F.E.A.R. 3 Launch Trailer Revisited

A formatting error prevented the F.E.A.R. 3 Launch Trailer posted last night from displaying properly. Apologies for the error, which has been rectified, and thanks Ant for the heads-up. The fixed clip follows.

View : : :
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: F.E.A.R. 3 Launch Trailer Revisited
Jun 20, 2011, 09:17
Re: F.E.A.R. 3 Launch Trailer Revisited Jun 20, 2011, 09:17
Jun 20, 2011, 09:17

Hellbinder wrote on Jun 19, 2011, 09:34:
yet another series of comments that leave me with one giant ... huh?

To be fair it doesn't take much to get that reaction from you I'm sure.

Jun 19, 2011, 10:49
Re: F.E.A.R. 3 Launch Trailer Revisited Jun 19, 2011, 10:49
Jun 19, 2011, 10:49

you guys do realize that fear was *never* a survival horror game.... right? it is in fact a FPS witth a horror theme.

Reading comprehension is hard.

No one actually went out and said that it was a survival horror title and only used it as an example as to why coop in a horror-based game does not work to its advantage.

The information in regards to Resident Evil is an off-topic within a topic which I thought would have been understood by the vast majority of folks but I guess next time I will right in bold, capitalized letters to catch the stragglers that it is, in fact, off topic.

The general theme of...

But giving us big guns, a 2nd guy with big guns, and mystical powers does NOT make us feel insecure at ANY point in time.

..is what makes horror and survival horror titles a joke now and is where it branched out in to an off topic rant by me in regards to survival horror and how I felt survival horror was done correctly.

No where did I or anyone say "F3AR is Survival Horror".

(typical everyday logic and thought process used by a majority of the brain dead people that post comments here)

Most people will reflect upon what they have said and will learn from the experience to not do it again. You, on the other hand, will likely be a douche forever.

Jun 19, 2011, 09:34
Re: F.E.A.R. 3 Launch Trailer Revisited Jun 19, 2011, 09:34
Jun 19, 2011, 09:34

yet another series of comments that leave me with one giant ... huh?

you guys do realize that fear was *never* a survival horror game.... right? it is in fact a FPS witth a horror theme.

you know,,, i love the flinstones,,and one thing i know you need barney rubble to have a quality flinstones.. and thats what i think the creators of F3ar really screwed up on.. they just dont have a quality barney rubble... in fact they dont have any barney rubble...

therefore this game will obviously suck.

(typical everyday logic and thought process used by a majority of the brain dead people that post comments here)
The Whales name is Bob.

Jun 19, 2011, 01:06
Re: F.E.A.R. 3 Launch Trailer Revisited Jun 19, 2011, 01:06
Jun 19, 2011, 01:06

Jerykk wrote on Jun 18, 2011, 21:28:
Yeah, you can play the game by yourself. I'm just wondering how implementing co-op at all affected the level design.

Heavily I'm sure. Still the fact that the other brother isn't even there in singleplayer is a godsend. No waiting for awkward AI to pull a lever or reloading because the AI died.

Jun 18, 2011, 21:28
Re: F.E.A.R. 3 Launch Trailer Revisited Jun 18, 2011, 21:28
Jun 18, 2011, 21:28

I believe, and this based on years old previews so who knows, that FEAR 3 does not have the other character there if you play solo. From what I recall reading they remove the second character entirely from gameplay if you play by yourself.

Yeah, you can play the game by yourself. I'm just wondering how implementing co-op at all affected the level design.

Jun 18, 2011, 20:13
Re: F.E.A.R. 3 Launch Trailer Revisited Jun 18, 2011, 20:13
Jun 18, 2011, 20:13

Jerykk wrote on Jun 18, 2011, 19:42:
Horror requires total immersion into the gameworld. Co-op completely undermines that by constantly reminding you that are playing a game with a friend. That said, even if F3AR were single-player only, it would still feel completely redundant. FEAR was a wholly self-contained experience. It didn't need sequels or expansion packs.

