Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More

There's a burst of new Diablo III information available today, as Blizzard brought some folks in to get a look at how their upcoming action/RPG is shaping up. IGN has a preview of the beta, as well as word that the game will require a persistent internet connection. "In both Diablo and especially in Diablo II, I think the intuition for a lot of people when they're playing the game is 'I want to make my character offline away from that scary battle net environment. And then once I have this powerful character, I'll jump online.' But the problem with that concept is we can't really detect if they're cheating. They might have the capability to hack their character, things like that, so at that point we can't really allow that character to be in the battle net environment. Then they're going to have to restart their character, which is exactly what happened in Diablo II, which was really unfortunate," explains Blizzard's Rob Pardo. "Your character will be online on battle net the moment you start playing. You can play a solo experience like you would in Diablo II, it's just your character is on Blizzard's servers and authenticated."

There's a post on DiabloFans.com with a big rundown on their experiences along with a FAQ, photos, video, screenshots, and interviews with the developers, taking extra effort to let you avoid major spoilers. There are many revelations, perhaps the most significant of which being the ability to buy and sell in-game items in the auction house for real money. Here's a bit from the FAQ on how this will work:

Don’t Need It? Put It Up For Auction!
Nearly everything found in the game, including gold, can be exchanged with other players directly or through the auction house system. So say you’re a witch doctor and you’ve just found an incredibly rare, incredibly powerful axe that only barbarians can use. In the previous Diablo games your best option might have been to sell the axe to an in-game vendor, but in Diablo III, you now have the ability to list that axe in the auction house for your fellow barbarian players to bid on. And you know another player will probably appreciate the true value of that axe more than some heartless vendor who’ll likely just melt it down for scrap….

Amazing Search Functionality
The auction house’s "smart search" functionality can automatically sort items in the auction house based on which upgrades would be most beneficial to your character. Also, searching for the best gear for multiple characters on the same Battle.net account can be done all from the same interface without having to log out.

The Choice Is Yours
Use of either the real-money or gold-based auction house is completely optional -- that decision can be made on a per-item basis, and both versions of the auction house are functionally the same. In addition, players have the option to simply sell the items they obtain to in-game vendors for gold. They can also trade items to other players through a direct character-to-character trading system in the game in exchange for gold, other items, or just an overwhelming sense of goodwill.

Players Only
Blizzard does not plan to post items for sale in the auction house. The driving purpose of the auction house is to provide players with a fun additional in-game option for what they do with the items they obtain in the game. Items sold in the auction house will be posted by players and purchased by players.

Safe and Sanctified
The real-money auction house provides players with an easy-to-use, Blizzard-sanctioned way to collect money for items they obtain while playing Diablo III. It also helps protect players from the scams and theft often associated with questionable third-party sites by providing a secure, completely in-game method for purchasing and obtaining the items they want for their characters.

View
391 Replies. 20 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

231. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 18:17 Luke

Rattlehead wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 18:06:
You can try to paint me a pirate all you like to deflect my arguments but I see it for the bullshit it is.

The only bullshit is coming from you. You can try to justify your morale crusade against this DRM by pirating the game for some holy cause, but in the end your just another stinking, lying thief.

The only stinking lying thief here is Blizzard , sniffing what you do who you talk to , what you like where you buy things ,and so on , there are NO need for that spyware to run in the background for a SP , but i guess peps are use to get sniffed up there asses with all those shit programs like faceshet , twitter , google+ that they don't give a jazz anymore...Hell just turn your antivirus off no need

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

230. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 18:14 ^Drag0n^

Fib--

I don't tether, as AT&T put in the fine print that I lose my unlimited data if I want that feature, otherwise, I'm grandfathered in for unlimited data on my phone for as long as I have my current phone number.

That said, I get your point, but here's another: What about the people (self included) that play games on their laptops/netbooks/iPads while flying? Or in the airport? At the bus station? On public Transit during a commute? Or are stuck in one of those asshat hotels that charge $20/night for network access?

Remember, some people play away from home, too, mate.

^D^

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 2011, 18:21.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

229. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 18:09 Dev

Teddy wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 17:25:
So, just so I'm clear on this... You have to pay blizzard to list an item on the AH (whether it sells or not), you have to pay blizzard again if that item sells (Source: Ars Tech), then you have to pay Blizzard a third time to transfer the money owed to a third party company that you have to pay to give you the remains of the money, and only if you live in the right area in the world.

With all that paying out, I'd be surprised if you get 10c on the dollar for everything you sell.
Except your link mentions its a flat fee to list and sell, and that its going to be a very small fraction of the higher end stuff.

228. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 18:06 Rattlehead

You can try to paint me a pirate all you like to deflect my arguments but I see it for the bullshit it is.

The only bullshit is coming from you. You can try to justify your morale crusade against this DRM by pirating the game for some holy cause, but in the end your just another stinking, lying thief.

227. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 17:59 StingingVelvet

Rattlehead wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 17:55:
BE PART OF A SOCIAL NETWORK OR FUCK OFF!

Fine, you don't want my money then you don't get it. But I'm still gonna take your game off of a torrent site.

Fixed.

226. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 17:58 Fibrocyte

Dev wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:43:
Fibrocyte wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:27:
I could care less if it requires a permanent internet connection just to access your character. Really, when do you people NOT have an internet connection? And before you bitch, maybe you need to find a guide on how to tether the internet from your phone.
Tell you what, you pay the $30 a month for the smart phone data plan (which is limited to 5gb only, yeah I'm sure I'd NEVER hit that doing stuff online with a laptop, such as playing D3) and the extra $20 a month for tethering for me, and I'd get that setup right away.

Yeah also I'm sure that kinda thing would NEVER EVER have any dropouts while traveling cause its 100% reliable.

Hi, Dev,

It's unlike you to miss the point but I guess you did.

1) Most people have internet access most of the time.
2) If not, you can tether through your smart phone as most people have that (note: most smart phones require data plans).
3) I seriously doubt you'll hurt your monthly data consumption numbers if you just want to play a single player game and all blizzard needs to do is retrieve your char from the server and periodically update information.
4) Cell phone tethering should be reliable 'enough' for point #3.

225. Re: Aug 1, 2011, 17:56 eRe4s3r

I have no problem with internet connections, i have a problem with RM transactions and no local saves (i have seen in SH5 what a piss poor system that is)

So what if people can't switch with 1 char between b.net and local? Didn't cause any issues in D2

But its obvious why they do that, if deadlock accounts online you can control char sales 100% and make 100% profit from it. Now people can't copy a pre leveled offline char to test out stuff, now they have to buy it.

Blizzard has gone batshit insane. There, hopefully google picks that up

Hehe, googling "Blizzard has gone" sure is entertaining.. this isn't the only batshit insane decision by Blizzard since it got Acti-pwned

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 2011, 18:06.

224. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 17:55 ^Drag0n^

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 17:41:

Totally with you there. When I'm in a single player game, I shut off steam chat and anything else I'm not using for the game. If they don't give you an option to shut people out of your session, in no way will I be interested.

Honestly? I'd rather give my money and support to the Torchlight team. Blizzard is just getting too big.

^D^

223. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 17:55 Rattlehead

Fine, you don't want my money then you don't get it. But I'm still gonna take your game off of a torrent site.

Fixed.

222. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 17:51 Luke

fuck blizzard whinniberg  

221. "Persistant Internet Connection Required." Aug 1, 2011, 17:51 ^Drag0n^

Ahhh...all it takes is four words, and everyone goes batshit on each other ;-)

I do find it hypocritical that Blizzard/Activision pissed all over people selling their accounts/loot on eBay, though, and suddenly are all for it if you sell it through battle.net.

"It's evil until we figure out how to get a piece of it..."

^D^

220. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 17:44 ASeven

Ferazel wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 17:34:
ASeven wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 17:12:
See, this is how you adapt to change. You change for the better option instead of being lethargic and just accept anything that's thrown at you. If anything, the fact more and more people are playing more and more indie titles, with a growing number of people making indies their main games, will give for an interesting future where the minority might end up being the mainstream gamers and not the opposite.

I don't have a problem with indie games either. I think some of the most innovative experiences are being done by Indie developers. I've probably spent more money on Indie games than AAA games the last couple years. While still in the minority, some Indie games are going to the online service route (see MineCraft). My argument is my viewpoint is more flexible than yours and therefore more likely to adapt to changing system requirements as entertainment media continues to evolve and provide new experiences. While the detractor's opinions don't seem to be as pliable.

Well your viewpoint was something like either accept this change or be in the minority, while I offer a third viewpoint, indies might change the online service route in a way everybody will be happy about it (minecraft). Positive change that pleases everyone is possible, many indies are already doing so. This d3 move is negative change that takes away and offers nothing in return to the gamer that we didn't have before, in better shape.

219. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 17:41 StingingVelvet

This part of the PC Gamer interview is really the worst to me:

PCG: Is there any way to make sure that people can’t bug you, though? To essentially replicate a completely single-player experience even though you’re required to be online?

Bridenbecker: There’s definitely a question as to how much an individual is participating in the community and how much you award them the option to say, “I’m no longer a participant.” I mean, the reality is that most people, when they’re in a game and they say that they’re busy, other players are going to respect that. If somebody happens to intrude, you know, it’s your friend. Just tell them, “Hey man, when I’m busy, leave me alone.”

Fine, you don't want my money then you don't get it.

218. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 17:39 ASeven

Krovven wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 17:25:

It was obviously you or StingingVelvet. You can deny all you like I could care less. The fact you chose to quite clearly insult everyone that doesn't agree with you and you are still attacking me because I disagree with you, proves how petty you can be.

I call any bullshit I read for what it is, and I tell it to people's faces, and I respect anyone who does the same to me. Call me a jackass, an asshole, I'll respect you for calling it to my face. So I don't give a fuck on what you believe, I'll still call your bullshit for what it is and expect the same done to me. You call it petty, I call it a good way to separate grown ups from pseudointellectual kids. So believe in whatever, I couldn't give a damn.

217. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 17:35 Veterator

Wonder if they will have to do account restores due to all the people hacking into people's D3 accounts to steal their shit or sell it on the auction house cheap so they can buy it on their own accounts.

216. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 17:34 Ferazel

ASeven wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 17:12:
See, this is how you adapt to change. You change for the better option instead of being lethargic and just accept anything that's thrown at you. If anything, the fact more and more people are playing more and more indie titles, with a growing number of people making indies their main games, will give for an interesting future where the minority might end up being the mainstream gamers and not the opposite.

I don't have a problem with indie games either. I think some of the most innovative experiences are being done by Indie developers. I've probably spent more money on Indie games than AAA games the last couple years. While still in the minority, some Indie games are going to the online service route (see MineCraft). My argument is my viewpoint is more flexible than yours and therefore more likely to adapt to changing system requirements as entertainment media continues to evolve and provide new experiences. While the detractor's opinions don't seem to be as pliable.

215. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 17:29 RollinThundr

Well that settles it. Blizzard, you're dead to me. Diablo 1 I still have RL friends to this day from that game, but you've done nothing for me since SC1 so yeah. Suck it.  

214. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 17:28 StingingVelvet

Krovven wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 17:11:
StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 17:07:
Is this a joke? Seriously... is this meant to be humorous?

Are you only capable of giving useless passive-aggressive commentary...or are you even capable of putting words together and explaining how cheating is not a major factor in this? Did you even read the news story at all? Did you ever play Diablo 2 at all?

I don't give two shits about cheating because I am a SINGLEPLAYER GAMER. The whole question was about how this benefits ME, and it doesn't at all. You were asked to name one way this would benefit people like me and your response was that it would prevent multiplayer cheating.

You're either really ignorant or pretending to be. Not sure which.

213. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 17:26 Creston

Ferazel wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 17:01:
Ooh ohh I wanna join in on the fun!

---
Seriously, I think the complainers are oblivious to how this is going to be the future of entertainment media. Whether or not you are going to adapt and change to be a part of it, is definitely your choice. However, if you don't adapt and accept change I will liken it to the metaphor of going to your cabin in the woods wearing tinfoil over your head plugging your ears wishing that the world wouldn't change.

However, take for example some of the modern aspects of popular entertainment. Farmville, League of Legends, and World of Warcraft are all very successful internet only games. They both have integrated ecomony systems that are equated to cash by 3rd party sites. There are very few people whom an always on internet connection is going to be a problem.

I don't doubt that there will still be some indie releases that are going to stroke your egos and tell you you're not crazy. However, the bigs ones are going to try to be as successful as they can be. There are many reasons why game companies are going this route, piracy and microtransactions are the main ones that come to my mind. This type of online system helps with both of these situations.

You stubborn old relic gamers of yesteryear are in the gross minority of gamers no matter how much noise you make. If you don't adapt... well you can always go hide in your cabin with your 486 playing XCom and Tie Fighter until you die. While the rest of us, we will have new entertainment experiences to play with before then.
---

In regards to the changes, I play Diablo for the co-op questing and these changes will unlikely affect me at all.

Good for you, kid. Welcome to the world where people are allowed to have different opinions on what they like and don't like. It's called civilization. First time you stepped foot outside your parents' home?

Now run off with your buddies and sit there and giggle how the tinfoil wearing, 486 playing Xcom relics of yesteryear don't choose to participate in your wonderful always-on, micro-transacted-up-your-ass medium of entertainment. You might ask Graham to join you. And you can feel all good about yourself and how incredibly smart you are to join the mindless sheeple who play shit like GrindFarmville.

For people who like something else, there will always be devs who realize that, hey, there's a market for purely single player games too, and they will cater to that, because there's money to be made there.

And guess what, despite your pathetic pandering, there's plenty of games around for both groups.

Creston

212. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 17:25 Krovven

ASeven wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 17:16:
Guess you don't know what passive aggressive means

Clearly you don't if you dont think his comment was.

and guess you're still an hypocrite, chastising others for doing what you also do.

You and Stingingvelvet both chose to insult me first. In your case you pretty much insulted anyone in this thread that disagreed with you. Discussion had been going just fine until you opened your mouth.

Btw I don't report anything, I don't fear words. Way to assume it though. Guess your high horse is really tiny, it seems. Get off it while you're at it, and do grow up.

It was obviously you or StingingVelvet. You can deny all you like I could care less. The fact you chose to quite clearly insult everyone that doesn't agree with you and you are still attacking me because I disagree with you, proves how petty you can be.

391 Replies. 20 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo