RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming

John Carmack tweets about plans for a new texture option in the upcoming patch for the Windows PC edition" of RAGE, id's new first person shooter: "We have a bicubic-upsample+detail texture option for the next PC patch that will help alleviate the blurry textures in Rage." A follow up tweet offers more on this: "@DesignerDon our first test of a higher res page file didn't help much, because most source textures didn't actually have any more detail."
View : : :
149 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older

Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming
Oct 16, 2011, 23:31
Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 16, 2011, 23:31
Oct 16, 2011, 23:31

Yosemite Sam wrote on Oct 16, 2011, 22:28:
As for the trade off, I do not belive that happened because of the limitations of Tech5. It is the result of the game being built to accomodate consoles, and because it is one giant texture redoing that texture in hires to accomodate the superior power of the PC isnt that easy, they have to redo the enitre map, not just a bunch of small pre made textures.

I think idTech5 is limited regardless of whether the target is a console or PC. Even if it was targeting strictly PC's, in order to get a decent resolution for non-repeating textures would involve over 100 Gigabytes of compressed data. Getting that data to a gamer's PC is just not practical yet. And probably not practical for at least 5 to 10 years. Now if they wanted to proceduraly generate a lot of the textures, that would be a different story, but I believe Carmack specifically said they don't do that.

Oct 16, 2011, 23:29
Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 16, 2011, 23:29
Oct 16, 2011, 23:29

StingingVelvet wrote on Oct 16, 2011, 19:58:
Also you can run Origin games without Origin running, making its memory footprint a moot point.
Not with FIFA 12 unfortunately. Having two services that need to be running in the background is very annoying, especially when playing online. You never know when the other one might start up an update, hosing your connection.

I haven't found a satisfactory way to stop that yet. Maybe I should add Origin as a non-Steam game. It's not like I keep it running, unlike Steam.

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 2011, 23:34.

Oct 16, 2011, 23:10
Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 16, 2011, 23:10
Oct 16, 2011, 23:10

I think a lot of people missed out because they talked to an NPC, then never went back. I played it differently, I went out did a mission, went back to town, caught up with the locals, played some games, then tackled another mission. So everytime I came back from a mission the conversations changed, I could go chit chat with people and it was different and related to what was going on...

I did the same thing but having 1-2 lines of dialogue for a few NPCs per story mission isn't terribly impressive, especially considering that you can't choose your own dialogue options.

Oct 16, 2011, 23:01
Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 16, 2011, 23:01
Oct 16, 2011, 23:01

That's a bit of a stretch. NPCs typically have 1-2 new lines for each new story mission you're on. That's pretty paltry compared to Fallout or any other RPG.

RAGE isnt an RPG, so you have how many NPCs in RAGE, and they have different lines based on how many missions, for an FPS thats a whole lot of dialogue.

I think a lot of people missed out because they talked to an NPC, then never went back. I played it differently, I went out did a mission, went back to town, caught up with the locals, played some games, then tackled another mission. So everytime I came back from a mission the conversations changed, I could go chit chat with people and it was different and related to what was going on... eh, Im a perceptive person, lucky for me I guess... I just wish they would bump up the body count big time.

Oct 16, 2011, 22:49
Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 16, 2011, 22:49

Sure Ill point out what you have obviously missed. Did you notice you cant talk to NPCs unless they are actually looking at you, nice touch I thought.

That was actually pretty annoying. I don't like having to wait for NPCs to finish whatever ambient animation they are playing before I can talk to them.

The actual dialogue each NPC has is actually huge, because it always changes based on where you are in the story.

That's a bit of a stretch. NPCs typically have 1-2 new lines for each new story mission you're on. That's pretty paltry compared to Fallout or any other RPG.

With Tech5, if they wanted too you could go from desert, to forest, to snow, to plains to whatever you can think of and have it all in one map, virtually unlimited, they decided it was going to be a desert setting so thats what it is.

You don't need Megatextures to do that. Oblivion, Just Cause 2, Morrowind, NFS: Hot Pursuit and other open-world games have done that using traditional texture systems.

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 2011, 22:55.

Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 16, 2011, 22:49

Well, if I may interject, accusing someone of lying and "making shit up" because they have a differing opinion could be construed as insulting. Try conversing and not condescending - my 2 cents.

That quote you gave is after he accused me of insulting him, after the fact and not related to the post in which he claims I insulted him... I do tend to get a little testy when accused of something I havent done.

Oct 16, 2011, 22:32
Prez

Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 16, 2011, 22:32
Oct 16, 2011, 22:32
 Prez

Since someone brought up Origin and Steam...

I'm trying to be unbiased and give Origin the benefit of the doubt given that it is so new, and, well, Steam absolutely sucked when it was new.

The fact is, however, I am just not liking Origin. Like, at all. And while Steam used to suck, it is so vastly better than Origin that I don't really feel compelled to wait for Origin to get its shit together. Why should I wait for a newcomer to get better when I already have a full-featured, excellent, and complete platform ( made by a vastly better company than EA, I might add) right now? I just don't have a reason. Yeah, BF3, okay. But that's really not a must-buy anymore. I may get it; I may not. But that it requires Origin counts as a negative in my book; it's definitely not something that's going to drive me to NEED Origin.

I insulted you? lol where? Not my style... Like your previous post your just making shit up.

Well, if I may interject, accusing someone of lying and "making shit up" because they have a differing opinion could be construed as insulting. Try conversing and not condescending - my 2 cents.

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 2011, 22:38.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Oct 16, 2011, 22:28
Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 16, 2011, 22:28
Oct 16, 2011, 22:28

Ray Marden wrote on Oct 16, 2011, 19:40:
"Yosemite Sam," the fact that you have to resort to insults speaks immensely of your character and ability to have an adult conversation.

I insulted you? lol where? Not my style... Like your previous post your just making shit up.

We understand the idea of a megatexture, but we are discussing the obvious trade offs that have been made.

Clearly you did not as you clearly stated 100s of low res textures isnt better then 50 hires textures, the game doesnt work that way, its one giant texture. As for the trade off, I do not belive that happened because of the limitations of Tech5. It is the result of the game being built to accomodate consoles, and because it is one giant texture redoing that texture in hires to accomodate the superior power of the PC isnt that easy, they have to redo the enitre map, not just a bunch of small pre made textures.

Again, I would assert that there is a distinct lack of variety and depth to the worlds. How much of the game could be written off as a post-apocalyptic desert wasteland.

I would assert that you really need to look again at whats there. The variety is easily ten fold what any other game has, youre too fucused on the setting. Its set in a post-apocalyptic desert wasteland so naturally the senery is going to be... wait for it... a post-apocalyptic desert wasteland. With Tech5, if they wanted too you could go from desert, to forest, to snow, to plains to whatever you can think of and have it all in one map, virtually unlimited, they decided it was going to be a desert setting so thats what it is.

Admittedly, that is broad and generic, but would give people a fair idea of what this game has to offer. Look at how often the game has you replay the same level or how confined and limited the actual playable area is. You want to go on about the unique megatexture, but I would like to actually explore it and play through it rather than have it be blocked off by one of the many, many invisible walls or foot-high barriers.

Hve you actually ever played an ID game? or any FPS for that matter. They always make you pay for the same territory twice if not more. The only difference is instead of fighting your way in and fighting your way out they let you out at the end and made you do the reverse in another mission. The only reason you notice it is because being mission based makes it so obvious, but youve always had to pay for the same turf more then once, in most games and especially ID games.

Yes, the "outside" area can be one map, but the game is further split up into various other areas where you have to load entirely new data...which often bears striking resemblence to the "outside" area you just came from (or is a single room you have no interaction with)...which the game will likely make you play through a few times...which will likely appear to have a lot of unique world but which is immediately confined by the various invisible walls and arbitrary barriers...

Um so let me get this straight, you are in a wasteland, you enter a building in said wastland and once in the bulding your still in a wastland? I'm outside my house, nice foresty area, when I go inside my house its still located in a nice foresty area, your logic fails me. As for the interior enviroments in the game, almost every single one is unique to that area, the Powerplant, Subway Town, Wasted Garage, Mutant Bash TV, Dead City, The Sewers, Shrouded Bunker, Authority Prison, Gearhead Vault, Distillery pretty much all have thier own unique look.

Yes, you have a limited selecton of NPCs styles and then some minor variants of them. And what makes them unique? The majority of enemies will stay behind one piece of cover, will not chase after the player character, can be easily sniped with various weapons (other than the sniper rifle,) and even verbally announce their retreat, identifying that you have killed an arbitrary number of enemy NPCs and have essentially cleared that section of the level. Or would you like to discuss the other type of enemy NPC that just rushes you and which is easy fodder for the shotgun? Only the mini-boss battles have much energy to them, but again, they are way too easy and straight forward.

You said and I quote "Do we see a wide range of environments? Graphical effects? Enemies?" Too which I listed all the different enemys I could find... and no they ARE NOT just different skins, pay attention when you play because every single one of them has thier own style and animations. As for the AI itself, well Im not gonna get into that, its one the best in the industry, only thing lacking is numbers. If youre going to bitch that a mindless mutant rushes you, well what can I say, they are mindless and they dodge like mofos.

List all the NPCs if you wish. I can talk about how pointless they are, how little they add to the world, how easy the sidequests are, how the story quests are given as an offer when they are mandatory to actually completing the game, how many of them remain in the same place doing the same thing at the same time of the day over and over.

Sure Ill point out what you have obviously missed. Did you notice you cant talk to NPCs unless they are actually looking at you, nice touch I thought. Did you notice that all the NPCs have something different to say based on what mission youre on, or that when you do complete story quests the NPCs move to differeent locations, so no they are not in the same place all the time. So I win a few races in town, go walking around talking to people and they are all commenting on my racing skills... maybe finish a mission and the same people are talking about that instead. The actual dialogue each NPC has is actually huge, because it always changes based on where you are in the story. The story itself, sure it lacked a bit, but the NPCs in the game were brilliant and actually felt like they were living in the same world as me, they were always up on current events.

Again, I would make the case for how the graphical effects - of which you stat the game has "all" of them - are actually utilized.

You mean like walking through a sewer, low fog on the water, steam coming out of pipes, water leaking out of pipes everywhere, electrical circuits shorting out, fire going with smoke and heat distortions all happening all over the place, these levels are more alive then any I have ever seen before.

I am talking more about the artistic design and gameplay implementation than pure technical mertis.

You claim artistic high ground after bashing the single most artistic advance in recent memory, Megatextures, based on the technicality that this particular instance was built for a console?

The great, yet underutilized vehicle mechanic?

Jumps, huge driving areas, enemy cars to fight. Races, Races with weapons, Rally Races (in two different towns covering over 20 events), Mail Missions, upgradable vehicles and four different vehicles to drive, multiplayer racing... what was exactly 'underutilized' again? Were you expecting a full blown racing game to be included? ... I will grant the AI is too easy to beat, and they could have put a lot more cars in the wastland.

The generic shooter mechanic? The lackluster, abruptly ending story? The rough implementation of PC controls?

Wait what, its a shooter from id, you were expecting what exactly? Story ending did suck donkey balls, PS3 controls are perfect

I am unable to find where I stated "texture looks blocky when I stare at walls, game sux lol." Even if completely imagined, I find it troubling you come to this conclusion after the various points I and others have discussed.

If you actually read what I said I wasnt quoting you, it was a sumation of your whole post. Which started off with a rant about textures, then in the following paragraph proceded to continue the texture rant, with the minor exceptions where you brought up the lack of enemys(which I pointed out was BS) Graphical effects (again BS as I pointed out) and range of environments.

You like the game. Great.

Its not perfect, could use a lot more bad guys, tougher driving AI, and a better ending... but it surly isnt the POS you are all making it out to be, and yes you are all WAY too focused on the textures at point blank range, as the saying goes "you cant see the forest for the trees" ... of course Im not taking into any account PC related problems, I have no say on the subject and have not and will not.

I do not think it set any new standards, at least not good ones or without significant, vastly undesirable, trade offs.

So ugly close up textures right?

Even when I do see something that looks really nice or which I can see some potential for, one of the game's many rough edges or harsh juxtapositions rears its ugly head.

Ugly close up textures again...

For whatever it is worth, I have played a number of games and I can think of a number that had better modeling, consistent graphical fidelity,

So textures again?

challenge to the shooting

I agree but thats based on numbers and placement not the actual AI which is great.

better integration of the vehicle mechanic

Name it, an FPS with driving mechnics better then this.

shipped with far less issues

Really? Seriously? Im partly playing my games on a friken console because I got fed up with the BS with PC releases.

had a rich story

Thats a very very very small club, in the FPS genre.

PS dont know if you were serious about thinking I insulted you, or just being a reactionary ass, if you somehow truely think I was trying to insult you I wasnt

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 2011, 22:38.

Oct 16, 2011, 22:03
Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 16, 2011, 22:03
Oct 16, 2011, 22:03

StingingVelvet wrote on Oct 16, 2011, 19:57:
More people than ever buy these things though. They're making a ton of people happy, just not making YOU happy.

Not really. Fable 3 was a dog, Sid Meier was making a facebook game last time I checked and Spore may have made money but it didn't exactly win a lot of long term fans.

Also you can run Origin games without Origin running, making its memory footprint a moot point.

I doubt that will be allowed in the future, I expect most games to be like battlefield 3 and require Origin. After all, EA wants to make money according to you and the best way to do that is to have Origin installed, running and required on as many computers as possible.

Oct 16, 2011, 21:12
Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 16, 2011, 21:12
Oct 16, 2011, 21:12

StingingVelvet wrote on Oct 16, 2011, 19:58:
Fair enough, that's a good point. However, it does start with Windows by default.

banksie wrote on Oct 16, 2011, 19:13:
Actually, you can. Try hitting the weapon number more than once - eg for the pistol hit '2' to select it then keep hitting '2' to cycle the secondary ammo types. This works for any weapon.
Yeah, but you can't see what ammo type you're selecting - it just loads it into the weapon. There was absolutely no reason for the quick-select menu not to allow you to select ammo types for non-favourite weapons.

Also, I think that Ray makes some valid points. It's all very well being able to see open vistas but you can't do anything with it. It's not like Far Cry 2 where you can get out of your vehicle and walk about, swim rivers and find little remote outposts. No, you just have a massive open space devoid of interactivity. The AI is incredibly repetitive. The environments are very similar and you only have two "major" towns in the game - Wellspring and Subway Town - yet even they are very small in comparison to Oblivion and inevitably Skyrim. And the plot... the game was less than 10hrs long, had a terrible ending (I was at least expecting a boss fight based upon earlier encounters), mostly consisted of fetch & kill missions and didn't have any depth. The side-quests were even worse. In Oblivion the side-quests were so engaging and varied I found myself losing the main-quest, sometimes for 5-10hrs at a time - longer than RAGE itself.

One of the biggest problems with the outside is that it's pretty much limited to vehicles. And you're always being chased by bandits / the authority, so you're always rushing from one point to another. Never does the game encourage to see what the world has to offer, to make you engage with the world.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Oct 16, 2011, 20:43
Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 16, 2011, 20:43
Oct 16, 2011, 20:43

Being an id game, I would generally expect good sales.

On a more personal basis, the more casual-style game players I know were less interested in Rage and were instead planning to purchase Arkham City and some game called Battlefield 3.
They already went nuts for GoW 3 and Resistance 3.
Mostly looking towards Skyrim, Uncharted 3, and hoping ToR doesn't suck,
Ray
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Oct 16, 2011, 19:58
Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 16, 2011, 19:58
Oct 16, 2011, 19:58

Bhruic wrote on Oct 16, 2011, 14:04:
And Origin uses 84MB of RAM when idle; Steam users 12MB.

I rebooted (and hence restarted Steam/Origin) less than an hour ago. Steam is using 87MB right now. Origin is using 73MB. Not arguing the rest of your points, but let's not give undue credit to Steam.

Oct 16, 2011, 19:57
Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 16, 2011, 19:57
Oct 16, 2011, 19:57

PHJF wrote on Oct 16, 2011, 11:40:
It's all well and good for a publisher like EA to be motivated by money, but some of us like to think there are developers out there who sincerely want to make good games. "Back in the day" I would read about Peter Molyneux, Will Wright, Sid Meier and eagerly anticipate their products. I think we all know what happened then.

More people than ever buy these things though. They're making a ton of people happy, just not making YOU happy.