I believe, and this based on years old previews so who knows, that FEAR 3 does not have the other character there if you play solo. From what I recall reading they remove the second character entirely from gameplay if you play by yourself.

Jun 18, 2011, 19:42
Re: F.E.A.R. 3 Launch Trailer Revisited Jun 18, 2011, 19:42
Jun 18, 2011, 19:42

I always feel like coop in a horror title takes away the very core of the experience of being isolated and vulnerable only to replace it with more action. It's like comparing Resident Evil 5 to Resident Evil 2.

Horror requires total immersion into the gameworld. Co-op completely undermines that by constantly reminding you that are playing a game with a friend. That said, even if F3AR were single-player only, it would still feel completely redundant. FEAR was a wholly self-contained experience. It didn't need sequels or expansion packs.

Jun 18, 2011, 19:26
Re: F.E.A.R. 3 Launch Trailer Revisited Jun 18, 2011, 19:26
Jun 18, 2011, 19:26

But giving us big guns, a 2nd guy with big guns, and mystical powers does NOT make us feel insecure at ANY point in time.

That's usually the way I determine whether the game warrants being a survival horror title or merely an action game with elements of horror.

Being some ripped bodybuilder with forearms the size of trees, powerful weapons, ammo spread out all willy nilly, and checkpoints does not sit well with me when it comes to survival horror.

Call me old school but I loved the fact that in most Resident Evil games, you needed typing ink in order to save your progress. It really made you work hard to play conservatively rather than use all the ink, ammo and health at the first sign of danger.

Resident Evil 2 on normal mode was a fantastic head ache when going for the A ranking and I would have managed an S rating but it's absent in the NTSC version in spite of the fact that it's in the manual.

Jun 18, 2011, 18:04
Re: F.E.A.R. 3 Launch Trailer Revisited Jun 18, 2011, 18:04
Jun 18, 2011, 18:04

Well one things is for sure, COOP and Horror do not work. Re5 was a sick joke, the only scary parts the parts where you were alone. And off-hand, i can't quite remember any... which really means.. that RE5 was a disgrace as a horror game.

Carpenter said a great thing, you only can be sucked into horror if you care for the characters and if you feel insecure (as player in a situation).

So i am not sure what they try to do here with that trailer, its like marketing didn't get what game they try to make, or maybe they did, but then the interviews so far must have all been bull

Jun 18, 2011, 17:36
Re: F.E.A.R. 3 Launch Trailer Revisited Jun 18, 2011, 17:36
Jun 18, 2011, 17:36

I'm worried that the use of a Marilyn Manson song is an unconscious admission that the title will be forced and disingenuous in its creepy/horror theme.

I've been giving serious thought to purchasing this game as I had a ton of fun with the 1st. Unfortunately, I played about 5 minutes of the sequel and felt next to none of the magic that was in the original. So, after watching the launch trailer with the music I can't stand (are they trying to appeal to a crowd from 1999?) I have to admit, I'll be waiting for some reviews.

Jun 18, 2011, 15:59
Re: F.E.A.R. 3 Launch Trailer Revisited Jun 18, 2011, 15:59
Jun 18, 2011, 15:59

When I watch videos for FEAR 3 (sorry, F3AR), I have a hard time trying to figure out what the title is trying to achieve when viewing it from a standpoint of the first title. The first title was a pretty amazing experience, filled with great atmosphere and subtle creepy moment whereas now it just seems like they're throwing it in your face with quirky, random 'monster in closet' mechanics to give a cheap sense of horror.

Furthermore, I feel like the entire 'coop' premise between the pointman and Fettle undermines the horror-based perspective of the game. I always feel like coop in a horror title takes away the very core of the experience of being isolated and vulnerable only to replace it with more action. It's like comparing Resident Evil 5 to Resident Evil 2.

In the end, maybe it's just because weird shit is expected since we're on the third title or that they want to make it more of an action title to appeal to newer players. Either way, I'm not quite sold on this latest installment and will reserve final judgement upon hands on experience.
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older