Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Battlefield 3 Beta Has "Hundreds" of Changes from Alpha

After visiting DICE last week, VG247 has word that the Battlefield 3 beta test promised for this month is likely still on track, and will include "hundreds" of changes and fixes since the alpha trial edition of the military shooter sequel. "Everything from gun-balancing to the placement of the objectives on the Rush map; we actually moved them around based on [the fact] that the first base was quite hard to take. We are still moving things around on that map to utilise feedback from the alpha. Thatís why weíre doing it. Itís not to market the game, itís actually to test it in a proper way. There are hundreds of things that weíve changed since the alpha, DICE's Patrick Bach says. "Again, to the beta question, we are releasing the beta before the game and we are actually changing stuff based on that before we ship the game, even though you could argue that thatís very late close to the ship of the game, we will still have time to do, for instance, day one patches and changes to the Battlelog that will actually be game-changing." Access to the Windows version of the beta will be is guaranteed for those who preorder the game from the Origin Website.
View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Has Sep 7, 2011, 16:20 Elessar

Respen wrote on Sep 7, 2011, 15:27:
Elessar wrote on Sep 7, 2011, 12:32:
Respen wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 23:18:
These things are not part of the core game play, which I'm not going to get into; They do, however, have an impact on the experience. Unreal Tournament 3's interface was the feature most people attributed to it's failure... at least it HAD an interface.

Okay... so THAT was a bit of a /nerdrage. DIAF Elessar.
So you address my argument with people boycotting a game solely for non-core gameplay component annoyances by complaing about non-core gameplay components. Odd.

And DIAF, really? We're resorting to that level of childishness now?

If I have a criticism about any part of a game that otherwise had me interested, yes, I'm going to voice it and I hope others do the same. If I ate shit with a smile and said "yum" I'm sure I'd be served the same again and again. I'd prefer not to eat shit. I'm not going to get into semantics with you.. it's part of the game.

Childishness? Yeah, I'm deffinatley the one who opened that can of worms here. Sometimes it's called for, and honestly what do you expect? You've contributed nothing, you are an annoying twit that came here to troll, and I'll treat you as such. I hope Battlefield 3 is everything you ever dreamed a game could be and you enjoy playing it.
Still with the name calling I see. It's never really called for, you just decided to stoop that low. Sorry I got you all worked up, you're clearly far more passionate and defensive than I thought you'd be. Your short post didn't give me much to go by initially, it just looked like another senseless raging complaint. And you're right, I didn't necessarily "contribute" anything, but neither do the majority of the posts here. We're all just talking (or arguing) about games, so that's sort of a pointless/desparate thing to bring up.

This comment was edited on Sep 7, 2011, 17:04.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Has "Hundreds" of Changes from Alpha Sep 7, 2011, 16:10 Verno

I get being unhappy with his earlier wording but die in a fire was a bit much you have to admit  

Playing: Beat Saber, Control, Warhammer 2
Watching: Peaky Blinders, Ad Astra, The Office

30. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Has Sep 7, 2011, 15:27 Respen

Elessar wrote on Sep 7, 2011, 12:32:
These things are not part of the core game play, which I'm not going to get into; They do, however, have an impact on the experience. Unreal Tournament 3's interface was the feature most people attributed to it's failure... at least it HAD an interface.

So you address my argument with people boycotting a game solely for non-core gameplay component annoyances by complaing about non-core gameplay components. Odd.

If I have a criticism about any part of a game that otherwise had me interested, yes, I'm going to voice it and I hope others do the same. If I ate shit with a smile and said "yum" I'm sure I'd be served the same again and again. I'd prefer not to eat shit. I'm not going to get into semantics with you.. it's part of the game.

Childishness? Yeah, I'm deffinatley the one who opened that can of worms here. Sometimes it's called for, and honestly what do you expect? You've contributed nothing, you are an annoying twit that came here to troll, and I'll treat you as such. I hope Battlefield 3 is everything you ever dreamed a game could be and you enjoy playing it.

29. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Has Sep 7, 2011, 12:32 Elessar

28. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Has Sep 7, 2011, 10:23 SpectralMeat

I still don't understand what was the reason for this out of the game server browser. I kind of gave up hating on Origin, sure if they want to go that way I'll deal with it, but this server browser thing is just pisses me off. What a stupid design decision.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

27. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Has Sep 7, 2011, 10:17 Verno

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 7, 2011, 08:12:
Wow that sounds retarded

That's changed now according to Dice, it was one of the biggest Alpha complaints. But yeah it was a really poor design decision. The client is very lightweight now and alt tabs instantly, the downside is that you need to install Origin and 2 stupid web browser plugins. I don't know about you but I don't want EA having that kind of access in my browser or system.

26. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Has Sep 7, 2011, 08:12 SpectralMeat

I'm sorry that I don't want to tab out or close a game to switch servers.
Wow that sounds retarded

Steam: SpectralMeat

25. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Has Sep 6, 2011, 23:18 Respen

Elessar wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 14:47:
It's sad that you put so much merit into some outside components of a game, that you're not even willing to see if the GAME itself is any good or not. I could understand if the game was shit, but unless you've played the alpha/beta, you would have no way of knowing. So you're solely basing this off of how bad you think Origin and the server browser may be. That's just being ignorant to rage about something.

I was in alpha, and posted about how I dislike the game in a very civil manner. I fail to see how I'm a raging ignorant, but thank you for your opinion. Maybe I should go around handing out personal attacks to people who disagree with myself, because apparently that is a more appropriate thing to discuss.

I'm sorry that I thought the online server browser felt like a cheezy free to play game to me? I'm sorry that I don't want to tab out or close a game to switch servers. I'll ignore the fact that the game requires 3 seperate exectables to run. I'll try to pretend Steam doesn't exist, and that it doesn't do everything Origin does better. I'll just try harder to like it in general and keep my opinions to myself, just for you.

24. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Has Sep 6, 2011, 19:04 Shataan

"Access to the Windows version of the beta will be is guaranteed for those who preorder the game from the Origin Website"

With early access only given to U.S. preorder peeps. Not real happy bout this.

23. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Has "Hundreds" of Changes from Alpha Sep 6, 2011, 16:05 Tumbler

Meh. I'm excited about RO2. I'm not excited about BF3 but I'll put some time into it when it ships. Red Box rental before buy for me.  

22. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Has Sep 6, 2011, 16:00 Dades

trust me when I say this, they won't be removing our games because it will be in their best interests not to

EA has always done so well at making dumb decisions with their own best interest in mind, we'll just take their word for it.

21. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Has Sep 6, 2011, 15:54 justice7

trust me when I say this, they won't be removing our games because it will be in their best interests not to. If I purchased BF3, and didn't play it for two years and they removed it from my account, you can bet your ass I won't be buying BF4 on their service.

So really, i'm not THAT concerned in the event they screw us on the game; because if they do they've lost my trust and business for good.

20. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Has Sep 6, 2011, 15:05 MoreLuckThanSkill

Well, has there been an official explanation of the 2 year Expiring time on Origin yet?

**EDIT: TL/DR version: yes, ToS updated August 25,2011. **

Aka is it definitively:

1) After 2 years of non use of an individual GAME, you lose that GAME.
[From my reading of the ToS, apparently this IS the case.]

2) After 2 years of non-use of your ACCOUNT, you lose ALL games.
[Also from the ToS, yes this is the case.]

3) Then the killer aspect: even if you use your ACCOUNT, if you don't use each individual GAME(and remember almost all previous EA games are now Origin games), then you lose each of those GAMES, regardless of how active your total Origin account is.
[From my reading of the ToS, this is the case.]

ToS Here

**Search for 24. It is under Chapter 5 Content and Entitlement Availability. ** OLD ToS!?!?

*EDIT*Hrm, holy shit, they seem to have updated this to remove the 2 year thing.

Of course, it still says content/Entitlements (what a horrible legal term) will be removed at their disgression, but the 2 year thing appears to have been removed since August 25, 2011. Hesitant "yay" on my part.

Well, BF3 has gone from being a boycott back to at the very least a bargain bin game...

For the record, old ToS verion from June:
"We do not guarantee that any Content or Entitlement will be available at all times or at any given time or that we will continue to offer particular Content or Entitlements for any particular length of time. We reserve the right to change and update Content and Entitlements without notice to you. If you have not used your Entitlements or Account for twenty four (24) months or more and your Account has associated Entitlements, your Entitlements will expire and your Account may be cancelled for non-use."

New version (August 25th):
"We do not guarantee that any Content or Entitlement will be available at all times, in all countries and/or geographic locations, or at any given time or that we will continue to offer particular Content or Entitlements for any particular length of time. We reserve the right to change and update Content and Entitlements without notice to you. Once you have redeemed your Entitlements, that content is not returnable, exchangeable, or refundable for other Entitlements or for cash, or other goods or services. "

Internet lawyers, feel free to say if the August version is better or worse, it sounds worse, but there is no time stamp expire clause...

19. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Has Sep 6, 2011, 14:47 Elessar

Respen wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 14:05:
Unless the changes involve an in game server browser instead of the god aweful web based one and preferably steam support I'm not interested. It's sad that bad decisions and politics have ruined this game for me, but they have.
It's sad that you put so much merit into some outside components of a game, that you're not even willing to see if the GAME itself is any good or not. I could understand if the game was shit, but unless you've played the alpha/beta, you would have no way of knowing. So you're solely basing this off of how bad you think Origin and the server browser may be. That's just being ignorant to rage about something.

18. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Has Sep 6, 2011, 14:45 Verno

briktal wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 14:41:
I thought the web server browser was generally considered better than any in-game server browser DICE had ever made. I don't actually know because I only used the quick join button.

It is for sure but that bar is pretty low considering the state of BF server browsers over the years. Even the BC2 one after the patches would be best described as clunky. I didn't mind Battlelog personally because it's functional and even has a few good ideas but I don't care for installing 2 separate browser plugins and still requiring the use of Origin.

17. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Has Sep 6, 2011, 14:41 briktal

Respen wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 14:05:
Unless the changes involve an in game server browser instead of the god aweful web based one and preferably steam support I'm not interested. It's sad that bad decisions and politics have ruined this game for me, but they have.

I thought the web server browser was generally considered better than any in-game server browser DICE had ever made. I don't actually know because I only used the quick join button.

16. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Has "Hundreds" of Changes from Alpha Sep 6, 2011, 14:33 space captain

too much shenanigans on this one.. im on the fence till i see a bunch of reviews  

15. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Has "Hundreds" of Changes from Alpha Sep 6, 2011, 14:18 DangerDog

I guess we'll have to wait till it's released to beta test the other maps included with the game.

Operation Metro again for the beta it sounds like, hope they have at least one conquest map in there too.

14. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Has Sep 6, 2011, 14:05 Respen

13. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Has Sep 6, 2011, 13:54 Verno

Origin stuff

Origin itself isn't even bad per se, it's just very barebones and doesn't really have feature parity with other clients like Steam. I'm more concerned with the tertiary support stuff related to BF3. In terms of BF3 itself though the alpha map they chose was very uninspired in design, hopefully the beta is more ambitious. BC2 changed a lot from beta to retail so hopefully the situation is similar here.

Sure you can like RO2 more and all that, but drawing comparisons between the bf3 alpha and the RO2 release candidate? Thats just lame

And for the record, thats what i meant. Bashing BF3 based on its Alpha is lame as hell

Discussion that you disagree with isn't the same thing as bashing (I didn't even make that post in this thread) and people are going to relate their experiences with the products regardless of what label the developer puts on them.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >