Skyrim Arrives

The Bethesda Blog marks today's release of The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim, the RPG sequel so highly anticipated that they need not even mention its name:
Today’s the big day! To help celebrate the occasion, IGN got artist Bashir Sultani to pay tribute to the game with salt art. Awesome stuff!

From everyone at Bethesda, we hope you enjoy the game as much as we did making it. Have a great weekend playing!
PC Gamer offers a guide on tweaks for the PC edition to improve graphics, disable Vsync, change FOV, and more and HARDOCP has a performance and IQ preview.
View : : :
141 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 5.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older

Re: Skyrim Arrives
Nov 11, 2011, 13:57
Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 13:57
Nov 11, 2011, 13:57

DedEye wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 11:39:
Wildone wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 11:24:
Yea pretty much the consolers have been holding back dev studios from pushing the boundaries of what can be done. I hope eventually they will just fade away back to hand helds where they belong.

I bought a used 360 for $75 so I could play NHL11. Hooked it up to my 1920x1200 monitor.

The thing can't do hi-res modes without dropping frames, especially when the puck is in your end. I also noticed that player's faces become generic and fuzzy during game play and are only detailed between plays; an effort to increase performance I presume.

Then there are the mods.....oh wait, there are none!

Anyway, best head down to the mall and pick up my copy of PC Skyrim

Get a Xbox VGA cable and maybe a DVI to VGA adapter and plug it into your monitor and you can play in HD without the need for a HDMI cable. That's what I did and just hooked up the xbox sound into the back of the Creative Labs Base for 5.1

Nov 11, 2011, 13:56
Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 13:56
Nov 11, 2011, 13:56

venomhed wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 13:37:
PC = Higher res graphics, easier to patch update, keyboard and mouse control for games like this are superior to any controller, cheaper by about $10, moddable.

I've never found PCs to be "easier to update" than the 360. A message pops up and says "There's an update, want to download it?" done and done.

PC I'm looking at updating my OS, drivers, patches for games...who knows what the latest driver to fix some minor issue in a game is going to do to everything else. Hell, I've had to flash a motherboard BIOS to get it to play nicely with a driver before.

Generally not a huge pain in the ass by any stretch of the imagination...but "easier"? How, exactly?

Nov 11, 2011, 13:53
Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 13:53
Nov 11, 2011, 13:53

Loving the game so far... didn't expect an epic sized dungeon on my first side quest (Trader at Riverwood)... I've literally spent 4 hours from beginning through first side quest... and obviously I've barely scratch the surface of the game.

The UI is a little weird on the PC, but other than that... no complaints, no crashes, no glitches (well other than accidentally kicking objects, like skeleton rib cages).

Well... back to the game!
Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

Nov 11, 2011, 13:37
Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 13:37
Nov 11, 2011, 13:37

PC = Higher res graphics, easier to patch update, keyboard and mouse control for games like this are superior to any controller, cheaper by about $10, moddable.

Nov 11, 2011, 13:35
Dev

Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 13:35
Nov 11, 2011, 13:35
 Dev

Optional nickname wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 13:19:
can't decide whether to go PC or PS3 with this one
PC=mods

Nov 11, 2011, 13:21
Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 13:21

Probably about the first thing I'll do is go into the editor and switch wolves to passive or whatever AI flag the other non-aggressive animals have that makes them run away from you. Durn games continuing the big bad wolf stereotype. (Yup, I'm one of those craaazy environmentalist wildlife advocates who prefers not to kill animals in games)
I think it was on the GameTrailers review I saw they were complaining about how all bandits are basically just monsters who run straight at you too. Hopefully that will be moddable too... Maybe some sort of aggressiveness randomization or something.

Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 13:21

Jerykk

"Except the hotkeyed items/spells are only equipped to your right hand. There should be hotkeys for both hands. In fact, there should be hotkeys for full loadouts. There was a mod for Oblivion that did this. I don't know why Bethesda didn't just copy that. "

I dont have this problem, at least I dont think so or havent noticed. I do have the bug where I cannot dual wield spells unless I manually remove all items from hands and then assign spells.

BUT TRY THIS, as I haven't but read a it might work. Assign an item like a spell to a favorite then a # quick slot (1-10). Push the number twice, it should dual use that spell.

As for weapons, open the item and right click it for one hand, left click another weapon for the right hand. That works for me so far no problem.

Nov 11, 2011, 13:19
Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 13:19
Nov 11, 2011, 13:19

I have a GTX 570, 16GB of DDR3 1866, SSD and can't decide whether to go PC or PS3 with this one. Reason being, I'm welcoming the 3rd person gameplay on a game like this, (I cannot bear that floaty FPS crap that's been going on since Wolfenstein-386, gives me vertigo.

Can anyone care to say which route I should go? I will probably still go PC, because my PS3 is reserved forever for GT5; when I eject that disc, I mourn tears that could cure cancer.

Stop bickering people at PC elitists vs Console kiddies. While you bicker and make your choice, it is left pocket and right pocket to the same corporations. They develop where the money is, and in this day and age, the money is where simplicity is at. Consoles. Thank your lucky stars, that you still can make a choice, with a game such as Skyrim, and may we ALL enjoy the game. (I'm in no rush, gonna wait for patches and drivers to come in for stability)

Nov 11, 2011, 13:17
Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 13:17
Nov 11, 2011, 13:17

Hudson wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 12:19:
How many of you people are really still playing Oblivion with mods? How long did that last you?

About 300 hours, most of it with mods. I never even finished the main quest line, there was just so much to do.

BTW, for the PC players: while this has probably been posted by now, it wasn't last night when I was trying to get my mouse to stop being sluggish. The bMouseHeadingSensitivity setting in the .ini can be changed to improve your mouse control. I set it to .1000 from the default .0500.

I had to borrow a 9800 GTX while my 560 Ti is off for repairs, so my graphics are only on Medium, and it's still gorgeous. I can't wait for my card to come back and I can set the graphics to Ultra High.

Nov 11, 2011, 13:14
Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 13:14
Nov 11, 2011, 13:14

ATI drops the ball? I get a rock solid framerate on absolute max graphics settings on my 5850?

Not really sure how you're getting that performance. Maybe it just sucks on Crossfire cards? The HardOCP benchmarks seem to correlate with my own experience.

And you CAN assign hotkeys. It's even explained in the menu helpfully entitled "HELP" in-game. RTFM, and all that.

Except the hotkeyed items/spells are only equipped to your right hand. There should be hotkeys for both hands. In fact, there should be hotkeys for full loadouts. There was a mod for Oblivion that did this. I don't know why Bethesda didn't just copy that.

Nov 11, 2011, 12:56
Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 12:56
Nov 11, 2011, 12:56

So far the game is great, really enjoying it, but must admit it is evolutionary not revolutionary. It would be the iPhone 4s where Oblivion was the iPhone 4.... I know, dumb analogy but oh well.

Playing on Core i6 2600k, Nvidia 570gtx Ultra Detail, all sliders options maxed, 1920x1080, to give perspective not bragging.

What I like:
Looking out over the landscape and seeing those huge, literally breath taking mountains. They look real to me! Up close the grahpics are hit and miss. The terrain looks good, some building do too, but there are still hard right angles in the world, something that really shouldnt exist then. All buildings should be rounded off, all corners too.

The larger monsters are friggin kick ass, the large spider, the giants are especially terrifying when chasing you around a forrest, the dragon (only have encountered one) is cool. The problems is that the Giants all look the same, they look great, but they are all identical clones it seems. The monsters move cool, the humanoids remind me of Oblivion.

Like the gritty look of the characters, not everyone is all super clean, but still the woman are typically too beautiful and the men are UFC like. Be nice to see fat people, ugly women, skinny people and more dirt and tattered clothes.

The moon is too big. While neat and detailed, the moon is so big it makes the mountains look small, and distorts the view at nights.

Same problem where everyone wants to kill you outdoors. Hate that. The wolves always attack, the bandits always attack. Be nice i they would sometimes size you up and say "Ya, you better get moving". I have seen this a tad with your proximity where a bandit warned me to get out and I stayed a bit too long. He just chased me for a short distance so that was cool. The giants too face you and stomp their feet, so they aren't ouright evil, but would be neat if they had varying degrees of hostility or passiveness.

Too many items as all Bethesda games do. Shit is everywhere!

Too many arrows to find, already have 300 and I am level 9!

No degradation of equipment, but you can improve equipment to a better level, that never degrades. Dumb.

Crafting is lengthy and cool, like that.

Spell effects are great and seem to fit what the effect is.

Companions can't die but they get knocked down and out, but will get up after a few minutes to help again in a weakend state, I like that.

No horse combat or horse wagons. Lame!

Will write more as I play.

Nov 11, 2011, 12:48
Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 12:48
Nov 11, 2011, 12:48

Will you people stop quoting that moron? Jesus, does he literally have to change his name to "I'M TROLLING" before you get it?

Creston

Nov 11, 2011, 12:47
Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 12:47
Nov 11, 2011, 12:47

Rossafur wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 12:43:
Trollllllllll.
Being proud of choosing Skyrim on console is like shacking up with a fat middle-aged chick with psoriasis and stretch marks and a 2-pack a day habit who has long since become set in her ways and then bragging about it because she's low-maintenance and you know what to expect from her. Meanwhile, you could have cozied up to a young slim thing who could be a super model if not for her daddy-issues induced low self-esteem who's eager to please and has a lifetime of learning new tricks ahead of her. Sure she's going to be more work, but worth it, no?

Anyway, yes, I, for one, am still playing Oblivion off and on (with tons of mods). Everything from new armor and weapons to upgraded models and textures, new monsters, completely revamped vampire mod (Unholy Darkness), to new dungeons and quests... It makes it a completely different game, and so much better to look at.

I'm not that into Skyrim, but it does look like the kind of game that would benefit greatly from the PC.

I bounce back and forth with my opinion, right now the pendulum is at "Consoles are fine, but some games you just want to use the PC."

There's something to be said for being able to sit on the couch and use a game controller on a nice TV for some games... without having to worry about drivers / configs or dragging your PC to the next room.

That all being said, if the game requires high performance and eye-candy then I'd rather go with my PC. Perhaps when the next generation of Consoles hit I might play some of those types of games more on them.

Oh, and I have a lot of fun using my XBox 360 controller on my PC... just not for games where I need frantic-precision (like most FPS games).
"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

Nov 11, 2011, 12:45
Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 12:45
Nov 11, 2011, 12:45

Alamar wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 12:32:
You like it on console? Great... I like stuff on PC... have a nice day : ) I am glad that we're both gamers and are passionate about this hobby.

-Alamar

A-fucking-men.

I'm still torn about which version to buy. I split my games between console and PC and this is another one that I see has having a lot of pros/and cons for both versions (at least for me personally).

Pros for console version, I get to play it sitting in my recliner, on my HDTV, piped through my home theatre. My family also gets to watch me play, something my kids and wife both enjoy. Plus there's the whole XBox achievement points that I'm so fond of collecting

PC version means potentially better performance, resolution...possibly prettier in some ways. Possiblility of some cool additions through future mods and whatnot. Major con is that when I play a PC game, I'm more isolated from my family. Can't stand to have people watching while I'm on the computer...my son tries to wedge his head between me and the monitor. I played Oblivion on the PC and never finished it or even played with mods. I know it's a draw, but realistically not sure I'll ever take advantage of it (by then, I'll probably be playing something else anyway)

Frankly, if someone wants to tinker around with playing this on their iPhone, why the hell should I care or think that I'm superior?

Nov 11, 2011, 12:43
Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 12:43
Nov 11, 2011, 12:43

Hudson wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 12:19:
I still have not seen one argument that would convince me to go PC on this title. Not one. Mods? really? See comment below I made. How many of you people are really still playing Oblivion with mods? How long did that last you? Of course for those of you PC jockeys that dont play MMO's because they are too complicated (I think FPS games are the most that you people here can handle) and you cant get into them I might understand, but otherwise mods are pointless

Trollllllllll.
Being proud of choosing Skyrim on console is like shacking up with a fat middle-aged chick with psoriasis and stretch marks and a 2-pack a day habit who has long since become set in her ways and then bragging about it because she's low-maintenance and you know what to expect from her. Meanwhile, you could have cozied up to a young slim thing who could be a super model if not for her daddy-issues induced low self-esteem who's eager to please and has a lifetime of learning new tricks ahead of her. Sure she's going to be more work, but worth it, no?

Anyway, yes, I, for one, am still playing Oblivion off and on (with tons of mods). Everything from new armor and weapons to upgraded models and textures, new monsters, completely revamped vampire mod (Unholy Darkness), to new dungeons and quests... It makes it a completely different game, and so much better to look at.

Nov 11, 2011, 12:37
Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 12:37
Nov 11, 2011, 12:37

Jerykk wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 12:32:
Sigh, ATI drops the ball again. I was wondering why I wasn't able to get 60 FPS unless I ran the lowest settings.

Mods? really? See comment below I made. How many of you people are really still playing Oblivion with mods? How long did that last you?

I put about 300 hours into Oblivion and the majority of that time was spent with mods. Mainly UI, balancing and graphical mods that improved the game. I did the same with Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Skyrim appears to need mods more than any of those, judging by the atrocious UI and the complete lack of hotkeys to equip items and spells. I'm thinking I'll actually hold off on playing until at least those issues are fixed.

ATI drops the ball? I get a rock solid framerate on absolute max graphics settings on my 5850?

And you CAN assign hotkeys. It's even explained in the menu helpfully entitled "HELP" in-game. RTFM, and all that.

See my post below for how to do it.

Creston

Nov 11, 2011, 12:32
Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 12:32

nin wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 11:38:
KataSteel wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 11:21:
Hudson wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 11:16:
30" monitor wow thats awesome! Good for you for living well below your means and saving money for your gaming "rig"

Not sure what century you are living in but I have never seen dime sized pixels. Must be an old PC gamer curmudgeon thing.

Yeah a $1500 monitor is living below your means. Console players are a joke.

Yeah, I was about to say, someone never priced out 30" monitors...

I guess I read this differently than 'you's'...

'Good for you living well below your means and SAVING MONEY for your gaming "rig"'...

Followed up by saying the monitor costs 1.5k... Which implies to me, that someone would have to SAVE MONEY to buy it...

Either way, a lot of stupid in this thread...

You like it on console? Great... I like stuff on PC... have a nice day : ) I am glad that we're both gamers and are passionate about this hobby.

-Alamar

Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 12:32

Sigh, ATI drops the ball again. I was wondering why I wasn't able to get 60 FPS unless I ran the lowest settings.

Mods? really? See comment below I made. How many of you people are really still playing Oblivion with mods? How long did that last you?

I put about 300 hours into Oblivion and the majority of that time was spent with mods. Mainly UI, balancing and graphical mods that improved the game. I did the same with Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Skyrim appears to need mods more than any of those, judging by the atrocious UI and the complete lack of hotkeys to equip items and spells. I'm thinking I'll actually hold off on playing until at least those issues are fixed.

removed
Nov 11, 2011, 12:31
removed Nov 11, 2011, 12:31

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 11, 2011, 13:36.

Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 12:31

jimnms wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 11:30:
Come on people, you know the rules, quit feeding the trolls.

*nods*

Just put the moron on ignore and he'll go away, crying that he only has a console to play shit on.

Creston
141 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 5.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older