Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

On Battlefield 3 Unlocks

Battleblog #5 on the Battlefield Blog talks about the unlocks and rewards in Battlefield 3, saying there are "years worth" of such perks to be earned in DICE's upcoming military shooter sequel. Here's a bit:
Back in 2005, Battlefield 2 was one of the first shooters to introduce a deep persistence system to add that extra layer of tasty rewards and unlocks to keep players returning to the battlefield for hundreds of hours. With Battlefield 3, we are pulling all the stops. Compared to Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Battlefield 3 will have more than 10 times the hardware unlocks spread over weapons, weapons attachments, gadgets, and a huge unlock tree for vehicles alone.

Skill and dedication equal rewards
On top of these ingame hardware items, players will also be richly rewarded with medals, ribbons and service stars displaying their skill, commitment, and teamplay prowess. You will be rewarded handsomely in Battlefield 3 for exemplary skill, such as capturing X amount of bases in one round. Excellent teamplayers who keep the teamís vehicles in mint condition and revive fallen comrades will not go unnoticed either. These type of skill-driven rewards are typically handed out in the form of ribbons, and good players can often get more than one ribbon in a single round.
View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: On Battlefield 3 Unlocks Aug 7, 2011, 19:33 Marvin T. Martian

Played the alpha---it's little more than a generic run gun and shoot--looks like the BF franchise is going in to the crapper. How sad.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: On Battlefield 3 Unlocks Aug 7, 2011, 04:42 spindoctor

Teddy wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 20:22:

True, but the hour for the medkit was still idiotic. I have to agree with anyone complaining about that one. What point is there in calling it a medic class if it's not allowed to heal anyone until they've killed enough people to do it?

Support classes should have their basic support options available right from the get go, so that they can... you know... support their team and earn points that way rather than force them into an assault role for the first level or two of gameplay and only then allow them to do what they're meant to do.

It was a bad call by Dice all around.

I agree. This was one of the really stupid decisions that Dice took for the design of BC2. I hope they don't repeat it in BF3.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

33. Re: On Battlefield 3 Unlocks Aug 7, 2011, 04:23 Retired

I actually didn't have a problem with the pace of the kits. It started everyone on the same playing field, and then once you got some tactics down, teamplay down, squad play down, etc., they rewarded you with being a better squadmate/team member by healing, giving ammo, and repairing.

It is all based on a curve, and I have zero problem with it.

It would be chaos if everyone had everything - and that would be dumb.

32. Re: On Battlefield 3 Unlocks Aug 7, 2011, 01:13 Koshmar

DangerDog wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 18:12:
Sacrelicious wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 16:20:
You can repair and revive right from the start in BF3 Shhh

Could have swore I had to "unlock" the revive ability.

maybe not.

edit: no, it was the medic "bag" that I'm thinking of.

I'm talking about the BF3 alpha, you're absolutely right about BC2, both the medic and the eng started out without the tools of their trade. Honestly in the BF3 alpha, levels seemed to come a bit slower than in BC2 especially class levels, I'm hoping they just had it cranked up for the alpha.

31. Re: On Battlefield 3 Unlocks Aug 7, 2011, 00:49 Krovven

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 18:01:
Its amazing how many people can NOT fly a helicopter

I'll assume you are talking about BC2. They completely gimped the helicopter controls. Supports a mouse & gamepad, but doesnt support a joystick? Really fucking smart.

All I did in BFV and BF2 was fly the helicopters, and did it well. cant do shit in BC2. Im hoping they have joystick support in BF3.

30. Re: On Battlefield 3 Unlocks Aug 6, 2011, 22:10 Retired

It's funny to me that people honestly don't remember. THe "Great ol gameplay and FUN" included unlocks in BF2 (and all of it's expansions), BF2142, Bad Company, Bad Company 2 and now Battlefield 3.

I do remember actually - but again the unlocks in BF2 were worthless. The vanilla weapons were just fine. I haven't maxed out my BF2 players, and yet I am always on top of the leaderboard, have the most caps, etc.

The only class that it helped was the sniper. But only newbs snipe - as it isn't a game that it helps with - it is all about flag caps.

29. Re: On Battlefield 3 Unlocks Aug 6, 2011, 20:32 Teddy

HoSpanky wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 16:00:
Also seeing that "tons of vehicle unlocks" as me running up to a tank and being told I can't use it until I log 300 hours on the ATV.

Negative. The Vehicle unlocks are customizations of the vehicles themselves. Being able to swap out certain weapon systems for others and whatnot.

Regardless of how much you've played, and how much you've accomplished, you can get into any vehicle and use the weapons it comes with by default.

28. Re: On Battlefield 3 Unlocks Aug 6, 2011, 20:22 Teddy

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 18:35:
Oh goodie. Because I was COMPLETELY THRILLED in BC2 when I started up as a Medic and discovered I WASN'T ALLOWED TO HEAL ANYBODY. Oh, must be something goofy, let me try an engineer so I can repair this tank....wait, where's the repair tool?

Yeah, SUUUUUPER excited about this. Because god knows I love being shot in the head by people who've unlocked some semi-auto sniper rifle while I'm trying desperately to get 2 or 3 kills in during an entire round, so MAYBE I get a HAIR closer to getting a gun that actually works.

Also seeing that "tons of vehicle unlocks" as me running up to a tank and being told I can't use it until I log 300 hours on the ATV.

It took all of maybe an hour or 2 of play to unlock both of those....sheesh.

True, but the hour for the medkit was still idiotic. I have to agree with anyone complaining about that one. What point is there in calling it a medic class if it's not allowed to heal anyone until they've killed enough people to do it?

Support classes should have their basic support options available right from the get go, so that they can... you know... support their team and earn points that way rather than force them into an assault role for the first level or two of gameplay and only then allow them to do what they're meant to do.

It was a bad call by Dice all around.

27. Re: On Battlefield 3 Unlocks Aug 6, 2011, 20:18 Teddy

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 18:37:
Bhruic wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 12:59:
Ugh. I know unlocks are the "in" thing, but, honestly, if your game is good, I'm going to play it to enjoy playing it. You don't need to "tempt" me into playing it with the carrot at the end of the stick.

Unfortunately there is a portion of the game that has to appeal to the CoD sheep - that is the thing now....so that is why it is there. Otherwise, the rest of us real gamers were looking for a great BF game that hearkens to great ol gameplay and FUN!

Unlocks existed in Battlefield 2 which predates Modern Warfare and the precedent for unlocks within CoD. They created the precedent in FPS games, not CoD. It's pretty much revisionist history to blame this on Infinity Ward.

It's funny to me that people honestly don't remember. THe "Great ol gameplay and FUN" included unlocks in BF2 (and all of it's expansions), BF2142, Bad Company, Bad Company 2 and now Battlefield 3.

26. Re: On Battlefield 3 Unlocks Aug 6, 2011, 20:09 Jerykk

There was a time when you only needed to rely on good gameplay to keep the player coming back for hundreds of hours. Pretty sad that we have to have this meta game of unlocking and upgrading our gear.

Agreed. Unlockables are inherently unbalanced for two reasons:

1) Even if the unlocks are individually balanced (which they rarely are), the presence of choice provides an inherent advantage to those with the most unlocks. Different unlocks are useful for different roles and playstyles so the player with the fewest unlocks will never have the best gear for every situation.
2) Not all games are suitable for unlocks and trying to force an unlockable system into a game can drastically change the way it's played. In order to accommodate an unlockable system, Tribes: Ascend removes all loadout customization and forces you to select from predefined classes, which have to be unlocked by either grinding or paying real money. In order to accommodate a wider range of classes, each class is limited to two weapons. This goes against everything that Tribes stood for.

25. Re: On Battlefield 3 Unlocks Aug 6, 2011, 19:21 ViRGE

This is the one thing that keeps me from buying BF3 right away. I like the overall gameplay, but dear god do I hate unlocks. It goes against the whole idea of "a game of skill" and turns it into a game of time, if not a pay-to-win type of game.  

24. Re: On Battlefield 3 Unlocks Aug 6, 2011, 18:39 Retired

Well, my only concern at this point is if I will be able to run the game or not.....break out the credit card, probably time to upgrade the rig. I am long overdue anyway. Been over 3 years since I built a system.  

23. Re: On Battlefield 3 Unlocks Aug 6, 2011, 18:37 Retired

Bhruic wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 12:59:
Ugh. I know unlocks are the "in" thing, but, honestly, if your game is good, I'm going to play it to enjoy playing it. You don't need to "tempt" me into playing it with the carrot at the end of the stick.

Unfortunately there is a portion of the game that has to appeal to the CoD sheep - that is the thing now....so that is why it is there. Otherwise, the rest of us real gamers were looking for a great BF game that hearkens to great ol gameplay and FUN!

22. Re: On Battlefield 3 Unlocks Aug 6, 2011, 18:35 Retired

Oh goodie. Because I was COMPLETELY THRILLED in BC2 when I started up as a Medic and discovered I WASN'T ALLOWED TO HEAL ANYBODY. Oh, must be something goofy, let me try an engineer so I can repair this tank....wait, where's the repair tool?

Yeah, SUUUUUPER excited about this. Because god knows I love being shot in the head by people who've unlocked some semi-auto sniper rifle while I'm trying desperately to get 2 or 3 kills in during an entire round, so MAYBE I get a HAIR closer to getting a gun that actually works.

It took all of maybe an hour or 2 of play to unlock both of those....sheesh.

21. Re: On Battlefield 3 Unlocks Aug 6, 2011, 18:12 DangerDog

Sacrelicious wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 16:20:
You can repair and revive right from the start in BF3 Shhh

Could have swore I had to "unlock" the revive ability.

maybe not.

edit: no, it was the medic "bag" that I'm thinking of.

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 2011, 19:13.

20. Re: speaks the truth... Aug 6, 2011, 18:02 Sepharo

Shataan wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 16:57:
My uber fav weap being the M16, and I had to buy it just to get it.

Puke

19. Re: On Battlefield 3 Unlocks Aug 6, 2011, 18:01 eRe4s3r

Too bad you can also drive and fly from the start. Its amazing how many people can NOT fly a helicopter  

18. Re: speaks the truth... Aug 6, 2011, 17:39 eRe4s3r

It seems to me you are only angry because indeed the m16 is the last unlock of the assault class, it does however NOT unbalance the game as its not the best gun (which you could unlock with just 28000 points)  

17. Re: speaks the truth... Aug 6, 2011, 17:37 Bhruic

For the record, I could care less about unlocks and rewards. Cause the way the system is now, you have to pretty well have no life and just have your gamefreak on 24/7 to get them. Hell, I just got tired after 100 hours and just bought the Specact Kit. My uber fav weap being the M16, and I had to buy it just to get it.

Ok, let's see you care less.

And don't take this the wrong way, but you are part of the problem. By paying to get it, you've demonstrated to them that it's a commodity to be purchased instead of part of the game that should come when you buy it. People like you willing to spend money to get "unlocks" is why the "unlocks" are the way they are today.

16. Re: speaks the truth... Aug 6, 2011, 17:19 vrok

Shataan wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 16:57:
"Pretty sad that we have to have this meta game of unlocking and upgrading our gear."

What gets me as well is how much time is spent to balance the gameplay.... only to have it totally unbalanced by allowing peeps with way different perks or lack thereof, with those who have not leveled up yet. There`s some logic for yas.

For the record, I could care less about unlocks and rewards. Cause the way the system is now, you have to pretty well have no life and just have your gamefreak on 24/7 to get them. Hell, I just got tired after 100 hours and just bought the Specact Kit. My uber fav weap being the M16, and I had to buy it just to get it.

Freaking sad state of gaming affairs.
Uh, it took like a weekend of playing to get the M16. Implying you need to have no life and game 24/7 just to get BC2 unlocks is plain wrong. I got all unlocks for every class after logging less than 40 hours of gameplay. Sounds like yet another excuse for being terrible. Maybe it isn't, but it sure sounds like it.

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >