Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Today is the anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima in 1945. Going by that grim date, today is the 66th birthday for the nuclear age.

Nuclear Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Defend Your Nuts. Thanks Daniel.
Steamlands.
Spectromancer - Truth and Beauty Games.
Links: Peek Inside the Lamborghini Factory. Thanks nin.
Science: MIT researchers develop a technique to cure a broad range of viruses. Thanks Larry.
Media: Super Mario Unreal Tournament.
Creative Post-It war in Paris, still escalating.
Mega Bass Fail.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2011, 23:36 Lesaonar

AnointedSword wrote on Aug 7, 2011, 08:35:
ok I am going to throw something out there and it is up to you guys to think about this for a minute. Do you know how much blood was shed before nukes was created? I have a shocking fact for you people, nukes have saved more lives than taken. Nukes keeps idiots in check. With that said, go do the numbers...and open your minds...Sounds unbelievable doesn't it? Swords probably have killed more people than Nukes...so before you people hope on the bandwagon and believe everything...research it out...With that said, grow the hell up...

To be more precise, those who've fought for the 'glory of god' have killed more than any other mytholgy. Nonetheless that doesn't make the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki any less horrific, not to mention the people of bikini atoll who lost their lands and livelyhood so the US could test their nukes.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Hiroshima Aug 7, 2011, 23:33 Lesaonar

kanniballl wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 19:54:
I see what you did there

Happy B-Day

LOL! That wasn't really my intention, trolling for b-day wishes. But thank you all the same! XD

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2011, 19:35 Sleette

Umm.. seems odd that the only place I've heard about what could be the most significant medical breakthrough in the history of modern medicine is on a gaming website (well, linked from anyway).

Is this a case of some research that in theory could possibly become something that could maybe be beneficial to humans with a mere 20+ years more research, overblown by some publicist at MIT? Would still be good news if that was the case but the way it's written up makes it seem like we'll all be immune to viruses by next Friday.

Color me (very) guardedly optimistic..

16. Re: MIT researchers develop a technique to cure a broad range of viruses. Aug 7, 2011, 13:52 zirik

Jonny wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 13:25:
Isn't that colossal, life changing type of news? If the article is correct and the technique can be used safely and en-masse, then doesn't that remove all viruses as a threat? It's a pretty mind-blowing concept.

doctors have been studying the use of apoptosis for treating cancer but found no success. i hope this MIT technique will work on cancer as well.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2011, 13:41 zirik

ok I am going to throw something out there and it is up to you guys to think about this for a minute. Do you know how much blood was shed before nukes was created? I have a shocking fact for you people, nukes have saved more lives than taken. Nukes keeps idiots in check. With that said, go do the numbers...and open your minds...Sounds unbelievable doesn't it? Swords probably have killed more people than Nukes...so before you people hope on the bandwagon and believe everything...research it out...With that said, grow the hell up...

did you count the ones affected by the fallout? the birth defects and cancer victims.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2011, 12:59 Sepharo

Whoa! Thanks for the clearing that up, I was under the impression that the only two nukes ever used in combat had killed more people than any other weapons in existence combined.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2011, 12:02 nin

With that said, grow the hell up...

Wow, I just realized I never added you to the troll filter. Thanks for the reminder! Bye!

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

12. No subject Aug 7, 2011, 08:35 AnointedSword

If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

11. Re: Hiroshima Aug 6, 2011, 19:54 kanniballl

Lesaonar wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 19:14:
And people wonder why I really don't like celebrating on my birthday. Sharing it with the bombing of Hiroshima hasn't ever made it easy to enjoy the day. Well since I've been an adult anyway...

I see what you did there

Happy B-Day

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

10. Re: Hiroshima Aug 6, 2011, 19:14 Lesaonar

And people wonder why I really don't like celebrating on my birthday. Sharing it with the bombing of Hiroshima hasn't ever made it easy to enjoy the day. Well since I've been an adult anyway...  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2011, 18:49 Cutter

God bless 'merica and ol' Harry S.! He bombed thee hell out of those sumbitches!

"Rmabo. John J.? Well what do you know? Ol' Harry here's a soldier."

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2011, 16:15 Fang

This is bizzare! The first thing I thought of when I woke today was how terrible it was that our country did this. I had no idea that today was the anniversary. Spooky.

Here's an interesting article about the subject.

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2011/08/07/why_did_japan_surrender/

Some of the points of the article, obviously debatable:
-Cities were wiped out and many more civilians were killed/horribly injured using conventional firebombing, Hiroshima and Nagasaki are only noted because they were new "novel" weapons.
-Because of this, Japanese leaders didn't care that another of their cities were destroyed, they could care less about their civilians. They were instructed to fight to the death with bambo sticks.
-They also were not ready to surrender before the bombs were dropped.
-They surrendered when the Soviet Union began their invasion because they thought they would get a better deal from the US than the Soviets.
-My question: did the dropping of the bomb accelerate the Soviet's entry into the theater?

7. Re: MIT researchers develop a technique to cure a broad range of viruses. Aug 6, 2011, 15:28 Creston

Jonny wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 13:25:
Isn't that colossal, life changing type of news? If the article is correct and the technique can be used safely and en-masse, then doesn't that remove all viruses as a threat? It's a pretty mind-blowing concept.

I'd call that pretty amazing as well. Tested on 15 virusses and succesful in treating all of them. Wow.

Creston

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2011, 15:24 Creston

Thanks for that Lamborghini link, nin. That's an awesome article.

Creston

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2011, 14:11 PHJF

Clearly you were a victim of inception.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2011, 14:03 OldScho0l

kanniballl wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 13:42:
OldScho0l wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 13:33:
Today is the anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima in 1945. Going by that grim date, today is the 66th birthday for the nuclear age.

This is bizzare! The first thing I thought of when I woke today was how terrible it was that our country did this. I had no idea that today was the anniversary. Spooky.

The subconscious is a funny thing, as is "waking up."

In a crowded room yesterday, you someone might've said something like "tomorrow is the anniversary..." and you just didn't notice it (but you still heard it). Or perhaps a TV / radio / webcast was on in another part of the room/office and again you heard it but didn't notice it. Or perhaps from previous years/posts you knew the date of the anniversary but consciously forgot until you thought of the date.

Combined with the above, I've heard that the first few seconds after being awake our mind is firing quite strongly. Which explains why I sometimes don't realize that I forgot to do something or messed up a piece of code at work until I wake up the following morning.

True true true (Probably the Hitler er.. History channel)

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2011, 13:42 kanniballl

OldScho0l wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 13:33:

The subconscious is a funny thing, as is "waking up."

In a crowded room yesterday, you someone might've said something like "tomorrow is the anniversary..." and you just didn't notice it (but you still heard it). Or perhaps a TV / radio / webcast was on in another part of the room/office and again you heard it but didn't notice it. Or perhaps from previous years/posts you knew the date of the anniversary but consciously forgot until you thought of the date.

Combined with the above, I've heard that the first few seconds after being awake our mind is firing quite strongly. Which explains why I sometimes don't realize that I forgot to do something or messed up a piece of code at work until I wake up the following morning.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2011, 13:33 OldScho0l

1. Re: MIT researchers develop a technique to cure a broad range of viruses. Aug 6, 2011, 13:25 Jonny

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo