More Fallout MMORPG Legal Stuff

Duck and Cover has a follow-up to yesterday's update about the latest legal wrangling between Bethesda and Interplay over a Fallout MMORPG. They offer a response from Interplay to Bethesda's motion in limine. Word is: "Now Interplay has fired back. filing their own motion in limine in order to try and stop Bethesda from producing new evidence in the form of an expert witness that was not at discovery. The expert witness is Thomas Bidaux, former Director of Product Development at NCSoft Europe and now a founding partner at consulting firm ICO Partners. Interplay's lawyer, Mr. Gersh, has attempted to work out an arrangement to depose Bidaux, but Bethesda has been less that cooperative." They offer all the legalese surrounding this. Someone call Denny Crane!
View : : :
3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: More Fallout MMORPG Legal Stuff
Nov 9, 2011, 09:13
Re: More Fallout MMORPG Legal Stuff Nov 9, 2011, 09:13
Nov 9, 2011, 09:13

all they're delaying is the inevitable transition of this becoming Free To Play, then disappearing forever. I love the franchise as much as anybody else, but seriously...come on.

^m^

Nov 9, 2011, 05:27
Dev
Re: More Fallout MMORPG Legal Stuff Nov 9, 2011, 05:27
Nov 9, 2011, 05:27
Dev

Like I said, both sides probably just spamming pre-trial motions right now. Not even the lawyers expect most of these to pass. I think its pretty normal. Beth is being a jerk about not letting them talk to the witness though.

Hump wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 01:13:
Bethsoft obviously made a mistake by licensing Fallout to Interplay because they had no idea that their take on Fallout would be wildly popular. Just chalk it up to experience, perhaps partner with Interplay and get past it. The only people benefiting from this are the parasitic attorneys.
They didn't. Interplay owned the license to everything fallout since they made original games. Beth bought it from interplay. Interplay wanted an INSANE $50 million for MMO rights to what was at the time a failing franchise, so they settled for like $5 million for everything EXCEPT the MMO. Interplay kept the MMO rights which had a lot of strings attached (such as they had to have full development by a date, they had to have $30 million in funding by a date), and even if they did make it, they were to give 12% royalties to beth.

As I said in the other thread, there's no way in heck that interplay did full development by spending $1 million in 4 years on making the game. Stupid interplay was paying Herve Caen the CEO more per year than they were paying to develop fallout MMO. And I don't see any signs of $30 million in funding in their annual reports either.

The latest annual report shows they recently hired another family member of Caen to hold the only other executive position at interplay, pretty sure the Caens are continuing to milk interplay's corpse dry after pounding the company into the ground for all these years.

This comment was edited on Nov 9, 2011, 05:41.

Nov 9, 2011, 01:13
Re: More Fallout MMORPG Legal Stuff Nov 9, 2011, 01:13
Nov 9, 2011, 01:13

Bethsoft obviously made a mistake by licensing Fallout to Interplay because they had no idea that their take on Fallout would be wildly popular. Just chalk it up to experience, perhaps partner with Interplay and get past it. The only people benefiting from this are the parasitic attorneys.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad
3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older