing front, I simply believe they have no clue what they are doing. First, they were totally okay with making new healers have a difficult time being efficient with the new healing model at the start of Cata but now they feel it's too hard and that we're in the same position we were in in WotLK in terms of raid-level healing (spamming spells with lots of mana).

Their solution? Lets do it again and see how that goes...

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 2011, 15:58.

Nov 12, 2011, 14:40
Re: More on WoW Changes Nov 12, 2011, 14:40
Nov 12, 2011, 14:40

So this is where they're going to start restoring the talent trees to something useful?
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older