Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Quoteworthy - John Carmack on Game Violence

"People just play games now and I never took seriously the violence in video games debate. It was basically talking points for people to get on CNN and espouse their stuff on there," says id Software Technical director John Carmack. "And I really think, if anything, there is more evidence to show that the violent games reduce aggression and violence. There have actually been some studies about that, that itís cathartic. If you go to QuakeCon and you walk by and you see the people there [and compare that to] a random cross section of a college campus, youíre probably going to find a more peaceful crowd of people at the gaming convention. I think itís at worst neutral and potentially positive."
View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Quoteworthy - John Carmack on Game Violence Jul 31, 2011, 17:24 space captain

still tryin to lickie my dickie, eh?

im flattered, really

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Quoteworthy - John Carmack on Game Violence Jul 31, 2011, 13:26 heroin

How undemocratic! I can't believe we're getting censored. I demand that I be able to troll Space Captain as if this were the very New York sewer that he and his mother live together in. I just want to trespass into his lair for a few measly insults and then be back off to RPS. Haha!

space captain wrote on Jul 31, 2011, 10:36:
heroin wrote on Jul 31, 2011, 04:38:
i dream about you constantly, please love me!!

yeh thats pretty fucking sad

14. Re: Quoteworthy - John Carmack on Game Violence Jul 31, 2011, 10:36 space captain

heroin wrote on Jul 31, 2011, 04:38:
i dream about you constantly, please love me!!

yeh thats pretty fucking sad

13. Re: Quoteworthy - John Carmack on Game Violence Jul 31, 2011, 07:35 El Pit

Yeah, violence in games and movies is no problem. And whoever begs to differ shall feel my fist in his or her face!  

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

12. Re: Quoteworthy - John Carmack on Game Violence Jul 31, 2011, 05:29 yuastnav

entr0py wrote on Jul 31, 2011, 01:56:
I don't know, I think Freud's theory that cathartic rage is a good thing has been long since disproved. It turns out that screaming obscenities only makes you a more angry person over time; you're making rage a habit.
[...]

Look, you cannot expect Carmack and the likes to keep up with modern developments. He has to act busy after all and has to pretend that his opinion on this somehow matters.

11. removed Jul 31, 2011, 04:38 heroin

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jul 31, 2011, 12:00.

10. Re: Quoteworthy - John Carmack on Game Violence Jul 31, 2011, 01:56 entr0py

I don't know, I think Freud's theory that cathartic rage is a good thing has been long since disproved. It turns out that screaming obscenities only makes you a more angry person over time; you're making rage a habit.

I think the best thing to be said about violent games is that they are not actually vindictive or cruel. Desensitization to FICTIONAL violence is really a good thing. I don't feel any glee in performing fatalities, but I also don't feel any anguish. It's all very disconnected from human suffering.

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 2011, 02:08.

9. removed Jul 30, 2011, 23:31 space captain

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jul 31, 2011, 11:59.

8. Re: Quoteworthy - John Carmack on Game Violence Jul 30, 2011, 22:38 Acleacius

Welcome to the party, pal. Rolleyes  

Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs,
you would not hear of that party again in our political history.....and they are stupid. Dwight D. Eisenhower

7. Re: Quoteworthy - John Carmack on Game Violence Jul 30, 2011, 21:01 HorrorScope

Put it this way, I was out on the streets causing way more shit then my sons do today, because they are gaming/eSocializing much more instead.  

6. Re: Quoteworthy - John Carmack on Game Violence Jul 30, 2011, 20:24 heroin

Video games stress me the fuck out. I was just playing that Deus Ex beta and got to Barrett and was pulling out my hair. Until I learned how to stealth the way the game wanted me to I was pulling out my hair as well. My blood pressure was high as fuck. Fun yet stressful, cathartic? Not in the least. A big cleaning day is cathartic, not video games.

I would also say that gamers at a convention are different than say Space Captain. Gamer's at a convention are the glossy, yet usually ugly, social side of gaming. While, the dangerous gamers, like Space Captain, sit in their mom's basements planning the extinction of humanity, or at least the McDonald's server who got their "special" order wrong.

5. Re: Quoteworthy - John Carmack on Game Violence Jul 30, 2011, 20:21 ldonyo

It's rational and thoughtful things like this that will keep John Carmack from ever being asked to talk about violence in video games on any cable news channel, particularly one owned by News Corp.  

4. Re: Quoteworthy - John Carmack on Game Violence Jul 30, 2011, 19:25 Overon

One thing that Carmack is wrong about is the cathartic effect. He's got to pick up a more recent book on violence and realize that the "steam boiler" effect he refers to when he says cathartic, is a myth that's been discredited. But that does not mean that violent video games increase violence in real life. They are simply on balance, neutral.  

3. Re: Quoteworthy - John Carmack on Game Violence Jul 30, 2011, 18:10 jdreyer

Whether violent video games have a positive, negative, or zero effect on violence and aggression in people still seems to be an open question, but it has undoubtedly had one positive effect: occupying the time of people who would otherwise be out committing crimes.

Young adult males have the highest rates of violent crimes, and are also the largest consumers of video games. Over the past two decades, the introduction and meteoric rise in popularity of video games has correlated directly with the drop in crime, and video game revenues rise inversely proportionally to said drop. Consoles are cheap (a few hundred dollars) and games can be borrowed, traded, and rented cheaply, while consuming dozens of hours weekly. Replayability means a single game can be played 30, 40, 50 or more hours. Games offer escape from reality, even an impoverished one, so much so they are used after surgery to distract patients from pain. Here's one article discussing the correlation between crime and videogames. Dozens of hours a week playing games means people aren't out on the street doing crimes, and video games are a cheap substitute for using drugs as a means of escaping reality.

"I survived the 2020 removedpocalypse."

2. om mani padme hum hadouken Jul 30, 2011, 17:47 space captain

I view video games as something of an emotional therapy, a mundane level of emotional therapy for me. We all have emotions whether weíre Buddhist practitioners or not, all of us have emotions, happy emotions, sad emotions, displeased emotions and we need to figure out a way to deal with them when they arise.

So, for me sometimes it can be a relief, a kind of decompression to just play some video games. If Iím having some negative thoughts or negative feelings, video games are one way in which I can release that energy in the context of the illusion of the game. I feel better afterwards.

The aggression that comes out in the video game satiates whatever desire I might have to express that feeling. For me, thatís very skillful because when I do that I donít have to go and hit anyone over the head. [...] video games are just a skillful method.

- His Holiness the 17th Gyalwang Karmapa Ogyen Trinley Dorje, Head of the Kagyu Lineage

1. Re: Quoteworthy - John Carmack on Game Violence Jul 30, 2011, 17:32 Doma

Carmack says "on there" a lot  

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >