Skyrim Arrives

The Bethesda Blog marks today's release of The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim, the RPG sequel so highly anticipated that they need not even mention its name:
Today’s the big day! To help celebrate the occasion, IGN got artist Bashir Sultani to pay tribute to the game with salt art. Awesome stuff!

From everyone at Bethesda, we hope you enjoy the game as much as we did making it. Have a great weekend playing!
PC Gamer offers a guide on tweaks for the PC edition to improve graphics, disable Vsync, change FOV, and more and HARDOCP has a performance and IQ preview.
View : : :
141 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older

Re: Skyrim Arrives
Nov 11, 2011, 15:46
Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 15:46
Nov 11, 2011, 15:46

Even though mods and potentially higher res textures on the PC version is nice, honestly I'd rather have the console (360) version. The reasons are: play on a big LED HDTV (60"+), theater style rocking surround sound system, and sit on a comfortable couch/recliner. The large TV with great sound system is really the key for an amazing experience with a game like this. Plus, with the PC, you need to spend tons of money to make it run at full specs at playable fps. Now, I have already done that, but still, spending tons on my PC every year is getting old as hell.

I think I'll get the 360 version and pick up the PC version on a steam sale in the future (to check out mods and stuff). I am curious how the nvidia 3d vision setup is with this game. I plan on getting a new monitor soon (my current one is starting to act very weird) and I'm thinking a 3D capable one this time around.

Nov 11, 2011, 15:41
Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 15:41
Nov 11, 2011, 15:41

Ya know. The console version can't compare, not a chance in hell. With the tweaks it's even better. I was out in western canada about a month ago. The mountains in skyrim are damn near reminiscent of the ones in banff national park.

I might need to tweak the FoV a bit more but at 90 it's pretty good at 1920x1080
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Nov 11, 2011, 15:23
Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 15:23
Nov 11, 2011, 15:23

nin wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 14:34:
She ran over to GameStop and sure enough, one copy left. It was being held by an employee behind the counter "for a friend." His boss made him give it up for my wife to purchase!

It warms my heart that a lamestop lackey and his friend won't be playing tonight. Kudos!

Hahahaha. The world is a slightly better place tonight.

Edit : Btw, check out Steam's player stats. Ton of people playing Skyrim.

Creston

This comment was edited on Nov 11, 2011, 15:29.

Nov 11, 2011, 15:14
Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 15:14
Nov 11, 2011, 15:14

I tried Destruction, didn't really like it. The melee combat seems quicker than in Oblivion, and the new first-person animations works well. My character is going one-handed/block with archery on the side and a smattering of support magic. I'm actually enjoying combat in an Elder Scrolls game, it's weird.

I'm also playing with a gamepad (this is such a good couch game); aside from not being able to bind weapon "hotkeys" on the d-pad as in Fallout 3, the UI seems perfect. I can see that it wouldn't work extremely well with a mouse though.

It doesn't push my hardware much. It runs about as well as Fallout 3 on maxed out settings, but without the crashes. It looks quite nice though. The world is a lot less bland than Oblivion (not quite as wacky as Morrowind), the weather effects are nice, the faces don't look quite as alien, the items are very nicely modelled/textured/normal-mapped.

I've only wandered into one random cave thusfar (near the starting location), but there was unique dialogue from the bandits inside, which was super cool.

Cutter wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 14:51:
Anyone know how to dual wield with favourites? You can do it with spells, but I can't dual wield weapons without having to go into my inventory and doing it and it's frustrating.

With the pad, it's the same as in the inventory. Left-trigger on one weapon, right-trigger on the other.

Nov 11, 2011, 15:01
Cutter

Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 15:01
Nov 11, 2011, 15:01
 Cutter

Bucky wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 14:56:
Also I'm surprised how much I'm using a bow as I didn't intend to, but it's hard to hunt otherwise so far. Hell, it's hard to hunt anyway untill I get my stealth up. Those elk just take off so fast from so far away.

So far I've rolled a destruction mage and a sword and board warrior, but in both cases I find myself preferring to stealth and use a bow. I'm probably going to roll another character after work with a sneak/archery focus, and then try to stick with one character for a bit.

It's necessary to use a bow unless you're a tank or mage, at least starting out. Fighting those dragur in Black Barrow starting out is suicidal as a rogue type.

Anyone else been clocked by a giant yet? LOL! Fun times.
"Well, he’s not a villain Summer, but he shouldn’t be your hero. He’s more like a demon, or a super fucked up god." - Morty Smith

Nov 11, 2011, 15:00
Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 15:00
Nov 11, 2011, 15:00

OldScho0l wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 14:40:
Stolk wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 14:03:
Sure would be nice to be able to bind them numlock keys for movement. I'd hate to sit in front of my computer playing this game with a 360 controller in my hand.

I know it's a pain in the arse, but you could always rebind them using "Auto hotkey". It's very easy to make the script.

For instance, to set numpad8 to act as w, do the following.

Numpad8::w

Repeat this for all the keys you want to use.
Numpad5::s
Numpad4::a
Numpad6::d

and so on. Just ad the lines to the bottom of the script. It's very easy. Make sure to set the script as active before playing the game.

Good luck.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Nov 11, 2011, 14:59
nin

Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 14:59
Nov 11, 2011, 14:59
 nin

This is an example of "Don't hate the playa, hate the game huge corporation that's trying to become a national pawn shop and won't stack PC games."

I've met some real asshole employees at lamestop, so I have no problems hatin the playa.

Nov 11, 2011, 14:56
Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 14:56
Nov 11, 2011, 14:56

Also I'm surprised how much I'm using a bow as I didn't intend to, but it's hard to hunt otherwise so far. Hell, it's hard to hunt anyway untill I get my stealth up. Those elk just take off so fast from so far away.

So far I've rolled a destruction mage and a sword and board warrior, but in both cases I find myself preferring to stealth and use a bow. I'm probably going to roll another character after work with a sneak/archery focus, and then try to stick with one character for a bit.

Nov 11, 2011, 14:53
Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 14:53
Nov 11, 2011, 14:53

nin wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 14:34:
She ran over to GameStop and sure enough, one copy left. It was being held by an employee behind the counter "for a friend." His boss made him give it up for my wife to purchase!

It warms my heart that a lamestop lackey and his friend won't be playing tonight. Kudos!

Eh, I can't blame Gamestop employees for much of anything. Most of the ones I see are either teens or in their low-20's (perhaps college).

A kid's gotta eat, or at least make money for college, games, or "whatever."

Sure, Gamestop as a company is lame.

But if I were 16 again I'd jump at the chance to work there than some grocery store / convenience store / restaurant / etc. I doubt I'm alone in this regard. Sure, as an ADULT I hate the company and their practices, but as a kid given the choice of pulling weeds or selling video games I'd chose the games.

This is an example of "Don't hate the playa, hate the game huge corporation that's trying to become a national pawn shop and won't stack PC games."

-
"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

Nov 11, 2011, 14:51
Cutter

Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 14:51
 Cutter

Anyone know how to dual wield with favourites? You can do it with spells, but I can't dual wield weapons without having to go into my inventory and doing it and it's frustrating. Also I'm surprised how much I'm using a bow as I didn't intend to, but it's hard to hunt otherwise so far. Hell, it's hard to hunt anyway untill I get my stealth up. Those elk just take off so fast from so far away.
"Well, he’s not a villain Summer, but he shouldn’t be your hero. He’s more like a demon, or a super fucked up god." - Morty Smith

Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 14:51

Good start to our tweaks thread - keep em coming!

Nov 11, 2011, 14:47
Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 14:47
Nov 11, 2011, 14:47

I'm loving the UI, it's much better than Oblivion or Morrowind. No, it does not use just the mouse, or at least I haven't tried it that way. That is because it's an ambidextrous UI. Use the wasd, mouse buttons to assign weapons/spells. It does need some improvements, and maybe once I get a good stash of stuff in a house somewhere the list scrolling will be annoying, but I tend to sell off all my stuff as much as I can so my own inventory is pretty tight.

Crashed twice on me. Once after 3 hours once after a 6 hour marathon of a cousin and I swapping from one character to the other. Runs like a dream, looks gorgeous. Consolized in the best possible way (Almost zero load times, low target platform helps everyone else run it well)>

Also, world designed to stop one noticing pop in and fade. That stuff is still there but the terrain seems to always roll just gently enough to make it happen just out of sight. Yeah!

Nov 11, 2011, 14:40
Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 14:40
Nov 11, 2011, 14:40

Stolk wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 14:03:
Sure would be nice to be able to bind them numlock keys for movement. I'd hate to sit in front of my computer playing this game with a 360 controller in my hand.

I know it's a pain in the arse, but you could always rebind them using "Auto hotkey". It's very easy to make the script.

For instance, to set numpad8 to act as w, do the following.

Numpad8::w

Repeat this for all the keys you want to use.
Numpad5::s
Numpad4::a
Numpad6::d

and so on. Just ad the lines to the bottom of the script. It's very easy. Make sure to set the script as active before playing the game.

Good luck.

Nov 11, 2011, 14:34
Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 14:34

venomhed wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 12:56:
Same problem where everyone wants to kill you outdoors. Hate that. The wolves always attack, the bandits always attack. Be nice i they would sometimes size you up and say "Ya, you better get moving". I have seen this a tad with your proximity where a bandit warned me to get out and I stayed a bit too long. He just chased me for a short distance so that was cool. The giants too face you and stomp their feet, so they aren't ouright evil, but would be neat if they had varying degrees of hostility or passiveness.

This is in the game, you've already seen some of it... You'll find bandits that don't attack you immediately; I've already found a few places where they draw their weapons and tell you to back off, but don't outright attack. Most animals won't attack immediately, either.

I can't be positive since my gear isn't great yet, but things seem to notice how you're equipped, too, and you sometimes get different reactions from people as a result.

nin

Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 14:34
 nin

Nov 11, 2011, 14:31
Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 14:31
Nov 11, 2011, 14:31

For some reason I wanted a physical copy so I sent my wife out to get one.

She stopped to pick it up for me (I'm stuck at work) at Best Buy...they're sold out. Sold out before 10am apparently. She ran over to GameStop and sure enough, one copy left. It was being held by an employee behind the counter "for a friend." His boss made him give it up for my wife to purchase! I found a strange sense of guilt and glee when she told me. Kind of like I stole a kids lunch money, but he was a bully anyway.

Stuck at work for another 5 hours or so and reading these first impressions is driving me crazy. Can't wait to give it a go.

Nov 11, 2011, 14:29
Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 14:29
Nov 11, 2011, 14:29

Crashes every 4 hours or so. Certainly above par for Bethesda games at first release.

NPCs will occasionally blink in and out.

Biggest issue, though, is that the UI isn't designed for a mouse. You can click on one menu item, and it will act as if a menu item like 4 spaces away was clicked instead.

It's dumbed down from Oblivion.

Overall though, I'm liking it. A solid A- game.

Nov 11, 2011, 14:15
Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 14:15
Nov 11, 2011, 14:15

wtf_man wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 13:53:
Loving the game so far... didn't expect an epic sized dungeon on my first side quest (Trader at Riverwood)... I've literally spent 4 hours from beginning through first side quest... and obviously I've barely scratch the surface of the game.

The UI is a little weird on the PC, but other than that... no complaints, no crashes, no glitches (well other than accidentally kicking objects, like skeleton rib cages).

Well... back to the game!

Yeah, that Riverwood Trader side quest is a great introduction to the game. It's also not 100% scripted, as I ran through it with two characters and encountered different undead enemies.

Nov 11, 2011, 14:03
Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 14:03
Nov 11, 2011, 14:03

Nov 11, 2011, 13:58
Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 13:58
Nov 11, 2011, 13:58

I guess I was assuming you had the Steam version.

Seems like some people just have bad luck with computers but I have no scientific data to back it up. My brother touches a computer and in under 30 days it is absolutely destroyed with viruses, 20 tool bars, AV disabled, starts up in 15 minutes, hard drive crash.....

Don't know why. Anyways, I just grab a patch, double click the exe, follow the prompts and wa la, works.
141 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older