Well... in general I mean, who knows how Rage sold.

Oct 16, 2011, 19:55
Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 16, 2011, 19:55
Oct 16, 2011, 19:55

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 16, 2011, 09:24:
No graphics options out-of-the-box. Horrible mouse acceleration in menus. 'Press Enter' to start. Textures optimised for 720p (as stated by Carmack at QuakeCON 2011) and consoles - no consideration made for digital distribution on PC. Poor inventory system (no click-and-drag). Console optimised quick-menu for weapons - you cannot change secondary ammo types for a weapon outside your quick-four. Quicksave actually pauses the game.

Plus Carmack admitted they were too focused on the console version, which is patently obvious at this point.

None of that shit really bothers me, sorry.

Well the graphics options thing did, but they patched that in what, 2 days? That's pretty good.

Oct 16, 2011, 19:40
Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 16, 2011, 19:40
Oct 16, 2011, 19:40

"Yosemite Sam," the fact that you have to resort to insults speaks immensely of your character and ability to have an adult conversation.

We understand the idea of a megatexture, but we are discussing the obvious trade offs that have been made.

Again, I would assert that there is a distinct lack of variety and depth to the worlds. How much of the game could be written off as a post-apocalyptic desert wasteland. Admittedly, that is broad and generic, but would give people a fair idea of what this game has to offer. Look at how often the game has you replay the same level or how confined and limited the actual playable area is. You want to go on about the unique megatexture, but I would like to actually explore it and play through it rather than have it be blocked off by one of the many, many invisible walls or foot-high barriers.

Yes, the "outside" area can be one map, but the game is further split up into various other areas where you have to load entirely new data...which often bears striking resemblence to the "outside" area you just came from (or is a single room you have no interaction with)...which the game will likely make you play through a few times...which will likely appear to have a lot of unique world but which is immediately confined by the various invisible walls and arbitrary barriers...

Yes, you have a limited selecton of NPCs styles and then some minor variants of them. And what makes them unique? The majority of enemies will stay behind one piece of cover, will not chase after the player character, can be easily sniped with various weapons (other than the sniper rifle,) and even verbally announce their retreat, identifying that you have killed an arbitrary number of enemy NPCs and have essentially cleared that section of the level. Or would you like to discuss the other type of enemy NPC that just rushes you and which is easy fodder for the shotgun? Only the mini-boss battles have much energy to them, but again, they are way too easy and straight forward.

List all the NPCs if you wish. I can talk about how pointless they are, how little they add to the world, how easy the sidequests are, how the story quests are given as an offer when they are mandatory to actually completing the game, how many of them remain in the same place doing the same thing at the same time of the day over and over.

Again, I would make the case for how the graphical effects - of which you stat the game has "all" of them - are actually utilized. I am talking more about the artistic design and gameplay implementation than pure technical mertis. Even for the things you tried to discuss, what of the vast discrepancies in texture detail? The great, yet underutilized vehicle mechanic? The generic shooter mechanic? The lackluster, abruptly ending story? The rough implementation of PC controls?

I am unable to find where I stated "texture looks blocky when I stare at walls, game sux lol." Even if completely imagined, I find it troubling you come to this conclusion after the various points I and others have discussed.

You like the game. Great. I do not think it set any new standards, at least not good ones or without significant, vastly undesirable, trade offs. Nor do I think it is a profound blending of components from other games. I have yet to be blow away by the game. Even when I do see something that looks really nice or which I can see some potential for, one of the game's many rough edges or harsh juxtapositions rears its ugly head.

For whatever it is worth, I have played a number of games and I can think of a number that had better modeling, consistent graphical fidelity, fun, depth, challenge to the shooting, better integration of the vehicle mechanic, shipped with far less issues, had a rich story, etc. Rage is not terrible, but it certainly is not what I was hoping for, not what I believe PC gamers were being sold, and certainly not an amazing game.
If you think this game is that good, I beg you to go play better games.
Guessing this post, too, is all about block textures....?,
Ray
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Oct 16, 2011, 19:39
Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 16, 2011, 19:39
Oct 16, 2011, 19:39

I don't care about the publisher - id is able to control how their products are made and sold.

That may have been true in the 90's but not anymore. id isn't Blizzard or Valve. Their games aren't guaranteed to sell at least 5 million units and they don't have any steady source of revenue to fall back on. That's why they agreed to be bought out by Bethesda/Zenimax. Bethesda/Zenimax published the game, so they decided which platforms to release on and which platforms to focus on. Like most other publishers, they decided to focus on consoles.

A PC-oriented approach would still allow for a simultaneous console release, but with a clearly superior PC version at launch.

It would have also resulted in inferior console versions. Porting a high-end PC game to consoles never ends well unless you make significant changes to the console versions. It's much, much easier to focus on consoles and then just port the game to PC, where higher resolutions, AA, AF and framerates automatically make the game look and run better with minimal effort.

This would have only increased the value of the engine to prospective licensees.

id has clearly stated that they are not going to license this engine to anyone outside of Bethesda, so that's a moot point.

Even most indies are looking to pay the rent first and foremost, they just see innovation as the way to do that because they don't have the dev budget to focus on much else.

I disagree. If someone has the ability to code, script, design levels, create art or audio for videogames and their primary goal is to make money, it makes much more sense for them to join an established development studio. Unlike indie developers, professional developers get paid on a regular basis regardless of how much their games end up selling. They also get benefits like health insurance, 401Ks, etc. As an indie developer, you don't get any benefits and you only get paid when your game actually starts selling. It's incredibly risky and doesn't really make any sense unless you're really passionate about creating unique and innovative games. That's why Brian Mitsoda decided to go indie. He could easily get a job at Obsidian or Bioware, since many of his ex-Troika/Black Isle buddies are there, but he decided to go indie instead because he didn't want to bow to the whims of publishers.

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 2011, 19:49.

Oct 16, 2011, 19:13
Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 16, 2011, 19:13
Oct 16, 2011, 19:13

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 16, 2011, 09:24:
Console optimised quick-menu for weapons - you cannot change secondary ammo types for a weapon outside your quick-four.

Actually, you can. Try hitting the weapon number more than once - eg for the pistol hit '2' to select it then keep hitting '2' to cycle the secondary ammo types. This works for any weapon.

I am currently, being just up to subway town, keeping sniper, crossbow, shotgun and assault rifle on the quick switch. But I use the pistol for the regular mobs as fatmammas just carve them up nicely.

They don't really tell you this anywhere and I discovered it by accident but it is in the game.

Oct 16, 2011, 18:11
Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 16, 2011, 18:11
Oct 16, 2011, 18:11

Ray Marden wrote on Oct 16, 2011, 07:13:
But id made a FPS. What was the chance that people were going to look at things up close from a direct, first person perspective? Again, I would assert that id's design was a failure in regards to the technology it was utilizing.

From a broader sense, you're arguing for what? A wide range of low-resolution textures that should only be viewed from ten feet away? Even looking at the argument of variety - which I admit can be a strong one - did id really deliver on this? Do we see a wide range of environments? Graphical effects? Enemies? Fantastic images? A completely original, groundbreaking world? Or is this just a game of brown and gray walls, dust-filled landscape, rocks, and rubble? Great, I have 100 versions of a gray, low-resolution wall. I would have much rather taken 50 higher resolution walls in this case or, putting the resolution issue aside, a true variety of walls: 10 gray, 10 red, 10 orange, 10 blue, 10 graffiti, etc. Further, given how confined this game is, what was the benefit of the so-called variety? Is there no appreciation for the actual gameplay of a game???
Derp derp.
At the end of the day, that is my core issue with the tech. Presuming it is ready for today's hardware, did id actually utilize it effectively? Only towards the end of the game do you see *some* inkling of variety. But again, that speaks to a game held back by its technology, a poor game design, and/or an engine that has such a steep learning curve that the game suffered from it.

Thinking the tech trumped the game (yet again for id,)
Ray

You clearly have no understanding whatsoever of megatextures. Its not more lowres textures giving an impression of variety over less highres textures, it is ONE giant texture, the whole map, ONE giant texture. This is why every last square inch of space in RAGE is unique to that area. Unlike the usual way where every last space using texture x will look exactly the same as every other space using that texture, and not only that but those spaces will all just be a tiny grid repeats of one tiny texture so every square inch will look exactly the same no matter where you look at that texture.

No variety in the maps? really? I have to question if you have actually played this game at all. You realize, the dam structure where you come out, the hagar town, the outrigger encampment(this one place alone would be an entire map the old way), the wasted territory, the crater section, kvashirs lab area(outside), the northern overpass section (where you can see the city) the ghost canyon area, the shrouded complex(outside), the MBTV complex(outside), wellspring(outside), joes swamp section and all the miles and miles of truly unique landscape, is all one single map... but sure its all in a desert setting, well actually thats incorrect too as the crater section is nothing like the rest.

Heh not enough variety of enemy too eh... Standared Mutant, Ranged Mutant, Explosive Mutant, Kraken, Gunner Mutant, Giant Mutant, Slime Mutant, Authority Mutant, Authority Enforcer, Authority Shield Guard, Authority Sniper, Authority Elite, Ghost Bonestick, Ghost Pistol, Ghost Boss, Shourded AR, Shrouded Minigun, Shrouded Heavy, Gearhead shotgun, Gearhead Jet, Gearhead Boss, Jackal crossbow, Jackal Club, Wasted Club, Wasted Pistol, Sentry bots, Sentry turrets, Drones... shall I list the 100+ NPC's in the game too?

Graphical effects? really? seriously have you played this game at all... this game pretty much has every single eye candy effect ever made for any game, ever. Some games have some, other games use different ones, RAGE has ALL of them.

Anyway... I was bored and your post is baseless bitching, could have summed up the entire thing in one sentence, "texture looks blocky when I stare at walls, game sux lol".... On another note, no, higher difficultys do not take away health regen. I'm playing nightmare and regen still functions, just takes longer. Man I love the gunplay in this game, the animations, AI and weapon feel are just perfect.... just need more canon fodder, lots more.

Oct 16, 2011, 17:41
Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 16, 2011, 17:41
Oct 16, 2011, 17:41

Creston wrote on Oct 16, 2011, 16:06:
PHJF wrote on Oct 16, 2011, 16:02:
Every other FPS on consoles runs at 30fps. That's a huge difference, and so they're banking on that particular fact selling them millions of copies.

Except you're forgetting Rage has virtually no bankable multiplayer, or do you think some Twisted Metal Lite is going to bring players online?

I'm not, but Carmack clearly is. He's mentioned the 60fps thing in pretty much every single interview and preview he's done for the game.

Creston

Indeed. He seems to think that 60fps is a magic bullet that will put id on top of the console world. However he's overlooking the fact that a large majority of console gamers don't have any idea who he or id software is, and aren't going to jump all over the game just because of who made it. He also doesn't seem to understand that console gamers don't usually give a crap about the tech behind the games, or even if games run at 60fps. The fact that most console games run at 30fps is proof that console gamers really don't give a crap about those details.

I predict that when everything is said and done, Rage will have sold more PC copies than console copies.

It's not as crazy as it seems at first glance. Valve recently disclosed that Portal 2 sold better on PC than consoles.

Oct 16, 2011, 17:07
Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 16, 2011, 17:07
Oct 16, 2011, 17:07

Bhruic wrote on Oct 16, 2011, 14:04:
I rebooted (and hence restarted Steam/Origin) less than an hour ago. Steam is using 87MB right now. Origin is using 73MB. Not arguing the rest of your points, but let's not give undue credit to Steam.
Fair enough. I simply opened the windows for both applications and closed them, then waited before measuring. Here's the memory usage before and after.

Windows Closed
Windows Open

Obviously if you start to use the built-in browser to display the Steam Store then the memory usage will increase considerably, as even browsers like Chrome can take upto and beyond 170MB per tab. However, if you close the Steam window you can see it drop its RAM usage dramatically, rather than holding onto resources.

I appreciate that Steam wasn't great when it started, nor did it have half the features it does now, but when you compare competing clients you have to compare them to what they offer now. Origin is less efficient, less practical, offers less features and provides overpriced EA games in order to take a bigger cut of the revenue. Meanwhile, Steam distributes a wide selection of titles, offers compelling sales, is working on further improvements to its featureset and offers a much better user experience.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
149 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older