Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

New Dune Legacy

Version 0.96.2 of Dune Legacy is now available, updating this fan-created homage to Dune II, the seminal real-time strategy game. The new version includes a number of bugfixes and changes, most notably the addition of multiplayer support over either LAN or the internet. Thanks Ant.
View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: oh really??? Jul 31, 2011, 12:57 Ant

Shataan wrote on Jul 29, 2011, 09:16:
"a personal shield"

everyone knows the personal shield is good pretty well only around the Keeps. Out in the terrain tho, it can and will summon a Worm. Making shield use pretty stupid. So, yeah while personal shield use MIGHT negate a few things, these can be balanced realisticly compared to the story, and gameplay logicly too. DUNE would have made an awesome FPS imho. Personal shields were used for cqb knife engagements as well.

I`d love to see this kinda thing used in a fsp using F.E.A.R.s bullet time effect. It`d rock. Add in Riddick Butcher Bay type 1st pov cqb type engagements, just for the upclose times.

Wasn`t C&C loosely based upon DUNE? And that eventually did become a FPS right? Correct me anyone if I am wrong.

As for weaps,the Sardaukar and Fremen both used projectile weaps. Paul introduced the weap the Atreides designed using sound. The Wierding way for hand to hand.

It can be done easilly. Hell, game devs juggle these kinda issues all the time.

Dune 2 was before C&C. There's also Dune 1 which was an adventure game (boring to me). C&C had a FPS called Renegade. It was OK.

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: New Dune Legacy Jul 29, 2011, 12:48 wonkawonka

Tom wrote on Jul 29, 2011, 09:53:
The RTS predecessor to Dune 2 was Herzog Zwei on the Genesis 3 years earlier. A truly brilliant RTS, but the design was fairly different due to using a controller instead of a mouse.

HERTZOG ZWEI!!!!! I should dig up that cartridge and see how far gaming has evolved since. Would be interesting considering that I only played 2 RTS games in my life, Hertzog and Warcraft (one).

9. Re: oh really??? Jul 29, 2011, 10:25 Kajetan

Shataan wrote on Jul 29, 2011, 09:16:
Wasn`t C&C loosely based upon DUNE? And that eventually did become a FPS right? Correct me anyone if I am wrong.
Some of Dune 2 units made it over to C&C like the Harkonnen Advanced Tank (GDI Mammoth) or the Artreides Sonic Amplifier (GDI Sonic Tank). Besides that, there is no connection between Dune 2 and the C&C Universe.

8. Re: New Dune Legacy Jul 29, 2011, 09:53 Tom

Dune 2 pioneered the RTS genre on the PC. C&C and Warcraft followed in its footsteps.

The RTS predecessor to Dune 2 was Herzog Zwei on the Genesis 3 years earlier. A truly brilliant RTS, but the design was fairly different due to using a controller instead of a mouse.

7. oh really??? Jul 29, 2011, 09:16 Shataan

"a personal shield"

everyone knows the personal shield is good pretty well only around the Keeps. Out in the terrain tho, it can and will summon a Worm. Making shield use pretty stupid. So, yeah while personal shield use MIGHT negate a few things, these can be balanced realisticly compared to the story, and gameplay logicly too. DUNE would have made an awesome FPS imho. Personal shields were used for cqb knife engagements as well.

I`d love to see this kinda thing used in a fsp using F.E.A.R.s bullet time effect. It`d rock. Add in Riddick Butcher Bay type 1st pov cqb type engagements, just for the upclose times.

As for weaps,the Sardaukar and Fremen both used projectile weaps. Paul introduced the weap the Atreides designed using sound. The Wierding way for hand to hand.

It can be done easilly. Hell, game devs juggle these kinda issues all the time.

6. Re: New Dune Legacy Jul 29, 2011, 08:30 bfg9000

Perhaps a pre holtzman shield era setting then, during the Butlerian Jihad. But who enjoys killing machines?

So as far as Dune2 'homages' we have:
Dune Legacy
Dune The Golden Path (multiplayer only)
Dune 2 The Maker
any more?

D2 The Maker is my fave so far, it is still being worked on very slowly. You can play the Campaign pretty well, selecting units via a dragbox and grouping units works well but you cannot save. AT ALL.

5. Re: New Dune Legacy Jul 29, 2011, 04:54 Flatline

Shataan wrote on Jul 29, 2011, 00:49:
Wtf there is STILL not a fps made in the DUNE universe is anyones guess.

If we're going by the story, a personal shield makes the shooter part basically pointless. Shield technology is probably what stagnates the empire more than anything else since it forced conflict to a baroque level of melee combat (edit: Well, that and the Guild's monopoly on space travel).

Remember, the majority of killing things in Dune involves stabbing it. Not just with a sword, but with a goddamn knife. Before a really good Dune game came out someone would have to create a really excellent knife dueling engine. I just don't know how you'd do that.

4. Re: New Dune Legacy Jul 29, 2011, 03:40 wonkawonka

Dune is the ultimate for games:

- space battles
- diplomacy
- hand-to-hand (and sword) battles
- Massive fortress assaults with thousands of troops
- Potential stealth/hacking/RPG (points in lore, memories, the Voice, thopter piloting, hand-to-hand, poisoning, etc...)

So much waste. I wonder if any youngsters these days ever bothered to read the sextology (or octalogy depending on taste).

3. Re: New Dune Legacy Jul 29, 2011, 01:12 Teddy

Shataan wrote on Jul 29, 2011, 00:49:

I blame the horrible 80's movie for diluting and confusing the lore. While it probably makes for easier transition into games with the sonic weaponry (something that shows up rarely in games today), you'd piss off loyalists who hated the change to canon.

2. Re: New Dune Legacy Jul 29, 2011, 00:49 Shataan

1. Re: New Dune Legacy Jul 28, 2011, 22:24 Cutter

Always wondered why there weren't more Dune related games. The fiction is natch for games.

Shai Hulud.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >