DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta "Mission Accomplished"

IGN quotes DICE creative director Lars Gustavsson on the topic of the Battlefield 3 open beta test. As far as putting the military shooter sequel through its paces, he's making a note here, "huge success":
"Looking at the open beta, for us at DICE it's truly been a huge success," said Gustavsson. "We could have been better in how we messaged this to the community, what we were doing and why it's not as polished as a final demo but there is a reason we called it a beta and not a demo."

"This test was done so we would get as many eyes as possible on the game code to ensure a good release, and that means hammering the back end, seeing that the servers hold up, making sure we get all the telemetry we need, that all the hooks are working and also getting a good first take on the balancing of the game. What is the score progression? How are people doing?

"But of course also Origin and Battlelog, all of these things that we need to get ready for the final ship. So for us it's been really useful and I would really say mission accomplished. Once again, yes, there is a vocal community out there but I wouldn't like to have it any other way. It's dedication and passion when people speak up and there's nothing wrong with passion."
View : : :
73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta
Oct 17, 2011, 14:56
Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta Oct 17, 2011, 14:56
Oct 17, 2011, 14:56

JaguarUSF wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 12:01:
Verno wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 10:59:
I'm pretty weary about the rest
Like what?

Hah, I wasn't the only one that caught that. People on the internet are always tired of new releases, apparently. I myself look forward to new releases, but sometimes I am cautious of them. Or, you know, wary.

Oct 17, 2011, 14:54
Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta Oct 17, 2011, 14:54
Oct 17, 2011, 14:54

Verno wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 14:39:
MajorD wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 14:12:
MOST? I'd be curious to find out how many people 'actually' don't give a #$?@ about the SP game, as for myself, I look forward to both.

As it relates to BF3, I remember reading somewhere, some time ago, that DICE was putting more focus on a better SP experience this time around. Time will tell......

The Battlefield series isn't known for its wonderful singleplayer campaigns, the people who are paying $60 for a cinematic FPS experience will likely buy a Call of Duty game. Hell even the Call of Duty games get their mileage out of the MP.

Well, I guess you and I aren't "on" the same thing, as the issues with RAGE on the PC are well beyond just driver problems, whether it be AMD/ATI or Nvidia. It's quite an embarrasment for id Software really, or sure in the heck should be.....

Agreed with this though, people make really dumb generalizations about AMD and Nvidia. I own an Nvidia card and had problems with Rage until I had newer drivers and Bethesda patched it. Yes AMD isn't known for their wonderful OpenGL drivers but some Nvidia owners had problems too. People see typically more issues with AMD cards because developers don't test against them as often, there are a multitude of reasons why that happens but that's for a different thread.

This was a mis-post: Well, I guess you and I aren't "on" the same thing, as the issues with RAGE on the PC are well beyond just driver problems, whether it be AMD/ATI or Nvidia. It's quite an embarrasment for id Software really, or sure in the heck should be..... and don't know how that happened really.....there must be a glitch in the Matrix. Wink

Anyways, I agree with you that DICE isn't known for their SP campaigns, but I hope this will be better than BC2. I am looking forward to both SP & MP, but mostly MP of course.....

Oct 17, 2011, 14:48
Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta Oct 17, 2011, 14:48
Oct 17, 2011, 14:48

necrosis wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 13:41:

Here is the problem. Dice does not have a good track record when it comes to good releases. This alone lowers my chances of getting the game at launch. Combined with what they have shown me with this demo beta the chance of me buying it is even lower.

Most of BC2's launch problems (and later problems) were with the in-game browser. The only part of the Beta I DIDN'T have problems with was the external browser/Origin, shockingly.

Don't get me wrong- I'm expecting a GB+ sized zero-day patch, but I'm also expecting a playable release.

Oct 17, 2011, 14:46
Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta Oct 17, 2011, 14:46
Oct 17, 2011, 14:46

Because it was a beta, and they wanted to throw 1000's of players at the client and servers. Stress test the hell out of it like every MMO out there does when they do Open Beta's a month or two before launches.

Oct 17, 2011, 14:40
Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta Oct 17, 2011, 14:40
Oct 17, 2011, 14:40

SirKnight wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 14:08:
MajorD wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 12:03:
Hopefully the hoople heads over at id Software will take note, as RAGE may have not been (and still is) such a cluster &#$@ on the PC if they would have conducted a Beta period.

I don't know what you're on, but the issue with Rage is AMD/ATI drivers. At least the one they made public. Using NVIDIA the game is just fine and is quite awesome.

Crap drivers is why I have never, and will never, buy a radeon.

Well, I guess you and I aren't "on" the same thing Wink , as the issues with RAGE on the PC are well beyond just driver problems, whether it be AMD/ATI or Nvidia. It's quite an embarrasment for id Software really, or sure in the heck should be.....

Oct 17, 2011, 14:39
Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta Oct 17, 2011, 14:39
Oct 17, 2011, 14:39

MajorD wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 14:12:
MOST? I'd be curious to find out how many people 'actually' don't give a #$?@ about the SP game, as for myself, I look forward to both.

As it relates to BF3, I remember reading somewhere, some time ago, that DICE was putting more focus on a better SP experience this time around. Time will tell......

The Battlefield series isn't known for its wonderful singleplayer campaigns, the people who are paying $60 for a cinematic FPS experience will likely buy a Call of Duty game. Hell even the Call of Duty games get their mileage out of the MP.

Well, I guess you and I aren't "on" the same thing Wink , as the issues with RAGE on the PC are well beyond just driver problems, whether it be AMD/ATI or Nvidia. It's quite an embarrasment for id Software really, or sure in the heck should be.....

Agreed with this though, people make really dumb generalizations about AMD and Nvidia. I own an Nvidia card and had problems with Rage until I had newer drivers and Bethesda patched it. Yes AMD isn't known for their wonderful OpenGL drivers but some Nvidia owners had problems too. People see typically more issues with AMD cards because developers don't test against them as often, there are a multitude of reasons why that happens but that's for a different thread.

Oct 17, 2011, 14:20
Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta Oct 17, 2011, 14:20
Oct 17, 2011, 14:20

qsto wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 12:16:
Verno wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 10:59:
It was definitely useful to me, I decided to skip the game based on the beta
I'll just leave this here...
Thanks for posting this. It has encouraged me to keep my $40 Amazon preorder. I was a bit worried about the beta complaints and was hopeful DICE would polish it up.
"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

Oct 17, 2011, 14:19
Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta Oct 17, 2011, 14:19
Oct 17, 2011, 14:19

SirKnight wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 14:08:
Hopefully the hoople heads over at id Software will take note, as RAGE may have not been (and still is) such a cluster &#$@ on the PC if they would have conducted a Beta period.

I don't know what you're on, but the issue with Rage is AMD/ATI drivers. At least the one they made public. Using NVIDIA the game is just fine and is quite awesome.

Well said, I’m a diehard NVidia user, always will be. Fuck ATI and their shitty cards and drivers. Never once had any issues with RAGE played incredibly smooth and flawless.
Author of the Neverwinter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.
Now integrated into Steams NWN: Enhanced Edition

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Oct 17, 2011, 14:12
Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta Oct 17, 2011, 14:12
Oct 17, 2011, 14:12

Verno wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 12:59:

Second, most people don't give a shit about the SP game so obviously they would base their decision on how the multiplayer plays.

Oct 17, 2011, 14:10
Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta Oct 17, 2011, 14:10
Oct 17, 2011, 14:10

Here is the problem. Dice does not have a good track record when it comes to good releases. This alone lowers my chances of getting the game at launch. Combined with what they have shown me with this demo beta the chance of me buying it is even lower.

Right, but I'm not suggesting anyone buy it if they didn't like the beta. Taking a wait-and-see attitude makes perfect sense if you have reservations. But I'm not talking about that.

Quite a few people have made conclusions about the state of the final version of the game. We haven't seen it yet. So it's pretty premature to make those conclusions. Wait for the release, and then judge that on what's actually in it.

Oct 17, 2011, 14:08
Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta Oct 17, 2011, 14:08
Oct 17, 2011, 14:08

Oct 17, 2011, 14:06
Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta Oct 17, 2011, 14:06
Oct 17, 2011, 14:06

Mission accomplished? We'll see that after the game releases.

And I'm with Verno and many here, I'm adopting the wait and see attitude on this one. The "beta" didn't leave me with any impression, it was bland as fuck. Same FPS seen a thousand times with a different engine.

Oct 17, 2011, 14:01
Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta Oct 17, 2011, 14:01
Oct 17, 2011, 14:01

siapnar wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 13:54:
Beamer wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 13:03:
Typical DICE game, in any case. Yes, I feel obligated to say that. Man I can't stand the feel of their games.
What is it specifically that you don't like, Beamer?

To me, I find that the player movement is the best I've felt since the original FEAR

I haven't bothered with this game, but Battlefield 2 really introduced the mucky player control and I've felt it present in every one of their games since. That I've played. Since I tend to dislike DICE games I haven't played many of them.

Those that I have still felt mucky, which is bad as I felt like I had to either wait for a vehicle to spawn (which isn't fun) or run to wherever a battle is going on and hope I'm not sniped along the way (also not much fun.)

Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta "Mission Accomplished"
Oct 17, 2011, 14:00
Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta "Mission Accomplished" Oct 17, 2011, 14:00
Oct 17, 2011, 14:00

I'm canceling my Pre-Order.

I was still getting the incredibly annoying sound glitch and couldn't find any response from DICE that it was an issue and is going to get fixed. Maybe it will, maybe it won't.

The Origin/having to have a browser open thing continually took the fun out of the game for me. That's something that won't be changing, and is a pretty large factor in why I won't be picking this up.

Also... because Forza 4 and Skyrim.

I'll check it out again when it's $20 or so and they've fixed the issues.

Oct 17, 2011, 13:55
Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta Oct 17, 2011, 13:55
Oct 17, 2011, 13:55

necrosis wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 13:41:
Bhruic wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 13:14:
Yes how dare people make decisions based on actual play experience, they should observe the version number at all times and instead imagine what retail will be like.

I have no problem with people who have decided to cancel pre-orders based on the beta, so this isn't really aimed at you, just using your quote. There's nothing wrong with deciding to wait to see what the final version is like, and whether they've cleared up a lot of issues with the beta. My only beef is with the people who are concluding the final version is going to "suck" based on the beta. And in that area, Darks is right - none of us have seen the final. Taking a wait-and-see attitude is fine, but it'd be nice if people would lay off the pre-judging. Judge the final product by the actual final product, not conjecture about what it'll be like.
Looks like I will type something afterall:

There is also some back story you need from me. I was in the FFXIV alpha and beta from day one. Look how that turned out. The entire experience has made me a bit more leery about buying games at launch especially when the pre release (alpha/beta/demo) is piss poor. The dev team not listening to their users. Bugs never getting fixed. That sort of thing. Not to mention how PC users have been getting shit on over the last 10 years.

You can also tack on my distaste of Origin and lack of Steam purchase.

With all that the final version could come with 72 female virgins and a lifetime supply of Iron Forge dick pills and I still would not get it at launch.

I’m not saying anyone has to buy a game day one. All I’m saying is that Dice has gone to a lot of trouble this time to make a Single Player Experience. And from everything I’ve seen of the game it looks well worth getting. Plus I did get to see it at E3.

I’m all for the wait and see how it plays out after release. There are always bugs and issues. Not all PCs are made equal.

Me personally, I will not buy the game as long as I have to use Origin. I’m not in favor of using another gaming client to play my games. EA take note. This is how most of us feel.

If and when they make the game available on Steam or stand alone, I will then buy it. Not until then. I want to play Coop in this game, but Origin screwed that over and I do enjoy Single player games. I do not do Death match. Don’t like it, don’t care for it.
Author of the Neverwinter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.
Now integrated into Steams NWN: Enhanced Edition

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Oct 17, 2011, 13:54
Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta Oct 17, 2011, 13:54

Beamer wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 13:03:
Typical DICE game, in any case. Yes, I feel obligated to say that. Man I can't stand the feel of their games.
What is it specifically that you don't like, Beamer?

To me, I find that the player movement is the best I've felt since the original FEAR

Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta Oct 17, 2011, 13:54

entr0py wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 13:45:
I was disappointing that the real MP beta, when they opened up lots of Caspian Border servers the last weekend, overlapped exactly with the largest The Old Republic beta event to date. Those are EA's two biggest upcoming releases this year, why make the short weekend betas compete with each other?

Because it's EA, and they really ARE this stupid.

Thanks for the follow-up post and answering my question, Bucky.

Creston

Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta "Mission Accomplished"
Oct 17, 2011, 13:45
Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta "Mission Accomplished" Oct 17, 2011, 13:45
Oct 17, 2011, 13:45

I was disappointing that the real MP beta, when they opened up lots of Caspian Border servers the last weekend, overlapped exactly with the largest The Old Republic beta event to date. Those are EA's two biggest upcoming releases this year, why make the short weekend betas compete with each other?

Oct 17, 2011, 13:42
Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta Oct 17, 2011, 13:42
Oct 17, 2011, 13:42

I have no problem with people who have decided to cancel pre-orders based on the beta, so this isn't really aimed at you, just using your quote. There's nothing wrong with deciding to wait to see what the final version is like, and whether they've cleared up a lot of issues with the beta. My only beef is with the people who are concluding the final version is going to "suck" based on the beta. And in that area, Darks is right - none of us have seen the final. Taking a wait-and-see attitude is fine, but it'd be nice if people would lay off the pre-judging. Judge the final product by the actual final product, not conjecture about what it'll be like.
I think it does come down to personal experience. I have played so many betas of various products that it's usually pretty easy to tell whether I'll enjoy the final game. The TF2 pre-release beta was incredibly fun and well polished, whereas betas for Crysis, POTBS, and ST:O were poor and the final games little better. After seeing the impressive videos being put out I have to say I was incredibly disappointed by the BF3 beta.

But I'll check out the reviews, I'll go around and see some of my friends play it and I'll wait and see the verdict on Origin / Battlelog. I prefer to play co-op games like Borderlands or less-competitive games like TF2 nowadays. I'm just not motivated to learn the ins-and-outs of every map, class, kit loadout and game mechanic just to be competitive. My experience of the BF3 beta was being killed repeatedly within 10 seconds of spawning; graphical glitches; cumbersome launch procedure (telling you to press Alt-Tab to go fullscreen); a lack of clear objectives; and graphics that were truly underwhelming.

Borderlands and TF2 will tide me over until Borderlands 2 and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. And I can always load up BC2.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Oct 17, 2011, 13:41
Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta Oct 17, 2011, 13:41
Oct 17, 2011, 13:41

Yes how dare people make decisions based on actual play experience, they should observe the version number at all times and instead imagine what retail will be like.

Looks like I will type something afterall:

There is also some back story you need from me. I was in the FFXIV alpha and beta from day one. Look how that turned out. The entire experience has made me a bit more leery about buying games at launch especially when the pre release (alpha/beta/demo) is piss poor. The dev team not listening to their users. Bugs never getting fixed. That sort of thing. Not to mention how PC users have been getting shit on over the last 10 years.

You can also tack on my distaste of Origin and lack of Steam purchase.

With all that the final version could come with 72 female virgins and a lifetime supply of Iron Forge dick pills and I still would not get it at launch.
73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older