Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Tribes Ascend Beta Next Month

This trailer offers an audio interview with Hi-Rez Studios about Tribes Ascend, their upcoming continuation of the TRIBES series of multiplayer shooters (thanks Evan). This includes word on closed beta testing, as here is what Todd Harris has to say about their plans:

We have a date, you heard it here first. The team is working hard for closed beta to start on Friday, November 4th, so, a few weeks away. We plan on announcing that more broadly next week, and as you may have known if you've been following us, we wanted to start in September originally, that was kind of our original plan, but there were a few adjustments that we wanted to make before beta.

Specifically, some things we've been working on are character progression elements, those were things that weren't in alpha, but will be in beta, we'll maybe get into details on some of those later, and secondly, with the changes or improvements based on feedback from the alpha testing group...Disc jump strength was one, some challenge that people had in chasing down flag cappers which is a big part of the game, basically ability to quickly gain momentum from a standstill, and even overall speed of the game."

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Next Month Oct 9, 2011, 10:03 Byte

Jerykk wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 07:31:
It almost seems like the greatness of T1 was completely accidental.

It was, since skiing was a physics bug basically. That is why they had vehicles for hauling people etc, because that was the original intention in gameplay.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Next Month Oct 9, 2011, 07:31 Jerykk

Yeah, vehicles seriously undermined the utility of cap routes in T2. It didn't help that all the vehicles had regenerating shields and that the only reliable way to take them out was with the homing missile launcher. Thankfully, it seems like vehicles play a less prominent role in T:A, given the smaller maps and the fact that you have to buy vehicles with credits earned through gameplay. Like you, I'd prefer no vehicles whatsoever but this is better than nothing.

It almost seems like the greatness of T1 was completely accidental. Skiing completely changed the game and the community kept discovering other emergent tactics and maneuvers that made the game even better. Dynamix never intended for the game to end up the way it did. They originally intended it to be a much slower-paced game with a heavy focus on vehicles. With T2, they tried to re-emphasize these things at the expense of what T1 so great. T:V tried to appeal to the T1, T2 and casual audiences at the same time and ended up appeasing nobody. T:A seems to be following the same route.

This comment was edited on Oct 9, 2011, 07:39.

14. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Next Month Oct 9, 2011, 07:18 Jackplug

I just hope that I get on the beta so I can atleast steer it towards what all us T1 players wanted.

Also I would love to see servers with no vehicles allowed. T2 was a bore for capping, jump out of jet, take flag and then disc jump then someone is waiting with a hover bike or jet, so frigging easy. Or sneak around back with bike, sneak in and grab flag and get back on bike. As you can see without vehicles would be far more fun...

13. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Next Month Oct 9, 2011, 05:23 Jerykk

Yeah, it seems like they're trying to cater to the CoD/Halo demographic with the health regen, two-weapon limits, unlockables, hitscan weapons, ammo-based sniper rifle, weapon reloading, melee button, etc. It's a shame because those players aren't going to play this game. They're going to continue playing CoD and Halo. Hi-Rez should be focusing on the Tribes community first, everyone else second.  

12. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Next Month Oct 9, 2011, 05:11 Beaner

I like that they mentioned fixing speed issues and that the alpha testers said the speed from a stand still and momentum need to be better. Those are nuance things that made Tribes different from a plain jane FPS with jetpacks bolted on.

Some of the other things they mentioned are a big downer. I really really hate their forcing the fixed classes and weapon limits. Thats terrible. Its not Tribes at all. For those of you who havent been following the game. There will not be any ability to customize your armor to your liking. They will have fixed classes with set loadouts. Additonally you cannot carry certain loadouts. For example as it stands right now you couldnt carry a spinfusor, rifle chain combo. You cant carry a spinfusor, chain, gernade combo. etc. Lastly one of the reasons is because you will be limited to two weapons only. They are really screwing up the loadout system so they can cater the loadouts for the P2P model.

Oh and apparently a majority of the weapons are hitscan not projectile.

This comment was edited on Oct 9, 2011, 05:18.

11. Re: RE: Follow up Oct 9, 2011, 02:07 Jerykk

I'm curious as to how much they are speeding the game up. It looked painfully slow in the videos I watched. About as slow as T2 Base. The maps looked small and very flat as well. Nothing like the huge, rolling hills of T1. Also, I don't think you can leave the mission area (like in T:V), so a large number of potential cap routes are no longer possible.  

10. Re: RE: Follow up Oct 9, 2011, 01:52 ColoradoHoudini

Well, I am interested in this game, and not in any way interested in any of the console'ish/dumbing down that the game has undertaken.
Having said that, the devs are at least listening. We mentioned how Tribes shouldn't have regenning health (this is a fucking nitwit console game for that idiot crowd).. and non-regenning base health (gens/turrets/stations) so the devs said they'd likely put in a server side switch so you could play on a more accurate/skilled server where they don't do nearly as much hand-holding.

the whole unlock bullshit.. well, we shall see. I don't mind spending 40 bucks in unlocks off the bat for a game that i feel is good. So I'll give it a good free try, and if it looks promising, then I'll throw a couple bucks at it for stuff I think I want/need.

9. Re: RE: Follow up Oct 8, 2011, 21:13 Trevellian

UConnBBall wrote on Oct 8, 2011, 16:03:
How about Tribes 1 with new graphics and some tweaks???? I have hated everything anyone has ever added. Tribes 2 was sad to me.

This. Just give me the exact same game as Tribes one with flashy new graphics and I'll be more than happy. I hated 2, I hated Vengeance.

I played the crap out of the original and played the crap out of the 40k Mod.

-C22

8. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Next Month Oct 8, 2011, 21:03 Cornholio

Leveling up for crap, in shooters, should be abolished.

Period.

edit: fuck it, took out the quote.

Also chalk me up as another for wanting a beautified Tribes.

This comment was edited on Oct 8, 2011, 23:22.

7. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Next Month Oct 8, 2011, 20:15 Jerykk

Tribes is about skill, right? I'm going on the assumption that people rise to a challenge.

People "rose to the challenge" by equipping the grappler, which meant that everyone had to sacrifice one of their weapon slots just for that. When everyone is forced to equip a specific weapon just to compete, that means it isn't balanced. It's like the homing missile in T2. Every single player wearing heavy or medium armor used the homing missile, which in turn forced every player to carry flares instead of any of the other, more useful grenades. If a game is well-balanced, every weapon and item is equally viable and nobody is forced to equip anything specific just to compete.

6. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Next Month Oct 8, 2011, 19:14 Des

Hump wrote on Oct 8, 2011, 18:48:
Jerykk wrote on Oct 8, 2011, 18:01:
slightly off-topic: One thing about Vengeance that I thought was a great addition was the grappling hook. It was a skill that could be developed to allow one to change direction quickly. It wasn't unbalanced and it seemed to fit well within Tribes-style gameplay. I'd love to see something similar included in Ascend

Wasn't unbalanced? Are you kidding? It was horribly unbalanced and totally screwed chasers. Tribes is all about momentum and the ability to predict your opponent's movements based on things like speed and trajectory. When your opponent can instantly and drastically change direction, that makes things exponentially more difficult for chasers. In fact, unless the chaser also carried the grappler, he was screwed because there was no way he could change direction as quickly as cappers. Then there was also the ability for cappers to grapple to something and then just fly circles around it forever, making it much harder to hit them and causing stalemates to drag on much longer.

Tribes is about skill, right? I'm going on the assumption that people rise to a challenge. Also, maybe I didn't pay attention but some of the scenarios you mention I never saw (and I played quite a bit of Vengeance MP).

Anyhow. it more than likely wont be in so no use in arguing

Just took the time to read these replies.
Yes interesting on the mechanics of the grapple, but yes I'm assuming its not going to be features in this game.

What I do not want to see but I'm sure it will be in the game,due to Ascend being free to play, is unlocks for weapons, items amour packs etc. They are featured heavily in games like Call of Duty and Battlefield series, but they do not belong in Tribes.

5. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Next Month Oct 8, 2011, 19:10 Des

OH yes, hope I get in  

4. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Next Month Oct 8, 2011, 18:48 Hump

Jerykk wrote on Oct 8, 2011, 18:01:
slightly off-topic: One thing about Vengeance that I thought was a great addition was the grappling hook. It was a skill that could be developed to allow one to change direction quickly. It wasn't unbalanced and it seemed to fit well within Tribes-style gameplay. I'd love to see something similar included in Ascend

Wasn't unbalanced? Are you kidding? It was horribly unbalanced and totally screwed chasers. Tribes is all about momentum and the ability to predict your opponent's movements based on things like speed and trajectory. When your opponent can instantly and drastically change direction, that makes things exponentially more difficult for chasers. In fact, unless the chaser also carried the grappler, he was screwed because there was no way he could change direction as quickly as cappers. Then there was also the ability for cappers to grapple to something and then just fly circles around it forever, making it much harder to hit them and causing stalemates to drag on much longer.

Tribes is about skill, right? I'm going on the assumption that people rise to a challenge. Also, maybe I didn't pay attention but some of the scenarios you mention I never saw (and I played quite a bit of Vengeance MP).

Anyhow. it more than likely wont be in so no use in arguing

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

3. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Next Month Oct 8, 2011, 18:01 Jerykk

2. Re: RE: Follow up Oct 8, 2011, 16:03 UConnBBall

How about Tribes 1 with new graphics and some tweaks???? I have hated everything anyone has ever added. Tribes 2 was sad to me.  

1. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Next Month Oct 8, 2011, 13:05 Hump

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo